Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Yes, We Need Jobs. But What Kind? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Yes, We Need Jobs. But What Kind? EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Yes, We Need Jobs. But What Kind? EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Yes, We Need Jobs. But What Kind? EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Yes, We Need Jobs. But What Kind? EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Yes, We Need Jobs. But What Kind? EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Yes, We Need Jobs. But What Kind? EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Yes, We Need Jobs. But What Kind? EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Yes, We Need Jobs. But What Kind? EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Yes, We Need Jobs. But What Kind? EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Yes, We Need Jobs. But What Kind? EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Yes, We Need Jobs. But What Kind? EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Yes, We Need Jobs. But What Kind? EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Yes, We Need Jobs. But What Kind? EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Yes, We Need Jobs. But What Kind? EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Yes, We Need Jobs. But What Kind?

+6
truth
tristen303
mistermunster
gettheminNOVEMBER
JoanB
lendmeflight2
10 posters

Go down

Yes, We Need Jobs. But What Kind? Empty Yes, We Need Jobs. But What Kind?

Post by Guest Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:50 am

ON Thursday, President Obama will deliver a major speech on America’s employment crisis. But too often, what is lost in the call for job creation is a clear idea of what jobs we want to create.

I recently led a research team to the Rio Grande Valley in Texas, where Gov. Rick Perry, a contender for the Republican presidential nomination, has advertised his track record of creating jobs. From January 2000 to January 2010, employment in the Valley grew by a remarkable 42 percent, compared with our nation’s anemic 1 percent job growth.

But the median wage for adults in the Valley between 2005 and 2008 was a stunningly low $8.14 an hour (in 2008 dollars). One in four employed adults earned less than $6.19 an hour. The Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas reported that the per capita income in the two metropolitan statistical areas spanning the Valley ranked lowest and second lowest in the nation.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/06/opinion/yes-we-need-jobs-but-what-kind.html?_r=1&src=tp

Back to top Go down

Yes, We Need Jobs. But What Kind? Empty Re: Yes, We Need Jobs. But What Kind?

Post by lendmeflight2 Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:00 pm

This is a typical New York Times Article. It is absolutely correct but it won't mean anything to Rick Perry's base. The premise is that he created jobs paying $8 an hour and that's not enough money. Where I live now, the average guy starting at a factory doing hard labor gets paid about $8 and hour because we have no unions. They are going to look at this article and be impressed that he created jobs even though they were stolen from other states.

Rick Perry will be a force for Obama to reckon with. My mother asked me yesterday if I thought Rick Perry would make a good president. This is coming from a woman who has never voted for a republican in her life. This means that she is hearing a lot about Perry from people that she knows which means that he is gaining steam fast.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by JoanB Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:36 pm

I keep thinking that he's peaking too soon, lendme, but what do I know? And then I keep thinking that there can't be enough dumbasses to elect someone like him until I remember Bush...but then he wasn't really elected, but still.

Damn, it could happen again, couldn't it?

JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Post by gettheminNOVEMBER Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:23 pm

lendmeflight2 wrote:This is a typical New York Times Article. It is absolutely correct but it won't mean anything to Rick Perry's base. The premise is that he created jobs paying $8 an hour and that's not enough money. Where I live now, the average guy starting at a factory doing hard labor gets paid about $8 and hour because we have no unions. They are going to look at this article and be impressed that he created jobs even though they were stolen from other states.

Rick Perry will be a force for Obama to reckon with. My mother asked me yesterday if I thought Rick Perry would make a good president. This is coming from a woman who has never voted for a republican in her life. This means that she is hearing a lot about Perry from people that she knows which means that he is gaining steam fast.

Another thing he has going for him is Money. We has raised tons of it.

On the other hand is his Book and his own Mouth. He threatened Bernake and called SS a ponzi scheme. He might just be too up front radical? Even the Koch brothers know Obama will be tough to beat. They said so today and referenced Obama as Saddam Hussein.
gettheminNOVEMBER
gettheminNOVEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:20 am

JoanB wrote:I keep thinking that he's peaking too soon, lendme, but what do I know? And then I keep thinking that there can't be enough dumbasses to elect someone like him until I remember Bush...but then he wasn't really elected, but still.

Joan, I don't think he has peaked yet. If no one else enters the race he will gain the ticket with a fuehrur-esque shout from the right wing American people who think that just a little fascism will make everything aaaaalllllllll better just like back in '32.

We are so stupid that we don't remember or never knew.

Another cowboy president, it very well could happen again.

I have been predicting this for 2 years and now their leader has arrived.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by mistermunster Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:25 am

lendmeflight2 wrote:
JoanB wrote:I keep thinking that he's peaking too soon, lendme, but what do I know? And then I keep thinking that there can't be enough dumbasses to elect someone like him until I remember Bush...but then he wasn't really elected, but still.

Joan, I don't think he has peaked yet. If no one else enters the race he will gain the ticket with a fuehrur-esque shout from the right wing American people who think that just a little fascism will make everything aaaaalllllllll better just like back in '32.

We are so stupid that we don't remember or never knew.

Another cowboy president, it very well could happen again.

I have been predicting this for 2 years and now their leader has arrived.

This NEW Cowboy is MORE dangerous than the last one. Guy is a Religious "Armageddonist" and I want him NOWHERE near the NUCLEAR football. Bush was a genius compared to Perry.
mistermunster
mistermunster

Back to top Go down

Post by tristen303 Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:39 am

lendmeflight2 wrote:This is a typical New York Times Article. It is absolutely correct but it won't mean anything to Rick Perry's base. The premise is that he created jobs paying $8 an hour and that's not enough money. Where I live now, the average guy starting at a factory doing hard labor gets paid about $8 and hour because we have no unions. They are going to look at this article and be impressed that he created jobs even though they were stolen from other states.

He didn't create crap some of us on the right find this BS just funny. The good jobs came from Cali (due to that mismanaged states terrible policies) so taking jobs from one state and adding them to another isn't job creation..job theft but hey Cali made their bed. Maybe he would be good since he's good at taking jobs from one state to another he should run on "What I did to Cali I will do to China".

tristen303

Back to top Go down

Post by truth Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:44 am

While I am certainly not a Perry fan, it would be nice to see somebody take on the Chinese. They've played us for patsies for at least 30 years. I have long thought that their import-export policies have thrown world trade way off balance and are big part of the world's economic problems. It's past time to start moving back toward equilibrium.

We let in everything from China while they impose barrier after barrier to our products, and they turn a blind as a bat's eye toward Chinese counterfeiting of foreign brands.

For example, China is now generously going to allow all of about 20 (up from 6) US films into their huge (and I suspect eager) filmgoing market as long as Chinese companies (crony capitalist or state-run) get the lion's share of any profits. A larger chunk of movie money, however, might give California's economy a bit of a needed boost.

The "free-trade" agreements with China should be renegotiated. If tariffs are the only solution to Chinese cheating, so be it. I think anything else will meet with the usual Chinese stonewalling and continued unfair practices.

By the way, I don't excuse either party for this situation, and I also blame the corporations that have been willing to play along with the Chinese for short-term gain.

truth

Back to top Go down

Post by wausauguy Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:23 am

Free trade benefited China far more than US. Prices of so many things may have gone down, but now we don't have enough jobs so we cannot even buy cheap goods, which even cuts into China profits.

It is too bad that professors who taught so many of the CEO's did not drill it in the soon to be managers that employees must have jobs with living wages to buy what is made or the system fails.

Really so much common sense, but seems so little common sense drives businesses and politicians who are simply focused on making quick short-term profits and making themselves look good.

wausauguy

Back to top Go down

Post by exhaustedandtired/1208 Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:52 am

They'll be plenty of rail, roads and bridges jobs soon! So everyone can find a job in those sectors!

exhaustedandtired/1208

Back to top Go down

Post by TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:00 am

Joan, we just spent this weekend with my in-laws who are in their eighties and are lifelong Democrats, who have crossed over in the past. Thank heavens they are seeing right through the republicans agenda. We can only hope that our older Americans don't get fooled again.

TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA

Back to top Go down

Post by WilliamsonAngel Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:17 pm

exhaustedandtired/1208 wrote:They'll be plenty of rail, roads and bridges jobs soon! So everyone can find a job in those sectors!

Unless you're physically disabled and can't be on your feet.
WilliamsonAngel
WilliamsonAngel

http://www.zandrae.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:49 pm

wausauguy wrote:Free trade benefited China far more than US. Prices of so many things may have gone down, but now we don't have enough jobs so we cannot even buy cheap goods, which even cuts into China profits.

It is too bad that professors who taught so many of the CEO's did not drill it in the soon to be managers that employees must have jobs with living wages to buy what is made or the system fails.

Really so much common sense, but seems so little common sense drives businesses and politicians who are simply focused on making quick short-term profits and making themselves look good.

I really think that they are taught that as long as they have enough money then everyone else can fend for themselves or not. The capitalism myth tells you that you only work a low paying job because you aren't qualified for anything else. I am qualified for a lot of things but am now hoping for my low paying job to come through.

lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down