Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
With unemployment still high, hiring managers are excluding smokers.  - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
With unemployment still high, hiring managers are excluding smokers.  - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
With unemployment still high, hiring managers are excluding smokers.  - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
With unemployment still high, hiring managers are excluding smokers.  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
With unemployment still high, hiring managers are excluding smokers.  - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
With unemployment still high, hiring managers are excluding smokers.  - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
With unemployment still high, hiring managers are excluding smokers.  - Page 2 EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
With unemployment still high, hiring managers are excluding smokers.  - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
With unemployment still high, hiring managers are excluding smokers.  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
With unemployment still high, hiring managers are excluding smokers.  - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
With unemployment still high, hiring managers are excluding smokers.  - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
With unemployment still high, hiring managers are excluding smokers.  - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
With unemployment still high, hiring managers are excluding smokers.  - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
With unemployment still high, hiring managers are excluding smokers.  - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
With unemployment still high, hiring managers are excluding smokers.  - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

With unemployment still high, hiring managers are excluding smokers.

+4
mistermunster
sbraney
kelly
Jobless_in_Ma
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

With unemployment still high, hiring managers are excluding smokers.  - Page 2 Empty With unemployment still high, hiring managers are excluding smokers.

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:09 pm

First topic message reminder :

More discrimination.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/41780533/ns/business-careers/

This is infuriating, and we wonder why were still out of work. Basically all they want are to recycle those already in the work force. No consideration to the 15+ million jobs shipped over seas. Apparently if we were valuable employees those jobs would never of been shipped over seas.. Where is the logic in that? With unemployment still high, hiring managers are excluding smokers.  - Page 2 619286
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org

Back to top Go down

With unemployment still high, hiring managers are excluding smokers.  - Page 2 Empty Re: With unemployment still high, hiring managers are excluding smokers.

Post by mistermunster Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:31 pm

DesperateInRI wrote:
mistermunster wrote:
kemcha wrote:mistermunster, I know that feeling, all too well. Then, if you're a non-smoker, you get blamed for it, as if it were your fault that they smoke.

Corporate PROFITS to addict and KILL you with their poison product.

So do drugs and alcohol. I enjoy a drink maybe two or three times a year and I am NOT a prohibitionist. But tell me, what are they going to do when the tobacco industry dies? From Maryland to South Carolina, a lot of people are going to be without a job.

alcohol is alcohol. It does what it does to the human body. Tobacco unfortunately has BEEN enhanced and made more toxic and addictive by those who make, peddle and profit from it. That has been a corporate decision to KEEP their profit margins up. How much stuff do we eat that really has too much chemical ENHANCEMENT that is not good or healthy. chemical ENHANCEMENT are a corporate decision to CUT cost and profit more. Our health be damned.
mistermunster
mistermunster

Back to top Go down

With unemployment still high, hiring managers are excluding smokers.  - Page 2 Empty Re: With unemployment still high, hiring managers are excluding smokers.

Post by Guest Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:34 pm

I am a smoker and not proud of it. I also think that smoking has become more dangerous as the years go on because of all the poison they keep adding to the natural tobacco. They add the chemicals IMO to keep us addicted and to keep us spending our money on it. I have tried to quit several times and failed miserably every time Crying or Very sad
I am convinced that it is all a big conspiracy Suspect

Back to top Go down

Post by chopthis91 Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:45 pm

mistermunster wrote:
kemcha wrote:mistermunster, I know that feeling, all too well. Then, if you're a non-smoker, you get blamed for it, as if it were your fault that they smoke.

Corporate PROFITS to addict and KILL you with their poison product.

More Republican loyalists who are supported in Washington through special interests. Shame on all of them for pushing DEATH AND SUFFERING!!
chopthis91
chopthis91

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:46 pm

Smoking and drinking are not at all the same. Drinking in moderation causes no ill health. Many studies have shown that. If you smoke in moderation the same is true but how many of you do that? Not many I bet. I dated this girl once who said she only "smoked when she drank" I got in her car and the ashtray was full and the entire care smelled like crap. I was like "do you drink in your care"? People fool themselves into thinking they don't smoke much but they really do and they are very addicted. I drink maybe once a week (when I was working) and I have never had an alcohol problem.

I have no problems working with people who smoke but sraney is right, smokers usually require more breaks and much more lost time. If you can only smoke on your lunch break and your two 15 minute breaks a day then I see no problem with it. However, in my experience, this is rarely the case. They have smoke before they start any new project and usually smoke once an hour I have found. I don't get a break once an hour.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by NY Lady Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:29 pm

As far as the smell of smokers: YUK, I hate it too - and I smoke! The last job I had, I hid it for a long time, until I didn't care about the job anymore. And people said: you smoke? I was careful not to try and smell like a smoker. I Hate that!
BUT - I have to say, some co-workers perfume/aftershave smells makes me sick too! I think they think it's a good thing to be stinking up the place, and everything they touch with their cheap stench. It makes me wonder what smell they are trying to cover up - B.O.
And how about the odor of a drinker, the morning after - yUK! I've worked around a couple of those. THAT's a smell you can't wash away. Do you think you DON"T stink? Think again.

NY Lady

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:35 pm

As far as the perfume goes, a lot of people over do it not realizing some of their co-workers may be allergic to it. I have seen that happen many times in the work place.

IMO, the morning after drinker sweats the odor of alcohol! YUK is right!

Back to top Go down

Post by NY Lady Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:59 pm

I actually can understand employers not wanting to hire smokers though. It does cost them more in insurance. Last job I had, that included health insurance, it also cost ME twice as much as a non-smoker.
If I ever get another job - I am not going to smoke at work at all, and say I am a non-smoker. Maybe I could quit then...

NY Lady

Back to top Go down

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:19 pm

Allowing this to happen only opens up the door for more types of discrimination. They wont stop there by any means. If your over weight, if your of certain ethnicity that are susceptible to certain illnesses etc. The list could go on and on.

Since when did we let healthcare companies dictate our morality.
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org

Back to top Go down

Post by MoInSTL Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:43 pm

I'm a smoker and I am careful to wash my hands with soap after smoking outside at work and followed each cigarette with a breath mint. There are few places that don't require smokers be in a designated smoking area away from doors and non-smokers. I also had nicotine gum with me for times it was too cold or inconvenient. I don't care for non-smokers lumping all smokers together. I too have tried to quit but not successful yet. I am allergic to large amounts of cologne and perfume too & cough uncontrollably from it. In recent years there are more & more scent free events.

Last edited by MoInSTL on Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
MoInSTL
MoInSTL

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:48 pm

I think, as more and more abuses become prevalent, that we'll start seeing more courts addressing the legal discrimination of smokers as an abuse of worker's rights.

It's the same reason why I believe that New York's recently passed law, prohibiting anyone from smoking in parks and in beaches, will not survive a court challenge. While smoking in public buildings should be restricted, I think by carrying that statute to include public beaches and parks, considering its our taxdollars to pay for them, flies in the faces of every taxpayer.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:57 pm

DesperateInRI wrote:
rgreen001 wrote:Duh, how do they know if you smoke lol!

You have to sign a form stating you don't and if they smell it on you, you are gone. Evil or Very Mad

The form I understand. Smell it? Surprised

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2