Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
ATTN ALL Unemployed: Proposed Legislation Would Allow States to Use EUC Funds for 'JOBS' - Ending  Tier Benefits EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
ATTN ALL Unemployed: Proposed Legislation Would Allow States to Use EUC Funds for 'JOBS' - Ending  Tier Benefits EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
ATTN ALL Unemployed: Proposed Legislation Would Allow States to Use EUC Funds for 'JOBS' - Ending  Tier Benefits EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
ATTN ALL Unemployed: Proposed Legislation Would Allow States to Use EUC Funds for 'JOBS' - Ending  Tier Benefits EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
ATTN ALL Unemployed: Proposed Legislation Would Allow States to Use EUC Funds for 'JOBS' - Ending  Tier Benefits EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
ATTN ALL Unemployed: Proposed Legislation Would Allow States to Use EUC Funds for 'JOBS' - Ending  Tier Benefits EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
ATTN ALL Unemployed: Proposed Legislation Would Allow States to Use EUC Funds for 'JOBS' - Ending  Tier Benefits EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
ATTN ALL Unemployed: Proposed Legislation Would Allow States to Use EUC Funds for 'JOBS' - Ending  Tier Benefits EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
ATTN ALL Unemployed: Proposed Legislation Would Allow States to Use EUC Funds for 'JOBS' - Ending  Tier Benefits EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
ATTN ALL Unemployed: Proposed Legislation Would Allow States to Use EUC Funds for 'JOBS' - Ending  Tier Benefits EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
ATTN ALL Unemployed: Proposed Legislation Would Allow States to Use EUC Funds for 'JOBS' - Ending  Tier Benefits EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
ATTN ALL Unemployed: Proposed Legislation Would Allow States to Use EUC Funds for 'JOBS' - Ending  Tier Benefits EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
ATTN ALL Unemployed: Proposed Legislation Would Allow States to Use EUC Funds for 'JOBS' - Ending  Tier Benefits EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
ATTN ALL Unemployed: Proposed Legislation Would Allow States to Use EUC Funds for 'JOBS' - Ending  Tier Benefits EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
ATTN ALL Unemployed: Proposed Legislation Would Allow States to Use EUC Funds for 'JOBS' - Ending  Tier Benefits EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

ATTN ALL Unemployed: Proposed Legislation Would Allow States to Use EUC Funds for 'JOBS' - Ending Tier Benefits

+8
Angelicrisis
exhaustedandtired/1208
Dazed&Confused
gettheminNOVEMBER
Kathleen
Jobless_in_Ma
Abbie
12 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

ATTN ALL Unemployed: Proposed Legislation Would Allow States to Use EUC Funds for 'JOBS' - Ending  Tier Benefits Empty ATTN ALL Unemployed: Proposed Legislation Would Allow States to Use EUC Funds for 'JOBS' - Ending Tier Benefits

Post by Guest Thu May 05, 2011 6:28 pm

House Republicans unveiled a bill on Thursday that would give state governments greater leeway in how they spend federal funds earmarked for benefits for long-term unemployed people.

The legislation, introduced by House Ways & Means Committee Chairman Dave Camp (R., Mich.), would enable states to use the funds for other purposes including investing in job creation programs, repaying money already owed to the federal government through the program, providing tax breaks for employers, or continuing to pay jobless benefits to long-term unemployed people.

But House Democrats quickly slammed the bill because it would allow states to reduce the weeks of jobless benefits offered instead of ensuring up to 99 weeks of unemployment insurance through the end of the year. Some states have already started trimming back the 26 weeks of state-funded benefits.

“This is the opposite of a jobs bill — it is a hatchet job on the unemployment insurance program,” Rep. Sander Levin (D. Mich.), Ranking Member of the Ways & Means Committee said in a statement. “With this legislation, Republicans are proposing to end this year’s guaranteed benefit for the long-term unemployed.”
ATTN ALL Unemployed: Proposed Legislation Would Allow States to Use EUC Funds for 'JOBS' - Ending  Tier Benefits 417578

http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2011/05/05/bill-would-allow-states-to-use-unemployment-funds-for-other-purposes/?mod=google_news_blog

Not good. Sad

Last edited by DesperateInRI on Mon May 09, 2011 1:19 pm; edited 4 times in total

Back to top Go down

ATTN ALL Unemployed: Proposed Legislation Would Allow States to Use EUC Funds for 'JOBS' - Ending  Tier Benefits Empty Re: ATTN ALL Unemployed: Proposed Legislation Would Allow States to Use EUC Funds for 'JOBS' - Ending Tier Benefits

Post by guest Thu May 05, 2011 6:39 pm

ATTN ALL Unemployed: Proposed Legislation Would Allow States to Use EUC Funds for 'JOBS' - Ending  Tier Benefits 681285 ATTN ALL Unemployed: Proposed Legislation Would Allow States to Use EUC Funds for 'JOBS' - Ending  Tier Benefits 545210 BLeep mad

Back to top Go down

ATTN ALL Unemployed: Proposed Legislation Would Allow States to Use EUC Funds for 'JOBS' - Ending  Tier Benefits Empty Re: ATTN ALL Unemployed: Proposed Legislation Would Allow States to Use EUC Funds for 'JOBS' - Ending Tier Benefits

Post by Guest Thu May 05, 2011 6:45 pm

RIGHT! This will create jobs and put people back to work!

It is more like starve them and take away everything they own. I hope the states that do this put aside money for homeless shelters, soup kitchens, food stamps and MASS GRAVES!

bad people!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 05, 2011 6:46 pm

tiya wrote:RIGHT! This will create jobs and put people back to work!

It is more like starve them and take away everything they own. I hope the states that do this put aside money for homeless shelters, soup kitchens, food stamps and MASS GRAVES!

bad people!

I didn't say bad people, I said I D I O T S!!

Back to top Go down

Post by guest Thu May 05, 2011 6:57 pm

DesperateInRI wrote:You forgot to say

Frustrated ATTN ALL Unemployed: Proposed Legislation Would Allow States to Use EUC Funds for 'JOBS' - Ending  Tier Benefits 305108 mad perturd no

Thanks DIRI, that was all I could muster in response at the time, but behind my computer a slew of words were coming out of my mouth and steam out of my ears.

Back to top Go down

Post by guest Thu May 05, 2011 7:24 pm

In what universe does this make sense? Would this not violate the bill that was passed ensuring the 99 weeks? We have already seen in various states in republican controlled legislatures/governorships, bills passed shortening the weeks from 26 to 20 weeks. The same R's are allowing EB to the unemployed to expire prematurely by refusing to implement a 3 yr look back.

Here in this article by the Wall Street Journal, "Number of the Week: Millions Set to Lose Unemployment Benefits". http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2011/04/30/number-of-the-week-millions-set-to-lose-unemployment-benefits/

There’s always a certain number of unemployed who don’t receive benefits. They may have just entered the labor force, quit their jobs or not been eligible for some other reason. But workers didn’t quit their jobs at a higher rate over the past year, and more exited the labor force than entered. That suggests the 1.4-million-person change largely reflects people losing their benefits.

For the more than 4 million Americans still receiving extended benefits, the picture isn’t encouraging. The longer they’ve been out of work, the harder it is to find a job. They’ve typically been unemployed for at least 26 weeks, and may have been out of work for as long as 99 weeks, which for many people is the limit.

In the coming months, hundreds of thousands more will drop off the unemployment rolls. The number of people using up their regular 26 weeks of unemployment payments peaked in August 2009 at nearly 800,000 a month. That means a lot of people should be hitting their 99-week limit right about now. And unless Congress does something unexpected, more people with shorter bouts of unemployment will start joining them as the government phases out extended benefits next year.

Back to top Go down

Post by Abbie Thu May 05, 2011 7:31 pm

My prediction is, if this ever passes, Governors like Kasich here in Ohio will divert the money to schemes like his Jobs Ohio plan which he appointed himself Chairman of and the money will go to his Wall Street buddies, his business cronies and in his pockets.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42232445/ns/msnbc_tv-the_ed_show/

Abbie
Abbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 05, 2011 8:08 pm

aloneinpa wrote:In what universe does this make sense? Would this not violate the bill that was passed ensuring the 99 weeks? We have already seen in various states in republican controlled legislatures/governorships, bills passed shortening the weeks from 26 to 20 weeks. The same R's are allowing EB to the unemployed to expire prematurely by refusing to implement a 3 yr look back.

Here in this article by the Wall Street Journal, "Number of the Week: Millions Set to Lose Unemployment Benefits". http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2011/04/30/number-of-the-week-millions-set-to-lose-unemployment-benefits/

There’s always a certain number of unemployed who don’t receive benefits. They may have just entered the labor force, quit their jobs or not been eligible for some other reason. But workers didn’t quit their jobs at a higher rate over the past year, and more exited the labor force than entered. That suggests the 1.4-million-person change largely reflects people losing their benefits.

For the more than 4 million Americans still receiving extended benefits, the picture isn’t encouraging. The longer they’ve been out of work, the harder it is to find a job. They’ve typically been unemployed for at least 26 weeks, and may have been out of work for as long as 99 weeks, which for many people is the limit.

In the coming months, hundreds of thousands more will drop off the unemployment rolls. The number of people using up their regular 26 weeks of unemployment payments peaked in August 2009 at nearly 800,000 a month. That means a lot of people should be hitting their 99-week limit right about now. And unless Congress does something unexpected, more people with shorter bouts of unemployment will start joining them as the government phases out extended benefits next year.

Great "Letter to the Editor", Congress, POTUS, Senate and all the mainstream media outlets.

This will amend S4213 as is stands, and allow each state to do as they please with the money. So many states have borrowed from the Feds, putting them deeper in debt, you know where that money will go, and it isn't to the unemployed.

With the concerns over this week's first time job claims, and dire predictions from leading economists that we are definitely heading in the wrong direction, I can't even fathom how the GOP could propose this. Also, when major news outlets like the WSJ start reporting on the real number of unemployed and "99er's", you know things are bad. The unemployment crisis has caught the attention of the main stream media at last and these ****** have the nerve to propose a bill like this, under the guise of "job creation".

I'm sure it will come out of the Ways & Means Committee in record time, and pass the House. The problem is going to be when it gets to the Senate. It will get caught up there in debates and filibusters and take months of precious time. The Senate probably won't pass it, but it will drag on. How long did it take for S4213 to pass? Temporary band-aids were put on that bill - the debate on it began in February, 2010 and it finally passed, totally stripped down in December 2010, allowing for the 13 month extension of deadlines.

All this is going to do is distract from from the growing crisis of 99ers and put any legislation that will help us on hold for months.

How many can hold on that long? I know I can't. Even though HR 589 will only add benefits for 14 weeks, that is 14 weeks that I can maintain a roof over my head while seeking that elusive job.

This will make the unemployment rate look wonderful! As people drop off the unemployment rolls after 53, 73 weeks, the rate is going to drop, giving the impression that things really are rosey with the economy.

In my opinion, we have once again been "thrown under the bus".

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 05, 2011 8:22 pm

DesperateInRI wrote:
Abbie wrote:My prediction is, if this ever passes, Governors like Kasich here in Ohio will divert the money to schemes like his Jobs Ohio plan which he appointed himself Chairman of and the money will go to his Wall Street buddies, his business cronies and in his pockets.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42232445/ns/msnbc_tv-the_ed_show/

Wouldn't expect anything less from an ex-Fox News person. I feel bad for the people of Ohio, between him and Boehner, the people have no voice.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Thu May 05, 2011 8:32 pm

This is pure insanity. They are literally going to make families homeless.
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 05, 2011 8:42 pm

More information on it. No wonder David Camp is silent on HR 589 and doing nothing to move it out of committee. He sponsored this new piece of legislation:

Congressional Republicans announced legislation on Thursday that would let states cut unemployment insurance for the long-term jobless and toughen work search requirements for benefits recipients.

The Jobs, Opportunity, Benefits, and Services Act -- get it? "JOBS Act" -- would allow states to use federal funds to pay for state-level jobless benefits and to pay back federal loans to depleted state unemployment trust funds.

The bill is sponsored Rep. Dave Camp (R-Mich.), chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee, which oversees jobless aid. "The JOBS Act is about giving States the flexibility to spend current funds better, preventing job-destroying tax hikes and helping unemployed individuals find new jobs," Camp said in a statement. "It doesn’t add to the deficit, and simply lets States use current funds more wisely."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/05/house-gop-introduces-jobs-act_n_858052.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathleen Thu May 05, 2011 8:43 pm

Sheese - the unemployed are becoming the new "for the children" excuse to drain and funnel $ to politicians pockets.

Just read a comment on a news blog site.
"Remember America? boy, those were good times."
ATTN ALL Unemployed: Proposed Legislation Would Allow States to Use EUC Funds for 'JOBS' - Ending  Tier Benefits 806957
Kathleen
Kathleen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 05, 2011 8:48 pm

wth? Camp needs to go! What is wrong with these people? Unemployment is getting worse and they want to take it away? they all need to be recalled.

What a slimey thing to do!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 05, 2011 8:59 pm

I am convinced now more than ever that they really want a civil war. They want us to flood the streets. The things they propose are infuriating to say the least!!

my latest tweet

unemployed_mass
@RepDaveCamp Does any member of the GOP have a moral compass? From where I sit, you are seriously lacking!! #99ers #HR589

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 05, 2011 9:16 pm

We REALLY need to inundate him with calls, faxes, tweets. I know we have been but we need to set something up so that we are on him 24/7!! everyday all day everynight!! I am sooooo pissed right now I cant see straight!

Huitesuite for twitter allows you to set up tweets in advance.

Back to top Go down

ATTN ALL Unemployed: Proposed Legislation Would Allow States to Use EUC Funds for 'JOBS' - Ending  Tier Benefits Empty Camp, Hatch Bicameral JOBS Act Could End EUC Benefits for Unemployed - Must Read!

Post by Guest Thu May 05, 2011 11:38 pm

Washington, DC – Today, Ways and Means Committee Chairman Dave Camp (R-MI), along with Human Resources Subcommittee Chairman Geoff Davis (R-KY) and Human Resources Subcommittee member Rick Berg (R-ND), introduced the Jobs, Opportunity, Benefits and Services (JOBS) Act of 2011 (HR 1745) in the U.S. House of Representatives. Identical legislation was introduced in the U.S. Senate by Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT), the Ranking Republican on the Senate Finance Committee. Like the Ways and Means Committee in the House, the Finance Committee has jurisdiction over unemployment benefit issues in the Senate.

Under current law, that money could only be spent for unemployment benefits stretching up to 99 weeks in many States. Under the JOBS Act, States could also use the money to prevent job-destroying unemployment tax hikes or for programs designed to get unemployed workers back on the job.
http://waysandmeans.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?DocumentID=239900
ATTN ALL Unemployed: Proposed Legislation Would Allow States to Use EUC Funds for 'JOBS' - Ending  Tier Benefits Camp11
Under current law, the remaining $31 billion in federal unemployment funds could only be spent for unemployment benefits stretching up to 99 weeks in many states. Under the JOBS Act, states could also use the money to prevent unemployment tax hikes or for programs designed to get unemployed workers back on the job.

The bill was introduced in the Senate by Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, the ranking member of the Senate Finance Committee, and in the House by Ways and Means Committee Chairman Dave Camp, R-Mich., Human Resources Subcommittee Chairman Geoff Davis, R-Ky., and Human Resources Subcommittee member Rick Berg, R-N.D.

"Hitting our nation’s job creators with significant tax hikes as a means of replenishing state unemployment programs is bad policy that undermines the ultimate goal a robust economic recovery,” Hatch said in a statement. “This legislation is a fiscally smart way of empowering states by giving them the flexibility they need to strengthen programs for the unemployed, while promoting a pro-growth environment to spur job creation.”
http://tinyurl.com/68fp6ty
ATTN ALL Unemployed: Proposed Legislation Would Allow States to Use EUC Funds for 'JOBS' - Ending  Tier Benefits Orrinh10

Back to top Go down

Post by gettheminNOVEMBER Fri May 06, 2011 12:10 am

Anythig the repukes introduce will NEVER help the people only their corporate scum backers!

You say you want a revolution is running through my head right now.
gettheminNOVEMBER
gettheminNOVEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 06, 2011 12:20 am

gettheminNOVEMBER wrote:Anythig the repukes introduce will NEVER help the people only their corporate scum backers!

You say you want a revolution is running through my head right now.

I think it is time. Camp and Hatch are clueless and heartless. I hope people understand what this bicameral legislation means. It won't matter that 4213 was signed into law last year for the 13 month extension of deadlines, this bill could end that and put the money into the pockets of businesses who don't and won't hire to keep their profits growing.

This is NOT a job creation bill at all. It is legislation for the rich to get even richer and the working class to suffer even more.

btw, wasn't it Hatch who said last year the unemployed were drug addicts who didn't want to work and should be subject to drug testing before receiving benefits?

no

Back to top Go down

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Fri May 06, 2011 12:33 am

I hope members who are not 99ers read this and see what this means. That lil safety net you thought you had...Hanging by a thread right now....
Im going to tweet the heck out of this so the masses know.
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazed&Confused Fri May 06, 2011 9:24 am

Jobs act my bee-hind. Just when you think they can do no more to you, you find out they can and will but I don't think this one will get passed the Senate, nevermind the White House. Republican just make me sick. Dazed
Dazed&Confused
Dazed&Confused

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 06, 2011 9:29 am

Dazed&Confused wrote:Jobs act my bee-hind. Just when you think they can do no more to you, you find out they can and will but I don't think this one will get passed the Senate, nevermind the White House. Republican just make me sick. Dazed

After the news that Rep. Camp introduced this bill in the House, it was announced that Senator Orrin Hatch introduced similar legislation in the Senate yesterday. This bicameral bill could end the way state's pay EUC, thereby ending the current Tier system in place.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 06, 2011 10:56 am

Say "NO" to the Jobs, Opportunity, Benefits and Services (JOBS) Act of 2011, bill numbers S. 904 and H.R. 1745!

mad

Back to top Go down

Post by guest Fri May 06, 2011 11:13 am

DesperateInRI wrote:
Dazed&Confused wrote:Jobs act my bee-hind. Just when you think they can do no more to you, you find out they can and will but I don't think this one will get passed the Senate, nevermind the White House. Republican just make me sick. Dazed

After the news that Rep. Camp introduced this bill in the House, it was announced that Senator Orrin Hatch introduced similar legislation in the Senate yesterday. This bicameral bill could end the way state's pay EUC, thereby ending the current Tier system in place.

Obviously we will have to increase awareness on this, maybe contact Ed Shultz (MSNBC), he has assisted in the past w/ the long term unemployed, but there has been so much going on in this country/world, that our story has been sidelined, we have to get it back and be front and center. We could email Ed/staff and others in the media who have been helpful in the past. Create the same awareness and anger as we saw w/ the medicare issue and how the Republicans wanted to basically eliminate it, the people came out and let the R's know it was unacceptable....result, the R's are backing off. We have to do likewise. Contact all media to assist in getting the word out on what the Republicans are doing to people who are already struggling, down and out. We have to fight back.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next