Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
HR 589 Progress! Congressional Contact Information! Details to follow for action planned on Mon. & Tues. - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
HR 589 Progress! Congressional Contact Information! Details to follow for action planned on Mon. & Tues. - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
HR 589 Progress! Congressional Contact Information! Details to follow for action planned on Mon. & Tues. - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
HR 589 Progress! Congressional Contact Information! Details to follow for action planned on Mon. & Tues. - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
HR 589 Progress! Congressional Contact Information! Details to follow for action planned on Mon. & Tues. - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
HR 589 Progress! Congressional Contact Information! Details to follow for action planned on Mon. & Tues. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
HR 589 Progress! Congressional Contact Information! Details to follow for action planned on Mon. & Tues. - Page 2 EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
HR 589 Progress! Congressional Contact Information! Details to follow for action planned on Mon. & Tues. - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
HR 589 Progress! Congressional Contact Information! Details to follow for action planned on Mon. & Tues. - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
HR 589 Progress! Congressional Contact Information! Details to follow for action planned on Mon. & Tues. - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
HR 589 Progress! Congressional Contact Information! Details to follow for action planned on Mon. & Tues. - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
HR 589 Progress! Congressional Contact Information! Details to follow for action planned on Mon. & Tues. - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
HR 589 Progress! Congressional Contact Information! Details to follow for action planned on Mon. & Tues. - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
HR 589 Progress! Congressional Contact Information! Details to follow for action planned on Mon. & Tues. - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
HR 589 Progress! Congressional Contact Information! Details to follow for action planned on Mon. & Tues. - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

HR 589 Progress! Congressional Contact Information! Details to follow for action planned on Mon. & Tues.

+11
rainer123
lizalphonso
exhaustedandtired/1208
pdsnickels
js123
nfpexec
Agent Smith
Jobless_in_Ma
gettheminNOVEMBER
mistermunster
Judi58
15 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

HR 589 Progress! Congressional Contact Information! Details to follow for action planned on Mon. & Tues. - Page 2 Empty HR 589 Progress! Congressional Contact Information! Details to follow for action planned on Mon. & Tues.

Post by Guest Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:13 pm

First topic message reminder :

Republican leaders in the House of Representatives have agreed to meet with two Democrats to discuss longshot legislation for the long-term unemployed, the members' offices confirmed Tuesday.

Reps. Barbara Lee (D-Calif.) and Bobby Scott (D-Va.) introduced legislation earlier this year to provide 14 additional weeks of unemployment benefits to Americans who've been out of work for six months or longer. Lee and Scott have spoken frequently about the struggles of so-called "99ers" -- people who still haven't found work after exhausting the maximum 99 weeks of benefits available in some states.

HR 589 Progress! Congressional Contact Information! Details to follow for action planned on Mon. & Tues. - Page 2 R-boeh10

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/22/99ers-bill-meeting-long-term-unemployed_n_838970.html

HR 589 Progress! Congressional Contact Information! Details to follow for action planned on Mon. & Tues. - Page 2 895764

Last edited by DesperateInRI on Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:05 pm; edited 6 times in total

Back to top Go down

HR 589 Progress! Congressional Contact Information! Details to follow for action planned on Mon. & Tues. - Page 2 Empty Re: HR 589 Progress! Congressional Contact Information! Details to follow for action planned on Mon. & Tues.

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:45 pm

No urgency by the GOP, Im sure Lee would of said tomorrow or today if that was an option.

Very true. I'm hopeful but still skeptical as the GOPers still haven't really come to the table with anything of actual value to the people in the last 2 years.
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org

Back to top Go down

HR 589 Progress! Congressional Contact Information! Details to follow for action planned on Mon. & Tues. - Page 2 Empty Re: HR 589 Progress! Congressional Contact Information! Details to follow for action planned on Mon. & Tues.

Post by lizalphonso Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:52 pm

this is good news!

lizalphonso

Back to top Go down

Post by rainer123 Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:59 pm

I am happy to see some action, any action

rainer123

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuwanda Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:40 pm

FINALLY!!! Something that resembles good news!!! I hope they can come to an agreement on this. Do whatever it takes were dying here!
Nuwanda
Nuwanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:44 pm

js123 wrote:

T
iya,

Don't tell a 99er to chill. You are still collecting your EB. It is easy to be smug and tell someone to CHILL. What about the people like myself who haven't seen a check for months and living off the little money we have in the bank. I don't mean to put you down but I find you pick the wrong word.

I wasn't being smug! My savings have been supplementing my unemployment for almost two years, and is just about depleted. I know the anxiety. Granted, I don't know what it is like to be without, but I do know that I am scared to death.

As far as "Chill", I was talking about Jobless in Ma's anxiety. I know what it is like to have anxiety attacks, I have suffered from them for years. If you have never experienced one, you can't even imagine what it feels like. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Don't criticize my choice of words until you have walked in my shoes.
Peace

Back to top Go down

Post by troycomic Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:56 pm

They will meet in a few weeks? What? No I need an Umpa lumpa noooowwwwww!

I'm glad they they want to meet but a lot of distractions can happen. How many weeks will it take to get money in our pockets. How many people will become homeless - give up children pets - do the dreaded move in with parents - sell off their wedding rings - or COMMIT SUICIDE!

GOP, thank you for agreeing to hear us. But please speak soon.
troycomic
troycomic

Back to top Go down

Post by mistermunster Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:13 pm

troycomic wrote:They will meet in a few weeks? What? No I need an Umpa lumpa noooowwwwww!

I'm glad they they want to meet but a lot of distractions can happen. How many weeks will it take to get money in our pockets. How many people will become homeless - give up children pets - do the dreaded move in with parents - sell off their wedding rings - or COMMIT SUICIDE!

GOP, thank you for agreeing to hear us. But please speak soon.

Isn't this been the main problem. I just look back at ALL the battles for the Tier extensions and the problems it caused. It took a YEAR for them to agree to extend it for a YEAR, and all of us who were still collecting went through hell each time it came up for renewal. Those in the tier system now are LUCKY they won't have to deal with that at this point. Now it ALL about the REST of us who have fallen off. A lot can happen and I don't see any results for several months. I base this on PAST wrangling Congress has done so far. They take their SWEET time and make SURE they get THEIR time off FIRST before addressing national business. Just look at the nonsense from this time LAST year. What a JOKE it was.
mistermunster
mistermunster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:50 pm

It's all back paddling! The R's aren't going to say "oh, yes, right away"... however watch closely.

The talk about jobs + unemployment extension - CYA

In the end no one knows how to cure this downward spiraling mess. They won't admit that!

However everyone please stop throwing nails out on the newly paved road and send only thanks and what we will do with our 14 weeks! Differently from before and hard to argue with. I've posted all this before but am beat up tonight. GET POSITIVE. THANK THOSE WHO MIGHT SEEM OUR ENEMY!

We're all in this together and the sooner we work together the sooner we'll see a brighter tomorrow.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:08 pm

Hit these Reps hard too! Don't let up!

Republican Representatives from 4 of the 5 States with the Highest Unemployment Rates:
**RI is in the Top 5 - Both Reps are Democrats**

http://www.gop.gov/member/dean-heller

http://www.gop.gov/contact/members/CA

http://www.gop.gov/contact/members/FL

http://www.gop.gov/contact/members/MI

Use their District Office zipcode to email via their sites!

Last edited by DesperateInRI on Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by gettheminNOVEMBER Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:30 pm

Hopefully we will see more CoSponsors sign on as the meeting nears. Remind them of the meeting in your messages. HR 589 Progress! Congressional Contact Information! Details to follow for action planned on Mon. & Tues. - Page 2 137906
gettheminNOVEMBER
gettheminNOVEMBER

Back to top Go down

HR 589 Progress! Congressional Contact Information! Details to follow for action planned on Mon. & Tues. - Page 2 Empty Progress for 99ers Legislation - OpenCongress.org!

Post by Guest Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:41 pm

Given that concession, House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) and Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.) have agreed to meet with Lee and Scott sometime in the next few weeks to discuss possible cuts to fund the benefits.There have been some shaky indications in the past that Speaker Boehner could get behind adding more weeks of unemployment insurance if they are offset.

HR 589 Progress! Congressional Contact Information! Details to follow for action planned on Mon. & Tues. - Page 2 Lee10

http://www.opencongress.org/articles/view/2240-Progress-for-99ers-Legislation

HR 589 Progress! Congressional Contact Information! Details to follow for action planned on Mon. & Tues. - Page 2 34243

Last edited by DesperateInRI on Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by gettheminNOVEMBER Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:54 pm

I hope they meet with him after happy hour. drunken
gettheminNOVEMBER
gettheminNOVEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:03 am

While I continue to have high hopes for this, the one thing I know that will happen is that they'll drag this out as long as they can. I'm still thinking that this is a ploy ... one article I read said that the meeting would happen in the coming weeks ... I was shocked by that article ... "WEEKS"

They really need to schedule a meeting while this recess is in sessions this week. I would like to see some movement on this bill before the end of this month.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:09 am

Hopefully it will be sooner than later. OpenCongress is reporting:

There have been some shaky indications in the past that Speaker Boehner could get behind adding more weeks of unemployment insurance if they are offset.

That is a step in the right direction and some of the best news we have heard so far! From a press release from the Crew of 42, Rep. Lee is willing to look for an offset, but would still like to see it pass as emergency legislation. She said she will do whatever it takes to move it forward.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:21 am

The bill will never pass if she continues to move forward as emergency spending. I wish she would get off that kick ... she knows it won't pass as emergency spending but she continues to waste time with this line of thinking. Just find the offsets and introduce it like that ...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:24 am

Things are looking better for this bill! We still have a lot of work ahead, but I really think this is going to happen.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:28 am

kemcha wrote:The bill will never pass if she continues to move forward as emergency spending. I wish she would get off that kick ... she knows it won't pass as emergency spending but she continues to waste time with this line of thinking. Just find the offsets and introduce it like that ...

From Rep. Lee's spokesperson: . "Despite her strong belief that this should be considered emergency spending, the Congresswoman is committed to exhausting every possible option for passing this bill."

She is not continuing to push for emergency spending. That is only her belief and is open to all options.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:22 am

I have no doubt. But, she'll keep pushing for it as emergency spending and she knows it won't work. I'm just worried that Congress is simply using this as a means of satiating the public.

I just find it odd that, just as the public is starting to get the fervor for public protesting has started to die down and that Americans are becoming frustrated with Republicans that we have both sides using this as a political football.

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:24 am

kemcha wrote:I have no doubt. But, she'll keep pushing for it as emergency spending and she knows it won't work. I'm just worried that Congress is simply using this as a means of satiating the public.

I just find it odd that, just as the public is starting to get the fervor for public protesting has started to die down and that Americans are becoming frustrated with Republicans that we have both sides using this as a political football.

She knows this won't end up being emergency spending. She will have it paid for in the end. Going into the meeting with Boehner she has to have a compromise. That will be her compromise. If she goes in ahead of time with a bill paid for they will want something else. They will want their $100 billion in spending cuts for your 14 weeks. I know I will get flamed for this but the truth is the truth. 14 weeks is not enough to compromise more than having it paid for. This WILL be the end. There will be no more weeks after this. I don't about how I am not homeless now and I don't know what it's like. I do know what it's like. This small amount of relief, that won't make a bit of difference in 14 weeks time for the 99ers who will still be without a job and then without income, will not be worth trading for years of policy that will destroy our nation and practically guarantee that hiring doesn't increase.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by George Washington Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:54 am

I agree lmf.IF this bill does pass and it sounds like it would be retroactive type payment then that runs out and we are still looking for a job then what?I m not saying it would not be helpful,But I guess then we'll have to start all over again.
George Washington
George Washington

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:08 am

Couldn't agree more lendmeflight. The compromise needs to be on equal footing. If our bill is 16 million, then 16 million cuts. Period end of story. We all know there has to be some cuts, equal cuts are fair. Giving away the ranch for one bill is not good. It's dangerous ground.

On the otherhand, we need to keep our voices heard, taking action everyday until they have this meeting. Our numbers are what the Republicans need to see. They need to know that these numbers grow everytime someone reaches 99 weeks. That is just a # to them. They do not see us in a large group or as people for that matter. We need to make them. Then, when they pass this bill, they can equate it to # of votes they would lose and most importantly how large the problem is, and how MANY jobs need to be created and created quickly, via a jobs program, retraining/education program etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:58 pm

Please, keep up the call, emails and faxes. We need every member to help out. It's just too important not to. HR 589 Progress! Congressional Contact Information! Details to follow for action planned on Mon. & Tues. - Page 2 34243

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:24 pm

DesperateInRI wrote:HR 589 Emergency Unemployment Compensation Expansion Act of 2011
Sponsor: Representative Barbara Lee [D-CA]
Co-Sponsors: 75
Referred to the House Ways & Means Committee February 9, 2011

To amend title IV of the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for additional weeks of first-tier emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/issues/bills/?billtype=H.R.&billnumb=589&congress=112

Republican leaders in the House of Representatives have agreed to meet with two Democrats to discuss longshot legislation for the long-term unemployed, the members' offices confirmed Tuesday.

Reps. Barbara Lee (D-Calif.) and Bobby Scott (D-Va.) introduced legislation earlier this year to provide 14 additional weeks of unemployment benefits to Americans who've been out of work for six months or longer. Lee and Scott have spoken frequently about the struggles of so-called "99ers" -- people who still haven't found work after exhausting the maximum 99 weeks of benefits available in some states.

HR 589 Progress! Congressional Contact Information! Details to follow for action planned on Mon. & Tues. - Page 2 R-boeh10

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/22/99ers-bill-meeting-long-term-unemployed_n_838970.html

HR 589 Progress! Congressional Contact Information! Details to follow for action planned on Mon. & Tues. - Page 2 895764

CONTACT SPEAKER BOEHNER AND LEADER CANTOR TODAY!

HR 589 Progress! Congressional Contact Information! Details to follow for action planned on Mon. & Tues. - Page 2 34243

Contact Information for Speaker Boehner and Majority Leader Cantor

Speaker John Boehner:
http://www.speaker.gov/Contact/
Leader Eric Cantor:
http://www.majorityleader.gov/Contact/

Tweet:

@SpeakerBoehner
John Boehner
@GOPLeader Eric Cantor

Rep. Lee is encouraged that the Speaker has agreed to meet within the next few weeks to discuss how to provide emergency benefits for millions of long-term unemployed workers," Lee spokesman Joel Payne said. "Despite her strong belief that this should be considered emergency spending, the Congresswoman is committed to exhausting every possible option for passing this bill."

Hit these Reps hard too! Don't let up!

Republican Representatives from States with the High Unemployment Rates:
**RI is in the Top 5 - Both Reps are Democrats**

http://www.gop.gov/member/dean-heller

http://www.gop.gov/contact/members/CA

http://www.gop.gov/contact/members/FL

http://www.gop.gov/contact/members/MI

Use their District Office zipcode to email via their sites!

Watch these sites for further updates:

http://lee.house.gov/index.html

http://www.crewof42.com/

http://www.speaker.gov/

http://www.majorityleader.gov/

http://www.bobbyscott.house.gov/

Given that concession, House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) and Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.) have agreed to meet with Lee and Scott sometime in the next few weeks to discuss possible cuts to fund the benefits.There have been some shaky indications in the past that Speaker Boehner could get behind adding more weeks of unemployment insurance if they are offset.

HR 589 Progress! Congressional Contact Information! Details to follow for action planned on Mon. & Tues. - Page 2 Lee10

http://www.opencongress.org/articles/view/2240-Progress-for-99ers-Legislation

HR 589 Progress! Congressional Contact Information! Details to follow for action planned on Mon. & Tues. - Page 2 671705

Last edited by DesperateInRI on Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:15 pm

I'm worried about a particular quote from the Mlive.com website. The quote reads:

"Rep. Lee is encouraged that the Speaker and Leader Cantor have agreed to meet within the next few weeks to discuss how to provide emergency benefits for millions of long-term unemployed workers."

http://www.mlive.com/jobs/index.ssf/2011/03/republican_leaders_to_meet_with_democrat.html

I don't know why, but "next few weeks to discuss"? It's nice to know that this is moving forward but while I don't know how everyone else feels about this, but I have a personal problem when it takes forever for Congress to move forward on unemployment compensation yet they can move like lightning when it concerns repealing health care, dealing with the short term CR or defunding NPR when literally millions of Americans are suffering today.

Forgive my rant for a minute but exactly why are they still content with allowing Americans to continue to suffer while they continue to do very little work and to prolong this for as long as possible.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:01 pm

Please make your voices heard. Why should we continue to wait. Join us and many others, tell them how you feel. HR 589 Progress! Congressional Contact Information! Details to follow for action planned on Mon. & Tues. - Page 2 34243

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next