Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Unemployed Leadership ? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Unemployed Leadership ? EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Unemployed Leadership ? EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Unemployed Leadership ? EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Unemployed Leadership ? EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Unemployed Leadership ? EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Unemployed Leadership ? EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Unemployed Leadership ? EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Unemployed Leadership ? EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Unemployed Leadership ? EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Unemployed Leadership ? EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Unemployed Leadership ? EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Unemployed Leadership ? EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Unemployed Leadership ? EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Unemployed Leadership ? EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
April 2021
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Unemployed Leadership ?

Go down

Unemployed Leadership ? Empty Unemployed Leadership ?

Post by USA Citizen Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:37 pm

Unemployed Leadership

Do the unemployed need leaders to speak for them in Washington D.C.?
I would like to nominate several people as leaders of the unemployed.
Who do you think would do a great job representing the unemployed and underemployed?

There should be some people who represent the unemployed in talks and negotiations with the government and other groups such as unions.

There are a number of people who qualify for the position of leader of the unemployed, so perhaps we should have nominations and a ballot. This would be a paid position that people (unemployed or employed) would contribute to through such vehicles as Chipin and Paypal.

We need to do fundraising and lobbying for the unemployed.
How do you think we should proceed in getting organized?
USA Citizen
USA Citizen

Back to top Go down

Unemployed Leadership ? Empty Re: Unemployed Leadership ?

Post by lendmeflight2 Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:28 am

And how much do you think this would cost?
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:08 am

We do have a leader for the unemployed. The president of the American 99ers Union. He had been working with rep Barbara lee on hr589 an has done many tv interviews advocating for all the unemployed.

Administrator
Administrator

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:57 am

Jobless_in_Ma wrote:We do have a leader for the unemployed. The president of the American 99ers Union. He had been working with rep Barbara lee on hr589 an has done many tv interviews advocating for all the unemployed.
True, but nothing has been happening for months. One or two day email, fax or Twitter campaigns have gotten us nowhere. Our political leaders aren't stupid - they know we will go away so they can ignore these short advocacy campaigns. What we need is a strong, continuous, momentum building action plan like the ones the President called for in the debt ceiling negotiations. Have the unemployed or 99ers ever crashed the Capitol's servers? No! That is the kind of action we need. For the past few weeks there have been major campaigns on twitter that have taken off and gained support quickly - even being reported on in the national media (#fuckyouwashington and #isupportthepresident). THAT IS WHAT WE NEED! We can't take time to stop and be discouraged. All the unemployment forums have to be involved, whether we like each other or not. This is about our survival, not a popularity contest.

The time for action is NOW and if we don't act, to put it bluntly, we will be SCREWED!

Back to top Go down

Post by Judi58 Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:26 am

I think we need reps in the house... When I went back to get my degree I could not figure what to study I decided on Poly Sci.. I wanted to get intrenched in the goverment and my rights.. (and a degree will help me get back in my field)
Judi58
Judi58

Back to top Go down

Post by TR11005 Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:11 pm

Where is Mr. G? If not someone else. Seams we have fallen off the cliff since last March. There is something going on in Washington on Labor Day. Many of us have stayed isolated for various reasons. That does not mean we don't support the unemployed.

TR11005

Back to top Go down

Post by USA Citizen Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:50 pm

DesperateInRI wrote:
Jobless_in_Ma wrote:We do have a leader for the unemployed. The president of the American 99ers Union. He had been working with rep Barbara lee on hr589 an has done many tv interviews advocating for all the unemployed.
True, but nothing has been happening for months. One or two day email, fax or Twitter campaigns have gotten us nowhere. Our political leaders aren't stupid - they know we will go away so they can ignore these short advocacy campaigns. What we need is a strong, continuous, momentum building action plan like the ones the President called for in the debt ceiling negotiations. Have the unemployed or 99ers ever crashed the Capitol's servers? No! That is the kind of action we need. For the past few weeks there have been major campaigns on twitter that have taken off and gained support quickly - even being reported on in the national media (#fuckyouwashington and #isupportthepresident). THAT IS WHAT WE NEED! We can't take time to stop and be discouraged. All the unemployment forums have to be involved, whether we like each other or not. This is about our survival, not a popularity contest.

The time for action is NOW and if we don't act, to put it bluntly, we will be SCREWED!

If we can organize fundraising efforts such as benefit concerts, etc., there may be money to help pay people such as Gregg Rosen, Connie Kaplan, Kelly Wiedemer, Bud Meyers, and others who have done so much to advocate for the unemployed.

How much would it cost to start and maintain an organization for the unemployed, underemployed and the overworked and underpaid? This would be a voluntary contribution that the unemployed could contribute to as well as those who are employed and want to help the unemployed. We need people who will be responsible and go to Congress to advocate for the unemployed as lobbyists. They need to be paid. They need support from the unemployed. If we show our leaders that we support them, then they may soon be able to get celebrities to put on fund-raisers and concerts.

I support Connie Kaplan as a leader for advocating the cause of the unemployed in the New York, Washington D.C. area. Others are located in different places, but can do their part and serve as regional leaders. Let's keep this discussion going!

Here is some of Connie's recent thoughts.
Watch these videos from Keith Olbermann's show.
It's not just the unemployed who are riled up.
Please post your feedback.

http://current.com/shows/countdown/videos/special-comment-the-four-great-hypocrisies-of-the-debt-deal

http://current.com/shows/countdown/videos/al-gore-on-why-washington-is-broken

From Connie Kaplan:
"What will it take for Americans to take action and leave apathy behind?

As a 99er Activist, NYC, I can't just sit back and watch. I am not looking for the glory in leading a movement, rather request a defined action and united plan to implement national awareness; be it a fund-raising concert, and/or aggressive attempts to get a celebrity to sponsor us (Arianna Huffiington), (Michael Moore), (Oprah) (Bruce Springsteen), (Keith Olberman) (Van Jones) (Warren Buffet) (Ali Veshi) (CNN Espanol).

When I say "us", I'm referring to 99ers, long-term unemployed and our supporters. Yes, even a "Reality Show" proposal so America can see what we are going through.

If we unite around the concept that 6 million of us must band together (leave behind our gripes as to who represents us), we can create a real movement of action. And no, not wait for elections - We are a force to be dealt with. Surely one of us has a connection to someone famous to contact.

I am willing to serve as a catalyst and/or point of contact-
We need money, we need jobs, but right now we need to ACT!
I can't do this alone but I'm reaching out to each and every one of you."
Thank you,
Connie Kaplan
USA Citizen
USA Citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:34 pm

As someone pointed out to me on twitter recently, there are more 99ers and unemployed than there are in the Teaparty and Moveon COMBINED!! If we could just get organized we could most definitely make an impact.

I think we need to get a few of the big wigs on our side to start, someone like warren buffett or bill gates, for expample. A PAC would help tremendously. Ive had several convos. with people on twitter that are willing to help but are just waiting for us to lead the way.

I have no clue how to get started. if I had the funds I would be knocking on congresses door with bells on!!

I think we need a big twitter event to start. Like desp. said, there have been a few successful twitter campaigns that caught on and made national news.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum