Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
US Labor Department awards nearly $65.5 million to fund re-employment, eligibility assessments for UE in 40 states, PR and DC EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
US Labor Department awards nearly $65.5 million to fund re-employment, eligibility assessments for UE in 40 states, PR and DC EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
US Labor Department awards nearly $65.5 million to fund re-employment, eligibility assessments for UE in 40 states, PR and DC EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
US Labor Department awards nearly $65.5 million to fund re-employment, eligibility assessments for UE in 40 states, PR and DC EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
US Labor Department awards nearly $65.5 million to fund re-employment, eligibility assessments for UE in 40 states, PR and DC EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
US Labor Department awards nearly $65.5 million to fund re-employment, eligibility assessments for UE in 40 states, PR and DC EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
US Labor Department awards nearly $65.5 million to fund re-employment, eligibility assessments for UE in 40 states, PR and DC EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
US Labor Department awards nearly $65.5 million to fund re-employment, eligibility assessments for UE in 40 states, PR and DC EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
US Labor Department awards nearly $65.5 million to fund re-employment, eligibility assessments for UE in 40 states, PR and DC EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
US Labor Department awards nearly $65.5 million to fund re-employment, eligibility assessments for UE in 40 states, PR and DC EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
US Labor Department awards nearly $65.5 million to fund re-employment, eligibility assessments for UE in 40 states, PR and DC EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
US Labor Department awards nearly $65.5 million to fund re-employment, eligibility assessments for UE in 40 states, PR and DC EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
US Labor Department awards nearly $65.5 million to fund re-employment, eligibility assessments for UE in 40 states, PR and DC EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
US Labor Department awards nearly $65.5 million to fund re-employment, eligibility assessments for UE in 40 states, PR and DC EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
US Labor Department awards nearly $65.5 million to fund re-employment, eligibility assessments for UE in 40 states, PR and DC EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

US Labor Department awards nearly $65.5 million to fund re-employment, eligibility assessments for UE in 40 states, PR and DC

+2
Marian
carlch
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

US Labor Department awards nearly $65.5 million to fund re-employment, eligibility assessments for UE in 40 states, PR and DC Empty US Labor Department awards nearly $65.5 million to fund re-employment, eligibility assessments for UE in 40 states, PR and DC

Post by Guest Wed May 09, 2012 7:36 am

"Today's grant announcement will allow states to provide personalized assessments for recipients of Unemployment Insurance to help them get back on their feet faster," said Labor Secretary Hilda L. Solis.

The funds will be used to conduct in-person assessments in One-Stop Career Centers. The assessments include the development of a re-employment plan for claimants, the provision of labor market information that is appropriate to the claimants' locations and employment prospects, a complete review of claimants' eligibility for Unemployment Insurance benefits, and a referral to re-employment services and/or training provided by the One-Stop Career Centers separate that is from the UI program.
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/us-labor-department-awards-nearly-655-million-to-fund-re-employment-eligibility-assessments-for-unemployment-insurance-in-40-states-puerto-rico-and-dc-2012-05-07

Back to top Go down

US Labor Department awards nearly $65.5 million to fund re-employment, eligibility assessments for UE in 40 states, PR and DC Empty Re: US Labor Department awards nearly $65.5 million to fund re-employment, eligibility assessments for UE in 40 states, PR and DC

Post by carlch Wed May 09, 2012 9:18 pm

My opinon only but "personalized assessments" and "in person assessments" are a total waste of this money when there are no jobs. One stop Career Center is a joke here in California. Put the money where it counts and place unemployed applicants who pass state exams into state and local government jobs! Our government is so screwed up and it will only get worse with no real leadership in Washington.

carlch

Back to top Go down

US Labor Department awards nearly $65.5 million to fund re-employment, eligibility assessments for UE in 40 states, PR and DC Empty Re: US Labor Department awards nearly $65.5 million to fund re-employment, eligibility assessments for UE in 40 states, PR and DC

Post by Marian Wed May 09, 2012 9:32 pm

Very true, Carich! These One Stop Careers don't offer ANYthing... What a waste!
Marian
Marian

Back to top Go down

Post by wausauguy Wed May 09, 2012 11:57 pm

Yes, you are so correct. The unemployed are not the issue, it is the lack of jobs.

I finally landed a job, but not because of the economy improving. It was a matter of just having the perfect experience and references to match me to the job at a non-profit organization.

I have repeatedly stated that all the experts talking about assessments, education being the answer and not looking at what the real issue is, and that is simply not enough jobs.

J

wausauguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:18 pm

I did contact a One Stop. The skills they made available in NJ and PA I already possess. I am lucky, some of the people really needed to attend these seminars and One Stops, some really needed these basic skill workshops. I did not qualify. There were none here that were more advanced and as I have the skills being taught, I did not qualify. For those still in need, please reach out to your Service Centers and DOL's.

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecitizen Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:43 pm

From what I have witnessed, the ones that qualify for these programs will be kind of taught basic reading, kind of taught acceptable grammar, and somewhat maybe introduced to a computer. Employers still won't consider them qualified for a job. Pffft. They need to stop creating these exclusionary programs and start creating jobs.

invisiblecitizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:40 pm

In RI, these programs include certifications from accredited colleges and universities, as well as training for a new career, i.e. CNA, Medical Billing, Dental Assistants, Bookkeeper and other career oriented opportunities.

Seriously, if we don't take advantage of what is offered, we have no one to blame but ourselves. Do yourself a favor and research what is available in your state. I don't think we will ever see the pre-recession jobs and wages. I have 9 years before I can retire and don't plan on sitting home, depending on my family in total social isolation until then. Technology is constantly changing. Even a refresher course in accounting programs, Microsoft Office can make a huge difference in your chances of finding a job. At least it will show any potential employer that you are trying to stay up to date and not letting your skills get rustty.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:26 am

Desp, thank you. This is what you and I mentioned in another thread. There are LOADS of valid training and presently $$$ for the unemployed to take them for free.

I looked up your RI Labor office.

Friends, if after you look at this list and opportunity to advance yourself and then come back and say hogwash, I think I'll move to another solar system Very Happy

http://www.dlt.ri.gov/wio/programs.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by carlch Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:56 am

Oops . . . I had better clarify my comment regarding training for the unemployed. The RI training programs mirror what we have here in CA, at our local community and technical colleges. Thus, for workers that still have 10-20 working years ahead of them, I agree, these programs are beneficial.

carlch

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecitizen Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:16 am

I live in Maryland but worked in the District for years, so I made my UI claims out of the District office. When they offered training, people that had work experience didn't quality. The training was for telephone etiquette, fax machine use and other very basic training. Many times, the participants were walking around looking for the instructor. I inquired many times about training that was available for career switches into any area that was hiring, but nothing was available unless you were willing to pay for the training with no guarantees for a chance at a job. Then I later realize that employers simply weren't interested in hiring older workers, nor would they hire anyone with no actual work experience regardless of the applicant's training, nor were they hiring anyone that did not presently have a job. I posted my resume on many sites and updated weekly only to find out that the information on these resumes were being sold and vendors did not want a "stale" resume because the information might not be up-to-date.

The help that was offered to the unemployed was another way to extract more money. I would love to retrain to anything that had a chance of results, but if a job is available, employers want you to wear many hats and have years of experience in all of them. During my job search, I ran across two ex-supervisors that saw my resume and pulled it. They went to bat for me because they knew I was a good and dependable worker, but my age ruled me out of consideration (59 and 60 at the time).

I'm not looking for false hope, but I would appreciate being told the truth so that I can get myself informed in order to make an informed decision. I agree, perhaps training for someone that has 10-20 working years ahead of them might be beneficial - might - but they are not allowed to inform older workers that this training would be without merit for them because that would be age discrimination.

Finally, I did pay for Microsoft Office update training. Even took the Excel course although I had already been extensively trained by a former employer -- creating formulas and the whole nine yards. I have lots of Certificates, but knowledge and experience still did not make me a 23-year old. Thing is, most 23-year-olds are on-the-job training anyway. That is how I learned and received training: the employer trained, and I took whatever additional courses I needed to make myself "good" at what I did. Now, employers want you already trained, young, and currently employed with specific accompanying work experience... the unabashed perfect employee.

invisiblecitizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:25 am

I think retraining is great however it doesn't solve the problem of lack of jobs and blatant age discrimination.
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org

Back to top Go down

Post by carlch Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:32 pm

jobless and invisible - I agree with you both about lack of jobs and "age discrimination" which is rampant. I'm proficient in MS office suite, (Word, Excel, powerpoint, outlook), tools required for administrative roles of which I excelled. I supported two busy executives and managed their calendars, travel and multiple projects with deadlines and I never missed a beat. None of this experience is helping me now. At soon to be 65, I guess I was lucky to have worked until I was 61 and then some in 2011.

As for the training Desperate mentions, this may benefit some of those with remaining years in the workforce. Hospitals are in need of phembologists, lab and xray techs, back office. In the past, I applied to "several" local doctor's office and no luck there (because I don't have the past medical industry experience . . . . ).

When I was first laid off in 2008, I considered registering for a medical assistant program through a local program thinking my skills were transferable. Their website posted a picture of the graduating class, all of which were in their early 20's -30's. I certainly was old enough to be their grandmother. Enough said.

Log in to about.com and read some of the stories from older workers that are the longer term unemployed. Makes you think twice about the country we live in while politicians do nothing but play grab ass.

carlch

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecitizen Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:48 pm

Thanks for the laugh. I have applied for many medical jobs that were advertised as no experience required, then told that I didn't have the proper experience. I don't know why years and years of office experience isn't considered transferable. Thanks for the tip regarding about.com. Haven't been there for a while and that should be some interesting reading. Can you imagine all the wealth that has been lost by older workers? And then to be penalized so heavily for having to take early SS while our unemployment benefits are being cut more and more. This has happened by careful design.

invisiblecitizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:36 am

All above are so true, typical of what is advertised as "re-training" can be deceptive. If you have the certs and skills, you are considered not qualified for the re-training. It is for those who have no certs or skills at all, which is fine, but as stated, does nothing for those of us with 30 years or more of experience. Also as stated, the skills and experience won't make jobs magically appear. That's where the help and legislation is needed, but silence seems to be the order of the day. "If we don't discuss it, it's not really a problem", that should be the new Congressional motto.

We just have to keep writing and calling and hoping and praying. It doesn't always appear to be helping, but doing nothing just can't be an option. Many of us cannot survive for much longer.

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecitizen Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:19 pm

It gets more frightening by the day as food edges upward and housing becomes more competitive. I have signed on to many petitions at this site, and it does spur some in Congress to move a little bit, then the dust settles and their short memories fail them as they continue their pursuit of the dollars. So I started to wonder. I don't remember ever getting an email from Unemployed Friends asking me to sign a petition by clicking a box. But I have signed email petitions from other grass roots orgs and they seem to have a level of success. Here, I always signed the petitions when I visited, and many times I missed opportunities because I didn't visit before the deadline. Is it possible that Unemployed could set up something like that? Maybe it has been done and I just don't remember.

On the other hand, at the House Reps, the last time I checked, only residents of their districts were allowed to contact them. So we could divide into those respective groups in an attempt to grab their individual attention. Since this is election year with only 4.5 months to go, we might maybe begin to see better responses. Like everyone else, they want to know "what's in it for them?"

I just feel like we have already been written off, and we need to find a way to raise the stakes.

invisiblecitizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:43 pm

Yes it is possible to mass mail a note to all members. I was an admin on another forumotion site. Good suggestion!

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecitizen Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:00 pm

I will be happy, glad, and eager to help. I'm not good at these things, but I will certainly learn as I work. Tell me what you want me to do. I'm willing to try anything to get Congress' attention and/or fear. I keep reading about all the wealth the middle class has lost and how it was trickled up to the 1%, while there still are no plans for the unemployed except training. We need some plans for creating jobs and we have got to find a way for force them to do that.

I am glad you have experience. If we can get louder, maybe they can hear us then.

invisiblecitizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:39 pm

To be honest I can't do anything as a member. But I'd be glad to assist as an administrator if asked.

Do I have everyone's vote? Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecitizen Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:58 pm

You have my vote! Lurkers, come on and join. Maybe we can act a little more and react a little less. I think you, MaryKay and Desperate would be an awesome team and inspirational leaders.

invisiblecitizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Hunterforjobs Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:01 am

What about those who aren't collecting anymore?
Hunterforjobs
Hunterforjobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:45 am

I don't want to overstep the advice this forum might provide. I ask for the admins to answer this good question.

Thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecitizen Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:42 am

I think as long as unemployment is this high, we should all continue to receive unemployment benefits until the rate falls to 3.5 or 4%. That alone would spur Congress to at least try different approaches to lower the rate. If banks receive bailouts because they are considered so important to the economy, then the workers should be considered just as important. Rather than trying to find ways to help the unemployed cope, Congress is spending their energy writing legislation to cut or remove lifelines. When we worked, we paid taxes, and its not right to kick us to the curb in times of woe - especially when we did not contribute to this economic nightmare. We have what, 534? members of Congress that are willing to completely ignore the unemployed except when it comes to cutting benefits. Our only choice is to find a way to make them do better. If we are able to win one battle, we can then work to win another and another. If we can begin to win battles, more effort will be poured into finding a solution. I don't want unemployment benefits - I would rather work - but if there are no jobs, I don't think our paid reps should be depositing their pay and permitting this atrocity continue. Until we find a way to make them have some "skin" in this mess, its easier and safer for them to let this deteriorating situation resolve itself.

In the JPMorgan hearings yesterday, Congress talked tough in front of the cameras, and then went to the hearing and threw a few spitballs at Dimon. Why haven't they held any hearings on how to put this country back to work. Why aren't they holding any hearings on how to help the unemployed through this? The majority of us would welcome a work exchange program for benefits. We would welcome even more a program that would match our skills with an exchange job because we don't want to sit and rot. That would be real assistance to the unemployed, and a source for tax revenue. Lots of ideas are out here to put this country back to work, yet everything falls on deaf ears. They aren't even trying to find a temporary solution. Yet when the banks ask for assistance, they get it. Why can't some of that assistance be required to be put back into the economy? They could find a solution if they looked for one.

invisiblecitizen

Back to top Go down

Post by carlch Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:34 pm

invisible - in my opinion, Washington and much of state and local government is dysfunctional. We will continue to be victims of austerity measures (like Japan) with stagnant growth probably until the end of the decade. Paul Krugman (with whom I can agree on "some" issues) mentions this frequently. In a recent interview, Krugman stated many of us will never hold sustainable jobs again and I believe this holds for the less skilled and older workers. Sadly, most folks (the majority-- those who are working or have not been affected by the downturn)are clueless and have little interest in the adversity of the unemployed. Unfortunately, the Occupy Movement in my area did little to focus positive attention our way. Big banks, corporations are the culprits --- but they are running this country and will continue to do so! We may have a voice, but we are definitely not being heard. Cutting those last weeks of FedEd was a nail in the coffin for many.

I suspect this recession will deepen after the elections.

carlch

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecitizen Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:53 pm

Do strongly agree carlch. And austerity measures are not working in Europe and they won't work here. But austerity measures will continue to be imposed over and over again. As for the recession deepening after the elections, it will probably get much worse much faster. It is already picking up steam and there doesn't seem to be much that can be done about it even with elections looming. Wall Street is having more and more bad days - seems to be getting pretty expensive to keep proping them up so that they can cheer about what a great day they had. When Wall Street begins to hurt a little, we are really going into a dive. My neighbor said Congress is considering cutting SS benefits to present and future recipients. Sounds like a really bad idea. So far, I have not been able to verify that little nugget of horror. I did see on the news that 6,000 jobs were lost last week. Congress' way of keeping the unemployment rate down is to keep cutting the benefit weeks so that those that have been cut off can be counted as employed. So much deceit.

Folks that are still holding onto a job are worried, but not really concerned about the shortage of jobs just yet and the impossible situation being forced onto the unemployed. But if Congress has their way and starts cutting federal employees, and drastically cutting funds to the states, it will have a devastating domino affect. The lame duck Congress will begin cutting in earnest right after the elections.

Thanks for the information regarding PBS and other news sources yesterday. The more I thought about not having PBS anymore, I decided to find out why. Its not fixed yet, but something is definitely wrong.

invisiblecitizen

Back to top Go down

Post by carlch Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:48 pm

invisibile - I'm unable to find any valid information on reducing SS benefits of those currently receiving. I know this has been discussed in the past, but if this does happen, you can bet there will be a revolution from the old "hippie" boomers that are still around.

carlch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next