Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
House GOP bill renews jobless benefit EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
House GOP bill renews jobless benefit EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
House GOP bill renews jobless benefit EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
House GOP bill renews jobless benefit EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
House GOP bill renews jobless benefit EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
House GOP bill renews jobless benefit EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
House GOP bill renews jobless benefit EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
House GOP bill renews jobless benefit EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
House GOP bill renews jobless benefit EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
House GOP bill renews jobless benefit EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
House GOP bill renews jobless benefit EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
House GOP bill renews jobless benefit EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
House GOP bill renews jobless benefit EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
House GOP bill renews jobless benefit EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
House GOP bill renews jobless benefit EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

House GOP bill renews jobless benefit

5 posters

Go down

House GOP bill renews jobless benefit Empty House GOP bill renews jobless benefit

Post by Sammy Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:01 pm

AP Sources: House GOP bill renews jobless benefit

DAVID ESPO | December 1, 2011 11:29 AM EST | Associated Press

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WASHINGTON — Republican officials say legislation being drafted in the House would renew an expiring program of unemployment benefits at a time of 9 percent joblessness.

The measure also would extend a Social Security payroll tax cut. Both are due to expire at the end of the year.

The officials say the cost of provisions will be offset to avoid increasing the deficit.

The officials say the measure will be made public as early as Friday, and brought to a House vote as soon as next week.

It's the second indication in as many days that lawmakers want to wrap up the year with a compromise on legislation sought by President Barack Obama.

The officials who spoke did so on condition of anonymity to provide details in advance of a formal announcement.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20111201/congress-payroll-tax/

I think everyone knew they would tie it to Payroll Tax Cuts. They'll bicker for a little while then it will pass as a package deal just like I knew it would.
Sammy
Sammy

Back to top Go down

House GOP bill renews jobless benefit Empty Re: House GOP bill renews jobless benefit

Post by Sammy Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:41 pm

No One has any thoughts on this?
Sammy
Sammy

Back to top Go down

House GOP bill renews jobless benefit Empty Re: House GOP bill renews jobless benefit

Post by Guest Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:51 pm

I am wondering what it is they will want to cut in order to pay for it. Usually when dealing with the GOP its something that will hurt the middle class and/or poor. Hoping thats not the case this time but we shall see.

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsnut Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:56 pm

Sounds promising, but I doubt it includes HR 589 for the 99ers! Like you I figured they'd extend the tiers, next year is an election year afterall!

sportsnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:15 pm

In my opinion this is a ploy by the GOP. They will cut something that shouldn't be cut then blame it on the unemployed for
not having jobs.
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:28 pm

Yeah I see this going two possible ways. They will either tie this to cutting something that the democrats can't cut, in which case it's a ploy so that they can point at dems and say they did nothing, or it will be tied to some future cut in which case the dems should go for it. They can always change that later. The republicans have never made a move like this before so we will have to wait and see. It has always been tied to some provision giving the house away to the rich.

Interesting. You can tell it's an election year.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sammy Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:40 pm

It's all about compromise...........Dems win some and Repugs win some.
Like I said, they will bicker and come to some common ground. There will be some cuts that hurt the poor and middle class, and there will be some taxing that Repugs don't want. It's typical posturing and compromise, but both extensions need to get done within a couple weeks and will.
Sammy
Sammy

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:04 pm

I agree with your assessment, more than ever I feel like they are all on the same team. I will point out that there hasn't been much(and by much I mean none) compromise from the republicans before. I think if this doesn't pass it will be the dems that screw it up. This is why I am concerned that it will just be like all the other times when the republicans agree to pass something that helps the unemployed but tying it to something, like cutting social security, that the dems won't do. They have been much better at the political game than the left has in the last few years.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sammy Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:20 pm

Repugs will come out with a sweeter deal as usual, but it will get done probably next week.
Sammy
Sammy

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:25 pm

It seems from the yahoo article that the GOP bill wants to pay for the extension by eliminating 200,000 federal jobs, raising medicare premiums for the wealthy and stopping anyone with a seven figure income from getting unemployment benefits and food stamps. I don't think losing the 200,000 jobs is a good idea but maybe that can be negotiated out. I am ok with everything else. This should pass. Apparently tax filers making over $1 million a year received $20 million in unemployment benefits in 2009.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sammy Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:43 pm

Yeah, the Federal job freeze will be the main obstacle as well as the surtax on millionaires.
Sammy
Sammy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:49 pm

I wonder what federal jobs will be cut.

I agree, I am ok with the rest of it, but I have never heard of anyone receiving food stamps that make that much money. its absurd. I dont understand that part of it.

I just saw this talked about on one of the talk shows, I think it was the ed show, and I thought it was joke. my husband thought we must of heard it wrong!! I guess not!! affraid

Seriously though, can anyone imagine walking in to the welfare office to apply for FS when you make 7 figures?? they would laugh you right out of the office!! lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Marian Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:05 pm

I've been looking for this and have yet to see that they have made this public or have voted on it. Anyone know more?

Thanks!
Marian
Marian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down