Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
unemployed and disability  EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
unemployed and disability  EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
unemployed and disability  EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
unemployed and disability  EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
unemployed and disability  EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
unemployed and disability  EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
unemployed and disability  EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
unemployed and disability  EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
unemployed and disability  EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
unemployed and disability  EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
unemployed and disability  EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
unemployed and disability  EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
unemployed and disability  EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
unemployed and disability  EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
unemployed and disability  EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

unemployed and disability

+3
suri
gettheminNOVEMBER
exhaustedandtired/1208
7 posters

Go down

unemployed and disability  Empty unemployed and disability

Post by exhaustedandtired/1208 Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:02 pm

Well as some know I had some health issues some months ago my health has been not so good for past few years. However I worked up to December 2008 and my job was eliminated. I have had diabetes's and high blood pressure and also since 2006 diagnosed with atrial fibrulation and last few months now have valves leaking in my heart and a aortic valve leaking. So what that means is when my heart skips beats that means that the chamber firing does not create a full heart beat. Therefore blood doesn't get pumped all the way out of the chamber and flows back into the heart chamber it was suppose to get pumped out of! When my heart skips beats or flutters I lose my breath and there is a frightening lapse in the beating and it seems like its forever before my heart starts beating again. The dr. says since I have diabetes's its unlikely my heart will get better and will progressively get worse. Obviously since I am 63... I could have filed for full disability over 2yrs ago but did not because I would prefer working, but to no avail. Now I find I should have filed for disability over 2 yrs ago.. My disability rep. said since unemployment extensions have expired because of millions trying to jump over to try to claim disability and they find 90% of them are not disabled. Now the turn down rate is for first and second turn downs is over 95%. They say it is now very difficult for a truly disabled person to get approved without going to an appeals judge at least twice. and that can take over 2 or 3 yrs. of appeals. My rep. says she thinks I am a prime candidate for approval and may not get turned down because of my health and age and also being on 13 pills a day. for heart, blood pressure, blood thinners, and diuretics, and diabetes's... But yet it could be a long haul! Also I heard but can't confirm and it may be false information but someone said for anyone now applying for disability when one files their claim they may get turned down on the spot. But also there may be a class or something that involves a claimant to go to a 6 day event. I do not know if that's for inquisitions or taking medical test or what! And it also may be false info. None the less, now it is terribly hard to get disability. The bad news is I have filed for disability and now even if there is a extension, I cannot sign up for it, because I have stated I am unable to work... So I will lurk on here, but now will not receive any benefit from anything related to unemployment.

exhaustedandtired/1208

Back to top Go down

unemployed and disability  Empty Re: unemployed and disability

Post by exhaustedandtired/1208 Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:06 pm

Any comments or input or advice is appreciated.

exhaustedandtired/1208

Back to top Go down

Post by gettheminNOVEMBER Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:13 pm

1280 you need to take your medical records to whoever makes the decisions and be VERY forceful. You have very obvious problems. You are not lying and do not take no for an answer. Could you look into a lawyer taking your case? Another thing go see a social worker, he or she may be able to help and they are free to talk too. If I think of anything else I will let you know. I know you live in KY and the programs they offer are different then NY. Just don't take no for a answer.
gettheminNOVEMBER
gettheminNOVEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by exhaustedandtired/1208 Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:25 pm

Right getthem.. I saw a social worker yesterday she also represents disability claims, she had a 80+ % success rate before the numbers of unemployed have been applying and now as I have said they are turing down 90% on first time and first appeal claims. I took ALL of my medical records to her. There is a letter from my VA cardiologist back in Jan 11th, 2011 saying my heart and diabetes is debilitating and every thing is in my medical docs. I figure I will have to appeal and it could be a long while. If at all. But I won't quit. I can't now because I have eliminated myself from any more unemployment possibility, that is if there are more extensions. But I was so dumb for waiting so long! We'll see. thanks getthem..

exhaustedandtired/1208

Back to top Go down

Post by exhaustedandtired/1208 Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:27 pm

She and I also recognize that the unemployed out of benefits are desperate and doing what they must to survive and if seeking disability is a avenue of survival then go for it, but it does lengthen out the process and also now gives them an excuse to turn down everyone!

exhaustedandtired/1208

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:28 pm

1208, who is your Rep. and who are your Senators? They can help expedite SS claims, there are special contact numbers and email addresses for people searching for that kind of help.

I know this is true because my sister used this option 2 years ago when her husband was "fast-tracked" for disability benefits because he had terminal cancer. It took 6 months to be approved and the first retroactive check arrived 2 days after he died. Then, SS wanted it back. My sister contacted Senator Sheldon Whitehouse regarding the matter and within days the check was reissued to his estate.

Give me the names of your Rep. in the House and your Senators and I will get you the contact information so their case aides can help you with this.

Back to top Go down

Post by exhaustedandtired/1208 Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:29 pm

She said she had a man who had applied over two or three yrs ago and he now was in a coma dying but his wife was trying to get approved for the back pay that pays back to when the person became unable to work and the bad person judge turned him down. Dying! he finally died but the wife is still appealing for the back pay! Wow!

exhaustedandtired/1208

Back to top Go down

Post by exhaustedandtired/1208 Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:31 pm

DesperateInRI wrote:1208, who is your Rep. and who are your Senators? They can help expedite SS claims, there are special contact numbers and email addresses for people searching for that kind of help.

I know this is true because my sister used this option 2 years ago when her husband was "fast-tracked" for disability benefits because he had terminal cancer. It took 6 months to be approved and the first retroactive check arrived 2 days after he died. Then, SS wanted it back. My sister contacted Senator Sheldon Whitehouse regarding the matter and within days the check was reissued to his estate.

Give me the names of your Rep. in the House and your Senators and I will get you the contact information so their case aides can help you with this.

Yep, same thing with this guys wife. Desp. I am going to use this social worker who represents the disabled but If it gets drug out and becomes overwhelmingly difficult then I will pool my resources Thanks. ...

exhaustedandtired/1208

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:33 pm

exhaustedandtired/1208 wrote:She said she had a man who had applied over two or three yrs ago and he now was in a coma dying but his wife was trying to get approved for the back pay that pays back to when the person became unable to work and the bad person judge turned him down. Dying! he finally died but the wife is still appealing for the back pay! Wow!
That is what happens all the time. The same thing would have happened to my sister if she had not contacted Senator Whitehouse. As I said, the check was reissued within a matter of days. You need to follow the same procedures she did - ask for help from your legislators! They have case aides that deal with only Social Security matters. You need to get on this now!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:49 pm

You live on the IN/KY border, right?

Here are links to the case aides who deal with SS for the Senators from KY and IN:

Senator Coats - IN
http://coats.senate.gov/services/casework/socialsecurity/

Senator Lugar -IN
http://lugar.senate.gov/services/assistance/

Senator Paul - KY (I really hope you live in IN affraid )
http://paul.senate.gov/?p=agency_assistance

Senate Minority Leader McConnell ( Mad )
http://mcconnell.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?p=FederalCasework

If you actually live in IN, Senator Coats seems to have the most helpful site. Please read over the information I just provided you (especially Coat's link). You will need to provide a release authorization to them to access your medical history, you can do that online. Whatever the state, both Senators represent you, so contact both!

Also reviewing their "Services" page, I noticed there are also special services for veterans, and you are one.

Please take advantage of these options without delay. That is what they are there for. They have done nothing else for us, time to make them work for their money! CONTACT THEM NOW!!

Back to top Go down

Post by exhaustedandtired/1208 Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:09 pm

DesperateInRI wrote:You live on the IN/KY border, right?

Here are links to the case aides who deal with SS for the Senators from KY and IN:

Senator Coats - IN
http://coats.senate.gov/services/casework/socialsecurity/

Senator Lugar -IN
http://lugar.senate.gov/services/assistance/

Senator Paul - KY (I really hope you live in IN affraid )
http://paul.senate.gov/?p=agency_assistance

Senate Minority Leader McConnell ( Mad )
http://mcconnell.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?p=FederalCasework

If you actually live in IN, Senator Coats seems to have the most helpful site. Please read over the information I just provided you (especially Coat's link). You will need to provide a release authorization to them to access your medical history, you can do that online. Whatever the state, both Senators represent you, so contact both!

Also reviewing their "Services" page, I noticed there are also special services for veterans, and you are one.

Please take advantage of these options without delay. That is what they are there for. They have done nothing else for us, time to make them work for their money! CONTACT THEM NOW!!

Thanks, Very much!!!

exhaustedandtired/1208

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:17 pm

Im so sorry about your health issues 1208, I do remember you mentioning it before. Crying or Very sad Desp. advice is the best advice IMO. I hope it works out for you.

I too heard it is very difficult to get SSDI now a days. Keep trying and dont give up, you obviously have the medical records to back it up. Have you talked to a lawyer?

Back to top Go down

Post by suri Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:08 pm

I am so sorry. Simple words, but true. I have encouraged those in my world who fall into that iffy category of 'could work' if there were jobs to apply for disability SS immediately in the last TWO YEARS. Don't know why but I was somehow able to 'read' the writing on the wall, or just accept it better than most??

Thankfully the few people I knew did get through the process with no problem or hitch, but BIL passed from pan ca in 90 days at age 59 so NEVER received benefits...

I know statistically and logically this is a result of the unemp crisis and downturn so HIRE more SS workers to accomodate this!! WHY does it seem our govt doesn't WORK in any helpful way anymore?? I'm just so disappointed that people's lives are passing by while those in power and COULD DO GOOD --- don't!! idk

suri

Back to top Go down

Post by gettheminNOVEMBER Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:26 pm

Sounds like you have done everything right. Stay on that social worker they are so overloaded right now people can fall through the cracks. I am happy you won't give up because that is what they want.
gettheminNOVEMBER
gettheminNOVEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:51 pm

1208, you're a valued member and contributor to this forum. Please keep the energy you need to follow this through. If you get down, then call a friend or PM.

Yes disability seems to be the new extension to many people's focus. However much of what is being submitted as disability is hogwash. Your case sounds like a solid slam dunk.

In my opinion, until you have been deemed disabled by the state, you have every right and argument to continue hoping for HR589 relief.

Keep the faith, 1208.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jane0218 Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:43 pm

FYI--I know that once you reach age 50 or older, chances of being accepted increase greatly.

Also, even if you do get accepted (which I hope you do), you can still look for a job and work. The govt will allow you to work and keep Disability benefits as long as what is earned isn't "sustainable" income, which is about $900 month. But, if you earn over $700 month, they consider you wanting to get off disability. It's complex, but just wanted to let you know that your age will work for you, not against you, regarding disability.

Depending upon the state you live in, you may or may not be able to collect unemployment (if we ever get another 14 weeks) and collect disability.

If you get denied, if I were you I would look for an aggressive lawyer because you definitely, IMHO, can be considered disabled. A lawyer will probably be better than a social worker because they know the ins and outs of the law. And the most a lawyer can receive to help you is 20% of whatever your first payment is (which would include back pay if you're denied and need to appeal).

Fight for this if you get denied! A lawyer will do all the work for you!

Jane0218

Back to top Go down

Post by americatheneedy Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:14 pm

Yes, please stay on the forum. You are a victim of unemployment to the extreme, I'd say. They want people to die so they don't have to pay them. You must keep fighting and talking here.
americatheneedy
americatheneedy

Back to top Go down

Post by exhaustedandtired/1208 Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:15 pm

Jane0218 wrote:FYI--I know that once you reach age 50 or older, chances of being accepted increase greatly.

Also, even if you do get accepted (which I hope you do), you can still look for a job and work. The govt will allow you to work and keep Disability benefits as long as what is earned isn't "sustainable" income, which is about $900 month. But, if you earn over $700 month, they consider you wanting to get off disability. It's complex, but just wanted to let you know that your age will work for you, not against you, regarding disability.

Depending upon the state you live in, you may or may not be able to collect unemployment (if we ever get another 14 weeks) and collect disability.

If you get denied, if I were you I would look for an aggressive lawyer because you definitely, IMHO, can be considered disabled. A lawyer will probably be better than a social worker because they know the ins and outs of the law. And the most a lawyer can receive to help you is 20% of whatever your first payment is (which would include back pay if you're denied and need to appeal).

Fight for this if you get denied! A lawyer will do all the work for you!

I have held off on applying for disability because I prefer a job, knowing now at my age 64 and with the many health issues that NO ONE is going to hire me. They consider me a health risk. I called my disability rep. this morning and she said when the disability from SS office calls me to be sure and list my health Issues that are documented. Here is something that really hit me!!! She said " now be sure and tell them everything". Then she said " you have a aortic heart valve enlargement, you also have 2 or three leaky heart valves, you have diabetes's and neuropathy in upper hands and arms, you also have back lower sections from EMG test shows L-4 and L-5 lower back nerve damage, says I have compressed nerve left lower causing moderate pain and damage and on the opposite side I have a compressed nerve from bulging disc and it is diagnosed as moderate to severe". Then said I also have nerve damage in my right leg muscles from the nerve damage in my back has affected my leg muscles. I also have heart atrial fibrulation with skipped heart beats regularly,also have had knee surg. in both knees and have severe arthritis in both knees" Now I know this sounds like yeah right, just case building! No its all verified from medical records and also from my VA health records and numerous EMG test also heart stress echo test and MRI's... I take 13 pills a day for diabetes's and blood pressure and also blood thinners to avoid stroke. I take diuretics and heart medicine to control my heartbeats. I also have nitro glycerin for chest pain. I look this and think that I apologize to my kids because they think I exaggerate my health. But since my disability rep. read my health issues to me, I realize"Hey I'M dead".. I have waited all this time to hopefully seek a job and could have applied over two years ago! Heart doctor says my heart will get worse and not better, that comes with age and condition... So hey! what do you bet I get turned down at least twice on disability?? Oh well, we'll see. So now even if there is an extension I now cannot apply for it because of now applying for disability.

exhaustedandtired/1208

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:56 pm

1208, Happy Belated Father's Day! I really think you will see a disability approval before you see any extensions for the unemployed. EUC08 runs out at the end of the year, and I don't think that will be reauthorized without "finding a way to pay for it". If you take everyone's advice, especially regarding contacting your Rep. and Senators, you will not be turned down.

As far as "Hey, I'm dead", my father lived to be almost 83 and had the same conditions you are speaking of. Severe heart condition, including by-pass surgery, stents, diabetes, neuropathy, DVT's in his arm and took twice as many pills as you a day - and none of this killed him (bone cancer did).
You will make it, and you can still work when your disability is approved. Stay proactive with it, don't let up and take everyone's advice here.

We are all here to help you with it and get you through this.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:51 pm

1208,Desperate just said it all. You stay with us and hopefully, we can celebrate you getting financial help. Start by contacting your committee man and you local (county or city Representative). Make an appt. and go and tell them your story. We had to do this with my brother, he had a massive stroke and is completely paralyzed on his right side, he was turned down on his own merits twice, his state Rep. made an appt. with him, talked to him, contacted Social Security and we made the appt. again for ss and he was approved within 30 days. It is worth a shot. Wish it didn't have to be this way, but you helped pay their salaries all those years you worked, time for them to help you a little.

Back to top Go down

Post by exhaustedandtired/1208 Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:45 pm

DesperateInRI wrote:1208, Happy Belated Father's Day! I really think you will see a disability approval before you see any extensions for the unemployed. EUC08 runs out at the end of the year, and I don't think that will be reauthorized without "finding a way to pay for it". If you take everyone's advice, especially regarding contacting your Rep. and Senators, you will not be turned down.

As far as "Hey, I'm dead", my father lived to be almost 83 and had the same conditions you are speaking of. Severe heart condition, including by-pass surgery, stents, diabetes, neuropathy, DVT's in his arm and took twice as many pills as you a day - and none of this killed him (bone cancer did).
You will make it, and you can still work when your disability is approved. Stay proactive with it, don't let up and take everyone's advice here.

We are all here to help you with it and get you through this.

WOW! Encouraging and thanks ! Time will tell!

exhaustedandtired/1208

Back to top Go down

Post by exhaustedandtired/1208 Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:57 pm

Well another kind of waiting! I applied for disability that I should have couple yrs. ago! But as I said I have medical test confirming my heart issues and also a letter from cardiologist saying my heart condition is debilitating and also have skipped heartbeats and worsens with any exertion also have diabetes's with neuropathy and high blood pressure, and confirmed diagnosed lower back issue . L-3 and L-4 has bulging disc and left side moderate nerve damage and right side nerve compression with moderate to severe nerve damage also my right leg muscle has damage from nerve transmission because of damaged nerve in my spine! I take heart pills to keep my heart beating and I also take blood thinner to hopefully prevent a stroke, I also take 5 blood pressure meds, and total 14 pills/day! WOW! Never dreamed I would have to even think of this. I used to run 3 miles a day and did so from 1985 to 2001 or 2002 then I stopped running and exercising! I used to be very muscular and trim.. What the hell happened??? I am fat, bald, and ugly!!! I put this stuff in there because there are some who comment and complain about those who are out of benefits are trying to get disability. As I said, I could have applied long before I lost my job! So my point is Now I cannot apply for any extensions even if passed because I have said I am disabled and unable to work... So now I must wait at least 4 to 5 mos. to even hear a hint.. Then there is a 90% turn down rate the first two times.. then its appeal time! But I guess waiting for extensions has me prepped!Any stories or advice is appreciated!

exhaustedandtired/1208

Back to top Go down

Post by exhaustedandtired/1208 Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:59 pm

OH!! I also have been advised by the VA healthcare that I need to have both knees replaced. But cannot do until heart is stabilized! Hum! All that running! Took a toll on my back and knees! Dammed if you do and if you don't!!

exhaustedandtired/1208

Back to top Go down

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:23 pm

I'm sorry to hear of your health issues 1208. I pray for a quick resolve to this Ssi issue.
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathleen Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:07 am

I've had physical "limitations" since 1986. Going the SSDI and retirement way when I turn 55. Seriously since being on the unemployment tread mill, I am exhausted. Working a temp job that ends about my 55 b-day. Keep you posted. I've heard mixed bag from folks abusing the system (and it was easy for them to get it), to extra scrutinity of long term unemployed moving to SSDI. I've had my doctors, family and friends tell me for 5 years I belong on SSDI......... always faught it. My limitations are back related and I work a desk/analyst job, so always tried to hide it, but for the last few years I can't even walk right; been accused of "walking drunk". JUST TEST ME! I can't afford the steroids and hydrocortizone shots anymore that help block the pain and symptoms.
unemployed and disability  681285
Kathleen
Kathleen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down