Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Unemployment burnout - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Unemployment burnout - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Unemployment burnout - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Unemployment burnout - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Unemployment burnout - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Unemployment burnout - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Unemployment burnout - Page 3 EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Unemployment burnout - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Unemployment burnout - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Unemployment burnout - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Unemployment burnout - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Unemployment burnout - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Unemployment burnout - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Unemployment burnout - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Unemployment burnout - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Unemployment burnout

+27
Judi58
mscpateach
Tamy70
couth11
suri
Tawanda
lendmeflight2
wausauguy
MissRi
Arania
endlessPAIN
irishmalou
helpinghand
NY Lady
JoanB
delko
americatheneedy
js123
Sunrise
superstevies
rainer123
nfpexec
laine25
lizalphonso
503Depressed
Jobless_in_Ma
phjohan
31 posters

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Unemployment burnout - Page 3 Empty Unemployment burnout

Post by phjohan Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:28 am

First topic message reminder :

The title says the symptom and there appears no help for recovery. There is help for AA, drugs, gamblers, however not for job seekers burnout. Even the career center appears ignorant to the problem. What do you think? No

phjohan

Back to top Go down

Unemployment burnout - Page 3 Empty Re: Unemployment burnout

Post by Guest Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:13 pm

I wonder when we will be hearing of unemployed persons committing suicide left and right in the main street media?

I hope nobody does but when people are desperate and have no hope.

Or when people have had enough and start protesting in the streets

Back to top Go down

Post by phjohan Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:46 pm

I do not think the media will pay attention to this as career centers do not pay attention. The person in question will be just dissolutional or confused.

phjohan

Back to top Go down

Post by JoanB Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:01 pm

Well, some of us were in the streets today, coming together for a number of reasons including unemployment under the banner of We Are One.

Here in Pittsburgh lots of groups including unions marched through the city to the governor's office and it was at least covered in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. It wasn't just over unemployment, but a host of issues including the union busting that sparked this awakening in Wisconsin. I see people finally waking up to the big picture.
JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Post by phjohan Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:03 pm

@JoanB - great to hear and maybe catching on.

phjohan

Back to top Go down

Post by phjohan Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:39 pm

One of the problems of burnout is anxiety. Problem being, anxiety causes changes in the blood pressure. Thus, overcoming anxiety may help towards some recovery. Unfortunately, I see anxiety like pouring gasoline on the fire.

In any event, in San Diego there exists a professional network group. The speakers have discussed issues related to this posting. Point being with the link, similar groups may exist in other areas. Good luck and we the community are here for moral support.

http://www.theboardroomlajolla.org/boardroom/

phjohan

Back to top Go down

Post by nfpexec Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:14 pm

I think the last interview I had was in January. I'm beginning to think I'm a figment of my own imagination. I'm back in school but barely hanging on, skeptical about ever being employed again, especially when I see ads like this:

You are a great candidate if you:
are a young highly ambitious entrepreneur with a unique drive.
are a person with strong analytical skills and hard working capacity.
have a great personality and attitude and love to do business.
are willing to help and collaborate with your colleagues at all times.
constantly grow with responsibility.
show and share enthusiasm and energy.
prefer flexibility and change to bureaucracy and status quo.
agree with us that good enough is not good enough our ambition is to be the best!

Definitely wouldn't be interested in my not young anymore self!!!!!!
nfpexec
nfpexec

Back to top Go down

Post by phjohan Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:25 pm

@nfpexec - good luck in your schooling. Thus, make good use of your schooling. That is, if the employer does not know, at least you will know.

Besides, there will be statements such as not having the experience.

phjohan

Back to top Go down

Post by JoanB Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:02 pm

nfpexec wrote:I think the last interview I had was in January. I'm beginning to think I'm a figment of my own imagination. I'm back in school but barely hanging on, skeptical about ever being employed again, especially when I see ads like this:

You are a great candidate if you:
are a young highly ambitious entrepreneur with a unique drive.
are a person with strong analytical skills and hard working capacity.
have a great personality and attitude and love to do business.
are willing to help and collaborate with your colleagues at all times.
constantly grow with responsibility.
show and share enthusiasm and energy.
prefer flexibility and change to bureaucracy and status quo.
agree with us that good enough is not good enough our ambition is to be the best!

Definitely wouldn't be interested in my not young anymore self!!!!!!

Uh...isn't that like saying if you:

are a white ambitious...
or
are a male ambitious...

As in seriously against the law?
JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Post by NY Lady Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:37 pm

YB500 wrote:Bad day again Burnout......
I find myself getting more and more quiet. I really do not want to talk to anyone around me and for me that is bad, I'm an outgoing person but in fact I see nothing but an abyss that I am looking into.

More and more I find myself sinking more into depression... At this point I don't even put on a happy face like I used to, now don't get me wrong if I go on a interview THAT's a different story but besides that I am a miserable person now B/C of the fact of the unemployment situation.

You guys might not want to hear this but...
I feel the same - and I did find a job...A crappy, low paying job I hate, that STILL leaves me no money to eat anything other than cheap food. I did put on the smile to get it, and I pretend I like it while I'm there, but this abyss is still looking dark. Knowing I can't quit. Looking, every day, but knowing there's nothing else out there. This burn out is wearing on me just as bad as being unemployed. The days go by just as slow. Some hours are torture and I keep looking at my watch, counting the minutes until I can go. Only to get derpessed to know I'll have to do it again.
I hope this gets better, for all of us. I want a good meal. It's been a LONG time. A restaurant meal where I don't care how much it costs.
So tired.

NY Lady

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:56 am

Yeah... I feel like a robot: get up, turn on laptop, look for jobs, more depression sets in, go for cigarette, go back to laptop, send out resumes, more depression sets in, go for cigarette....

Sux!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by laine25 Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:10 am

YB500 wrote:Yeah... I feel like a robot: get up, turn on laptop, look for jobs, more depression sets in, go for cigarette, go back to laptop, send out resumes, more depression sets in, go for cigarette....

Sux!!!!!!!
;
Do the same everyday....minus the cigarettes! Smile
laine25
laine25

Back to top Go down

Post by americatheneedy Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:55 am

Wow, I get up and eat ice cream instead of smoking. Half the time I can't even find a place to apply. I have resumes out now and really don't expect to hear anything. My husband comes home and asks me what I did all day and I just feel humilitated. Even though I spent the rest of the day cleaning up after him and the kids which of course doesn't count.
americatheneedy
americatheneedy

Back to top Go down

Post by phjohan Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:06 pm

Burnout - from a recent seminar, going to the computer, facebook, and sending blindless resumes is a waste of time. I am sure many have noticed. However, there may be network groups, who have similar interests as your interests. Find them. Besides, the library has business journals in your area. There is a journal which lists companies by trade. Thus, the trade that you are interested in has a list of companies.

In any event, burnout recovery is real and is similar to other stresses.

phjohan

Back to top Go down

Post by laine25 Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:39 pm

Also heard in a networking group that you should attend at least 2 networking events per week and it doesn't have to be work related. Idea is to network with people as it is a better way to obtain a job. Suggestion is that you network in a group that would be something you are interested in, i.e. golf, social networking events. Must admit I have not done this but may consider it.
laine25
laine25

Back to top Go down

Post by phjohan Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:02 pm

Another suggestion was volunteering. Thus, by volunteering, the company name is added to the resume and gains experience. However, volunteering can become a problem. Volunteering pays $0/hr and your smile does not pay the bills. Furthermore, why should an employer pay someone $99/hr when the employer can receive $0/hr? Certainly a burnout condition.

phjohan

Back to top Go down

Post by phjohan Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:20 am

Had my resume reviewed by an HR expert. I informed the expert what I was looking for based on recent education. The expert pointed out that in today's job market, changing careers or opportunities is not good. Of course, then I pointed the overqualified sybdrome and other factors in my resume. Point being, I could teach the new class. Besides, HR does not recognize Jung, Myers, Briggs. The combination of which spells burnout or disaster. Hopefully this is clear and just venting.

phjohan

Back to top Go down

Post by helpinghand Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:58 pm

Jobless_in_Ma wrote:
phjohan wrote:delko - your condition and how you feel is real. Problem being, others do not believe the condition exists. confused

All I can say, try and take a class through your career center and ask for WIA. Point being, the free paid training that you like might improve networking and keep you occupied, while not using your dollars. Good luck.

As far as I know, you have one year to use WIA after that you are out of luck. Most of us feel we would find work in our fields, by the time you realize it seems impossible its too late.

I have a feeling you two are talking about two different programs offered to dislocated workers. I work for a WIA office in Georgia and trust me there is no one-year limitation on eligibility for a dislocated worker under the Workforce Investment Act of 1988. It may possibly be a local policy of theirs but there is no such limitation in the law itself. Ask to see their local policy and if it is a local policy, my suggestion would be to find out when their next Workforce Investment Board meeting is, which is open to the public, and present your case. Ask them to revise their policy and allow for an exception. Check out their website. A lot of local WIA offices has their meeting dates listed on their website. However, whatever you do, do it with tack. Do not go with an attitude and you will most likely be given a chance to apply and be accepted. Our office covers tuition, books and fees associated with attending local technical schools and colleges for most certificate and two year degree programs. Good luck!

helpinghand

Back to top Go down

Post by phjohan Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:27 pm

@helpinghand - I am currently in a WIA program, which is an online course. Thus, the program pays for school and text. There is another associated program in California called California Training Benefits or CTB. This program allows continuance of weekly benefits while in a WIA program. Unfortuantely the CTB has application time limits, which could provide some extended benefits.

In either case, currently working in a library using WIA benefits. As for burnout, yes burnout is here and is ignored.

phjohan

Back to top Go down

Post by americatheneedy Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:46 pm

People like us will never completely recover-if we all found jobs tomorrow, we are changed forever. Our trust is gone, our sense of security stolen forever, out faith in truth and government never will return. Not to mention the long term financial consequences that can't be made up for-and that's if we all got work tomorrow. So, considering that's not happening, we are a stressed, anxious, group in a good deal of pain-but of course since we don't even exist according to the government and are ignored by familiy and friends because they are so terrified we might ask for something-I am obviously not actually here. Frustrated
americatheneedy
americatheneedy

Back to top Go down

Post by phjohan Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:02 pm

@america - even HR thinks we are not here and HR is the Berlin wall equivalence.

phjohan

Back to top Go down

Post by irishmalou Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:29 pm

I am sick of the click and send methd knowing full well I won't receive a call. The only interview came when I was more aggressive and left a voice mail for an HR person at a company. I did get the interview but not the job. I think the more aggressive approach on my part may be the only way I will get anything going. Just a thought.

irishmalou

Back to top Go down

Post by delko Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:24 pm

americatheneedy wrote:People like us will never completely recover-if we all found jobs tomorrow, we are changed forever. Our trust is gone, our sense of security stolen forever, out faith in truth and government never will return. Not to mention the long term financial consequences that can't be made up for-and that's if we all got work tomorrow. So, considering that's not happening, we are a stressed, anxious, group in a good deal of pain-but of course since we don't even exist according to the government and are ignored by familiy and friends because they are so terrified we might ask for something-I am obviously not actually here. Frustrated
You nailed it completely on the head. We are damaged forever. That can never be reversed. I am resigned to the fact that if I ever do find work again, I will never approach it with the faith and zeal I did before this all happened to me. Bear in mind, for the 3rd time since 2003. For 10 months then. Then in 2008, but I lucked out and found work within a month. This time, now going on 13 months. I just dont know if I could ever gut it out again. The office politics, the fear that within a matter of minutes they can call you into the conference room, lay you off, and completely turn your life upside down.

delko

Back to top Go down

Post by delko Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:27 pm

Another rejection notice from Lowes today. Second time they've rejected me with the automated rejection notice. This time for a Seasonal Plumbing Dept Associate. Point is, even underemployment like this is not attainable so far. I am willing to go from a 17 year professional to working doing anything I can. Retail, washing cars, pumping gas, flipping burgers...be it whatever. I cannot even land that!!!!!

delko

Back to top Go down

Post by endlessPAIN Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:54 pm

delko wrote:Another rejection notice from Lowes today. Second time they've rejected me with the automated rejection notice. This time for a Seasonal Plumbing Dept Associate. Point is, even underemployment like this is not attainable so far. I am willing to go from a 17 year professional to working doing anything I can. Retail, washing cars, pumping gas, flipping burgers...be it whatever. I cannot even land that!!!!!

A lot of mega-chains like the one you have identified use predictive modeling on their applications. They only want a particular type of person to work there. This is the reason they use behavior testing. It's usually a multiple choice test around 75 questions with certain questions asked more than once.

There's actually no right or wrong answer on the test you just have to answer the way they want. Then you are moved into the consideration pool. I know some people who helped design the systems and they told me all about them.

Plus, you are probably over-qualified. Look for smaller businesses; they are more likely to hire you for short-term assignments. They don't use the hoop jumping software and will basically take your app and then call you for a interview. If you are a guy try out some short-term contracts in security, furniture moving or warehouse work.

Most of your local employment offices have a "felon friendly" employer list. Usually it's around 6-10 pages long. Hit them up they are usually hiring (you don't need a felony). Typically the work will suck and they will push you around, but it's work.

The trick is to remember that the big huge companies have very focused selection processes and the smaller companies are easier to get into if you just want to work. I personally never apply at huge retail places because I know they only want a particular style of person. Avoid places also that do group interviews. It's just a waste of your time unless you know you fit their profile exactly.

endlessPAIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Arania Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:13 pm

Another rejection today. That makes 3 in two weeks.

Arania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next