Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
"Al" Didn't Make It......... - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
"Al" Didn't Make It......... - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
"Al" Didn't Make It......... - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
"Al" Didn't Make It......... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
"Al" Didn't Make It......... - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
"Al" Didn't Make It......... - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
"Al" Didn't Make It......... - Page 2 EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
"Al" Didn't Make It......... - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
"Al" Didn't Make It......... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
"Al" Didn't Make It......... - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
"Al" Didn't Make It......... - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
"Al" Didn't Make It......... - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
"Al" Didn't Make It......... - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
"Al" Didn't Make It......... - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
"Al" Didn't Make It......... - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

"Al" Didn't Make It.........

+15
TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA
gettheminNOVEMBER
mscpateach
couth11
Kweanb
tbucsfan56
Dazed&Confused
Rose
lendmeflight2
Jobless_in_Ma
Carol in CA
CLO
americatheneedy
suri
Angelicrisis
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

"Al" Didn't Make It......... - Page 2 Empty "Al" Didn't Make It.........

Post by Guest Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:30 pm

First topic message reminder :

BACK IN JULY, 2010 AL DIDN'T MAKE IT...
From Unemployed-Friends.org ~ In memory of a former member, "Al".

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This is the story of Al, one of those statistics you all talk about, one of the constituents you read letters from on the Senate floor, on the House floor:

"He did everything right: worked hard all his life, paid taxes, took care of his family, participated in his community. Then boom, one day he was laid off at age 58, and for more than two years after that could only find odd jobs here and there. Jobs he applied for had many people showing up to try to get the same 1 job. When he reached 99 weeks and lost his unemployment benefits, he lost his home, he put his disabled wife and son into a homeless shelter, he lived in his van, he suffered when the police confiscated his license plate due to nonpayment of the registration. (He later had his plate returned to him after a kind soul paid his registration fee.) Unable to drive the van for a time to seek work, he walked miles and miles, and prospective employers told him that he would not be hired because he was too old. Managers at both McDonald's and Wendy's told him that the was too old to work for them. The welfare office said he couldn't have food stamps without a mailing address. The homeless shelters that accept men told him they were full. He managed to hang onto his laptop and used it to email Congress and the White House to help the 99ers, but no one listened. Then one day last week, he gave his laptop away to a fellow jobless man who had just sold his own computer to buy milk for his baby, walked a few miles back to where his van was parked, and shot himself in the head."—a fellow unemployed poster

A little while later we learned he is no longer with us. He was declared brain dead yesterday. His family courageously and most lovingly removed him from life support, and he died.

While all of you were aiming your slings and arrows at each other—you know, your good friends on the other side of the aisle—day after day, week after week, month after month, no one was noticing that many millions of Als were trying to live through one more day of heartbreak, terror, disgust, anger and a million other emotions—while attempting to find something to eat, someplace to sleep, and, yes, by golly, being chipper on that job hunt.

Today I'm not addressing this to Democrats. Today, I'm not addressing this to Republicans. Today I'm not addressing this to an Independent. I'm not addressing it to your political beliefs, your deficit spending or not. I'm addressing this to each and every human being in Congress, and I'm putting you on notice that a man died—a 99er died—because no one moved fast enough to help him.

Do you know how many 99ers are near bottom right now—who don't know if they can stand one more day, or even one more hour, trying to hold on until financial aid comes to them? They are white collar, blue collar, degreed and not, many years of experience, just out of school, with families, alone, with lives they've had to just give up, lives that don't exist anymore in any way resembling "the old days" when they were proud to be employed.

We are grateful that a bill for the 99ers has been introduced. But I cannot physically fathom that you people left for two weeks, and left millions of needy people behind. By your return from your break, there will be more Als who just. give. up.

Do you know what it's like to be penniless? I do. I've been.

Do you know what it's like to watch your loved one die from a brain injury? I do. I've watched.

His family members and close friend Bruce have been in agony since July 22 because you didn't do something to help this man in time.

Today we should all be mourning. This was a life lost. Al wasn't your constituent. He wasn't your statistic. He was a living, breathing, desperate human being.

How many more lives will be lost before other living, breathing, desperate human beings are helped? How many more have lost all hope since July? Please make a resolution to put an end to the fear and suffering of the #99ers. Please vow that there will be no more Als.

Last edited by DesperateInRI on Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:14 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

"Al" Didn't Make It......... - Page 2 Empty Re: "Al" Didn't Make It.........

Post by Carol in CA Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:29 am

Sometimes I feel like I am dreaming all of this.
How can this be happening in our country?
It is so hard now to believe this is the United States we are living in.
You look back and read in history how when Americans were out of work across this nation our president and his administration worked tirelessly to see that they got help. Instead now all we see is how the Americans are forgotten and treated like strangers in their own country. While our president and his administration worry more about foreign countries and helping to give more benefits to illegal aliens who are invading our country. We are in an unbelievable mess.

Carol in CA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:47 pm

Bump

Back to top Go down

Post by Rose Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:37 pm

All politicians are way way out of touch with the people. When you got thousands of people battling for a few openings at a fast food place. That says something. I know of 4 people all looking for work and will take any job they can get. My husband killed himself and there isnt a day go by I think of him. He was a hard worker and would of took any job but there is no jobs out there. The jobs that are out there you go and apply for them and maybe you will get an interview. 99ers need help to just survive. I have been on your side 99ers and been getting Als story out.

Rose

Back to top Go down

"Al" Didn't Make It......... - Page 2 Empty Al

Post by Kweanb Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:01 pm

There are not enough words to describe how I feel after reading Al's story! I understand though how he got to that point. My boyfriend and I are 99ers and are homeless as a result. There have been many days when he contemplated suicide. We have thought about doing it together but we cannot take that route. Nothing stays the same and though there are days when it seems like change will not come we must continue to put one foot in front of the other. We have each other and I have two beautiful granddaughters that I could never do that to. I know what it's like to have a loved one end their life. I understand how someone can sink that low. We must continue the fight............for Al, for ourselves, for all the other unemployed and 99ers! There is power in numbers. We must band together if we want to bring about the change needed to put this country back on track! I'm search for 99ers in Silicon Valley that would like to meet for support and brain storming. If you're interested, reply to this post.

Kweanb

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:41 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum, Kweanb.

I am sorry to hear of your situation. I am glad you and your boyfriend have decided to stick it out and not resort to suicide. Unfortunately many people are brought to this point.

Al was a great guy and his story is very sad. We will never forget him and think of him every day.

I am glad you posted your story and are willing to fight! We look forward to getting to know you.

Back to top Go down

"Al" Didn't Make It......... - Page 2 Empty Remembering Al

Post by couth11 Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:01 pm

Carol in CA wrote:We need a Wall for Victims of this economy.
With a list of all the names on it of those who committed suicide because they could not get any help.
Just like the Wall for our fallen Vietnam soldiers.
And have it built near the White House or Congress.
To remind them how they abandoned these Americans in a time of need.

I think a physical wall right along side the Vietnam Vets wall would be appropriate. As far as I am concerned we are victims of an economic genocide. Until then, I have a small blog that I've been trying to get victims of our economic policy to use to list their losses: I want it to be used as an impact statement demonstrating ALL that we have lost or been denied access to- people, pets, things, homes, confidence, trust, skills, the ability to be or feel safe, education...feel free to list anything and everything that comes to your minds. I want people to understand that we are people, we are human beings. We were contributing members of society until we were sidelined, victimized and ridiculed. They can become we, at anytime, and some of them have all that they do have, at our expense. Feel free to cite your losses here: http://www.couth11.blogspot.com/

http://www.couth11.blogspot.com/
couth11
couth11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:28 pm

RIP Al, We will never forget you!! Praying

Back to top Go down

Post by mscpateach Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:37 pm

I too remember Al from UF1. I remember the remorse and sadness when I learned of his fate. In the USA no one should die from lack of the ability to provide for one’s family. It’s just not right. It makes me sick to my stomach when I hear “employed” folks bad mouthing us underemployed and unemployed folks.
Rose, God bless you and your son. I’ll be a 99er soon and don’t know what my future holds but I have faith that God will provide for me and my family in some way. Hearing your words strengthens my resolve. I don’t ever want my family to feel what you feel. Thank you for posting. Again, God bless you and your son!

mscpateach

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:26 pm

God Bless Al and his family. Always in my prayers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:05 pm

DesperateInRI wrote:BACK IN JULY, 2010 AL DIDN'T MAKE IT...
From Unemployed-Friends.org ~ In memory of a former member, "Al".

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This is the story of Al, one of those statistics you all talk about, one of the constituents you read letters from on the Senate floor, on the House floor:

"He did everything right: worked hard all his life, paid taxes, took care of his family, participated in his community. Then boom, one day he was laid off at age 58, and for more than two years after that could only find odd jobs here and there. Jobs he applied for had many people showing up to try to get the same 1 job. When he reached 99 weeks and lost his unemployment benefits, he lost his home, he put his disabled wife and son into a homeless shelter, he lived in his van, he suffered when the police confiscated his license plate due to nonpayment of the registration. (He later had his plate returned to him after a kind soul paid his registration fee.) Unable to drive the van for a time to seek work, he walked miles and miles, and prospective employers told him that he would not be hired because he was too old. Managers at both McDonald's and Wendy's told him that the was too old to work for them. The welfare office said he couldn't have food stamps without a mailing address. The homeless shelters that accept men told him they were full. He managed to hang onto his laptop and used it to email Congress and the White House to help the 99ers, but no one listened. Then one day last week, he gave his laptop away to a fellow jobless man who had just sold his own computer to buy milk for his baby, walked a few miles back to where his van was parked, and shot himself in the head."—a fellow unemployed poster

A little while later we learned he is no longer with us. He was declared brain dead yesterday. His family courageously and most lovingly removed him from life support, and he died.

While all of you were aiming your slings and arrows at each other—you know, your good friends on the other side of the aisle—day after day, week after week, month after month, no one was noticing that many millions of Als were trying to live through one more day of heartbreak, terror, disgust, anger and a million other emotions—while attempting to find something to eat, someplace to sleep, and, yes, by golly, being chipper on that job hunt.

Today I'm not addressing this to Democrats. Today, I'm not addressing this to Republicans. Today I'm not addressing this to an Independent. I'm not addressing it to your political beliefs, your deficit spending or not. I'm addressing this to each and every human being in Congress, and I'm putting you on notice that a man died—a 99er died—because no one moved fast enough to help him.

Do you know how many 99ers are near bottom right now—who don't know if they can stand one more day, or even one more hour, trying to hold on until financial aid comes to them? They are white collar, blue collar, degreed and not, many years of experience, just out of school, with families, alone, with lives they've had to just give up, lives that don't exist anymore in any way resembling "the old days" when they were proud to be employed.

We are grateful that a bill for the 99ers has been introduced. But I cannot physically fathom that you people left for two weeks, and left millions of needy people behind. By your return from your break, there will be more Als who just. give. up.

Do you know what it's like to be penniless? I do. I've been.

Do you know what it's like to watch your loved one die from a brain injury? I do. I've watched.

His family members and close friend Bruce have been in agony since July 22 because you didn't do something to help this man in time.

Today we should all be mourning. This was a life lost. Al wasn't your constituent. He wasn't your statistic. He was a living, breathing, desperate human being.

How many more lives will be lost before other living, breathing, desperate human beings are helped? How many more have lost all hope since July? Please make a resolution to put an end to the fear and suffering of the #99ers. Please vow that there will be no more Als.

RIP, Al, it has been one year since that tragic day, but it still seems like yesterday.
Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by gettheminNOVEMBER Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:38 pm

MaryKay wrote:God Bless Al and his family. Always in my prayers.

I second that Praying Praying
gettheminNOVEMBER
gettheminNOVEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:58 pm

gettheminNOVEMBER wrote:
MaryKay wrote:God Bless Al and his family. Always in my prayers.

I second that Praying Praying

I third that. Will never forget him. Praying that Orphan does not take the same path.

"Al" Didn't Make It......... - Page 2 168630

TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA

Back to top Go down

Post by TruthBTold Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:03 pm

These are exactly the letters we should be sending to ALL of our congressmen, both State and Federal, as well as the White House. These are REAL PEOPLE, with REAL LIFE PROBLEMS. We are not just an "interest group" lobbying for the next "trendy" congressional bill. We are lobbying for our LIVES. We are members of families, of communities, of churches, etc. This breaks my heart. Al didn't deserve to be treated with such a lack of dignity, and neither do we, while the powers that be squabble over miniscule tax increases and deficits. When does the craziness stop? We ARE SUFFERING DOWN HERE IN THE REAL AMERICA!!!!! We are BEGGING for jobs!!!!! We are BEGGING for some kind of assistance. None of us were responsible for this mess. But we are paying with our lives, our hearts, and our souls for it. When does it stop??????????

TruthBTold

Back to top Go down

Post by stillnutty Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:49 pm

Prayers for Al, Rose, their families, and all the unemployed. Sad

stillnutty
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:54 pm

Thinking of Al, Rose and their loved ones especially today...this must be a rough day for the family. Ongoing prayers to you Praying

Back to top Go down

Post by TR11005 Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:20 pm

How many more Als will it take? This is more shame then last year when it happen. The tragedy is not one thing else was done. Al would still be months away from collecting even early Social Security. Something he worked for a life time to collect someday. SS would have at least kept his family fed. We can help the world, but for us exhaustees it is the RAW DEAL.

TR11005

Back to top Go down

Post by anyoldname Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:21 pm

Prayers for Al and all those who are suffering.

anyoldname

Back to top Go down

Post by anyoldname Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:22 pm

Perhaps in remembrance of Al, someone with a Twitter account can tweet Paul Klugman and/or Robert Reich with this post?

anyoldname

Back to top Go down

Post by Rose Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:19 pm

Thank you all for the prayers and thoughts. There isn't a day go by where I miss my Al. He was a great guy a very hard worker. You all would of loved him and his personality. He is the type of guy he would give his shirt off his back to anyone. Al was a laid off construction worker and he just had no where to go and was living out of our van. He applied for hundreds of jobs and got nothing but interviews. He had no other choice but suicide because all the homeless shelters are full and still are. This is wha breaks my heart the facts are there are millions of 99ers and we just cant get the help. Now Als brother has gotten to be a 99er and I am so scared because he said he will be seeing his brother soon. He just cant find work and he is like Al he would take any job as long as he can put food on the table. Sad but the politicians dont care and consider us free loaders.

Rose

Back to top Go down

Post by TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:17 pm

Rose wrote:Thank you all for the prayers and thoughts. There isn't a day go by where I miss my Al. He was a great guy a very hard worker. You all would of loved him and his personality. He is the type of guy he would give his shirt off his back to anyone. Al was a laid off construction worker and he just had no where to go and was living out of our van. He applied for hundreds of jobs and got nothing but interviews. He had no other choice but suicide because all the homeless shelters are full and still are. This is wha breaks my heart the facts are there are millions of 99ers and we just cant get the help. Now Als brother has gotten to be a 99er and I am so scared because he said he will be seeing his brother soon. He just cant find work and he is like Al he would take any job as long as he can put food on the table. Sad but the politicians dont care and consider us free loaders.

Rose, my husband and I will never forget Al. I can only imagine what you are going through. We will pray for his brother that he will find the strength to pull through this. Take comfort in the fact that Al is in heaven and the incompetents in Washington that drove him to despair will go straight to hell. Keeping you in my prayers.

TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA

Back to top Go down

Post by stillnutty Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:45 pm

"Al" Didn't Make It......... - Page 2 769716 Rose

stillnutty
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by mscpateach Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:52 am

RIP, Al.

mscpateach

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2