Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Initial Report from CBC / Obama Meeting May 12 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Initial Report from CBC / Obama Meeting May 12 EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Initial Report from CBC / Obama Meeting May 12 EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Initial Report from CBC / Obama Meeting May 12 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Initial Report from CBC / Obama Meeting May 12 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Initial Report from CBC / Obama Meeting May 12 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Initial Report from CBC / Obama Meeting May 12 EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Initial Report from CBC / Obama Meeting May 12 EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Initial Report from CBC / Obama Meeting May 12 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Initial Report from CBC / Obama Meeting May 12 EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Initial Report from CBC / Obama Meeting May 12 EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Initial Report from CBC / Obama Meeting May 12 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Initial Report from CBC / Obama Meeting May 12 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Initial Report from CBC / Obama Meeting May 12 EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Initial Report from CBC / Obama Meeting May 12 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Initial Report from CBC / Obama Meeting May 12

+12
Abbie
Angelicrisis
superstevies
Judi58
Rose
carl98430
fredm74
jackiemarie
Ron S
Jobless_in_Ma
exhaustedandtired/1208
mrmarti
16 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Initial Report from CBC / Obama Meeting May 12 Empty Does this diminish the hope for HR589

Post by mrmarti Thu May 12, 2011 8:47 am

http://www.crewof42.com/?p=5663

Does this mean the fight is over?
mrmarti
mrmarti

Back to top Go down

Initial Report from CBC / Obama Meeting May 12 Empty Re: Initial Report from CBC / Obama Meeting May 12

Post by Guest Thu May 12, 2011 9:12 am

No, when the reporter from the Root asked Chairman Cleaver if HR 589 was off the table, he responded "That's not going to happen".

When he stated, "in spite of the fact that we feel strongly about it. There’s $31 billion being returned to the federal government that could be used for unemployment benefits, but states have decided that they will just send that money back, and they’re not going to administer it. The 99ers issue is one that we know is not going to be funded because it will require new legislation that would never get out of the House”, he was talking about finding a way to pay for HR 589 vs. emergency spending.

The link to the Root article isn't working in that blog. You can find the whole article here.

http://www.theroot.com/views/meeting-president-again?page=0,1

Just the sub-title of the article reveals how urgent they feel the 99ers and unemployment are.
Once kept at arm's length, the Congressional Black Caucus is a more frequent guest at the White House. That change, CBC Chairman Emanuel Cleaver tells The Root, reflects the urgency of issues like unemployment.

Chairman Cleaver would not have called out for questions yesterday to bring to the meeting with the President today if it was "off the table".

If you check the questions directed to the Official CBC, with the hash tag #CBCObama, almost 100% of the questions are regarding the 99ers, HR 589 and jobs.

Last edited by DesperateInRI on Thu May 12, 2011 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Initial Report from CBC / Obama Meeting May 12 Empty Re: Initial Report from CBC / Obama Meeting May 12

Post by Guest Thu May 12, 2011 9:17 am

You can also check for updates on HR 589 using our "Links to Affiliates and Resources" widget by clicking on the American 99ers Union link.

There were several updates there yesterday, including a link to Rep. Lee's site and her statement on HR 1745 passing through the House W & M Committee.

Back to top Go down

Post by mrmarti Thu May 12, 2011 10:10 am

Thanks for clarifying and for providing the additional link - I couldn't continue the story on the crews website. I am just so nervous right now, walking on eggs constantly, but praying for a positive result. Sometimes at night I just give up and say that's it, I'm done. But each morning brings a little strength for me to get thru one more day. Just can't believe the situation that I am in at my age after working over 40 years and feeling in control of my life. Now I feel I have been reduced to someone who can't even meet the eyes of another person, ashamed in my own thinking. I pray for help, I pray for a job, I pray for my life to matter.
mrmarti
mrmarti

Back to top Go down

Post by exhaustedandtired/1208 Thu May 12, 2011 11:32 am

Hell no it isn't off the table... As I remind and I have said over and over...IMHO!!!!! They are testing the two bills that will kill extensions and if it appears that they have a remote possibility of passing then camp will release 589 from committee, why??? Because he knows if the other bills should pass then if 589 passes that is even more money for the states to use for other than unemployment extensions. It would go in the jobs pool also and not for extensions!!!

exhaustedandtired/1208

Back to top Go down

Post by exhaustedandtired/1208 Thu May 12, 2011 11:34 am

Everything hinges on the two bills that rob the extensions( sorry I don't know the bill numbers) if they get killed or veto'd then he will stall 589 as long as possible and it will be a tough battle for Lee!!!

exhaustedandtired/1208

Back to top Go down

Post by exhaustedandtired/1208 Thu May 12, 2011 11:37 am

DesperateInRI wrote:No, when the reporter from the Root asked Chairman Cleaver if HR 589 was off the table, he responded "That's not going to happen".

When he stated, "in spite of the fact that we feel strongly about it. There’s $31 billion being returned to the federal government that could be used for unemployment benefits, but states have decided that they will just send that money back, and they’re not going to administer it. The 99ers issue is one that we know is not going to be funded because it will require new legislation that would never get out of the House”, he was talking about finding a way to pay for HR 589 vs. emergency spending.

The link to the Root article isn't working in that blog. You can find the whole article here.

http://www.theroot.com/views/meeting-president-again?page=0,1

Just the sub-title of the article reveals how urgent they feel the 99ers and unemployment are.
Once kept at arm's length, the Congressional Black Caucus is a more frequent guest at the White House. That change, CBC Chairman Emanuel Cleaver tells The Root, reflects the urgency of issues like unemployment.

Chairman Cleaver would not have called out for questions yesterday to bring to the meeting with the President today if it was "off the table".

If you check the questions directed to the Official CBC, with the hash tag #CBCObama, almost 100% of the questions are regarding the 99ers, HR 589 and jobs.

I am ignorant to the total subject and short read but If states have control over how money is used , for jobs and such or continuous unemployment extensions depends on a rep. governor or dem. governor and also who controls their houses and senates. I would states with strong dem. majority may continue unemployment.. But repub. states will divert the money! Who, knows...

exhaustedandtired/1208

Back to top Go down

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Thu May 12, 2011 2:37 pm

The fight is certainly not over, its really only just begun. Everyone contact Obama and your reps showing your disapproval of HR1745
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Ron S Thu May 12, 2011 5:44 pm

With moving HR 589 forward, perhaps there is a solution which lies in a compromise from both sides of the issue. Essentially, the CBC contingent advocates the need for an expansion of unemployment insurance. Unfortunately, this view flies in the face of staunch opposition from the majority of the Republicans who now hold the majority in the house chamber. Apparently, as evidenced by this latest gambit with proposing HR 1745, the majority of Republicans do not only, not want to expand benefits, but are now clearly showing their hand by pressing for a serious contraction of the existing emergency federal entitlement program in place, which is set to expire in January of 2012. I suspect that the GOPs driving force for this opposition emanates from shear snobbery and arises out of class warfare between the have’s and the have not’s. So these positions are deeply polarized and rooted in components of genealogy, environment, level of education, and other ancillary factors.

The CBC’s strength is the huge volume of unemployed affected and that it is the humanitarian way that is morally correct with promoting further assistance. The GOP’s primary strength is certainly not in their view of this problem, but only in their being the majority party who holds the power of how and what gets done in the house chamber. So it’s an administrative strength and not a moral or ethical one based on the merits, as is the CBC’s strength.

The latest legislative push with HR 1745, although significantly wrong headed in and of itself, and likely to further hinder the economic recovery, was really not totally unexpected. Taking a closer look at the statement released from Congressman Cantor’s office back in March of this year in response to Congressman Lee’s invitation for attending a meeting to discuss HR 589, Congressman Cantor stated at that time…"Leader Cantor looks forward to the meeting and would like to broaden the conversation to focus on ways to grow the economy, spur investment and create jobs rather than simply extending unemployment benefits in some instance beyond the maximum of 99 weeks currently permitted.". Although Cantor’s disclosure back then was vague and devoid of detail, it is clear by that statement he and his colleagues had other ideas about what they really intended and wanted to do about this unemployment crisis other than what Congressman Lee was just proposing. Now with bringing out HR 1745 they are implementing their game plan.

Unless these Republicans are just truly and completely intoxicated by their new found majority power, I suspect that the GOP’s intention for this latest bill makes it a candidate for compromise. With seeking to take back what was previously given at the end of the last congressional session, with no allowance for any concessions, logically, this clearly constitutes an unreasonable extremist position. However, if this HR 1745 bill were to be amended it could perhaps allow for HR 589 to move forward in tandem with it, and if so, here is a hypothetical option that perhaps could be viable.

The intent of HR 1745 allows for an option for states to curtail the emergency federal tiers expeditiously that are currently set to expire in January of 2012; there are other provisions in the bill but this is potentially the most significant aspect of that bill’s deleterious effect to the unemployed. The majority of the GOP likely wants to get out of the unemployment insurance business altogether and is probably the underlying basis for taking such a hard core position. Nonetheless, since these federal tiers are only meant to be in place on a temporary basis during an economic emergency, then Congressman Lee should consider offering to compromise on that point. Congressman Lee should offer her cohort of support for HR 1745 contingent on whether that bill is amended with a extended time trigger set go into effect only if HR 589 is supported and passed and is allowed to run its 14 week payout of benefits to the longest term unemployed whose benefits are exhausted. Once HR 589 is fully implemented then the states option in HR 1745 for reallocating the federal money away from unemployment benefits to other uses can only then be triggered at the election of any given state.

Unless something of this nature happens, then I suspect nothing will happen and everyone looses. The GOP’s bill will not likely ever make it into law as it stands, as it is too extreme and offers nothing of any real support to millions of long term unemployed. In fact, it is so unreasonable and absurd on its face that one has to suspect it is just a ploy by the GOP to open negotiations brought about by the relentless advocacy for HR 589. By the same token, HR 589 as it stands alone will never garner enough GOP support to move out of the house chamber unless there is a give back by Congressman Lee on the GOP’s HR 1745 bill. So Congressman Lee’s bill is probably dead unless she is willing to work with the GOP and the GOP will never see the light of day on their bill unless it is toned down in conjunction with their ceasing to ignore HR 589 or a bill of similar import.

The cohort of unemployed still collecting benefits on the federal tier system who became unemployed much later after the recession hit bottom, may get short changed if there particular state decides to exercise the HR 1745 option. However, they still collect on the federal tiers until the current program is set to expire or their particular state decides to expedite the programs termination before then. If the latter occurs, they still can draw benefits potentially longer than if HR 1745 is passed in current form because with the compromise the states option cannot be triggered until HR 589 runs its 14 week payout for the cohort of benefit exhaustees. Also, the unemployed group still drawing benefits on the federal tiers get the benefit of drawing 14 weeks more from the first tier since it would be expanded by virtue of HR 589. The total effect of that benefit may be dependent on the particular state involved.

After all, with HR 589 being the driving force for all this, the most immediate primary goal here is to secure extended benefits for the longest of the long term unemployed who became jobless prior to the recession bottoming out and are in need the most of anyone. The numbers in the house chamber for support of each bill are likely split down party lines. A compromise of this sort should benefit everyone of concern’s interest with moving forward toward helping to alleviate this unemployment crisis. Once this initial hurdle is passed, further types of relief can be subsequently debated as needed, depending on how the economy progresses. I am sure there are other options than these that can be added into the equation to obtain the needed assistance that HR 589 purports to provide.

Ron S
Banned
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by exhaustedandtired/1208 Thu May 12, 2011 5:57 pm

IMO! The GOP has no interest in continuing Unemployment extensions. They're view is more obvious we are mooching off the system and using the system and they intend to break it up. That is they're total goal.. they do not realize those on single incomes need money to pay rent and bills to allow one to exist. I think Lee should negotiate a compromise that says pass the 14 weeks and if the national unemployment is 9% and it drops to 8% and stays there or even drops further within a 3 month period then the state then could cease the extensions and use the money to build on a improving job market. But only after a steady drop in unemployment over a 12 week period. Because if unemployment drops to a true 8% and continues to drop then that would be our encouragement. But more the numbers will lie and be manipulated for both parties political benefits. We have a government we absolutely cannot trust. Lastly it will be interesting to see what the president will say! I have a great fear he may jump on the bills band wagon and sign off on its passage unless a compromise is reached. Because he is hanging on to the tea party in disguise for votes and playing both sides for votes. If so I hope it comes back to bite him. The dems. are very quiet and laying low on their issues and policies and I suspect its to play the role to conservatives and also the tea party has them spooked. IMHO!!! Time will tell!!! We'll see!!!! Soon enough!!

Last edited by exhaustedandtired/1208 on Thu May 12, 2011 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

exhaustedandtired/1208

Back to top Go down

Post by jackiemarie Thu May 12, 2011 5:58 pm

Ron S, What you've written makes a lot of sense to me. If this were to happen, it would potentially be a win-win situation for all involved.

I was wondering this morning whether one of the later tiers could be scaled back or adjusted to allow for funding 14 weeks of HR 589.

I like your take on the situation.

jackiemarie

Back to top Go down

Post by fredm74 Thu May 12, 2011 6:09 pm

14 weeks tacked on doesn't seem like alot but it does help. Having Tier 1 or Tier 2 extended should be a consideration. The unemployment rate is still high and states like Nevada and California are well above 10% unemployment rate.

I've been waiting on pins and needles since the HR589 was introduced. Let's all hope and pray for a positive outcome.

fredm74

Back to top Go down

Post by jackiemarie Thu May 12, 2011 6:16 pm

Maybe HR 1745 will turn out to be a blessing in disguise for us.

jackiemarie

Back to top Go down

Post by exhaustedandtired/1208 Thu May 12, 2011 6:22 pm

Depends on what you mean!

exhaustedandtired/1208

Back to top Go down

Post by exhaustedandtired/1208 Thu May 12, 2011 6:24 pm

Another idea is IF... they are hell bent on taking away balance of extensions and sorry for those on tiers 1 to 4 and this is only IF it looks certain that all remaining extensions will be affected by passage of these bills that maybe they could pass 589 and say every one past 26 weeks including 99 er's get 14 more weeks and thats it.. Then kick in the two pirate bills!

exhaustedandtired/1208

Back to top Go down

Post by carl98430 Thu May 12, 2011 6:28 pm

I really hope they're able to move quickly. It certainly didn't take long to move HR 1745 through the pipeline. I'm just hopeful that some compromise can be reached (along the lines of what Ron S wrote above) before the next recess.

carl98430

Back to top Go down

Post by Rose Thu May 12, 2011 6:37 pm

For Republicans to bring a bill like that is downright in-humane. It shows how out of touch they are with there people. They only care about the rich.

Rose

Back to top Go down

Initial Report from CBC / Obama Meeting May 12 Empty Initial Report from CBC / Obama Meeting May 12

Post by Guest Thu May 12, 2011 7:59 pm

People who are unemployed "are begging for help and I think that the
Congressional Black Caucus and the president are both interested in
trying to come up with some means of addressing that and doing it rather
quickly," said Emanuel.

Emanuel said Obama didn't promise anything specific,
and it wasn't clear whether anything new would be forthcoming from the
White House.

A senior administration official said in an interview
later that the president has various proposals that address Black
Caucus concerns, including proposals in Obama's 2012 budget blueprint
that would send $40 million in grants and $2.5 billion in employment and
investment tax credits to economically distressed areas; and a
Department of Labor program meant to publicize job opportunities for
low-income youths. The official spoke anonymously to discuss issues
raised in the private meeting.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110512/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_obama_black_caucus

Back to top Go down

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Thu May 12, 2011 8:07 pm

Not a peep about HR 589....WTH. I expected to hear more news that just this. Sounds like he only wants to help certain segment of population and not with unemployment
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Judi58 Thu May 12, 2011 8:19 pm

I never really believed Washington would help the over 50 Unemployed hungry and almost if not homeless.. What a shame.. America the country that tells the rest of the world how they should take care of people cant take care of their own.. I never thought it would really come to this.. I hope each one of the members of the House and Senate enjoys their meal tonight and a confortable bed as more then 21% or more.. worry about food and shelter..

Thank you Mr Obama... you let us down in our time of need for over 2 1/2 years you help the rich and forget the poor. Then you ask us to believe in you for 4 more years... I dont have that much time left. I dont think I will live to see Unemployment single digits.. Remember LBJ when he wanted to fight proverty that no American man woman or child would ever go to bed hungry... Then off to Vietnam... Now we are in Iraq and Afgan.. What about us?? The American people who are turning to you and begging for help for food for shelter.. You have turned your back on the people..
For that I hope another Dem steps up to the plate next November.
Judi58
Judi58

Back to top Go down

Post by exhaustedandtired/1208 Thu May 12, 2011 8:49 pm

why was the other topic locked???

exhaustedandtired/1208

Back to top Go down

Post by exhaustedandtired/1208 Thu May 12, 2011 8:53 pm

Sorry... But I think we're screwed... Wait to see what lee or other comments are???

exhaustedandtired/1208

Back to top Go down

Post by exhaustedandtired/1208 Thu May 12, 2011 8:53 pm

Obama will sign off on the repubs. two bills. Sorry, but IMO!!!

exhaustedandtired/1208

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 12, 2011 8:56 pm

The intent of HR 1745 allows for an option for states to curtail the
emergency federal tiers expeditiously that are currently set to expire
in January of 2012; there are other provisions in the bill but this is
potentially the most significant aspect of that bill’s deleterious
effect to the unemployed. The majority of the GOP likely wants to get
out of the unemployment insurance business altogether and is probably
the underlying basis for taking such a hard core position. Nonetheless,
since these federal tiers are only meant to be in place on a temporary
basis during an economic emergency, then Congressman Lee should consider
offering to compromise on that point. Congressman Lee should offer her
cohort of support for HR 1745 contingent on whether that bill is amended
with a extended time trigger set go into effect only if HR 589 is
supported and passed and is allowed to run its 14 week payout of
benefits to the longest term unemployed whose benefits are exhausted.
Once HR 589 is fully implemented then the states option in HR 1745 for
reallocating the federal money away from unemployment benefits to other
uses can only then be triggered at the election of any given state.

Brilliant analysis, Ron. And I agree with you. The only way either bill is going to pass is if a compromise is offered and I do believe that is what will happen now. Rep. Lee along with the 80 co-sponsors should sit down with the GOP leaders to strike a deal that would be of some benefit to all the unemployed. There is no other way HR 589, or HR 1745 will move forward.

I listened to the House Ways & Means Committee hearing on 1745 yesterday, and although it was hard to sit through without wanting to throw my computer out the window, I have been thinking along the same lines you have when I regained rational thinking.

States with the highest unemployment rates would be doing themselves a great disservice if they allowed the current tier system to end. Taking the money out of the hands of the consumer will only lead to fewer jobs in those states that are already hurting economically on all fronts due to lost revenues from payroll and consumer taxes and put more of a strain on social service programs that the states cannot afford to keep up with now. Although they have the option of paying down their debt to the Federal government due to underfunding their own unemployment system, they would pay for it dearly with the influx of new claims that would result.

As far as the states option to allow incentives for businesses to hire, I would hope the Governors and state's legislatures would know that these jobs are not going to appear overnight. Again, there is a lot of room for compromise in that area.

Another point to consider that was brought up by the GOP at yesterday's hearing is that if a state did intend to use the funds from EUC08 in any other way than paying the individual directly, it would require each state's legislature to vote on it. Even though there would be a possibility that payments could be shut off on July 6 to those that are currently receiving benefits under this program, it is highly improbable. By the time compromises are reached on the Federal level and HR 1745 moves through the House and Senate (which wouldn't happen unless HR 589 was attached), it would be around that date the bill would become law. Then should states decide to divert the money in other ways, it would have to go through a similar process in their own state assemblies, most of which are wrapping up their legislative sessions within a few weeks and won't reconvene until the Fall.

Compromise on HR 589 and HR 1745 is a win-win situation for both parties and the unemployed will benefit. By the time the dust settles should states decide to keep the money, the deadline for payments under the current tier system will be looming.

To choose to keep these bill as stand alone, with no compromise by either party will not benefit anyone, neither will pass. As it stands, HR 1745 will never pass the Senate and would be dragged out by filibusters and eventually defeated, taking the attention away from other crucial issues that face our country today. HR 589 will not make it out of the House as it stands.

I do believe this is what the GOP Leaders had in mind when they met with Reps. Lee and Scott in April.

The more I think about the possibility of combining these two bills, the more sense it makes. At least we would have some chance of seeing some kind of relief in the near future. I only hope our Reps and Senators had this in mind when they introduced HR 1745.

Back to top Go down

Post by superstevies Thu May 12, 2011 8:58 pm

It is very clear everyday even before this meeting that Mr. Obama has no intensions of helping the LongTermUnemployed. The CBC has been gracious to help but I am staring to feel that the CBC & President would be just as happy to help only the African American Poor Communities. I'm done putting my efforts into HR589.

This is just like the Senate S.3706 bill....A lot of high hopes...but resulting in a big fat goose egg.

I feel like I cannot mentally handle this cat & mouse game one more time with out any payoff. Mr. Obama knows that we cannot even threaten him with voting for the opposition in 2012 because they hate us even more. So he wins, No help for us and knows the other alternative is even worse for us. So we are no longer a threat.

Maybe I just need to take the Night off from all this and clear my head and will feel different in the A.M. but this whole process is bringing me WAY DOWN.
superstevies
superstevies

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next