Latest topics
» I see this board has been quiet
Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Wed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:01 pm by member

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:33 am by 

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

» things are going to get worst
Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:51 pm by 

Social Networks
December 2016
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
    123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

Calendar Calendar


Yes, We Need Jobs. But What Kind?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Yes, We Need Jobs. But What Kind?

Post by Guest on Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:50 am

ON Thursday, President Obama will deliver a major speech on America’s employment crisis. But too often, what is lost in the call for job creation is a clear idea of what jobs we want to create.

I recently led a research team to the Rio Grande Valley in Texas, where Gov. Rick Perry, a contender for the Republican presidential nomination, has advertised his track record of creating jobs. From January 2000 to January 2010, employment in the Valley grew by a remarkable 42 percent, compared with our nation’s anemic 1 percent job growth.

But the median wage for adults in the Valley between 2005 and 2008 was a stunningly low $8.14 an hour (in 2008 dollars). One in four employed adults earned less than $6.19 an hour. The Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas reported that the per capita income in the two metropolitan statistical areas spanning the Valley ranked lowest and second lowest in the nation.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/06/opinion/yes-we-need-jobs-but-what-kind.html?_r=1&src=tp

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Yes, We Need Jobs. But What Kind?

Post by lendmeflight2 on Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:00 pm

This is a typical New York Times Article. It is absolutely correct but it won't mean anything to Rick Perry's base. The premise is that he created jobs paying $8 an hour and that's not enough money. Where I live now, the average guy starting at a factory doing hard labor gets paid about $8 and hour because we have no unions. They are going to look at this article and be impressed that he created jobs even though they were stolen from other states.

Rick Perry will be a force for Obama to reckon with. My mother asked me yesterday if I thought Rick Perry would make a good president. This is coming from a woman who has never voted for a republican in her life. This means that she is hearing a lot about Perry from people that she knows which means that he is gaining steam fast.

lendmeflight2
Member

Posts : 1219
Join date : 2011-02-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Yes, We Need Jobs. But What Kind?

Post by JoanB on Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:36 pm

I keep thinking that he's peaking too soon, lendme, but what do I know? And then I keep thinking that there can't be enough dumbasses to elect someone like him until I remember Bush...but then he wasn't really elected, but still.

Damn, it could happen again, couldn't it?


JoanB
Member

Posts : 485
Join date : 2011-03-01
Location : Pittsburgh, PA

Back to top Go down

Re: Yes, We Need Jobs. But What Kind?

Post by gettheminNOVEMBER on Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:23 pm

lendmeflight2 wrote:This is a typical New York Times Article. It is absolutely correct but it won't mean anything to Rick Perry's base. The premise is that he created jobs paying $8 an hour and that's not enough money. Where I live now, the average guy starting at a factory doing hard labor gets paid about $8 and hour because we have no unions. They are going to look at this article and be impressed that he created jobs even though they were stolen from other states.

Rick Perry will be a force for Obama to reckon with. My mother asked me yesterday if I thought Rick Perry would make a good president. This is coming from a woman who has never voted for a republican in her life. This means that she is hearing a lot about Perry from people that she knows which means that he is gaining steam fast.

Another thing he has going for him is Money. We has raised tons of it.

On the other hand is his Book and his own Mouth. He threatened Bernake and called SS a ponzi scheme. He might just be too up front radical? Even the Koch brothers know Obama will be tough to beat. They said so today and referenced Obama as Saddam Hussein.

gettheminNOVEMBER
Member

Posts : 2626
Join date : 2011-02-21
Age : 42

Back to top Go down

Re: Yes, We Need Jobs. But What Kind?

Post by lendmeflight2 on Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:20 am

JoanB wrote:I keep thinking that he's peaking too soon, lendme, but what do I know? And then I keep thinking that there can't be enough dumbasses to elect someone like him until I remember Bush...but then he wasn't really elected, but still.

Damn, it could happen again, couldn't it?



Joan, I don't think he has peaked yet. If no one else enters the race he will gain the ticket with a fuehrur-esque shout from the right wing American people who think that just a little fascism will make everything aaaaalllllllll better just like back in '32.

We are so stupid that we don't remember or never knew.

Another cowboy president, it very well could happen again.

I have been predicting this for 2 years and now their leader has arrived.

lendmeflight2
Member

Posts : 1219
Join date : 2011-02-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Yes, We Need Jobs. But What Kind?

Post by mistermunster on Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:25 am

lendmeflight2 wrote:
JoanB wrote:I keep thinking that he's peaking too soon, lendme, but what do I know? And then I keep thinking that there can't be enough dumbasses to elect someone like him until I remember Bush...but then he wasn't really elected, but still.

Damn, it could happen again, couldn't it?



Joan, I don't think he has peaked yet. If no one else enters the race he will gain the ticket with a fuehrur-esque shout from the right wing American people who think that just a little fascism will make everything aaaaalllllllll better just like back in '32.

We are so stupid that we don't remember or never knew.

Another cowboy president, it very well could happen again.

I have been predicting this for 2 years and now their leader has arrived.

This NEW Cowboy is MORE dangerous than the last one. Guy is a Religious "Armageddonist" and I want him NOWHERE near the NUCLEAR football. Bush was a genius compared to Perry.

mistermunster
Member

Posts : 847
Join date : 2011-02-19
Age : 54
Location : ca

Back to top Go down

Re: Yes, We Need Jobs. But What Kind?

Post by tristen303 on Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:39 am

lendmeflight2 wrote:This is a typical New York Times Article. It is absolutely correct but it won't mean anything to Rick Perry's base. The premise is that he created jobs paying $8 an hour and that's not enough money. Where I live now, the average guy starting at a factory doing hard labor gets paid about $8 and hour because we have no unions. They are going to look at this article and be impressed that he created jobs even though they were stolen from other states.

Rick Perry will be a force for Obama to reckon with. My mother asked me yesterday if I thought Rick Perry would make a good president. This is coming from a woman who has never voted for a republican in her life. This means that she is hearing a lot about Perry from people that she knows which means that he is gaining steam fast.


He didn't create crap some of us on the right find this BS just funny. The good jobs came from Cali (due to that mismanaged states terrible policies) so taking jobs from one state and adding them to another isn't job creation..job theft but hey Cali made their bed. Maybe he would be good since he's good at taking jobs from one state to another he should run on "What I did to Cali I will do to China".

tristen303
Member

Posts : 663
Join date : 2011-02-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Yes, We Need Jobs. But What Kind?

Post by truth on Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:44 am

While I am certainly not a Perry fan, it would be nice to see somebody take on the Chinese. They've played us for patsies for at least 30 years. I have long thought that their import-export policies have thrown world trade way off balance and are big part of the world's economic problems. It's past time to start moving back toward equilibrium.

We let in everything from China while they impose barrier after barrier to our products, and they turn a blind as a bat's eye toward Chinese counterfeiting of foreign brands.

For example, China is now generously going to allow all of about 20 (up from 6) US films into their huge (and I suspect eager) filmgoing market as long as Chinese companies (crony capitalist or state-run) get the lion's share of any profits. A larger chunk of movie money, however, might give California's economy a bit of a needed boost.

The "free-trade" agreements with China should be renegotiated. If tariffs are the only solution to Chinese cheating, so be it. I think anything else will meet with the usual Chinese stonewalling and continued unfair practices.

By the way, I don't excuse either party for this situation, and I also blame the corporations that have been willing to play along with the Chinese for short-term gain.

truth
Member

Posts : 122
Join date : 2011-04-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Yes, We Need Jobs. But What Kind?

Post by wausauguy on Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:23 am

Free trade benefited China far more than US. Prices of so many things may have gone down, but now we don't have enough jobs so we cannot even buy cheap goods, which even cuts into China profits.

It is too bad that professors who taught so many of the CEO's did not drill it in the soon to be managers that employees must have jobs with living wages to buy what is made or the system fails.

Really so much common sense, but seems so little common sense drives businesses and politicians who are simply focused on making quick short-term profits and making themselves look good.


wausauguy
Member

Posts : 197
Join date : 2011-04-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Yes, We Need Jobs. But What Kind?

Post by exhaustedandtired/1208 on Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:52 am

They'll be plenty of rail, roads and bridges jobs soon! So everyone can find a job in those sectors!

exhaustedandtired/1208
Member

Posts : 863
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 69

Back to top Go down

Re: Yes, We Need Jobs. But What Kind?

Post by TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA on Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:00 am

JoanB wrote:I keep thinking that he's peaking too soon, lendme, but what do I know? And then I keep thinking that there can't be enough dumbasses to elect someone like him until I remember Bush...but then he wasn't really elected, but still.

Damn, it could happen again, couldn't it?


Joan, we just spent this weekend with my in-laws who are in their eighties and are lifelong Democrats, who have crossed over in the past. Thank heavens they are seeing right through the republicans agenda. We can only hope that our older Americans don't get fooled again.

TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA
Member

Posts : 329
Join date : 2011-02-21
Location : Pennsylvania

Back to top Go down

Re: Yes, We Need Jobs. But What Kind?

Post by WilliamsonAngel on Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:17 pm

exhaustedandtired/1208 wrote:They'll be plenty of rail, roads and bridges jobs soon! So everyone can find a job in those sectors!

Unless you're physically disabled and can't be on your feet.

WilliamsonAngel
Member

Posts : 73
Join date : 2011-08-17
Age : 34
Location : Austin, TX

http://www.zandrae.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Yes, We Need Jobs. But What Kind?

Post by lendmeflight2 on Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:49 pm

wausauguy wrote:Free trade benefited China far more than US. Prices of so many things may have gone down, but now we don't have enough jobs so we cannot even buy cheap goods, which even cuts into China profits.

It is too bad that professors who taught so many of the CEO's did not drill it in the soon to be managers that employees must have jobs with living wages to buy what is made or the system fails.

Really so much common sense, but seems so little common sense drives businesses and politicians who are simply focused on making quick short-term profits and making themselves look good.



I really think that they are taught that as long as they have enough money then everyone else can fend for themselves or not. The capitalism myth tells you that you only work a low paying job because you aren't qualified for anything else. I am qualified for a lot of things but am now hoping for my low paying job to come through.


lendmeflight2
Member

Posts : 1219
Join date : 2011-02-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Yes, We Need Jobs. But What Kind?

Post by Sponsored content Today at 7:20 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum