Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 4 EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 4 EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 4 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget! Post your Recipe!

+13
cablab
laine25
couth11
JoanB
MoInSTL
Sunrise
mrmarti
rainer123
gettheminNOVEMBER
LeannaAndPerry
lizalphonso
superstevies
Jobless_in_Ma
17 posters

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 4 Empty UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget! Post your Recipe!

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:41 pm

First topic message reminder :

Ive seen a lot of good recipes posted in the "whats for dinner" thread in both the old and new UFF.

I think this would be a great resource for those looking for new ideas for meals on the cheap.

Please try and limit the discussions to only recipes etc and use the "Whats for dinner" thread for more generalized food chat comments

Happy sharing!! And good eating! UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 4 417709

Last edited by Jobless_in_Ma on Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org

Back to top Go down

UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 4 Empty Re: UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget! Post your Recipe!

Post by Guest Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:26 pm

gettheminNOVEMBER wrote:Anyone have a good recipie for ham? I am making one for Easter. :03452:

Put it in the oven and cook it. Sounds good to me.

questin

Back to top Go down

UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget!  Post your Recipe! - Page 4 Empty Re: UF2.0 Cook Book ~ Planning meals on a tight budget! Post your Recipe!

Post by gettheminNOVEMBER Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:32 pm

DesperateInRI wrote:
gettheminNOVEMBER wrote:Anyone have a good recipie for ham? I am making one for Easter. :03452:

questin

No Spices?
gettheminNOVEMBER
gettheminNOVEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by MoInSTL Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:06 pm

Cut the top into diamonds and add a clove where it intersects. Can also make a honey mustard glaze. Tons of recipes online.
MoInSTL
MoInSTL

Back to top Go down

Post by gettheminNOVEMBER Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:12 pm

MoInSTL wrote:Cut the top into diamonds and add a clove where it intersects. Can also make a honey mustard glaze. Tons of recipes online.

I found that but I am not a big fan of cloves but I do like the honey mustard. I found a recipe with beer so I think I am going to go with that one. Happy dance
gettheminNOVEMBER
gettheminNOVEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:20 pm

gettheminNOVEMBER wrote:
DesperateInRI wrote:

questin

No Spices?

Honey mustard and beer. Very Happy Marinate in Jack Daniels overnight. Put it in a pan, slap the honey mustard on top, put the rest of the Jack marinade in it and add a 30 rack. Bake for 6 hours. At that point, you won't care what it tastes like.
drunken

Back to top Go down

Post by superstevies Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:53 pm

DR. PEPPER GLAZED HAM:

Ingredients
1 (7- to 10-pound) spiral-sliced, bone-in half ham, preferably shank end
1 plastic oven bag
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup Dr Pepper
2 tablespoons orange juice
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard

Directions
1. Remove the ham from the packaging.
Place the ham in the plastic oven bag, tie the bag shut, and trim the excess plastic. Set the ham, cut-side down, in a 13 by 9-inch baking dish and cut four slits in the top of the bag. (If you don’t have an oven bag, place the ham cut-side down in the baking dish and wrap tightly with foil.) Let sit at room temperature for 1 1/2 hours.

2. Adjust an oven rack to the lowest position and heat the oven to 250°F
3. Bake the ham until the center registers 100°F on an instant-read thermometer, 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours (about 14 minutes per pound if using a plastic oven bag, about 17 minutes per pound if using foil), depending on the weight of the ham.

4. While the ham bakes, bring the sugar, Dr Pepper, orange juice, and mustard to a simmer in a medium saucepan and cook until syrupy and reduced to 3/4 cup, about 8 minutes.

5. Remove the ham from the oven and roll back the sides of the bag to expose the ham. Brush the ham liberally with the Dr Pepper glaze and return to the oven until the glaze becomes sticky, about 10 minutes. Brush the entire ham again with the Dr Pepper glaze, tent loosely with foil, and rest for 30 to 40 minutes before serving.

Last edited by superstevies on Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed an error)
superstevies
superstevies

Back to top Go down

Post by gettheminNOVEMBER Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:09 pm

That sounds good thanks supersteve. I might sub the Dr. Pepper for a beer.
gettheminNOVEMBER
gettheminNOVEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by MoInSTL Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:27 pm

gettheminNOVEMBER wrote:That sounds good thanks supersteve. I might sub the Dr. Pepper for a beer.

I think the Dr. Pepper gives it the caramel color though and the sugar in it the glaze.
MoInSTL
MoInSTL

Back to top Go down

Post by gettheminNOVEMBER Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:30 pm

MoInSTL wrote:
gettheminNOVEMBER wrote:That sounds good thanks supersteve. I might sub the Dr. Pepper for a beer.

I think the Dr. Pepper gives it the caramel color though and the sugar in it the glaze.

That makes sense, I will give it a try.
gettheminNOVEMBER
gettheminNOVEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by JoanB Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:04 pm

Too bad there are no ham recipes in this:

MEAT! MEAT! MEAT!
JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Post by mrmarti Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:09 pm

I got a small (12 oz) canned ham from food bank - found this recipe at Bisquick website. Had all the ingredients except the apple. Also I only had 2 scallions, so I diced 1/2 of small onion as well. And I didn't have quite 1 cup of cheddar - so I used a couple slices of individually wrapped american cheese slices.

SERVINGS - 6

INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 cups cut-up cooked ham
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (4 oz)
4 medium green onions, sliced (1/4 cup)
1 small cooking apple, peeled, chopped (1/2 cup)
1/2 cup Original Bisquick® mix
1 cup milk
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 eggs

Heat oven to 400°F. Grease bottom and side of 9-inch pie plate. Sprinkle ham, cheese, onions and apple in pie plate.

In medium bowl, stir remaining ingredients until blended. Pour over ham mixture.Bake uncovered 35 to 40 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

I just got finished eating it and it was really, really good - there was a suggestion to crisp bacon up and use that instead of hame - I think I will try that next time.

This was really easy and really tasty. I love bisquick impossible pies - this one is going to be a keeper.

mrmarti
mrmarti

Back to top Go down

Post by gettheminNOVEMBER Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:15 pm

I forgot to say the Dr. Pepper ham was good. That sounds good as well mrmarti

Tonight is all about the hotdogs. Sabretts and kraut. I started work two weeks ago and they hold the first check and I get paid every 2 weeks. Sucks I won't see a check till May 12th Rolling Eyes I am so used to being cheap I don't think I will ever go back to blowing cash on whatever I want. Well maybe good beer. drunken The cheap crap gives me the runs Razz
gettheminNOVEMBER
gettheminNOVEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by mrmarti Tue May 17, 2011 4:03 pm

I haven't been posting lately on any sites basically because my spirits are on a downward spiral lately. But today - even tho it is so miserable in Ct. what with the pouring rain and also the chilly weather (my heat went on today) I was determined to find a new recipe for me to try tonight. This is what I found - it looks easy and I have all the ingredients (can't go shopping til next week) so I decided to give it a try.

Original Recipe Yield 4 servings

Ingredients
2 tablespoons butter
2 eggs
3/4 cup milk
1 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon white sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 can sweet corn, drained
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

Directions
1. Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet and set aside to cool slightly.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, beat the eggs. Beat in the milk. Add the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix until just combined. Add corn, cheese and melted butter from skillet and mix just until combined.
3. Heat the same skillet over medium heat until hot. Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto the hot skillet and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Repeat with the remaining batter. Serve hot with syrup.

Will let you know how it comes out.
mrmarti
mrmarti

Back to top Go down

Post by JoanB Tue May 17, 2011 7:33 pm

That's the best kind of recipes--the ones you already have all the stuff for! And this one looks like you could do variatons with it too, like instead of cheese, apple chunks.

Hope it turned out good, mrmarti!
JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 17, 2011 8:35 pm

Sounds really good mrmarti. I am with you, can't shop until June 3rd. Didn't budget correctly while staying with Dad and my Sister after the flood. This sounds like a great one. Don't be down alone, we're all here for that reason.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 17, 2011 8:50 pm

This doesn't count as a recipe, but my Nana cooked ham this way.

4 Tablespoons of sugar, 1 can of 7-UP. Fill a large pot with water, sugar and 7-up, enough to cover. Bring to boil on top of stove, lower and let simmer for 15 minutes. Now, if that's not strange enough, remove ham from water, place in a brown paper bag, put it on a baking sheet and bake at 250 for 1/2 hour. Remove, let stand 20 minutes and carve. Can be served warm or cold.

Supposedly, the sugar curing makes it less salty. Baking it in the brown bag absorbs the fat. I should add, this only works with a bone in ham, not boneless or spiral sliced.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 17, 2011 8:54 pm

And, another ham idea. Walmart sells Chopped and Cubed Ham in vacuum sealed packs. 1 lb for 2.98. They also are selling the kraft mac and cheese 8 packs for 3.00. Use two mac and cheese and 1/2 bag of chopped ham, add a little chopped onion, green pepper, parsley and you have a meal for 4, plus enough to make another meal. I get the ham all the time, it's good and I make this at least once a month and use the other half for ham and cheese scrambled eggs for Sunday breakfast. It's quite good and for 6 dollars you get two meals, plus extra mac and cheese for side dishes.

Back to top Go down

Post by mrmarti Tue May 17, 2011 9:52 pm

JoanB wrote:That's the best kind of recipes--the ones you already have all the stuff for! And this one looks like you could do variatons with it too, like instead of cheese, apple chunks.

Hope it turned out good, mrmarti!

MaryKay wrote:Sounds really good mrmarti. I am with you, can't shop until June 3rd. Didn't budget correctly while staying with Dad and my Sister after the flood. This sounds like a great one. Don't be down alone, we're all here for that reason.

They turned out good - yummy - pancakes with body - my grandson was over and he's a finicky eater and he loved them The apples sound good but I don't know if I would use cornmeal - will have to research that one - I remember having apple fritters - so apple pancakes would be a winner.
mrmarti
mrmarti

Back to top Go down

Post by mrmarti Tue May 17, 2011 9:55 pm

MaryKay wrote:And, another ham idea. Walmart sells Chopped and Cubed Ham in vacuum sealed packs. 1 lb for 2.98. They also are selling the kraft mac and cheese 8 packs for 3.00. Use two mac and cheese and 1/2 bag of chopped ham, add a little chopped onion, green pepper, parsley and you have a meal for 4, plus enough to make another meal. I get the ham all the time, it's good and I make this at least once a month and use the other half for ham and cheese scrambled eggs for Sunday breakfast. It's quite good and for 6 dollars you get two meals, plus extra mac and cheese for side dishes.

Another way to use the ham is buy either instant scallop potatoes add the ham and bake.
mrmarti
mrmarti

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 17, 2011 11:08 pm

Sounds good too. I could eat potatoes and skip the rest of the meal any night.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Tue May 17, 2011 11:26 pm

Scalloped potatoes with ham? Yummy!
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2011 10:07 am

Any recipes for a vegetarian? Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by mrmarti Wed May 18, 2011 10:32 am

my grandmother use to make this from leftover ham - just thought of it - next time I make a ham I'm going to make this recipe - it's like scallop potatoes only cooked on top of the stove.

cut up ham
a couple of onions
sliced peeled potatoes

put in pot and cover with milk - bring to boil - simmer till potatoes are done
mrmarti
mrmarti

Back to top Go down

Post by mrmarti Wed May 18, 2011 11:34 am

DesperateInRI wrote:Any recipes for a vegetarian? Very Happy

This is a recipe from Rachel Raye on making falafel burgers - they are so good.

http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/food/recipes/falafel-burgers/

she makes a tahini sauce which is good but tahini paste is not inexpensive, but it goes a long way.

I also make a yogurt based sauce which is good:

easy version of a tzatkiki yogurt sauce.  
3/4 cup of plain yogurt
1 tbsp mayo
Half a cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
About a tablespoon of your choice of herbs - basil, parsley,
spearmint,and oregano, but dill is pretty classic.
Salt and black pepper to taste
Combine well all the ingredients and allow them to chill in the refrigerator for at least 1/2 hour.  The longer it sits, the better the flavors will meld.  

or this one:

Ingredients
• 2 (8 ounce) containers plain yogurt
• 2 cucumbers - peeled, seeded and diced
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1/2 lemon, juiced
• salt and pepper to taste
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
• 3 cloves garlic, peeled

Directions
You must drain the yogurt in a colander for a few hours. This is the way they do it the Greek restaurants. You should also salt and drain the cucumbers for an hour, you can slice them and put them in a collander.

In a food processor or blender, combine yogurt, cucumber, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, dill and garlic. Process until well-combined. Transfer to a separate dish, cover and refrigerate for at least one hour for best flavor.

Falafel burgers are great - google them and there are tons of recipes. Any left over sauce can be used as a dip or veggy topping

mrmarti
mrmarti

Back to top Go down

Post by mrmarti Wed May 18, 2011 7:51 pm

looked for recipes again on the internet - I had a can of black beans from the food bank, but I have never eaten them. Found this recipe for black beans and rice and made it tonight.

2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
2 cloves of minced garlic
1 (15 ounce) can black beans (undrained)
3/4 cup water
1 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1 package sazon goya see note below
1 tablespoon cooking wine or 1 tablespoon cider vinegar (I used red wine vinegar)

2 cups cooked white rice

Heat oil in a medium sauce pan, sauté onion,green pepper, and garlic.
Sauté until tender@8-10 minutes.
Add in remaining ingredients and stir until boiling, reduce heat and simmer until sauce is reduced@ 20 minutes.
Serve over white rice.

Note: if you do not have Sazòn Goya an appropriate substitute would be ground cumin, chicken bouillon, 1/2 tsp. coriander and garlic salt to taste.

I added about 1/4 lb. ground beef when I was sauteing the onions and garlic. But this recipe can stand on its own without any meat. It was really tasty - served it with cold stewed tomatoes and multi-grain tortilla chips (again from the food bank - they always have boxes of free chips, fritos, cheetohs etc. We have a frito lays distributor here in Naugatuck and they donate cases to the Food Bank). I will definitely make this again and without the meat - nice quick tasty dinner and definitely cheap. I got everything but the spices and vinegar from the Food Bank. I hope there's leftovers for tomorrow.
mrmarti
mrmarti

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next