Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
I Did It!   EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
I Did It!   EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
I Did It!   EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
I Did It!   EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
I Did It!   EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
I Did It!   EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
I Did It!   EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
I Did It!   EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
I Did It!   EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
I Did It!   EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
I Did It!   EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
I Did It!   EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
I Did It!   EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
I Did It!   EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
I Did It!   EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

I Did It!

+2
chopthis91
unemployeddiva
6 posters

Go down

I Did It!   Empty I Did It!

Post by unemployeddiva Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:29 pm

It was April of 2009 when I became unemployed only after 6 months of being employed. Before that I was unemployed for a year. On 2/17 I had applied online to work at a retail store that I had worked for back in 2006. That Saturday they called me in for an interview for the following Tuesday. Let me tell you, I almost didn't go. First of all I had to take my mother to Doctor.. well just drop her off. Her appointment was at 1 and mine was at 12:30. I was aiming to leave at 11:40-50 JUST in case since I had to drop her off first. She took her sweet time getting ready because "I had 30 minutes!" Rolling Eyes So we finally left at 12:05 ish. I traveled across town to take her to her appointment. Got there at about 12:20 had to travel across town again to go to my interview in 10 minutes. We just moved here so I still don't know all the shortcuts. So I'm driving.. and guess what happens? I get pulled over. Great. I'm honestly about to burst into tears because I need this job. The Officer asks for my DL, registration, and insurance. This is my mom's car but I know she doesn't have insurance.. hell we can barely pay the rent/util. Car insurance is the last thing we are thinking about.. well it's not the last thing but right now that's a luxury. I ask the Officer if this was going to take a long time because I have an interview. She asked what time and I told her at 12:30. She glanced at me and my clothes and said I'll let you go this time.. and I was on my way. With only 2-3 minutes left to get there and me not knowing how close.. I just started to cry. I was just so close to giving up. Figured that I'm just doomed to be unemployed for the rest of my life.. I almost decided to turn around until I saw the cross street that the store was on. I got out my phone and called the store and told them that I was going to be late. I know I could have called earlier but in my years of job search, employment, and taking job-ready classes.. being late for an interview was inexcusable. I was at an interview where someone had called in saying they were going to be late, got there and were immediately turned away. Surprisingly the store manager was really friendly. In another few minutes I was there. Had the interview.. a long one LET ME TELL YOU. But at least it was mostly her talking. She also told me she had already had me written in the schedule, but had to send me on a second interview per company policy.

Thursday I had a second interview at another location which was the standard Q&A interview and after about 10 minutes (I wasn't even out of the mall).. I got the phone call! I officially start working tomorrow. It's part time but with decent hours. And to be honest I really don't care... I just needed a JOB that wasn't selling Kirby's door to door or knock off perfumes in a parking lot.. which seems to be the only job around here.

I did have to relocate. I moved from California to Colorado. I got interviews, Once or twice a month average in California. But all that doesn't matter if they choose to interview literally 20 people for one position.

Honestly, I'm really nervous to start working. It's been almost 2 years. I know I can do the job.. I've done it before. But still..

unemployeddiva

Back to top Go down

I Did It!   Empty Re: I Did It!

Post by Guest Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:32 pm

That's good news. I'm happy for you ... Very Happy Congrats.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:55 pm

unemployeddiva wrote:It was April of 2009 when I became unemployed only after 6 months of being employed. Before that I was unemployed for a year. On 2/17 I had applied online to work at a retail store that I had worked for back in 2006. That Saturday they called me in for an interview for the following Tuesday. Let me tell you, I almost didn't go. First of all I had to take my mother to Doctor.. well just drop her off. Her appointment was at 1 and mine was at 12:30. I was aiming to leave at 11:40-50 JUST in case since I had to drop her off first. She took her sweet time getting ready because "I had 30 minutes!" Rolling Eyes So we finally left at 12:05 ish. I traveled across town to take her to her appointment. Got there at about 12:20 had to travel across town again to go to my interview in 10 minutes. We just moved here so I still don't know all the shortcuts. So I'm driving.. and guess what happens? I get pulled over. Great. I'm honestly about to burst into tears because I need this job. The Officer asks for my DL, registration, and insurance. This is my mom's car but I know she doesn't have insurance.. hell we can barely pay the rent/util. Car insurance is the last thing we are thinking about.. well it's not the last thing but right now that's a luxury. I ask the Officer if this was going to take a long time because I have an interview. She asked what time and I told her at 12:30. She glanced at me and my clothes and said I'll let you go this time.. and I was on my way. With only 2-3 minutes left to get there and me not knowing how close.. I just started to cry. I was just so close to giving up. Figured that I'm just doomed to be unemployed for the rest of my life.. I almost decided to turn around until I saw the cross street that the store was on. I got out my phone and called the store and told them that I was going to be late. I know I could have called earlier but in my years of job search, employment, and taking job-ready classes.. being late for an interview was inexcusable. I was at an interview where someone had called in saying they were going to be late, got there and were immediately turned away. Surprisingly the store manager was really friendly. In another few minutes I was there. Had the interview.. a long one LET ME TELL YOU. But at least it was mostly her talking. She also told me she had already had me written in the schedule, but had to send me on a second interview per company policy.

Thursday I had a second interview at another location which was the standard Q&A interview and after about 10 minutes (I wasn't even out of the mall).. I got the phone call! I officially start working tomorrow. It's part time but with decent hours. And to be honest I really don't care... I just needed a JOB that wasn't selling Kirby's door to door or knock off perfumes in a parking lot.. which seems to be the only job around here.

I did have to relocate. I moved from California to Colorado. I got interviews, Once or twice a month average in California. But all that doesn't matter if they choose to interview literally 20 people for one position.

Honestly, I'm really nervous to start working. It's been almost 2 years. I know I can do the job.. I've done it before. But still..

I Did It!   367179 Congratulations! Please come back and let us know what it is like to join the real world again. Your success story will help many here who are at wits end and have just about given up.

It is so good to hear there is still hope for us! Good luck, our thoughts are with you! I Did It!   468390

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Congrats!! Good luck and best wishes... Happy dance

what happened to you the day of your interview is EXACTLY the type of stuff that happens to me!!! There is always something lol!! I have come to the conclusion that it is a life test of some sort.
ongoing prayers Praying

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:21 pm

I was about to apply online for a job when I discovered it was only for 6 hours every week ... talk about scrimping on the hours.

Back to top Go down

Post by chopthis91 Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:11 pm

kemcha wrote:I was about to apply online for a job when I discovered it was only for 6 hours every week ... talk about scrimping on the hours.

6 hours??? What's the point in a company posting a job like that for cryin' out loud!!??

chopthis91
chopthis91

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:13 pm

kemcha wrote:I was about to apply online for a job when I discovered it was only for 6 hours every week ... talk about scrimping on the hours.

Six hours a week, after taxes, won't even pay for your transportation to and from work! Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:46 pm

Tell me about it ... then, I live in one city, where I can only get around via the transit bus system, and some temp agencies have jobs in my city but require you to show up in another city in order to go through the interview process.

It's ridiculous.

Back to top Go down

Post by mrmarti Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:50 pm

congrats to unemployeddiva - great news
mrmarti
mrmarti

Back to top Go down

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:12 pm

Awesome news! I Did It!   132551
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org

Back to top Go down

Post by windeecity Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:10 pm

Congratulations and I know what your going through about the jitters! I start my temp job tomorrow and I am so anxious! After 3 years unemployed nothing darn fits me in my closet, I've got to go and borrow some clothes until I get paid.

Wishing you tons of luck and happiness at your new gig!

windeecity

Back to top Go down

Post by guest Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:39 pm

That is good news, congrats!

Back to top Go down

Post by unemployeddiva Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:52 pm

Thank you everyone! Smile

unemployeddiva

Back to top Go down