Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
reopening a claim EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
reopening a claim EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
reopening a claim EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
reopening a claim EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
reopening a claim EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
reopening a claim EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
reopening a claim EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
reopening a claim EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
reopening a claim EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
reopening a claim EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
reopening a claim EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
reopening a claim EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
reopening a claim EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
reopening a claim EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
reopening a claim EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

reopening a claim

2 posters

Go down

reopening a claim Empty reopening a claim

Post by marymc Thu May 05, 2011 9:16 pm

has anyone here closed a claim (not canceled) and then had to reopen? had any issues?

I am currently on UI, my first extension. (lost my job in Feb 2010)

I am being considered for a full time position, which is great, but if I get it, there is a possibility it will only last 8 weeks. I'm terrified that if I get the job and then it goes away, I won't be able to get back on UI while I look for something else. I know technically you can reopen a claim, but until I can get EDD on the phone, has anyone had any personal experience? any problems? anything that might disqualify me from reopening?

I really want this job, and hopefully it won't go away if I do get it. But if I end up losing both it and my UI, I will have to move into my car, and I really don't want to do that!

Thanks!

Mary

marymc

Back to top Go down

reopening a claim Empty Re: reopening a claim

Post by Guest Fri May 06, 2011 12:11 am

marymc wrote:has anyone here closed a claim (not canceled) and then had to reopen? had any issues?

I am currently on UI, my first extension. (lost my job in Feb 2010)

I am being considered for a full time position, which is great, but if I get it, there is a possibility it will only last 8 weeks. I'm terrified that if I get the job and then it goes away, I won't be able to get back on UI while I look for something else. I know technically you can reopen a claim, but until I can get EDD on the phone, has anyone had any personal experience? any problems? anything that might disqualify me from reopening?

I really want this job, and hopefully it won't go away if I do get it. But if I end up losing both it and my UI, I will have to move into my car, and I really don't want to do that!

Thanks!

Mary

Hi Mary and welcome. You should be able to reopen a claim once your 8 week position is over with no problem. The requirements for certifying weekly vary state to state, so you should check with EDD to get that information.

I know in my state, if you take a temporary job, when the assignment is over, you reopen your claim by filing again. There is no waiting period and you will be reinstated on benefits where you left off. It may take a few days longer to get your first check, but that is the only "problem" you should encounter.

Good luck with the position. Hopefully it can turn out to be something permanent for you!

Just an FYI, you may want to take a look at the topic regarding the Camp / Hatch Bicameral legislation that was introduced in the House and Senate today. The "Jobs Bill' will leave the federal extension money at the states' discretion and could possibly end tiers in many states. This proposed legislation would affect anyone who is on Emergency Unemployment Compensation.

Back to top Go down

Post by marymc Fri May 06, 2011 1:51 am

thanks so much for the info! I will check that topic out as well. I was a member of the old forum, so it's nice to see familiar names.

i assume you are in RI? I was born and raised there. moved to Los Angeles when I was 27. Smile

marymc

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 06, 2011 9:05 pm

ExCaliGirl wrote:I did what you did - took a job that lasted 12 weeks then "reopened my claim" . When I "reopened"my clam they instead filed a new one for me at a much lower rate of weekly unemployment that was based on the temp job that I had. They are not supposed to do that but they did anyway.

When my "new" claim ran out (after just 13 weeks) they put me back on the old claim. They then informed me that I am no longer eligible for the Fed_Ed extension as that would be based on my latest claim which did not make enough money to be eligible (even though I am now receiving money from my old claim)

Be aware that the Cali EDD does this all the time (google it) and they will jerk you out of any part of your claim that they can. FYI.

A lot of people have a problem with this and most have to fight for what they deserve to get. Although their was a "fix" enacted last year to this problem, many states (or their employees in the ue offices) are not aware.

Please see this thread for more information. If your benefit is recalculated, please take the step here to ensure you are not penalized for working:

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org/t656-part-time-penalty-bye-update

In this thread is a link to NELP, which will give you further information in case you run into problems when your temporary position ends.

Back to top Go down

Post by LaRose Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:40 pm

I was laid-off in November, 2008. I've had a series of short-term contracts, some just a couple of weeks, and one as long as 9 months. I have had no problem at all re-opening my claim. I did not formally close my original claim, since I knew I would probably be out of work once my contract ended.

LaRose

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down