Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Troy Davis EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Troy Davis EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Troy Davis EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Troy Davis EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Troy Davis EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Troy Davis EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Troy Davis EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Troy Davis EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Troy Davis EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Troy Davis EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Troy Davis EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Troy Davis EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Troy Davis EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Troy Davis EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Troy Davis EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Troy Davis

+4
tristen303
mistermunster
lendmeflight2
JoanB
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Troy Davis Empty Troy Davis

Post by JoanB Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:09 pm

The final hour. I can't believe they couldn't stop this insanity. I don't know what else to say.
JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Troy Davis Empty Re: Troy Davis

Post by Guest Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:33 pm

Agree. It's terrible.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:58 pm

I am going to cry! I can't believe it is going to happen in minutes. I have been on Twitter all day, advocating for his clemency. The corrections department shut down their email this afternoon because of the overwhelming amount of pleas, phone numbers for the department were jammed, and bus companies in the area donated services for protestors to get to the prison.

Tweeps from other countries were expressing their disappointment in this country. This is a very sad day for America - but I guess by now it shouldn't surprise me.

God Bless Troy Davis. Sad Praying

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:04 pm

Nah, this is Georgia. The will execute him there just in case he did it.

If I were a member of the dead cop's family I would want them to find the person who truly did it.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by JoanB Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:15 pm

Over on Daily Kos, they are saying that there is a stay...oh please don't let this be a cruel joke.
JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Post by mistermunster Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:20 pm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2011/sep/14/troy-davis-death-penalty-lynching

this was from last week. This country is SO quick to pull the trigger.
mistermunster
mistermunster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:20 pm

JoanB wrote:Over on Daily Kos, they are saying that there is a stay...oh please don't let this be a cruel joke.

34343234 Watching MSNBC - no word yet on the execution and it was supposed to have happened 20 minutes ago. Please, let this mean there was a stay.

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:22 pm

I just read that they struck down the last minute appeal. The judge refused to allow the stay.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:22 pm

State delaying, temporary reprieve, waiting for the Supreme Court - MSNBC update by Pete Williams.

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:23 pm

Actually that was written 3 hours ago. nevermind. Sorry for the misinformation.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by JoanB Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:25 pm

We need five of them...the chances aren't good for one of those meatsticks to grow a conscience tonight.
JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:28 pm

Just saw this tweet - boy, is it the truth! Evil or Very Mad

Today Has Taught Me One Thing. I Will Never be as Ruthless & Heartless as Pro-Life, Right-Wing Christians. #TroyDavis #p2 #topprog
1 minute ago

Back to top Go down

Post by JoanB Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:57 pm

Ain't that the truth, DIR!

It's in one man's hands now: Justice Kennedy. I can't imagine any of the other four seeing reason or having a heart on this. A grim reminder of why it still matters who's president, no matter how disappointed we may be.
JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:18 pm

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/09/21/lawyers-file-appeal-to-stay-troy-davis-execution/

Georgia inmate Troy Davis is scheduled to be executed Wednesday for the 1989 murder of Mark MacPhail, an off-duty Savannah police officer. Supporters have sought to prevent the execution, saying seven of the nine witnesses against him have recanted or contradicted their testimony.

The execution was scheduled for 7 p.m. ET, but the state of Georgia has delayed it because the Supreme Court hasn't yet ruled on a request from Davis' lawyers to issue a stay.

Follow the latest developments here:

[Updated at 8:10 p.m.] The time that the U.S. Supreme Court is taking to rule on Davis' motion for a stay of execution is unusual, CNN senior legal analyst Jeffrey Toobin said. "Usually, it’s handled pretty promptly," Toobin said.

Davis' lawyers filed the motion at about 6 p.m., an hour before Davis' scheduled execution. The state attorney general's office filed a response shortly afterward.

The two hours that the court has had the motion is "not a long time, but it's long enough for (the nine justices) to respond and say, 'Go ahead,'" Toobin said. "So it does suggest that they’re taking this seriously, and there may be some disagreement.”

[Updated at 7:43 p.m.] After a brief moment of jubilation upon hearing that the execution hasn't yet happened, Davis' supporters – who have gathered outside the grounds of the prison where he is being held – are regrouping and talking about what might be next, CNN's Emma Lacey-Bordeaux reports. "Troy Davis can never die" is a common theme.

The state of Georgia isn't proceeding with the execution until the U.S. Supreme Court rules on Davis' request for a stay. Davis' attorneys filed the request about an hour before Davis' scheduled 7 p.m. execution.

Davis' supporters, who had been chanting, are now letting out cheers as drivers pass and honk their horns. Otherwise, the mood is tense as they wait for a development, Lacey-Bordeaux reports.

[Updated at 7:26 p.m.] The state of Georgia hasn't yet proceeded with the execution of Troy Davis, because it is waiting for the U.S. Supreme Court to rule on his request for a stay, CNN's Bill Mears reports.

Davis had been scheduled to be executed at 7 p.m. ET. His attorneys filed a motion asking the Supreme Court for a stay about an hour before the scheduled execution time.

[Updated at 7:06 p.m.] Inside the grounds of the prison where Davis is scheduled to be executed, about 100 people, including Davis' sister, have formed a tight circle and are praying and singing, CNN's Gustavo Valdes reports.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:23 pm

At this point, guilty or innocent, what they are doing to that man is inhumane!

If the state of Georgia does go through with this travesty of justice, there will be riots.

Back to top Go down

Post by JoanB Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:42 pm

I can't imagine...just watching from a distance is gut-wrenching.

Here's the fine company we keep:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Death_Penalty_World_Map.svg

Nice, hunh?
JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:34 pm

The Supreme Court just denied the stay. Unbelievable that we have people with so much power who have no conscience. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by tristen303 Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:06 am

tristen303

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:09 am

There is a world of difference between the two cases.

However, the family of the dragging victim asked the state not to execute his murderer.

The police officer's family seems to be pretty blood thirsty and want to see someone, anyone, die for their loss. I can tell you that it will not bring the person back or make them feel any better.

We are a bloodthirsty, vengeful, people. We must mature.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:14 am

Big difference in this case, tristen! This was a heinous hate crime, by a self-proclaimed White supremacist gang member. There were no reasonable doubts in this case.

I am not saying it is right, I don't believe in the death penalty, it is geared towards the poor who can't afford their own attorneys.

By the way, the state of Georgia just murdered an innocent man at 11:08 p.m. Sad day for this already broken country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sad American Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:14 am

He was executed at 11:08 p.m.
Sad American
Sad American

Back to top Go down

Post by tristen303 Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:25 am

I don't agree with the death penalty and until all sentences are protested picking and choosing won't help or stop them from happening. As for him being innocent that is highly debatable.
Life in prison is far more a punishment then a death sentence (and in the case of the innocent allows for mistakes to be corrected). I do not believe a civilized society kills its own in any circumstances.

tristen303

Back to top Go down

Post by truth Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:41 am

It seems clear to me that it is indeed possible for innocent people to be executed. The possibility that even one innocent person can be killed trumps whatever justifications can be given for the death penalty imho. I cannot understand why the death penalty has such wide support.

truth

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:45 am

Rhode Island executed an innocent man in the late 1940's. The death penalty was abolished here shortly after. The innocent person who was hung was recently pardoned by the governor.

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:00 am

People like the death penalty because they like to see people receive punishment. We are very vengeful as a society. I really think it stems from feeling powerless on almost any level. People feel controlled and powerless at work, controlled and powerless in government, controlled and powerless in the world, and when someone, not you, gets sentenced to death they like to see it carried out. Someone got what they deserve. It doesn't matter if they were innocent or could have been innocent. This is the same reason that we can't have decent health care in this country. People feel powerless and victimized and can't stand the thought that someone might get it for free.

No one ever thinks that they might be wrongly accused of something someday. It never crosses their minds.

It's said really.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum