Latest topics
» I see this board has been quiet
Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Wed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:01 pm by member

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:33 am by 

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

» things are going to get worst
Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:51 pm by 

Social Networks
September 2016
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
    123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930 

Calendar Calendar


Why Americans are angry at Congress

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Why Americans are angry at Congress

Post by Guest on Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:12 pm

Anew Washington Post-ABC News poll finds that 80 percent of Americans are dissatisfied with the way the federal government is working. Such a finding leads to an inevitable conclusion: The other 20 percent aren’t paying attention.

  • “This is Ducking, Dodging and Destroying,” revised Rep. John Lewis (D-Ga.).

    “Better called the Slash, Burn and Pander Act,” recommended Pete Stark (D-Calif.).

    “Cut, Slash and Burn,” suggested Gerry Connolly (D-Va.).

    Nancy Pelosi, the Democratic leader, corrected them all. “Cut, Cap and End Medicare,” she said.

    “Cut, Cap and Default Act,” insisted Mazie Hirono (D-Hawaii).

    “It’s really Cash Cow for Billionaires,” proposed Ed Markey (D-Mass.).

    Republicans fought to reclaim the name. “I prefer Cut, Cap and Balance over Punt, Pass and Kick,” said Trey Gowdy (S.C.).

    “Kick, Pass and Punt,” said Scott Tipton (Colo.).

    Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Tex.) had an announcement. “I have a new name for the bill: The Bill Which Tap Dances Around the Question of Revenue and Lifting the Debt Ceiling Which Was Done Sixty-Plus Times Over America’s Lifetime With Reagan, Carter, President Bush and President Bush and Clinton.”


Quite a mouthful, Congresswoman, don’t you think?

  • Jackson Lee tried again. “It’s the Tap Dance Losers’ Club and Bust the Benefits Bill,” she proposed.


Um, okay.

  • Phil Gingrey (R-Ga.) mulled this suggestion then countered: “What the president has in mind I would refer to as the Whistling Past the Graveyard plan.”


It was enough to give Michele Bachmann a migraine.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/why-americans-are-angry-at-congress/2011/07/20/gIQAYUlSQI_story.html

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Why Americans are angry at Congress

Post by Guest on Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:19 pm

Amazing, this they have time for. Why not, nothing IMPORTANT to work on this week. lol

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Why Americans are angry at Congress

Post by rprp on Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:33 pm

As I read this Obama is really the one going against the democratic ideals he is supposed to represent and his party (and I) are pretty ticked off with him. He is not exactly listening to what his party or the American people want. Wow, he has been a major disappointment to me and a turncoat. And I voted for him. I really put this one on him. We need a strong leader at this point in time and he does not fit the bill.

Republicans have behaved like bullies and are reprehensible in my book as well. They are for sure to be blamed as they would like to do away with anything that will help the working or middle classes.

rprp
Member

Posts : 58
Join date : 2011-07-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Americans are angry at Congress

Post by couth11 on Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:46 pm

DesperateInRI wrote:
Anew Washington Post-ABC News poll finds that 80 percent of Americans are dissatisfied with the way the federal government is working. Such a finding leads to an inevitable conclusion: The other 20 percent aren’t paying attention.

  • “This is Ducking, Dodging and Destroying,” revised Rep. John Lewis (D-Ga.).

    “Better called the Slash, Burn and Pander Act,” recommended Pete Stark (D-Calif.).

    “Cut, Slash and Burn,” suggested Gerry Connolly (D-Va.).

    Nancy Pelosi, the Democratic leader, corrected them all. “Cut, Cap and End Medicare,” she said.

    “Cut, Cap and Default Act,” insisted Mazie Hirono (D-Hawaii).

    “It’s really Cash Cow for Billionaires,” proposed Ed Markey (D-Mass.).

    Republicans fought to reclaim the name. “I prefer Cut, Cap and Balance over Punt, Pass and Kick,” said Trey Gowdy (S.C.).

    “Kick, Pass and Punt,” said Scott Tipton (Colo.).

    Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Tex.) had an announcement. “I have a new name for the bill: The Bill Which Tap Dances Around the Question of Revenue and Lifting the Debt Ceiling Which Was Done Sixty-Plus Times Over America’s Lifetime With Reagan, Carter, President Bush and President Bush and Clinton.”


Quite a mouthful, Congresswoman, don’t you think?

  • Jackson Lee tried again. “It’s the Tap Dance Losers’ Club and Bust the Benefits Bill,” she proposed.


Um, okay.

  • Phil Gingrey (R-Ga.) mulled this suggestion then countered: “What the president has in mind I would refer to as the Whistling Past the Graveyard plan.”


It was enough to give Michele Bachmann a migraine.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/why-americans-are-angry-at-congress/2011/07/20/gIQAYUlSQI_story.html

How much did this cost the taxpayers?

couth11
Member

Posts : 259
Join date : 2011-05-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Americans are angry at Congress

Post by lendmeflight2 on Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:58 pm

rprp wrote:As I read this Obama is really the one going against the democratic ideals he is supposed to represent and his party (and I) are pretty ticked off with him. He is not exactly listening to what his party or the American people want. Wow, he has been a major disappointment to me and a turncoat. And I voted for him. I really put this one on him. We need a strong leader at this point in time and he does not fit the bill.

Republicans have behaved like bullies and are reprehensible in my book as well. They are for sure to be blamed as they would like to do away with anything that will help the working or middle classes.

I totally agree. It's like trying to tell someone how great of a guy your brother is when always ends up in jail. However, after seeing him speak tonight I really do think he was trying to compromise as much as he can and, from his tone, he sounds like he is done with this pandering.

If he acted the way he did tonight all the time I would have no problems with him. I have no choice but to vote for him because I won't vote republican but I am not excited about the idea

lendmeflight2
Member

Posts : 1219
Join date : 2011-02-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Americans are angry at Congress

Post by JoanB on Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:55 pm

Yes, lendme, he sounded a lot more like the guy I voted for. But how this is all gonna end, I dunno...I'm not sure that anyone really knows, and it's pretty scary. When you've got that bunch of cartoon characters in the House who I truly believe can't be reasoned with, I just dunno.

JoanB
Member

Posts : 485
Join date : 2011-03-01
Location : Pittsburgh, PA

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Americans are angry at Congress

Post by Guest on Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:12 pm

The President was angry tonight, that was obvious from his tone and just the look on his face. That is the man I voted for, the one who will stand up for the average American and not let them be responsible for bailing out this country again. Time to let the "corporate jet owners" take some responsibility and sacrifice a little, just as they are asking us to do.

Mr. President, please remember the words of FDR regarding his "New Deal" in 1936:


"They are unanimous in their hate for me--and I welcome their hatred."



Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Why Americans are angry at Congress

Post by gettheminNOVEMBER on Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:50 pm

DesperateInRI wrote:The President was angry tonight, that was obvious from his tone and just the look on his face. That is the man I voted for, the one who will stand up for the average American and not let them be responsible for bailing out this country again. Time to let the "corporate jet owners" take some responsibility and sacrifice a little, just as they are asking us to do.

Mr. President, please remember the words of FDR regarding his "New Deal" in 1936:


"They are unanimous in their hate for me--and I welcome their hatred."



He needs to stay strong and end the bush tax giveaways. Shame on the right for holding a gun to Americans heads just to protect the rich while taking from the old, sick and poor. POS HUMAN BEINGS!

gettheminNOVEMBER
Member

Posts : 2626
Join date : 2011-02-21
Age : 41

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Americans are angry at Congress

Post by Guest on Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:58 pm

gettheminNOVEMBER wrote:
DesperateInRI wrote:The President was angry tonight, that was obvious from his tone and just the look on his face. That is the man I voted for, the one who will stand up for the average American and not let them be responsible for bailing out this country again. Time to let the "corporate jet owners" take some responsibility and sacrifice a little, just as they are asking us to do.

Mr. President, please remember the words of FDR regarding his "New Deal" in 1936:


"They are unanimous in their hate for me--and I welcome their hatred."



He needs to stay strong and end the bush tax giveaways. Shame on the right for holding a gun to Americans heads just to protect the rich while taking from the old, sick and poor. POS HUMAN BEINGS!
Did you see Boehner's follow up news conference at 7:15? He looked a little "pale" - no sign of a tan, and really NOTHING to say!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Why Americans are angry at Congress

Post by gettheminNOVEMBER on Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:03 am

DesperateInRI wrote:
gettheminNOVEMBER wrote:
DesperateInRI wrote:The President was angry tonight, that was obvious from his tone and just the look on his face. That is the man I voted for, the one who will stand up for the average American and not let them be responsible for bailing out this country again. Time to let the "corporate jet owners" take some responsibility and sacrifice a little, just as they are asking us to do.

Mr. President, please remember the words of FDR regarding his "New Deal" in 1936:


"They are unanimous in their hate for me--and I welcome their hatred."



He needs to stay strong and end the bush tax giveaways. Shame on the right for holding a gun to Americans heads just to protect the rich while taking from the old, sick and poor. POS HUMAN BEINGS!
Did you see Boehner's follow up news conference at 7:15? He looked a little "pale" - no sign of a tan, and really NOTHING to say!

I have been watching it all unfold. Did you see they canned Cenk on Msnbc. DC did not like his tone. We was on the Olbermann show.

gettheminNOVEMBER
Member

Posts : 2626
Join date : 2011-02-21
Age : 41

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Americans are angry at Congress

Post by Guest on Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:09 am

My mom was under the impression that obama is the one who wants the cuts to SS and Medicare. It took me an hour to get through to her about it. She said she has been watching cnn and sometimes fox, I educated her about that as well LOL. I said mom you were badly misinformed which is a HUGE problem in this country right now. Once she saw the president speaking on tv tonight she realized what I said to her was true, dont believe it until you hear it come from WH press or Obama himself.

He needs to do a lot more of what he did tonight. Just keep telling it like it is.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Why Americans are angry at Congress

Post by gettheminNOVEMBER on Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:16 am

Sick & Tired wrote:My mom was under the impression that obama is the one who wants the cuts to SS and Medicare. It took me an hour to get through to her about it. She said she has been watching cnn and sometimes fox, I educated her about that as well LOL. I said mom you were badly misinformed which is a HUGE problem in this country right now. Once she saw the president speaking on tv tonight she realized what I said to her was true, dont believe it until you hear it come from WH press or Obama himself.

He needs to do a lot more of what he did tonight. Just keep telling it like it is.

That is classic spin. Just like blaming Obama for the Bush debt.

gettheminNOVEMBER
Member

Posts : 2626
Join date : 2011-02-21
Age : 41

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Americans are angry at Congress

Post by couth11 on Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:24 am

We're angry because we don't like being robbed of our belongings in an eviction or being driven to suicide. We don't like being interviewed by people that probably should be incarcerated or learning that we have been bypassed for a position, only to learn the winning candidate is less than that.

I hope Obama's angry enough to do something. I doubt either Obama or Boehner is going to want to anything together that requires golf clubs or flying balls.


Last edited by couth11 on Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:44 am; edited 2 times in total

couth11
Member

Posts : 259
Join date : 2011-05-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Americans are angry at Congress

Post by lendmeflight2 on Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:37 am

Sick & Tired wrote:My mom was under the impression that obama is the one who wants the cuts to SS and Medicare. It took me an hour to get through to her about it. She said she has been watching cnn and sometimes fox, I educated her about that as well LOL. I said mom you were badly misinformed which is a HUGE problem in this country right now. Once she saw the president speaking on tv tonight she realized what I said to her was true, dont believe it until you hear it come from WH press or Obama himself.

He needs to do a lot more of what he did tonight. Just keep telling it like it is.
Yeah my political conversations with family members end up with them saying:
"I don't really like anybody but I usually vote republican". Then I say "Yeah I realize you love your guns and your Jesus but I can't vote for somebody who wants to kill the working class, and cut social security and medicare". Then they say "Well, it's Obama that wants to do that ain't it?" and the cycle never ends.

For some reason my Mom and Dad are both Democrats but everyone else in my family vote GOP if they vote, usually they don't though.

I actually was talking to Dad the other day and he said that he wished Obama was as much of a socialist as they say he is. This is a huge thing for a guy who grew up in the 40's and 50's to say.


I think there will end up being a clean bill if Obama sticks to his guns.

lendmeflight2
Member

Posts : 1219
Join date : 2011-02-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Americans are angry at Congress

Post by TR11005 on Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:59 am

I sure pray that we don't get the "Raw Deal" that Obama strictly opposes. If he don't then his presidency is over.

What might be on our side is the Wall Street Bankers will loose big time if USA defaults. Will be known as CSA. China States of America. This time everybody that is poor will be a slave. The South finally getting there way, but whites there are now included. Be careful what you wish for.

TR11005
Member

Posts : 541
Join date : 2011-02-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Americans are angry at Congress

Post by lendmeflight2 on Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:15 am

Hey now, watch what you got to say. There is a lot more to the south than slavery.

lendmeflight2
Member

Posts : 1219
Join date : 2011-02-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Americans are angry at Congress

Post by Hunterforjobs on Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:06 am

Anyone know Obama's current approval rating?

Hunterforjobs
Member

Posts : 502
Join date : 2011-02-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Americans are angry at Congress

Post by CLO on Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:59 pm

The way I see it- Obama and the Dems are wrong for playing the game the repugs and TP'ers have started. Why ask to have any cuts considered right now? Raise the debt ceiling, and then get back to the business of budgeting. JUST LET THE DAMN BUSH TAX CUTS EXPIRE! Get rid of offshore tax evasion, and that is just a start! The Repugs are creating a crisis, and the Dems are just falling into the trap. Keep writing and e-mailing to your Reps., Sens., and the POTUS. Time to double down.

CLO
Member

Posts : 80
Join date : 2011-02-22
Location : Ioway

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Americans are angry at Congress

Post by Guest on Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:28 pm

CLO wrote: The way I see it- Obama and the Dems are wrong for playing the game the repugs and TP'ers have started. Why ask to have any cuts considered right now? Raise the debt ceiling, and then get back to the business of budgeting. JUST LET THE DAMN BUSH TAX CUTS EXPIRE! Get rid of offshore tax evasion, and that is just a start! The Repugs are creating a crisis, and the Dems are just falling into the trap. Keep writing and e-mailing to your Reps., Sens., and the POTUS. Time to double down.

x2 and Amen. Keep up the pressure.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Why Americans are angry at Congress

Post by Guest on Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:29 pm

While you are at it send a tweet to Paul Krugman. He is the only economist currently thinking the way to get past all this is to extend benefits, support the 99ers and create enough real jobs to really start moving the economy. Never mind the cuts or the hikes, get the jobs going.

Tweet him: @NYTimesKrugman

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Why Americans are angry at Congress

Post by Guest on Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:53 pm

MaryKay wrote:While you are at it send a tweet to Paul Krugman. He is the only economist currently thinking the way to get past all this is to extend benefits, support the 99ers and create enough real jobs to really start moving the economy. Never mind the cuts or the hikes, get the jobs going.

Tweet him: @NYTimesKrugman
Robert Reich is another supporter - @RBReich

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Why Americans are angry at Congress

Post by Guest on Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:22 pm

I sent him a tweet and the letter as well. Thanks Desp.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Why Americans are angry at Congress

Post by JoanB on Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:57 pm

And if they say we can't afford the big three, I say we can't afford two stupid wars, not to mention all the secret ones we're engaged in. 15 more names on This Week's list at the end today.

I don't want to hear anymore what we can't afford.

JoanB
Member

Posts : 485
Join date : 2011-03-01
Location : Pittsburgh, PA

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Americans are angry at Congress

Post by Sponsored content Today at 2:34 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum