Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
new here EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
new here EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
new here EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
new here EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
new here EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
new here EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
new here EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
new here EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
new here EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
new here EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
new here EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
new here EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
new here EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
new here EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
new here EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

new here

+3
JadeBlue
MaryKay
timeonmyhands45
7 posters

Go down

new here Empty new here

Post by timeonmyhands45 Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:03 pm

Hi all,
I am new to this forum. Last week (Thursday) I was laid off from my job of 7 years. Just wondering how to get over the shock of it all? I can't sleep, can't eat, upset stomach, crying..... I just don't know what to do! Any suggestions on how to get over the first few days?

timeonmyhands45

Back to top Go down

new here Empty Re: new here

Post by MaryKay Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:17 pm

timeonmyhands, so sorry you find yourself among us. It's very upsetting and unsettling. First let me welcome you to the forum. You have a home here with friends who can understand what you are going through only too well.

It's hard to offer suggestions, we are all different and handle things differently. For me, I keep as busy as I can, doing things I have put off to do when I had time, I exercise, I make sure I keep current with all national and political news and hardest of all, I try every day not to take this lack of employment personally. This economy is not your fault.

If there is something you particularly like to do, make sure you do it. Whether it's gardening, walking, working on your car, decorating, baking etc, just make sure you do it. That process is mind numbing and will take a few hours once you get through, but it's important, so please do it.

Again, welcome. When you are feeling up to it, introduce yourself, let us know where you are from, your interests and what type of work you did. Sometimes, just talking it through helps as well.

I was laid off in 2008, I am what we call a 99er, but I have been a 99er for so long that I think I can retire that name as well. It's been a struggle for all of us but please believe me, you will find friends here.

Make sure you register for unemployment immediately and get that set up so at least you have some income.

MaryKay

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:38 am

Welcome back, Worrier. Sorry to hear you lost your job. As I recall, you are from NY. Was it a part-time job?

Good to have old members of UF 1 and original members of UF2 posting again, even under these dismal circumstances. Hopefully our experience with unemployment can lend support to those who will be losing their benefits now that the phase out of EUC08 is fully underway.

Back to top Go down

Post by JadeBlue Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:40 pm

Welcome. The good news is you found this community!

I am so sorry to hear that. 7 years... I can't imagine what that is like, I have never been at a place for that long, so consider yourself lucky and skilled to keep a job for so long.

Like MaryKay said, get your unemployment set up right away, because you do not want to deal with that hassle while trying to look for work.

Take some time for yourself- relax, grieve, and keep yourself as busy as you can until you work through your feelings. It sounds like this came as a surprise to you, so it will take time before you will be feeling up to "hitting the streets." And that's okay. Talk about your feelings here or with someone you know.

In the meantime, eat light meals (fruits and veggies throughout the day to keep up your energy and settle your stomach), and do things to ease your mind before sleep, like reading. If these problems continue, please seek professional help. I mean that, it can make you very sick. I know from experience.

JadeBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by 503Depressed Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:12 pm

It's too bad that you lost your job, of 7 years. I'm back to underemployed myself, since my most recent contract was ended at the 3 month minimum!

In 2008, I was laid off from a job I had been on for almost 14 years! No matter how long they are, it always feels really bad.

Prayers go out for you.
503Depressed
503Depressed

Back to top Go down

Post by elvis44102 Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:39 pm

welcome aboard...
elvis44102
elvis44102

Back to top Go down

Post by jmainframe Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:35 am

Hi Time!

Sorry to hear about your job loss. You started your last job right before the economy collapsed, and managed to keep it right through now which is a feat in and of itself. People like you should be commended for your efforts during this depression, but instead you're rewarded by being laid off! We have quite a few returning members. This whole unemployment mess reminds me of the song "Hotel California".

Things are very different from when you landed your last job. When unemployment was at 4%, anyone who wanted to work could find work, and fairly quickly. Today you need to double and triple your efforts to land your next job. Get started right away! Also, get out that contact list. It will probably be your most important asset in your upcoming job search. Stay positive and stay busy, so you don't have time to dwell on the negative.

Finding this forum at least is a good thing and perhaps a turning point for you. The members and administrators hear are very supportive and well-informed with regards to unemployment and all things related to unemployment.

Welcome and good luck!
jmainframe
jmainframe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:01 am

Hi MaryKay,

I seem to be at the opposite end of employment. I graduated 3 yrs ago, was very lucky to start as a web designer, and just last week the company folded.

Do you have any advice for younger people trying to start their career? I think it's just as hard as older people trying to get back into a job and anywhere in between.

Thanks for your great input. I just joined this forum since I need your guidance.

Macky

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:19 pm

Hi macky, welcome to the forum.

You have been out of work for one week, correct? The best advice I can give is don't pass up any lower paying jobs. Gaps in ones resume seems to be a big issue to prospective employers. If you get an offer take it, even if you think it's beneath you or that your talents will be put to waste. You can always search for something better while your working at a less than desirable job. It may sound harsh to some but it's the truth. I know many people who thought 3 yrs ago that they would get right back to work in their chosen profession, so they passed up lower paying jobs. These are not normal times, years ago we could pick and chose, not at all like that now that's for sure!!!

Also, re evaluate your debt. If you have a mortgage you may want to consider putting your ome on the market just in case. If you have a nice car sell it and downgrade!! (if possible) get rid of unnecessary debt immediately, before you find yourself in a huge mess that you can't gt out of. Again, sounds harsh, but I sure wish someone could have gave me this advice when my husband was first laid off.

As far as job searching goes, look outside the box. Don't only apply for employment you are comfortable with. In this day and age you have to look outside your comfort zone. Constantly look for ways to improve your resume and also go back to school if you can! I know student debt sucks, but you can always benefit from an education if it's in the right field. IT is always growing as I'm sure you already know.

Some may not like my advice but it's all I got!! LOL I also speak from experience...not everyone is as naive as myself and my husband were, I hope I didn't offend anyone.

new here 550579

Back to top Go down

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:28 pm

Sick and tired is spot on. Think outside the box for sure! I was out of work for 2.5 yrs a 99 etc. I finally accepted a crap job making 60% less than previous job and much different field. That lasted only a year but the experience gained from that landed me recently a pretty good job. Decent pay etc. my career has taken a 180 but possibly for the best.
Do not limit yourself to one type of position.

Best of luck and happy hunting!
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:08 pm

Wow! Thank you so much for these great tips. I really appreciate your time and for doing this so quickly!

Yeah like many others I cannot keep my roots stuck in the mindset of what I know to date. I've just started to date a gentleman who is twice my age. I keep him young and he keeps me grounded - with the cumulative wisdom that life brings.

Let's keep learning and keep the wisdom flowing!

Thank you. macky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum