Latest topics
» I see this board has been quiet
Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Wed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:01 pm by member

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:33 am by 

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

» things are going to get worst
Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:51 pm by 

Social Networks
September 2016
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
    123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930 

Calendar Calendar


REPUBLICAN Senators introduce the national right to work act

View previous topic View next topic Go down

REPUBLICAN Senators introduce the national right to work act

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:38 pm

http://senatus.wordpress.com/2011/03/08/senators-introduce-the-national-right-to-work-act/


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: REPUBLICAN Senators introduce the national right to work act

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:44 pm

Sick & Tired wrote:http://senatus.wordpress.com/2011/03/08/senators-introduce-the-national-right-to-work-act/


DeMint introduced this and Coburn is a co-sponsor!

Is the world coming to an end?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: REPUBLICAN Senators introduce the national right to work act

Post by chopthis91 on Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:54 pm

DesperateInRI wrote:
Sick & Tired wrote:http://senatus.wordpress.com/2011/03/08/senators-introduce-the-national-right-to-work-act/


DeMint introduced this and Coburn is a co-sponsor!

Is the world coming to an end?

Anything involving Jim DeMint can't be a good thing at all. He's a Tea Baggin' fav!

BLeep

chopthis91
Member

Posts : 226
Join date : 2011-02-20
Age : 65
Location : South Florida

Back to top Go down

Re: REPUBLICAN Senators introduce the national right to work act

Post by 503Depressed on Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:02 pm

Jim DeMint, Coburn and Rand Paul! 2 Teabaggers at least on that list. I will hold onto my judgement of the act until I can read the actual full text of that bill, since I have a feeling it will not be what we think it is. Also the final version, most likely will be radically different. I don't believe that any of those Senators would do anything to really help the millions of us who would support such legislation. Especially after all the concentrated obstruction they did to unemployment extension bills. BLeep

503Depressed
Member

Posts : 164
Join date : 2011-02-22
Age : 51
Location : Portland, Oregon

Back to top Go down

Re: REPUBLICAN Senators introduce the national right to work act

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:30 pm

They are probably doing it to upset the rest of the Republicans. I have seen many new stories about the growing rift between the GOP and their Tea Party members. I don't think anything good will come of this bill either, very suspicious.
Suspect

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: REPUBLICAN Senators introduce the national right to work act

Post by Jobless_in_Ma on Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:33 pm

Certainly very interesting. I guess we shall see.

_________________
Thanks to all members for participating in the discussions.

Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

Posts : 2348
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 42
Location : Ma

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org

Back to top Go down

Re: REPUBLICAN Senators introduce the national right to work act

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:37 pm

I would want to read every line of this and then between the lines as well. I just don't understand with all of the contacts each Rep and Sen has that they are not out banging on doors and making calls to those they granted the tax breaks to get on the ball and start creating programs and training sessions to start reducing unemployment.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: REPUBLICAN Senators introduce the national right to work act

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:47 pm

Has anyone found the exact wording for the national right to work act?

I have looked at their press release.

http://demint.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?p=PressReleases&ContentRecord_id=6c97e4c4-a31f-4636-8fe2-6ffdf625b2d5&ContentType_id=a2165b4b-3970-4d37-97e5-4832fcc68398&Group_id=9ee606ce-9200-47af-90a5-024143e9974c

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: REPUBLICAN Senators introduce the national right to work act

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:57 pm

It will probably take a day or two to see the official text. It has to go through the legislative process of having a bill number attached, sent to committee, etc. Keep looking for it on Congress.org or OpenCongress.org.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: REPUBLICAN Senators introduce the national right to work act

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:58 pm

ALEC wants this legislation to pass. This group helps legislatures create "model legislation".

Take a look at the list of officers:
http://www.nrtwc.org/about-2/officers/

111th Congress
"The National Right to Work Committee® supports the enactment of a National Right to Work Act. The passage of a National Right to Work law would eliminate compulsory unionism in every state in the United States. Employees would be free to choose whether or not to join a labor union. The National Right to Work Act would not add a single word to federal law. It would simply repeal five provisions in the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA) and one in the Railway Labor Act (RLA) that authorize the firing of workers for refusal to pay union dues or “fees” to union officials.

Under the National Right to Work Act, workers would be free to choose union representation voluntarily. No worker would be forced to accept unwanted union “representation,” and no worker would be prevented from joining a labor union"

http://www.nrtwc.org/facts-issues/national-right-to-work-act/

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: REPUBLICAN Senators introduce the national right to work act

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:01 pm

JaneWI wrote:ALEC wants this legislation to pass. This group helps legislatures create "model legislation".

Take a look at the list of officers:
http://www.nrtwc.org/about-2/officers/

111th Congress
"The National Right to Work Committee® supports the enactment of a National Right to Work Act. The passage of a National Right to Work law would eliminate compulsory unionism in every state in the United States. Employees would be free to choose whether or not to join a labor union. The National Right to Work Act would not add a single word to federal law. It would simply repeal five provisions in the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA) and one in the Railway Labor Act (RLA) that authorize the firing of workers for refusal to pay union dues or “fees” to union officials.

Under the National Right to Work Act, workers would be free to choose union representation voluntarily. No worker would be forced to accept unwanted union “representation,” and no worker would be prevented from joining a labor union"

http://www.nrtwc.org/facts-issues/national-right-to-work-act/

Will have to watch the new bill to see if there are any changes. That bill died when 111th Congress adjourned in December.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: REPUBLICAN Senators introduce the national right to work act

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:07 pm

Here's the Model Legislation page from ALEC. Some of it may look familiar.

"One of the most important resources ALEC provides to its members is model legislation. Through the combined effort and unique partnership of public and private sector members, model legislation is drafted, deliberated and approved by one of ALEC's eight Task Forces. These bills provide a valuable framework for developing effective policy ideas aimed at protecting and expanding our free society.

While ALEC provides the resources, our members, long known for their legislative activism, introduced hundreds of bills based on ALEC model legislation. During the latest legislative cycle, dozens of ALEC model bills were enacted into law."

http://www.alec.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Model_Legislation1

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: REPUBLICAN Senators introduce the national right to work act

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:13 pm

DesperateInRI wrote:Will have to watch the new bill to see if there are any changes. That bill died when 111th Congress adjourned in December.

Thank you for pointing out it was the last congress. What I think is interesting ALEC's take on the legislation. None of their model legislation is available to nonmembers. Take a look at the list of items they have model legislation for and see for yourself if any of it sounds familiar to you.

Here's the ALEC page that has their labor law model legislation:
http://www.alec.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Commerce_Insurance_and_Economic_Development

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: REPUBLICAN Senators introduce the national right to work act

Post by CLO on Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:16 pm

ALEC? I looked at the list of board of directors, and private enterprise members(board) literally a list of who's who in Corporate America, and guess who? Mr. Mike Miller of Koch Industries, imagine that?
Started out with the likes of Henry Hyde? OMG! Watch this closely, this is the beginning of the end for working class Americans who ever had any hope of bettering their standards of living.....

CLO
Member

Posts : 80
Join date : 2011-02-22
Location : Ioway

Back to top Go down

Re: REPUBLICAN Senators introduce the national right to work act

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:22 pm

CLO wrote: ALEC? I looked at the list of board of directors, and private enterprise members(board) literally a list of who's who in Corporate America, and guess who? Mr. Mike Miller of Koch Industries, imagine that?
Started out with the likes of Henry Hyde? OMG! Watch this closely, this is the beginning of the end for working class Americans who ever had any hope of bettering their standards of living.....

Take a look at their model legislation. It's amazing how many new laws being passed are represented as model legislation at the ALEC site.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: REPUBLICAN Senators introduce the national right to work act

Post by CLO on Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:24 pm

I did, and it is frightening to see, for example, how they describe the recent activity with EPA updating- this is nothing more than a "Union", or association for right-wing politicians and up and coming right-wingers- IMO

CLO
Member

Posts : 80
Join date : 2011-02-22
Location : Ioway

Back to top Go down

Re: REPUBLICAN Senators introduce the national right to work act

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:30 pm

NPR did a report on them.


Shaping State Laws With Little Scrutiny
"Here's how it works: ALEC is a membership organization. State legislators pay $50 a year to belong. Private corporations can join, too. The tobacco company Reynolds American Inc., Exxon Mobil Corp. and drug-maker Pfizer Inc. are among the members. They pay tens of thousands of dollars a year. Tax records show that corporations collectively pay as much as $6 million a year.

With that money, the 28 people in the ALEC offices throw three annual conferences. The companies get to sit around a table and write "model bills" with the state legislators, who then take them home to their states."

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130891396

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: REPUBLICAN Senators introduce the national right to work act

Post by CLO on Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:34 pm

Just a FEW of the "policies" espoused by ALEC -

Resolutions
Opposing Any Increase in the Starting Wage

Resolution on Occupational Licensing


Opposing Comparable Worth Legislation

Resolution opposing increases in minimum wage linked to the CPI


Opposing Employer-Paid Health Care Mandates

Urging Congress to Pass Legislation Requiring Expedited Waiver Procedures to States


Opposing Ergonomic Regulations Based on Unsound Science

Resolution Opposing Federal Mandates on Unemployment Insurance


Opposing Federal Regulation to Extend Unemployment Insurance Benefits to New Parents

Resolution on Criminal-Background Checks


Opposing OSHA’s Proposed Ergonomics Plan


And there is so much more... I don't see this "organization" as being beneficial to the average American... Corporate America, for sure!

CLO
Member

Posts : 80
Join date : 2011-02-22
Location : Ioway

Back to top Go down

Re: REPUBLICAN Senators introduce the national right to work act

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:00 pm

CLO wrote: Just a FEW of the "policies" espoused by ALEC -

Resolutions
Opposing Any Increase in the Starting Wage

Resolution on Occupational Licensing


Opposing Comparable Worth Legislation

Resolution opposing increases in minimum wage linked to the CPI


Opposing Employer-Paid Health Care Mandates

Urging Congress to Pass Legislation Requiring Expedited Waiver Procedures to States


Opposing Ergonomic Regulations Based on Unsound Science

Resolution Opposing Federal Mandates on Unemployment Insurance


Opposing Federal Regulation to Extend Unemployment Insurance Benefits to New Parents

Resolution on Criminal-Background Checks


Opposing OSHA’s Proposed Ergonomics Plan


And there is so much more... I don't see this "organization" as being beneficial to the average American... Corporate America, for sure!

I'm thinking of starting a discussion thread on them. They seem to be quite powerful in the political world and most people have never heard of them.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: REPUBLICAN Senators introduce the national right to work act

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:40 pm

I would like to learn more about it Jane. I am sure others would too.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: REPUBLICAN Senators introduce the national right to work act

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:46 pm

Sick & Tired wrote:I would like to learn more about it Jane. I am sure others would too.

Just started the thread:
http://unemployed-friends.forumotion.com/t761-model-legislation#7485

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: REPUBLICAN Senators introduce the national right to work act

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:08 pm

I'm re-opening this topic until I figure out why it was locked.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: REPUBLICAN Senators introduce the national right to work act

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:11 pm

kemcha wrote:I'm re-opening this topic until I figure out why it was locked.

I think I probably confused the issue because I was talking about ALEC in this thread. I wanted to separate out ALEC from this discussion because while the two are related they are not the same topic. I hope that makes sense.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: REPUBLICAN Senators introduce the national right to work act

Post by lendmeflight2 on Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:31 pm

The topic was closed because it was moved to the model legislation thread.

I was confused as well because the discussion of the union/ middle class killing right to work bill should probably be here.

lendmeflight2
Member

Posts : 1219
Join date : 2011-02-21

Back to top Go down

Re: REPUBLICAN Senators introduce the national right to work act

Post by Sponsored content Today at 9:06 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum