Latest topics
» I see this board has been quiet
Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Wed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:01 pm by member

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:33 am by 

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

» things are going to get worst
Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:51 pm by 

Social Networks
December 2016
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
    123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

Calendar Calendar


Obama announces Social Security Cuts in Deficit Reduction Deal

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Obama announces Social Security Cuts in Deficit Reduction Deal

Post by Guest on Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:56 pm

First topic message reminder :

President Barack Obama is raising the stakes in the ongoing talks to raise the debt ceiling and lower the deficit — proposing $4 trillion in cuts over the next decade, including reductions to Social Security, The Washington Post is reporting.

Obama has already indicated he would support cuts to the "delivery-side" of Medicare and Medicaid as long as Republicans agree to new revenues, but including Social Security in the deal will be tough for many Democrats to stomach.
Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/white-house-seeking-social-security-cuts-in-deficit-reduction-deal-2011-7#ixzz1RNtmVpN0


Last edited by DesperateInRI on Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down


Re: Obama announces Social Security Cuts in Deficit Reduction Deal

Post by Guest on Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:05 pm

Dylan Ratigan Show, msnbc right now. Laura Tyson on the budget talks today.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Obama announces Social Security Cuts in Deficit Reduction Deal

Post by stansmad on Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:06 pm

Since when did we become buddies ? Did I say anything about a rope ? NO, I DID NOT ! OBAMA has no balls and you know it, you are looking to put blame elsewhere and it's not working pal. So , if I don't defend YOUR position I'm sitting in the shadows ? If anything is PATHETIC, it is your reasoning and your rhetoric about shooting people .

stansmad
Member

Posts : 71
Join date : 2011-02-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Obama announces Social Security Cuts in Deficit Reduction Deal

Post by gettheminNOVEMBER on Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:11 pm

stansmad wrote:Since when did we become buddies ? Did I say anything about a rope ? NO, I DID NOT ! OBAMA has no balls and you know it, you are looking to put blame elsewhere and it's not working pal. So , if I don't defend YOUR position I'm sitting in the shadows ? If anything is PATHETIC, it is your reasoning and your rhetoric about shooting people .

Not you possum mentioned Obama and rope. So I said GOP and firing squad. Then you came in.

gettheminNOVEMBER
Member

Posts : 2626
Join date : 2011-02-21
Age : 42

Back to top Go down

Re: Obama announces Social Security Cuts in Deficit Reduction Deal

Post by stansmad on Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:22 pm

Then don't address me about a rope then. What if someone mentioned on here about a firing squad and Obama and the democrats ? You would raise forty kinds of hell. You people were ready to hang Palin because of her bullseye on her campaign flyers. Obama just said people were "having a gun held to their heads". That ok ? It does not bother me because I know what he is implying. But if the right says it, there is hell to pay!

stansmad
Member

Posts : 71
Join date : 2011-02-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Obama announces Social Security Cuts in Deficit Reduction Deal

Post by gettheminNOVEMBER on Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:29 pm

stansmad wrote:Then don't address me about a rope then. What if someone mentioned on here about a firing squad and Obama and the democrats ? You would raise forty kinds of hell. You people were ready to hang Palin because of her bullseye on her campaign flyers. Obama just said people were "having a gun held to their heads". That ok ? It does not bother me because I know what he is implying. But if the right says it, there is hell to pay!

You are not getting it at all. You missed a moderated comment about Obama and a rope so I am asking you to please drop it. It was not you that made the comment.


gettheminNOVEMBER
Member

Posts : 2626
Join date : 2011-02-21
Age : 42

Back to top Go down

Re: Obama announces Social Security Cuts in Deficit Reduction Deal

Post by exhaustedandtired/1208 on Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:30 pm

Getthem, I understand your position and we have different views and frustrations. But if Obama works for you thats great! Because you feel he works in your best interest doesn't mean he is working in everybody elses! Time will show that! I have no confidence in him! I agree with your feelings about repubs. however... I would vote for Hillary!!!! I ain't necessarily a dem. But she knows where she is coming from and she doesn't have to hide behind anyone. She also would resist repubs. all the way come hell or high water. But Obama is posturing or votes! He has destroyed his own party!

exhaustedandtired/1208
Member

Posts : 863
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 69

Back to top Go down

Re: Obama announces Social Security Cuts in Deficit Reduction Deal

Post by exhaustedandtired/1208 on Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:32 pm

He jumps on board with them for middle of the road votes. He is a little smart to buck his party and side with repubs. for votes, , but it shows he has no principle!

exhaustedandtired/1208
Member

Posts : 863
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 69

Back to top Go down

Re: Obama announces Social Security Cuts in Deficit Reduction Deal

Post by exhaustedandtired/1208 on Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:34 pm

My question to Obama supporters on this forum of UNEMPLOYED 99er's is what is Obama doing for you and US!! Hello! Facts and actual statements in action! Please if you will!

exhaustedandtired/1208
Member

Posts : 863
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 69

Back to top Go down

Re: Obama announces Social Security Cuts in Deficit Reduction Deal

Post by gettheminNOVEMBER on Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:36 pm

exhaustedandtired/1208 wrote:Getthem, I understand your position and we have different views and frustrations. But if Obama works for you thats great! Because you feel he works in your best interest doesn't mean he is working in everybody elses! Time will show that! I have no confidence in him! I agree with your feelings about repubs. however... I would vote for Hillary!!!! I ain't necessarily a dem. But she knows where she is coming from and she doesn't have to hide behind anyone. She also would resist repubs. all the way come hell or high water. But Obama is posturing or votes! He has destroyed his own party!

Now I can have a conversation with you 1208. I just can't stand the blame Obama and let the GOP slide. I would be down with Hillary for pres and Bernie Sanders for VP cheers You know I have bashed Obama in the past too.

gettheminNOVEMBER
Member

Posts : 2626
Join date : 2011-02-21
Age : 42

Back to top Go down

Re: Obama announces Social Security Cuts in Deficit Reduction Deal

Post by exhaustedandtired/1208 on Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:39 pm

Whoops, I can answer some of it! he says we need to adjust a little more to being unemployed!!! Suck it up!!! Bumps in the road!!! But hello, what is his plans.. He isn't even putting anything in front of the repubs. and also with his meetings with Boehner isn't even saying anything about working with them on mutual job creation and using that as part of the debt negotiations! Hello!


I am not in an argument with you at all, I have different feeling about his agenda and maybe one of us will be right and one wrong, but time will tell. But how long do we keep this going on with no resolve over the long haul! A sustained plan of action with long lasting results. No matter what the repubs. say or do, he is measured by what he stands for and not by jumping to the things that make him look good! IMO! OK, One day we'll know ....One day!!!!!

exhaustedandtired/1208
Member

Posts : 863
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 69

Back to top Go down

Re: Obama announces Social Security Cuts in Deficit Reduction Deal

Post by exhaustedandtired/1208 on Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:40 pm

gettheminNOVEMBER wrote:
exhaustedandtired/1208 wrote:Getthem, I understand your position and we have different views and frustrations. But if Obama works for you thats great! Because you feel he works in your best interest doesn't mean he is working in everybody elses! Time will show that! I have no confidence in him! I agree with your feelings about repubs. however... I would vote for Hillary!!!! I ain't necessarily a dem. But she knows where she is coming from and she doesn't have to hide behind anyone. She also would resist repubs. all the way come hell or high water. But Obama is posturing or votes! He has destroyed his own party!

Now I can have a conversation with you 1208. I just can't stand the blame Obama and let the GOP slide. I would be down with Hillary for pres and Bernie Sanders for VP cheers You know I have bashed Obama in the past too.



You have!!!

exhaustedandtired/1208
Member

Posts : 863
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 69

Back to top Go down

Re: Obama announces Social Security Cuts in Deficit Reduction Deal

Post by Guest on Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:46 pm

We are finding out throughout the day that this has yet to be confirmed by the WH...SO Im making a decision to shut down the thread until we hear otherwise. No point in getting all worked up if this is just another rumor. If its revealed that it is indeed a fact, we will reopen the thread

Sorry for the confusion guys. It was mentioned by several media outlets but never by the President or any one from the white house as of yet. There was one statement by an aid from the WH which can be read here. It is the only one that I know of as of yet.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/07/social-security-cuts-debt_n_892070.html

As I said above, if this proves to be true we will gladly re open the thread.



Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Obama announces Social Security Cuts in Deficit Reduction Deal

Post by Guest on Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:11 am

Thread unlocked. CNN, NY Times and the Washington Post are all reporting this.

Please keep the comments towards one another civil, everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be able to post their feelings on this subject without name-calling and finger pointing.

Think before you post, and if needed, please review the forum rules and code of conduct!

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org/t2578-please-read-uff2-code-of-conduct

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Obama announces Social Security Cuts in Deficit Reduction Deal

Post by Guest on Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:42 am

Redpossum wrote:This is flat-out treason. The President has betrayed us, sold us out to our enemies,*moderated*

Possum,

Your point, counter-point posts are fine with those that agree and those that don't. It's important to have free speech and this Forum is where we can talk freely, and hopefully with respect.

However, if you ever post a racially disgusting remark again, you will be banned and for good reason. This I promise you. There is zero tolerance on this issue from this point forward.

Please keep to the 21st century and decent. Your input and insight is important.

Thank you.


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Obama announces Social Security Cuts in Deficit Reduction Deal

Post by lendmeflight2 on Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:23 am

I would like to think that the only concessions made to medicare, medicaid, and social security will be to install means testing so that people who are wealthy don't collect it and make some changes on the delivery end so that providers are paid in a different way. I don't have much faith or any reason to think that what I am saying will be the case though. Anything else will be unacceptable to me.

If Obama cuts benefits for social security, medicare, OR medicaid he is finished. He will have to hope that Americans really hate whoever he runs against.

lendmeflight2
Member

Posts : 1219
Join date : 2011-02-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Obama announces Social Security Cuts in Deficit Reduction Deal

Post by Jobless_in_Ma on Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:27 am

I'm all for the means testing as well. I can't see republicans agreeing however.

_________________
Thanks to all members for participating in the discussions.

Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

Posts : 2348
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 42
Location : Ma

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Obama announces Social Security Cuts in Deficit Reduction Deal

Post by Redpossum on Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:21 pm

X wrote:
Redpossum wrote:This is flat-out treason. The President has betrayed us, sold us out to our enemies,*moderated*

Possum,

Your point, counter-point posts are fine with those that agree and those that don't. It's important to have free speech and this Forum is where we can talk freely, and hopefully with respect.

However, if you ever post a racially disgusting remark again, you will be banned and for good reason. This I promise you. There is zero tolerance on this issue from this point forward.

Please keep to the 21st century and decent. Your input and insight is important.

Thank you.


This is a false accusation, completely false. I said nothing whatsoever about race, either directly or by implication. Absolutely nothing.

You owe me a public retraction and a public apology.

Redpossum
Member

Posts : 119
Join date : 2011-03-15
Age : 57

http://possumhole.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Obama announces Social Security Cuts in Deficit Reduction Deal

Post by Guest on Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:28 pm

Redpossum wrote:
X wrote:
Redpossum wrote:This is flat-out treason. The President has betrayed us, sold us out to our enemies,*moderated*

Possum,

Your point, counter-point posts are fine with those that agree and those that don't. It's important to have free speech and this Forum is where we can talk freely, and hopefully with respect.

However, if you ever post a racially disgusting remark again, you will be banned and for good reason. This I promise you. There is zero tolerance on this issue from this point forward.

Please keep to the 21st century and decent. Your input and insight is important.

Thank you.


This is a false accusation, completely false. I said nothing whatsoever about race, either directly or by implication. Absolutely nothing.

You owe me a public retraction and a public apology.
I moderated your post yesterday morning and will not post the content. Comments like the one that was edited yesterday will not be tolerated. I will send you a pm.

Thank you.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Obama announces Social Security Cuts in Deficit Reduction Deal

Post by TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA on Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:22 pm

Jobless_in_Ma wrote:I'm all for the means testing as well. I can't see republicans agreeing however.

I totally agree with you. But from some research on this, it appears that to administer a program like this would cost a bundle, because they would have to retest the recipients every year to see if they still qualify.

What I would like to see happen is to get rid of the limit on how much income is subject to social security payroll tax. Right now the limit is $106,000 and employers match these contributions.

TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA
Member

Posts : 329
Join date : 2011-02-21
Location : Pennsylvania

Back to top Go down

Re: Obama announces Social Security Cuts in Deficit Reduction Deal

Post by lendmeflight2 on Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:06 pm

It could cost more than the wealthy get from social security to do the means testing.

I am not sure there would be a good way to do it.

lendmeflight2
Member

Posts : 1219
Join date : 2011-02-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Obama announces Social Security Cuts in Deficit Reduction Deal

Post by exhaustedandtired/1208 on Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:06 pm

No it wouldn't.. use tax records! anyone that has a good retirement plan no SS!!!

exhaustedandtired/1208
Member

Posts : 863
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 69

Back to top Go down

Re: Obama announces Social Security Cuts in Deficit Reduction Deal

Post by Sponsored content Today at 8:31 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum