Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Filling out a job application...what and what not to put on it EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Filling out a job application...what and what not to put on it EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Filling out a job application...what and what not to put on it EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Filling out a job application...what and what not to put on it EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Filling out a job application...what and what not to put on it EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Filling out a job application...what and what not to put on it EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Filling out a job application...what and what not to put on it EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Filling out a job application...what and what not to put on it EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Filling out a job application...what and what not to put on it EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Filling out a job application...what and what not to put on it EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Filling out a job application...what and what not to put on it EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Filling out a job application...what and what not to put on it EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Filling out a job application...what and what not to put on it EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Filling out a job application...what and what not to put on it EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Filling out a job application...what and what not to put on it EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Filling out a job application...what and what not to put on it

3 posters

Go down

Filling out a job application...what and what not to put on it Empty Filling out a job application...what and what not to put on it

Post by minxotic Tue May 03, 2011 11:25 pm

Hello,

I've been a lurker on the site since the first Unemployed Friends and today decided to ask for help and advice from the many knowledgeable folks here. I recently was scheduled for an interview and I'm going through the application process. First there was a silly personality test (this is a CSR position) and basic reading comprehension and applied math tests. I passed these and am now onto filling out the job application.

My question is, on my resume I have that I am currently employed as a contractor with a paralegal company that a friend is president of. I do work with my friend from time to time but it would not come up on an employment background check. I'm not sure if I should put this on my application. If I don't, it will appear that I've been unemployed since December 2009 or I've signed up with temp agencies but none of them have helped me to find work. My last job was a seasonal position at a retail store which I left in December 2009. So my question is, what should I put on my application? Do I leave off the contractor job (which nets me occasional pocket money but nothing that would have been reported as earnings)? I'm reading that a lot of companies are not hiring people who are unemployed and this really scares me because jobs are so scarce and I can't afford to stay unemployed. Any advice, tips are greatly appreciated.

minxotic

Back to top Go down

Filling out a job application...what and what not to put on it Empty Re: Filling out a job application...what and what not to put on it

Post by lendmeflight2 Wed May 04, 2011 12:03 am

I think I would put it down, especially if your friend will give you a reference that they can call. I think that if they can give you a personal reference then the company will probably hire you.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Filling out a job application...what and what not to put on it Empty Re: Filling out a job application...what and what not to put on it

Post by minxotic Wed May 04, 2011 2:10 pm

thanks for your input. i think it is a better idea to put this job down as i can use my friend as a reference.

minxotic

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 04, 2011 2:20 pm

Definitely put that job down! Not only for reference purposes, but to fill the gap in your employment history. It is a fact that employers do indeed discriminate against the unemployed. Watch the video of the day that was featured on CNN Money this weekend.

Back to top Go down

Post by minxotic Wed May 04, 2011 5:05 pm

Hi there DesperateinRI, can you tell me where to find the video? I went looking on CNN's site but didn't see anything regarding employment today.

Thanks a bunch for your response also.

minxotic

Back to top Go down

Post by minxotic Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:08 pm

I just logged in to update this post. I had been a lurker for a long time and just posted to get some advice from my fellow unemployed. I did get an interview and have since gotten the job. I'm working at Monster Worldwide in Florence, SC. I wanted to thank everyone here who uplifts this community. My prayers and positive thoughts go out to everyone who is still seeking employment.

minxotic

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:10 pm

Great news! Thanks for letting us know.

Back to top Go down

Post by TR11005 Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:36 pm

That is great news! Don't put employer's name, it is generally not a good idea.

Put down that you do Freelance assignments. That way you can put Present down. At least this year 2011. Many who work Contract Assignments whether as an Independent or through agencies. Put them together and put.

Contract/Freelance Assignments, 2008-2011.

In this case you didn't work all the time, but still acceptable. Many employers find this acceptable, where years ago it was different.

TR11005

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:24 pm

minxotic wrote:I just logged in to update this post. I had been a lurker for a long time and just posted to get some advice from my fellow unemployed. I did get an interview and have since gotten the job. I'm working at Monster Worldwide in Florence, SC. I wanted to thank everyone here who uplifts this community. My prayers and positive thoughts go out to everyone who is still seeking employment.

Congrats!!! Thats fantastic!! Thanks for updating us...good luck and stay in touch!
cheers Filling out a job application...what and what not to put on it 468390

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down