Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
It's one of those days! EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
It's one of those days! EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
It's one of those days! EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
It's one of those days! EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
It's one of those days! EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
It's one of those days! EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
It's one of those days! EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
It's one of those days! EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
It's one of those days! EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
It's one of those days! EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
It's one of those days! EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
It's one of those days! EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
It's one of those days! EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
It's one of those days! EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
It's one of those days! EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

It's one of those days!

+3
jmainframe
elvis44102
MarilynL
7 posters

Go down

It's one of those days! Empty It's one of those days!

Post by MarilynL Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:25 pm

So...I went for my orientation at Target this morning..Yipee! Yes, I know I should be happy that I have something...but that something certainly isn't going to help me to survive. 15 hours a week, at minimum wage. With my luck I will loose some food stamps, and it won't be worth a dime. But I will continue to paint a smile on my face, because I know I have no choice.

In the meantime I am still mourning the fact that I have walked away from a 15 year voluntering job with youth, a job I just loved. I walked away because I had to spend more time looking for a real job, and it was taking up too much of my time. But I miss the kids...I miss doing the things I loved to do. I tried to hang on to it, because they were the ones that made my life worth going on...but I had to leave it. Now there isn't anything worth getting up in the morning for...but I will continue to allow my body to move in that habitual motion....getting up and getting dressed, and painting that smile on my face to impress the world that I am strong, that I won't let this get me down. Why? So they can say one day, "She was such a strong person for what she had to go thru in her life?" 5 minutes later, they'll forget that I even existed.

MarilynL

Back to top Go down

It's one of those days! Empty Re: It's one of those days!

Post by elvis44102 Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:53 pm

its a decision that was carefully thought out....and you are not "Permanently" giving up something, just till things get better..

and any job is better than no job, anything that puts some cash in your pocket....this to is not Permanent....
elvis44102
elvis44102

Back to top Go down

Post by MarilynL Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:02 pm

So been working at the new part time job for two weeks...while I don't mind the job...I have to say that their training has alot to be desired. I am working with all young kids...who have no idea how to train. They make you stand there and watch them, while they zip thru everything, and they expect you to know what they just did...they don't even explain step by step... DUH! And one of the girls hasn't a nice thing to say about any of the new people that have just started...she has complained about most everyone of them behind their back...just makes me want to get up and go to work there. I would rather be just a cashier than work in customer service knowing what I see in there now....

MarilynL

Back to top Go down

Post by elvis44102 Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:34 pm

hang in there...
elvis44102
elvis44102

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:03 pm

elvis44102 wrote:its a decision that was carefully thought out....and you are not "Permanently" giving up something, just till things get better..

and any job is better than no job, anything that puts some cash in your pocket....this to is not Permanent....

Well expressed, Elvis.

Back to top Go down

Post by MarilynL Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:38 am

Not permanent? I don't lavish in false hopes. lolol...But I can hope that I will be able to hang in there until I retire, another 6 years, and then I can work any part time job, and walk out anytime I see bullshit...

Is that too negative, Mackey??? lololol

MarilynL

Back to top Go down

Post by MarilynL Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:37 pm

MarilynL wrote:So been working at the new part time job for two weeks...while I don't mind the job...I have to say that their training has alot to be desired. I am working with all young kids...who have no idea how to train. They make you stand there and watch them, while they zip thru everything, and they expect you to know what they just did...they don't even explain step by step... DUH! And one of the girls hasn't a nice thing to say about any of the new people that have just started...she has complained about most everyone of them behind their back...just makes me want to get up and go to work there. I would rather be just a cashier than work in customer service knowing what I see in there now....

So, now I've been there for 5 weeks. My training consisted of one day on one dept, two days off, another day in another area to be cross trained, two days off, and then back to the other ...then reading a small brochure detailing the job, that was only expected to take an hour to read, but was expected to have studied it, and know exactly what to do when I was finished...being trained by one young person who just had me stand there and watch without any explanation on what and why she was doing a certain transaction. There is so many different scenarios on my job that it was impossible for me to be taught everything in that small amount of time, however,when I am on my own, everytime I come up with one of the unfamiliar scenarios I have to page someone to come over and solve the problem...While they are solving the problem, I am helping someone else in line, therefore I never get to see how they solved the problem, and guess what...I still don't have the foggiest idea on what to do the next time that issue comes up. I work with all young people who have no idea how to train anyone. I had a melt down on Friday...tired of being frustrated, and angry, and feeling stupid....being in management all my life, and having trained hundreds of people and kids, I feel like I am too old to even understand anything anymore, even though I know better. I would never expect someone to know how to do this job in the time that allowed me, with 2 or 3 days off in between, and expected to remember something that was taught me two weeks ago, and doing it only once. Is there something wrong with me, or with them? Who knows...but I am ready to quit...haven't decided whether I would rather be flat broke, homeless, cold, and hungry, or sticking it out and feeling totally worthless and stupid, or possible getting fired for not being able to handle the job.

MarilynL

Back to top Go down

Post by MarilynL Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:37 pm

Oh...they even told me that I was too friendly with the customers....HAAH!

MarilynL

Back to top Go down

Post by jmainframe Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:27 am

Marilyn, I think the job will start to get easier going forward. Don't worry about Black Friday. You'll get through that too. Everyone's in the same boat and will help eachother out.

Too friendly with the customers?? In retail, you can NEVER be too friendly with the customers!
jmainframe
jmainframe

Back to top Go down

Post by elvis44102 Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:54 am

i understand the frustration, i am always having situations come up that are not in the manual...

they told us in training to call for help whenever something deviated from the norm even slightly..

we have since received emails that tell us not to call the help desk in such and such situation

i am supposed to be friendly, but not too friendly, i have clients who tell me i am "the boss" and in charge and some who appear too important to bother.

it sometimes appears to me that people are following rules without using common sense

i would not voluntarily quit any job at this time, give it your best and let that be that

elvis44102
elvis44102

Back to top Go down

Post by RhondaTaylor Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:29 am

Oh MarilynL, you do go on sometimes!
RhondaTaylor
RhondaTaylor

Back to top Go down

Post by DesperateInRI Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:00 pm

RhondaTaylor wrote:Oh MarilynL, you do go on sometimes!
....and she has every right to! Who else but the members here know what it has been like living this way, no jobs, exhausted benefits for years? This is a forum to come for support, not just to find out if unemployment benefits are being extended again................ Mad
DesperateInRI
DesperateInRI
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by wausauguy Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:46 am

MarilynL thank you for sharing. I think I can relate to your situation. I am back working for 6 months now.. so glad to have a job. BUT, it seems I am so stressed the last few weeks.... at my 6 month evaluation which i though went pretty well some things were harped on mainly talking too much with the coworker in my office. While there is truth to it, it also did not have to be stated a dozen times.
I am not sure what to think, having been unemployed after over 20 years of steady fulltime employment has left some pretty painful imprints on me and any slight negative from my boss has me in near panic. I fear losing this job.
I suspect it iwll get easier for you and if it doesnt well you will find a way. I know how empty words can be, but we all have to keep our heads up and take care of ourselves and not be beaten down.
I wish there were living wage jobs for us all.
My opinion is try it a bit longer and see if it works and if not, well you can move on.
J

wausauguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:34 pm

DesperateInRI wrote:
....and she has every right to! Who else but the members here know what it has been like living this way, no jobs, exhausted benefits for years? This is a forum to come for support, not just to find out if unemployment benefits are being extended again................ Mad

Yeah, what gives, Rhonda? Marilyn is way cool. Just because you didn't like that my BF disagreeing with a statement you made on your unemployment groupie page and banned him?

Nix on that!

macky

Back to top Go down

Post by JennyPA73 Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:18 pm

DesperateInRI wrote:

I don't think you should be dictating what you think this site is supposed to be. It's not just for the long-term unemployed. It is also a source of information for a lot of us. I was a 99'er, got a sales job for 11 months, then was laid off again. I just transition to Federal EUC and am going to be screwed if this extension doesn't go through. I came back on here to look for updates and to sign petitions...also for support.

JennyPA73

Back to top Go down

Post by DesperateInRI Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:42 pm

JennyPA73 wrote:
DesperateInRI wrote:

I don't think you should be dictating what you think this site is supposed to be. It's not just for the long-term unemployed. It is also a source of information for a lot of us. I was a 99'er, got a sales job for 11 months, then was laid off again. I just transition to Federal EUC and am going to be screwed if this extension doesn't go through. I came back on here to look for updates and to sign petitions...also for support.
Uhhmmm, I believe that's what I said. This forum is for support and information. Being rude to someone who is having a hard time isn't cool. I don't dictate this forum. Time we start working together because we are all going over that "human cliff" very soon.
DesperateInRI
DesperateInRI
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DesperateInRI Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:47 pm

One more thing, I am a co-founder and I do think I should be able to mention what this site was set up to be almost 2 years ago.
DesperateInRI
DesperateInRI
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:50 am

I'm also confused here. You both seem to agree... and Desp didn't dictate anything. But I can say for sure that if you need to know UI facts, she is here to help.

And she's the only active admin left here. Let's please support her and the site she helped found and supports throughout the days.

macky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum