Latest topics
» I see this board has been quiet
Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Wed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:01 pm by member

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:33 am by 

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

» things are going to get worst
Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:51 pm by 

Social Networks
December 2016
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
    123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

Calendar Calendar


Why you can't find a job?

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Why you can't find a job?

Post by dreamslides on Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:31 pm

First topic message reminder :

I just really want to hear why you think you cannot find a job? What caused it and do you believe it will continue? I'm going to list a few examples for why I feel finding a job is very near impossible at this point in time.

1. Human Resources - They want to look busy so they create fake job listings they never have any intention of filling, and if they do they draw the process out so long they waste your time and mine because in doing so they are seen as doing more work than they actually do. In my opinion they do nothing but hire, fire, or cause trouble and if they filled jobs based only on qualifications they'd be filled in 1-2 days not weeks! Then their hours would be cut since they aren't working.

2. Social circles - Friends employee friends therefore anyone not as good at making friends and fitting in will have a harder time getting employed, especially at a place that is retail because there you WANT friends to kill time with and make your life less dull. So for me it's hard since I basically have no friends and am outcast, I keep to myself mostly.

3. Baby Boomers - I blame them considerably because they sent the jobs overseas while I was growing up only caring about themselves and planning for retirement, but oops wait what's that you say THEY cannot find jobs now and cut into those very retirement savings to stay afloat? Oops....... So in the end they didn't help themselves either, only a small percentage are rich and not loosing money. I understand not all baby boomers are to blame but they grew up and could've prevented this by looking further down the road and seeing it - I was not working when they were alive. THINK AHEAD.... the ironic thing is they wanna take the social security away and medicare cuz the government overspent so they're just as screwed as me now.

4. The People - I blame alot of this on people too, you know the ones who took low wage jobs instead of ignoring or demanding more money. If every person working negotiated for a fair wage or didn't take the job then we'd all have fair WAGES and be much better off, but nooo you have them taking minimum wage jobs 2 or 3 and that means companies can do whatever they want not just to you but everyone that they employ.

5. Government - I blame them yes, they are bad people that TAX us like hell and spend it on frivolous nonsense that doesn't help US. Exactly why would I want my tax dollars spent to pay for a military base in another country or some war that doesn't benefit me? How much oil did the wars they fought BURN UP? More than they got in exchange? I don't recall giving them my permission to tax the death out of us to spend the money abroad do you?

Anyways I can go on but am also interested in your ideas. I blame Human Resources first though because they keep posting fake ads for jobs, the you go and it's either entirely a different position or they never call you back. You know why they don't call you back???? Because they're just trying to look BUSY and get hours like everyone else.

dreamslides
Member

Posts : 22
Join date : 2011-07-25
Age : 35
Location : Bolingbrook, IL

Back to top Go down


Re: Why you can't find a job?

Post by TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:02 pm

My husband just got a call from a recruiter for a 3-month contract job (temp to permanent) at a major bank that he has sent hundreds of applications to in the past. Was interviewing him about his experience from his resume. At the end of the conversation, she asked him his birth date. She said that they will get back to him in about a week, as they have other candidates, but thought he was a good fit. If this is not weeding out the older workers, then I got a bridge to sell you! Of course, my husband is not holding his breath.

TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA
Member

Posts : 329
Join date : 2011-02-21
Location : Pennsylvania

Back to top Go down

Re: Why you can't find a job?

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:05 pm

TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA wrote:My husband just got a call from a recruiter for a 3-month contract job (temp to permanent) at a major bank that he has sent hundreds of applications to in the past. Was interviewing him about his experience from his resume. At the end of the conversation, she asked him his birth date. She said that they will get back to him in about a week, as they have other candidates, but thought he was a good fit. If this is not weeding out the older workers, then I got a bridge to sell you! Of course, my husband is not holding his breath.
What was the excuse for needing his date of birth before he is hired? DISCRIMINATION! Evil or Very Mad

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Why you can't find a job?

Post by TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:17 pm

DesperateInRI wrote:
TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA wrote:My husband just got a call from a recruiter for a 3-month contract job (temp to permanent) at a major bank that he has sent hundreds of applications to in the past. Was interviewing him about his experience from his resume. At the end of the conversation, she asked him his birth date. She said that they will get back to him in about a week, as they have other candidates, but thought he was a good fit. If this is not weeding out the older workers, then I got a bridge to sell you! Of course, my husband is not holding his breath.
What was the excuse for needing his date of birth before he is hired? DISCRIMINATION! Evil or Very Mad

What really makes my blood boil is that we cannot sue these companies for this. I cannot blame the recruiter, because she is taking orders from her client companies. A class action lawsuit by older workers is what we need, but is not going to happen.

TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA
Member

Posts : 329
Join date : 2011-02-21
Location : Pennsylvania

Back to top Go down

Re: Why you can't find a job?

Post by laine25 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:20 pm

Oh, I had an interview recently and the manager asked me "How long do you expect to work?" Now would he ask this question to a person who was younger? I thought the question was way out of line.

laine25
Member

Posts : 247
Join date : 2011-02-21
Age : 51

Back to top Go down

Re: Why you can't find a job?

Post by TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:58 pm

laine25 wrote:Oh, I had an interview recently and the manager asked me "How long do you expect to work?" Now would he ask this question to a person who was younger? I thought the question was way out of line.

Sure was. So was another question my husband was asked in the past. They asked if he would have a problem taking orders from a young boss. What they were really asking him is if he was OK with doing his job and the jobs of other younger workers for a crappy salary and keep his mouth shut. We may be older people, but we are far from STUPID!

TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA
Member

Posts : 329
Join date : 2011-02-21
Location : Pennsylvania

Back to top Go down

Re: Why you can't find a job?

Post by laine25 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:09 pm

There is blatant age discrimination in this country. We don't value our older workers and it's so unfair.

laine25
Member

Posts : 247
Join date : 2011-02-21
Age : 51

Back to top Go down

Re: Why you can't find a job?

Post by nfpexec on Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:14 pm

Several weeks ago I had an interview for a job that didnt pay benefits & was a considerable pay cut. I was called in for a second interview, the first in 3 years, and two weeks later rec'd a call saying I was not chosen but I was on the VERY VERY short list.

Today I do my daily torture of looking thru job postings and what do I see? The very same position that I was interviewed for TWICE and yet wasn't qualified enough to be hired. What the **** do these employers want? I am so tired of their holding all the cards and acting like the Emperor saying maybe you, oooh not you. What does one have to do to be the CHOSEN one in this anemic job market??? I am frustrated beyond words. I feel like I'm having an out of body experience in a bad nightmare that won't end!

nfpexec
Member

Posts : 194
Join date : 2011-03-22
Location : new york

Back to top Go down

Re: Why you can't find a job?

Post by TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA on Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:43 pm

nfpexec wrote:Several weeks ago I had an interview for a job that didnt pay benefits & was a considerable pay cut. I was called in for a second interview, the first in 3 years, and two weeks later rec'd a call saying I was not chosen but I was on the VERY VERY short list.

Today I do my daily torture of looking thru job postings and what do I see? The very same position that I was interviewed for TWICE and yet wasn't qualified enough to be hired. What the **** do these employers want? I am so tired of their holding all the cards and acting like the Emperor saying maybe you, oooh not you. What does one have to do to be the CHOSEN one in this anemic job market??? I am frustrated beyond words. I feel like I'm having an out of body experience in a bad nightmare that won't end!

Totally agree. I help my husband in his job search and have come across the same frustrating CHIT every day!

TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA
Member

Posts : 329
Join date : 2011-02-21
Location : Pennsylvania

Back to top Go down

Re: Why you can't find a job?

Post by nfpexec on Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:36 pm

I hear ya Too Old (btw no ur not). The only thing that helps me hold a sliver of my mental health is this site so I know that the numbers on the news means nothing.

Behind those numbers are millions multiplied by millions (children, spouses, extended family) who are real people having an unbelievably BAD time trying to cope with this mess. I would be completely isolated without this site because most people, no matter how well meaning SOME are, they dont know what it's like until they live it.

Someone said to me, "at least you keep trying." What choice do I have???

nfpexec
Member

Posts : 194
Join date : 2011-03-22
Location : new york

Back to top Go down

Re: Why you can't find a job?

Post by americatheneedy on Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:33 pm

It's the rich from all generations, the wealthy from all generations that has done this, this is about hard cash not hard work now. It shouldn't be that way but it is and the young rich brats are on their way to take over where daddy and grandaddy left off.

americatheneedy
Member

Posts : 311
Join date : 2011-02-21
Location : North Carolina

Back to top Go down

Re: Why you can't find a job?

Post by TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA on Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:14 pm

nfpexec wrote:I hear ya Too Old (btw no ur not). The only thing that helps me hold a sliver of my mental health is this site so I know that the numbers on the news means nothing.

Behind those numbers are millions multiplied by millions (children, spouses, extended family) who are real people having an unbelievably BAD time trying to cope with this mess. I would be completely isolated without this site because most people, no matter how well meaning SOME are, they dont know what it's like until they live it.

Someone said to me, "at least you keep trying." What choice do I have???

TY for the kind words. Mary Kay said the same thing! I refuse to think of us as Too Old. To employers we sure are! I agree that coming here make life bearable when family and friends just go about their daily lives like nothing is wrong. Hang in there!

TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA
Member

Posts : 329
Join date : 2011-02-21
Location : Pennsylvania

Back to top Go down

Re: Why you can't find a job?

Post by nfpexec on Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:23 pm

Last week I applied for a part-time temporary customer service job. I had to complete a questionnaire/essay before they would consider interviewing me. I filled out the questionnaire and have yet to hear from them so I assume I wasn't qualified for that job either. I did fundraising for years, once had a temp job in registar's office of local college, did market research for publishers on the phone and still not qualified for a part-time temporary position.

Does anyone want to make me believe it isnt because I'm over 50! Mad

nfpexec
Member

Posts : 194
Join date : 2011-03-22
Location : new york

Back to top Go down

Re: Why you can't find a job?

Post by TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA on Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:32 pm

nfpexec wrote:Last week I applied for a part-time temporary customer service job. I had to complete a questionnaire/essay before they would consider interviewing me. I filled out the questionnaire and have yet to hear from them so I assume I wasn't qualified for that job either. I did fundraising for years, once had a temp job in registar's office of local college, did market research for publishers on the phone and still not qualified for a part-time temporary position.

Does anyone want to make me believe it isnt because I'm over 50! Mad

You won't get any argument on my end that's for sure. Discrimination is rampant!

TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA
Member

Posts : 329
Join date : 2011-02-21
Location : Pennsylvania

Back to top Go down

Re: Why you can't find a job?

Post by tristen303 on Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:48 pm

Because we all have either age, been out of work for too long, lack of skills because were coming from a different industry or back to the first two points. It's a circle that isn't helping us and makes me believe that we re becoming the causalities of this economy and nobody wants to admit it they just hope we go away....at least until election time.

tristen303
Member

Posts : 663
Join date : 2011-02-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Why you can't find a job?

Post by laine25 on Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:04 am

tristen303 wrote:Because we all have either age, been out of work for too long, lack of skills because were coming from a different industry or back to the first two points. It's a circle that isn't helping us and makes me believe that we re becoming the causalities of this economy and nobody wants to admit it they just hope we go away....at least until election time.

It's a Vicious Circle which never seems to end. It seems like our politicians are using the buzzwords "jobs, jobs, jobs" but will they really do anything to help stimulate the economy? This problem has gone on far too long.

laine25
Member

Posts : 247
Join date : 2011-02-21
Age : 51

Back to top Go down

Re: Why you can't find a job?

Post by TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA on Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:40 pm

Tweet by Bank of America just a few minutes ago. Sounds like long term unemployed need not apply. Anyone besides me think this is discriminatory and also in one of the states with very high unemployment? Comments appreciated!

Hot #Job: FT Banking Center Mgr #PismoBeach,CA. 3-5yrs recent management exp. Check out http://go.bofa.com/sprh for job1100043502

TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA
Member

Posts : 329
Join date : 2011-02-21
Location : Pennsylvania

Back to top Go down

Re: Why you can't find a job?

Post by TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA on Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:58 pm

This site tweeted 99ers to get their comments about some questionable ads like the one I posted above. Check it out.


http://reemployamerica.com/17227/

TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA
Member

Posts : 329
Join date : 2011-02-21
Location : Pennsylvania

Back to top Go down

Re: Why you can't find a job?

Post by tristen303 on Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:08 pm

How in the **** "long term need not apply" is even considered OK as a filter is beyond wrong, IMO it should be "Long-term" or "Run out of benefits get preferential placement" Fine you can't afford my benefits I get that, but come on can you at least ensure my run of bad luck isn't getting a helping hand with that nonsense?

tristen303
Member

Posts : 663
Join date : 2011-02-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Why you can't find a job?

Post by TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA on Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:24 pm

tristen303 wrote:How in the **** "long term need not apply" is even considered OK as a filter is beyond wrong, IMO it should be "Long-term" or "Run out of benefits get preferential placement" Fine you can't afford my benefits I get that, but come on can you at least ensure my run of bad luck isn't getting a helping hand with that nonsense?

I called them out on these job ads. Recent experience IMO means long-term unemployed are not considered. Hope others feel the same way and go after these Corporate jerks!

TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA
Member

Posts : 329
Join date : 2011-02-21
Location : Pennsylvania

Back to top Go down

Re: Why you can't find a job?

Post by TR11005 on Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:43 pm

Recent Definition: Belonging to, or occurring at a time immediately before the present.

By this definition of recent found on Wikipedia is definitely discriminating against the long term unemployed.


TR11005
Member

Posts : 541
Join date : 2011-02-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Why you can't find a job?

Post by Guest on Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:20 pm

At one time, years ago I remember that when someone applied for a position, and that person had been laid-off, the company received points for hiring them, especially if they came through the DES office. What happened to that program?? I'm sure it was in place at one time, I remember being asked if I had been laid-off, etc.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Why you can't find a job?

Post by suelvnv1 on Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:32 pm

I am working on commission for an out-of-state insurance company because my credit is not good enough to get a job in my state in insurance.Why I can't find job in my state in my original profession or another:
1. No recent experience in my original accounting profession. Last job held in accounting 2007.
2. Being a 99 weeker in 2010.
3. Bad credit now, not in 2007!
4. Age, going on 61. (How can Congress say we should work till 70???)
5. Insurance company hourly positions require very good credit.

I don't even try anymore because of prior comments about phoney jobs, or jobs that will only be given to the younger people who already are employed.

suelvnv1
Member

Posts : 2
Join date : 2011-08-02
Location : Nevada

Back to top Go down

Re: Why you can't find a job?

Post by nfpexec on Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:58 am

I watched Nightline and they were talking about companies dying to hire. The problem is they were all tech/start-up companies and I didnt see anyone over 40 in any of those offices, so even if I knew how to write software, I'd probably be in the same place i'm in right now and that's nowhere!

I also watched another program warning about job scammers. There's always someone out there waiting to capitalize on someone else's misery. So i know desperate people do desperate things but be really careful what kind of ads you answer and the information you give them.

nfpexec
Member

Posts : 194
Join date : 2011-03-22
Location : new york

Back to top Go down

Re: Why you can't find a job?

Post by lendmeflight2 on Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:33 am

I agree with not giving out too much information. I have had the same mobile number for several years now and had no problems. Now, all of a sudden, I am getting spam text messages now. I opted out and they seem to have stopped for the time being but I know this is because I posted my number somewhere trying to get a job.

lendmeflight2
Member

Posts : 1219
Join date : 2011-02-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Why you can't find a job?

Post by laine25 on Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:25 am

Good advice. I took my address and phone number off my resume. Set up a separate email account to get resume replies. I was getting a lot of Nigerian scam replies when I posted to Monster and Career Builder with a resume listing my home address and phone number. Lots of people preying on the unemployed these days. You can't be too careful.

laine25
Member

Posts : 247
Join date : 2011-02-21
Age : 51

Back to top Go down

Re: Why you can't find a job?

Post by Sponsored content Today at 7:18 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum