Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Does following up even work? - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Does following up even work? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Does following up even work? - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Does following up even work? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Does following up even work? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Does following up even work? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Does following up even work? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Does following up even work? - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Does following up even work? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Does following up even work? - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Does following up even work? - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Does following up even work? - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Does following up even work? - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Does following up even work? - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Does following up even work? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Does following up even work?

+6
Sunrise
JoanB
Scipio
Hunterforjobs
Judi58
08pacollegegrad
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Does following up even work? - Page 2 Empty Does following up even work?

Post by 08pacollegegrad Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:43 am

First topic message reminder :

Back story:

Two weeks ago, I had four interviews at a restaurant for a hostess job, so basically I wasn't going to be making anymore than $8 or $9 an hour. I never did find out what the exact pay would be, but based on my knowledge of the food service industry, I didn't expect more than $9 an hour. That was OK, because I really just want to get out of the house and work at this point.

I met with the woman in charge of employee training when I dropped off my application, then had three interviews each of the three following days with two assistant managers and a general manager. The management seemed to like me and said I had good availability and then had me fill out a form to agree to a background check.

Each day of my following three interviews, I was on time. I was dressed up nice and was courteous to everyone I met.

But now, the job I thought would be mine has not come to. In fact, after all of these interviews I have not heard a thing back. They haven't called to even mention if there was a problem with my background check. I've heard nothing saying they are held up, that they can't hire me...just silence.

OK I guess I should make my point. I vented about this to a few of my friends, and they responded that I should call them because "it only takes a couple of minutes" and it "shows you're interested".

Is it ever the employer's responsibility to call the job seeker anymore, or do they just sit around expecting everyone to flock to them and bow down to them??

I could understand my friends' response if I had simply filled out an application, dropped it off and hadn't met with anyone. However, I had a hard time understanding that I still needed to "show interest" after four interviews. I think they know I want the job...

I'm not convinced following up even works in the job search. In my experience, in the times I have followed up, I have either been ignored or gotten ambiguous answers. After one such interview, I followed up with the hiring manager in a fair amount of time and was told that they were still "making a decision", and I never heard from that company again! In fact, they did the standard re-post the job because no one was perfect enough. Also, I have sent thank you notes after every interview, and here I am...still unemployed!

I just think it's outdated advice, and I apologize to anyone who has gotten a job from this. But it hasn't worked for me, and I just don't think it's worth it to keep trying. I have heard some advice that if the employer were really interested, they would contact you, and I wold have to agree.

Really, though, if everyone who was unemployed followed up and it impressed employers that much, maybe we wouldn't have a problem.

Am I being ridiculous, or is this others' experience as well?

08pacollegegrad

Back to top Go down

Does following up even work? - Page 2 Empty Re: Does following up even work?

Post by JoanB Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:27 am

Yeah, I had one of those recently.

T or F : I like to play games of chance, even when I can't afford it.

Does following up even work? - Page 2 457196

Would anyone ever answer T to that, even if it were true?
JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Post by New_Wave_Princess Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:51 am

I just quit one midway through when it said the test normally takes 60-90 minutes. Need I mention it was for a minimum wage job for 16-25 hours? Forget that, yes I need money but not that bad. Last year I took a test for a $10 hour job asking me questions in calc and trig. I failed that one but why should someone know those for a job like that? It's a way to discriminate against older workers. I took trig in college but that was many years ago.

New_Wave_Princess

Back to top Go down

Post by lizalphonso Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:26 am

Best job I ever had required four interviews, one of which I had to fly to the corporate home office. Sometimes they make it difficult and make you jump through hoops to find out how you handle and react to things.
Bottom line if you need the job, its their game and you play by their rules.

lizalphonso

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:56 am

JoanB wrote:Yeah, I had one of those recently.

T or F : I like to play games of chance, even when I can't afford it.

Does following up even work? - Page 2 457196

Would anyone ever answer T to that, even if it were true?

That's the point of those tests. You just tell them what they want to hear. I have worked for many companies that used them and used them to hire people. I have never failed one. To me it is just common sense. Tell them what you think they want to hear, not the truth. I don't mean this to be an insult. I would be willing to help anyone with any questions about these tests that they might have.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by JoanB Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:13 am

Well lendme, my point was, what could the employer possibly hope to weed out? People who were that stupid wouldn't know which key to press or which end of the pencil to use in the first place.

They might as well have asked "T or F: I like to get drunk, go into work, beat up my boss, and torch the place."
JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Post by rainer123 Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:52 pm

When I was hiring people I always felt that a follow up phone call or note gave that person a leg up

rainer123

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:07 pm

rainer123 wrote:When I was hiring people I always felt that a follow up phone call or note gave that person a leg up

I totally agree. Don't be obsessive, but definitely this shows your continued interest and may just be a call made in the "nick of decision time".

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2