Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Unemployment burnout - Page 5 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Unemployment burnout - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Unemployment burnout - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Unemployment burnout - Page 5 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Unemployment burnout - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Unemployment burnout - Page 5 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Unemployment burnout - Page 5 EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Unemployment burnout - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Unemployment burnout - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Unemployment burnout - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Unemployment burnout - Page 5 EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Unemployment burnout - Page 5 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Unemployment burnout - Page 5 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Unemployment burnout - Page 5 EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Unemployment burnout - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Unemployment burnout

+27
Judi58
mscpateach
Tamy70
couth11
suri
Tawanda
lendmeflight2
wausauguy
MissRi
Arania
endlessPAIN
irishmalou
helpinghand
NY Lady
JoanB
delko
americatheneedy
js123
Sunrise
superstevies
rainer123
nfpexec
laine25
lizalphonso
503Depressed
Jobless_in_Ma
phjohan
31 posters

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Unemployment burnout - Page 5 Empty Unemployment burnout

Post by phjohan Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:28 am

First topic message reminder :

The title says the symptom and there appears no help for recovery. There is help for AA, drugs, gamblers, however not for job seekers burnout. Even the career center appears ignorant to the problem. What do you think? No

phjohan

Back to top Go down

Unemployment burnout - Page 5 Empty Re: Unemployment burnout

Post by wausauguy Tue May 17, 2011 12:54 pm

some of the probably well-intentioned comments and words of advice given to me hurt the most. It is usually not in the moment that I realize how demeaning they may be, while I like to believe that demeaning was not the intention, it still hurts.

Comments directing me to apply to this place or that place that they know full well pays minimum wage, when in reality I have applied at least once at these places. Seriously, should I waste time reapplying and calling fo jobs that will dig me a deeper financial pit and cost me to work? I would take the work, but I am not gonna put in tons of effort to get a job when if they meant to hire me they would have on my first application. The bigger issue is when this "advice" is coming from people in very secure jobs, with high pay, they think they are not paid well, but really don' realize it is not possible to run the smallest of households on minimum wage, especially without healthcare insurance.

There is a controlled anger I feel and I am well aware. But, I also know that others in my position would be much more angry. The problem is sometimes, and often for long periods over the last year I was not feeling anger, but deep depression. I am trying so hard to battle depression because I know if I slip into not being able to get out of bed living, there really is no chance of surviving. I want to do more than just survive. I want to thrive, and to be honest in my life, there are only a few months out of my 44 years that I could look back on as thriving. So, my call to the universe is to help me, direct me, to thrive, to somehow even if just in feeling... thrive. I want that for all of us for have been carrying the weight of this new economy.

One thing that angers me is the fact that as a worker, I paid in, my employers paid in, and when it came my turn it seems that I don't qualify. This mainly applies to help for health insurance. As a single adult, he programs are not meant to help me. In Wisconsin in the summer of 2009 they advertised that they now would add uncovered singles, but that quickly came to a halt when they had so many applicants, they did not even allow additional to sign up. But, they did finally allow people to sign up later, at least that is what i was told.

I paid in my COBRA, even talked to State Representative and the state insurance program office and they ASSured me that when I loose my COBRA I would qualify for help. Well I was anxious so a month before I lost coverage I called, and was told again that I could not sign-up on waiting list until I had lost my coverage. I even called more than once, because I just don't trust this stuff. When I lost my coverage I called and was told well there are 70,000 already on waiting list, but we will keep you on waiting list if you take this other program, and pay $130 every month for a more limited program with very high deductible. Ok, I did it, but the kicker is it left me with over a month of lapsed coverage because they told me that they could not cover me because payent had to be 30 days before effective date, but I could not pay 30 days before because they would not let me enroll. I have paid the money monthly, but the kicker is if I do get say temporary work, part-time work that makes me go over the very low income limit for singles I lose elegibility and I then lose my spot on the waiting list and cannot come back on the waiting list for 2 years. So I feel like I am in some crazy scam, I have to pay to stay on the list that I know I will lose my spot at some point.

I really have to go... I sure hope that part of me that is holding on hangs on with more energy but it is getting harder as time goes on.

J

wausauguy

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Tue May 17, 2011 4:39 pm

Wait, so you pay for no coverage whatsoever while you wait to get on the program? On top of all that you could lose your spot on the list?

This is crazy but I don't know why I am surprised.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by suri Tue May 17, 2011 10:00 pm

There is alot of STUPID and CRAZY out there these days! I too have emotionally lost the ability to 'trust' things to work out! I am convinced DH was permanently laid off due to my previous surgeries, dx, and use of health care in the two years previous. Then after COBRA coverage ended I was required to spend 6 months uninsured (I am uninsurable anyway...) and then apply for Healthy Indiana Plan. After 90 days they notify me that they can not any one without dependents, so just the unmarried moms get on. They then refer me for catastrophic coverage with $5,000 deductible to BCBS and a monthly premium of $530!! Are you kidding me??

Yeah, none of these programs were set for the present l/t unemp and intentional unemp of those over 55+ yr. The best revenge is to live --- healthy and happy, as much as possible that's my plan. May you find peace and hope.

suri

Back to top Go down

Post by wausauguy Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:25 pm

When I apply for jobs, I still momentarily think I have a chance. Then it takes just a followup to realize I was a fool once again. I don't think people who have a job or who landed work in a relatively short time understand what the many applications and no fruition of a job does to a person.

Right now, it looks like this is my last week of unemployment benefits. I say it with uncertainty becaue the notices don't make sense and have statements that contradict each other. i have taken part time jobs but those jobs ended, one was a project, other was ended due to busines closure 12/31/2010. It seems so strange but I think I would have been better off if I had not worked at all the last two years.

I am noticing on job applications that they now request information on unemployment that was collected. I find that discriminatory. Isn't it bad enough that I have only had part time or temporary work in the last two years... but they want it spelled out that I collected unemployment. I did not ask my employer to lay off the 3,000 across the country so that the the CEO could take 40 million in pay at the same time jobs were cut. What about the many layers of managment below the CEO as well who had millions or six digit salaries. Where are the ethics? Where is the integrity?

Sometimes I respond here to people, trying to let them know I care and I say trite things not intentionally trite, but I realize later it is trite to tell someone "a job will come your way" or something like that. I sincerely hope it will for all of us, but I also see what is happening.

People are scared of cutting government jobs (I don't like it either) but if taxpaying people do not have enough income to cover taxes AND SPEND some money in businesses etc we cannot resolve where we are. Property taxes go up, fees go up, and I am expected to live on no job or a job with pay that doesn't even pay the bills. And, I have lived a very moderate life, no credit card debt, only mortgage debt. I wonder if all the protesting to save public employee unions could be used to protest companies laying off while increasing pay for others and giving bonuses. I don't know what to think anymore, I see how businesses are run, and I do get it that they need to pay their bills but so many businesse have turned into greed machines. Some companies are forced to cut staff while many others cut just because it will make the bottom line even better or to save more for the top employees.

There is so much wasted talent... and I am not talking about the supposed "star" peformers. I am talking about the caring coworkers who get cut, who would do good things to help their company, their coworker morale. But, from what I see, more often it is the agressive, efficiency crazed, mean spirited people who are changing workplaces into sweatshops.

And health insurance... it makes me sick.. People who do not take responsibility and pop out kids, have been living on the system for years, come out ahead. While a hard worker with over 20 years of full time work has no options, and is deemed a high risk for being overweight or whatever. I find it strange that people who have kids have all the sympathy and programs and it appears that some of us may a well just die and spend our lifes savings just trying to survive.

Sorry for ranting... I know so many have diffriculties.

It is Friday, hope everyone has a good weekend.

John

wausauguy

Back to top Go down

Post by couth11 Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:55 am

I hope you have a good weekend too. I qualify for nothing, either. Those of us who are alone or who haven't anyone who is in a position to offer us a place to stay will be, or are, homeless.
Many background checks include residential histories, so being homeless will show up, any evictions or foreclosures leading up to being homeless will show up. Any credit cards you survived on, but could no longer make payments on will show up. So will student loans you've involuntarily defaulted on. Better still, you won't be able to access your transcripts to show proof of education to a future employer, who now sees a probable psyche ward/substance abusing/lice & bedbug carrying threat to society. And now, if they are asking about collected unemployment- that's just one more strike against us.
I look around, and am curious as to who is employed and who is not...what I see makes no sense, unless we are a nation of nepotism. It is now all about who & not what you know. LinkedIn, "company fit" are key, supposedly. For myself, being alone & jobless has caused me to be treated shabbily at best by my neighbors and my landlord. So much so that I am in the process of getting rid of all that I have so I can throw myself out in anticipation of no longer being able to pay my rent.
couth11
couth11

Back to top Go down

Post by wausauguy Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:46 pm

I struggle finding the words to say what I want to say.

Today, the a stinging pain comes from the news for Wisconsin where they say that "there are jobs" and that there are 3,000 job postings for Northcentral Wisc. I should be happy but it leaves me feeling that awful feeling of "but here I am... what's wrong with me" since I cannot land a job.

This week I have spent hours online searching finding next to nothing. One of the jobs I applied for through jobnet has my resume bounce back as undeliverable.

I am ok, still have means to get by, but it' is really hard working on getting a job and not seeing anything happen.

There are other things in my life of course that are difficult as well, my dad is in the hospital again, and it is not looking good for him. I just feel like I have had enough.

Thanks for listening....

John

wausauguy

Back to top Go down

Post by americatheneedy Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:00 pm

I just got back from putting in a job for waitress. The owner said she would do interviews next week??? Come on people, do you really need two weeks to make a decision about a damn waitress job. I am fricking qualified and she was waiting on a pile of applications I guess so she could feel important.
americatheneedy
americatheneedy

Back to top Go down

Post by americatheneedy Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:00 pm

By the way I was the first to answer the ad, she needs help, I need a job-why all the damn drama. People make me sick.
americatheneedy
americatheneedy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:57 pm

I've seen applications that ask for the last ten years of work history, or more requesting you list all times of unemployment. This is usually put in where the employment experience is also listed. What is this stuff about periods of when you collected UI? Where would that be on an application? I know about checking you criminal/misdeamenor background, and financial background, but asking you about collecting UI is almost like asking you if you collected workmen's comp!! I don't follow this BS. If you were to put down that you collected WC, they would'nt want to hire you, so now I guess if you were laid off from no fault of your own, then you also are not considered a good employee. It's like saying that you might misrepresent yourself, and all you really want the job for is so that later you can get fired or some reason and then get UI through an appeal or however the administrative hearing officer finds you eligible. This crap is really getting bad, just like don't anyone unemployed apply. Think we can get anyone to change the laws, right!

Back to top Go down

Post by couth11 Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:14 pm

John,

I feel your pain. We all know those numbers are skewed. If you look closely, and look at old ads, you will see the same job posted by multiple agencies, along with the originating company. That is 1 job, but it looks like many. And, if you dig a little, you will find that it has been advertised on and off since 2006.
Ditto the postings from hospitals and other major organizations. If the job is legit, and the turnover is that high, there really is something wrong. Chances are, though, the job doesn't actually exist. Did it at one time? Who knows...
It does make us feel like we aren't good enough when we are told these positions exist, but we aren't considered worthy ...It's demoralizing and it is a lie. Maybe it is time a human resources came under some scrutiny...
I hope your dad is ok.
couth11
couth11

Back to top Go down

Post by couth11 Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:20 pm

America- I hope you get the job- maybe it gives her a break from the daily grind Very Happy
couth11
couth11

Back to top Go down

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:25 pm

best of luck America!
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org

Back to top Go down

Post by couth11 Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:18 pm

Does any one else grit there teeth when they are asked to submit their resume online AND fill out a form asking for almost the same information that is on your resume. Not to mention the bizarre questionnaires.

I have seen some that are just wasteful. One test involved preferences. I could only choose between the primary colors (I don't have a preference among those. I happen to like purple, and shades thereof- does that disqualify me? ). There was also a shape preference question. One asked how often I stole from employers.

One (and this was for a general office clerk position (non accounting) asked questions involving geometric and algebraic formulas, some calculus, etc. I did fine on the algebra, but usually people in my age range haven't taken these courses in years, and this is a good way to rule out older people. I couldn't remember the geometric formulas, unfortunately.

IMO, there is a serious problem with human resources if employment is dependent upon any of these silly games. Also- any job hunter who needs to rely on the internet at the library or a workforce center has 20-60 minutes to job hunt, network and conduct business in. They have to spend money to get there. They cannot afford for their time to be wasted.
couth11
couth11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:06 pm

I agree with you, also, be careful with the questionairres, some are from for profit schools who will bombard you with emails and phone calls, I filled it out once and it hasn't stopped. I didn't realize that I could decline because it was in small print at the bottom of the page and I thought the questions were odd for an employer but didn't realize until I sent the completed application that it included this in it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:11 pm

John,

I am so sorry to hear about your Dad. I will keep him in my prayers.

We all know how you feel about the job market. But, please remember, it's not you, for those 3,000+ jobs there are about 15,000 that are applying. Sometimes is just luck of the draw, where and when in the pile your resume and application lands and how motivated the HR people are to actively interview and source the best fits for those positions. It's not you, believe me.

Please stay with us and let us know how you are doing. We are all here for you as well as each other and you will find big shoulders to cry on and good ears for listening. No thanks are necessary.

Take care of yourself and look forward to having you post often.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:10 am

I had a person call to tell me I passed the on-line test, she was so happy. I said, "is it not common to past the test"? She said, "Actually, it is, so we are contacting you to begin discussion about the position". Too funny, I had my husband help me with the math, I'm not good with math, especially the calculus and geometry. I can't really remember when I took any of the classes and when I've had to use that stuff. It was for a call enter job, didn't work out for me anyway. But, I was trying to figure out how those math problems/equations relate to call centers??

Back to top Go down

Post by Tamy70 Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:25 am

I got a job. part time, some weeks I get 23 hours and sometimes I get more at 8.15 an hour. Don't get me wrong, I was excited to get it a week after my UI dried up, they saved me from having nothing. It's at the largest department store chain(can't use names) in the deli, now that I've been there for almost two months I see what management is like and gossip and back stabbing going on, it's nothing like you would ever think. I was unemployed for two years till my UI hit the 99 week mark. Now I make less than unemployment paid. Absolutely nothing else out there, I swear all of the jobs have disappeared or as many of the others have mentioned, they tell you they will contact you next week or they just never call you back even just to tell you they hired someone else. And all of the dumb tests certain employers have you take online, such as asking a question one way in #3 and asking the same question in #20? I am by far an dumb person, but I have been made to feel like one. What happened to actual temp agencies where they just send you to the job? Why all the the interviews for a temp job????? That's the whole thing of going through an agency, if they don't like you, they don't hire you and they just end your job.
Tamy70
Tamy70

Back to top Go down

Post by mscpateach Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:20 pm

OK. Here’s my story…I am tired of being told that I am overqualified for standard jobs in my field. I know that I am overqualified but I need to eat, maintain a roof over my head and supply heat in the winter and air in the summer. Now I’m told that because the bulk of my experience in the last 10 years is in non-profits organization that I can only expect to be employed in that area. For some reason recruiters and hiring mangers think non-profit accounting takes less work or less brains than for profit-accounting. That’s total BS and just another excuse to not hire me because I am not a size 6, I am a minority and I am 45 years old and I look it!
I am now seeking a professional certificate in my industry that is much respected in hopes of landing a position that before this job market I could have landed without it! When I left my job in summer of 2009 I never thought that finding a full time job with decent benefits would be next to impossible. These companies are taking full advantage of the “employer’s market” situation and some are walking a fine line toward breaking the law with all the new brands of discrimination. To make the matters worst our lease is up in 2 months and the rent has been raised by $47 and my 12 year old vehicle needs another major repair!
Tammy70, I agree with you why all the interviewing for temp job?

mscpateach

Back to top Go down

Post by Judi58 Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:13 pm

I am so done with everything... Today actually first a couple of weeks ago my "FRIEND" called me to come to her shop so it looked as if she had a lot of people working when a cust came in to check her out ( she is a small mfg of cables) so of course I went to help.. ( my gas and time) when I got there I found out she had hired a part time person who does the same thing I did for 30 years... first punch... then she said she would bring me in to help with things that I can do to help her move forward with MORE BIZ... she has canceled each time I was suppose to go Monday. then Friday then Tuesday... you get it.. for this she would pay me on a 1099 but at this point anything helps ( I am a 99er) today she also let me know she hired another person to do her filing and such.. things I could do if not just to keep the lights on.. I am so angry and sad.. this is my friend I thought.. She know just how bad things are.. So here I sit having just gone to get food with food stamps that I HATE and wondering how long the phone will be on.. I refuse to ask anyone for help again as some know another friend helped me get contacts so I can see.. I feel like a drain on all... I just want to give up... Relax I wont do anything to myself ( disclaimer Very Happy ) But I am so angry I am passed depressed and into rage... I am staying away from people and cant bring myself to even answer my phone anymore.. No job No car No hope... I am going to school only good thing but it is summer break and no school money until Aug... wonder what happens until then.... I know I am rambling sorry... just needed to vent while crying.. ( I guess I am still sad) confused
Judi58
Judi58

Back to top Go down

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:34 pm

IM sorry to hear that Judy.. Im also working right now but on a 1099. I was a 99er so I had no choice but to accept the job and the NO BENNIES etc.

Things are not well here in the Great Ole U.S of A.
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Judi58 Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:37 pm

I would work on a 1099 anything... My friend keeps hiring other people.. bad enough when you go on a interview and get stung but a friend ... Makes you second guess everything you are....
Judi58
Judi58

Back to top Go down

Post by couth11 Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:13 pm

I don't know what is wrong with people! Judi, I'm sorry this happened to you. You are lucky to be going to school! What are you studying?
couth11
couth11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:18 pm

I am also very sorry to hear about this Judi. I wonder if there might be some other reason why this has happened, you could not have misjudged her friendship to this point. I know that it will be hard for you, but for your peace of mind and soul, could you maybe bring it up to her in some way that would not make her feel defensive. Find out why she is not considering you for any work that you could be doing. If she knows your situation, then I don't think it could be that you are way too expensive or something along those lines. There probaby is a good reason, at least on her part, but she should be willing to discuss it with you, if she is your friend. Again, hang in Judi - that sucks.

Back to top Go down

Post by wausauguy Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:20 pm

couth11 I agree about the online applications. I realize I should be happy to do all the work filling out the online applications, but doing it over and over and each seems to want extra information.

Lately I have noticed that they want detailed information on unemployment collected. As if they would not already s gap in employment history. It is downright mean that they want me to detail my weeks of unemployment.

Human Resources needs to be renamed, more like inhumane. As I write this I feel bad about the negative I am writing about. Still, this is the harsh reality. I took college courses in HR, and the professors and HR theory are mean spirited and this is where many managers learn.

When I started taking night courses in HR I had this idea it was about helping people grow in their jobs, well the company I worked for was in hard times in the most of the 1990's. I watched how the best were leaving or even let go. So I got out in 2003, landed a job with a company I wanted to work for since I was a kid and toured the building. The dream turned into a nightmare, after 5 years and a 3rd boss I was made to feel worthless on the job, and I should not take it personally as the economy was the issue, long story, but my accounts were more difficult. Then I got to experience the being let go first hand in 2009 at a much bigger company.

Last edited by wausauguy on Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

wausauguy

Back to top Go down

Post by wausauguy Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:25 pm

I do not see how it is common practice for some employees to be worth say 100,000 or more.... the 40million for a ceo in the same company that let 3,000 go. Where are the ethics in classes? They simply teach profit and bonuses while more and more people live on say $10,$20, or $30K a year.

wausauguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next