Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Just venting...... EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Just venting...... EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Just venting...... EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Just venting...... EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Just venting...... EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Just venting...... EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Just venting...... EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Just venting...... EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Just venting...... EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Just venting...... EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Just venting...... EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Just venting...... EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Just venting...... EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Just venting...... EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Just venting...... EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Just venting......

3 posters

Go down

Just venting...... Empty Just venting......

Post by LeannaAndPerry Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:15 pm

Hubby and I had a conversation over the past weekend and I was just feeling very irritated at the moment.

He knows everything that's been going on. He knows. He was one that was affected by a mass layoff not once but three times. Only two shipped over seas. The very last one just closed permanently. Companies going overseas etc.... He knows. But I asked him one question..... If you owned a company of any size that employed many workers and you realized that you would benefit greatly by moving your company overseas, would you do it? He pondered that question over dinner. I didn't repeat it. I wanted to know his thoughts on this very question because even though he was affected twice by the companies he worked for going over seas... He never got upset, took it with a grain of salt and never much commented on much of anything.

So, later in that evening he said here is my take on things.... (we've seen this many times while travelling) American made products are so very expensive. And to employ us Americans we have a very hard time accepting anything less than $10.00 per hour and expect far more. We also expect vacation time, sick leave, personal leave and medical insurance. He said that is a huge impact on companies that also pay better than minimum wage. So, he said with that in mind and not even mentioning the other that goes along with it like the taxing etc... including the Futa tax.... He said Yes, he would move it overseas. The way the Government is operating now there would be no reason to stay here.

He also said that the company he worked for that first closed it's doors to move overseas was Bankruptcy bound had they not left. He was good friends with one up the higher up's and had first hand knowledge the company was moving long before anyone else got notice. Yes, that gave my husband the upper hand at finding a job a lot quicker than others. But it eventually closed to, to move overseas. He was heartbroken but said he fully understood.

I don't agree with his way of thinking and we are not "Two peas in a pod" like my family thinks. And his. We have major debates over everything thats going on almost weekly. Mostly all I talking about during these debates is what I hear on TV on this site. But he is always well it's whatever is best to keep the business afloat.

I told him how could you (if you owned a co. ) let your american workers down to benefit yourself. He said it's not exactly like that. He said... it's either let them down ... keep the business flowing by moving... or shut the plant down entirely as in the case of the third company he was employed with.

He makes me so mad!

LeannaAndPerry
Banned
Banned

Back to top Go down

Just venting...... Empty Re: Just venting......

Post by Guest Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:35 pm

Certainly sounds like your husband needs to be educated on what is happening in Corporate America! Here are some topics to share with him. I can provide many more.

I am wondering if he has worked out any kind of budget or suggestions for American families on how to survive on $10 and hour jobs. If so, please share! That may help families from being split up in homeless shelters or from living in their cars or in tents.

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org/t1803-i-just-paid-more-taxes-than-most-of-corporate-america

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org/t1831-living-wage-policies-and-big-box-retail

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org/t1669-the-drought-is-over-at-least-for-ceos

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org/t1308-corporate-profits-at-all-time-high-as-recovery-stumbles

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:54 pm

Here is another article you may want to share:

http://www.contracostatimes.com/rss/ci_17885973?source=rss&nclick_check=1

Really waiting for a response to how a family (or even an individual) is supposed to survive in America today on a paycheck of $400 BEFORE TAXES! Of course, that is based on working a 40 hour week and full-time positions are much harder to find these days than part-time.

Back to top Go down

Post by LeannaAndPerry Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:55 pm

He's listen to me read all these articles. I've read everything here. To him. Or basically filled him in. As this all concerns us both. Or really concerns me. I just wanted someone else to talk to besides him. I have nobody here to talk to at home. Not even relatives. Just him. And his opinions are rather small. IMHO.

I do buy american made wherever we go. or I try. Yes they are more expensive. And sometimes he gripes even if only just rolling his eyes. But he knows how I feel. And deep down I think he is feeling this way too. He just can't fix it. So I think he is to the point where..... If you can't beat em, join em. And I refuse.

LeannaAndPerry
Banned
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by LeannaAndPerry Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:03 pm

Oh gosh, I am not showing him that last article.... haha. Warren Buffet gave the "Thumbs Up" to shut the last plant down entirely that my hubby worked for. No nothing of an advance notice either. Not much of one. Like our County gave a massive tax break to them to try and get them to stay, they had 30 days to decide. And on day 30 the lawyers were there to sign the papers and the company handed out pink slips and the next day the gates were locked. And it was in the flier that Warren Buffet had said the plant my hubby worked at was being carried by the other plants. ffs. Anyway, he is not happy with Warren Buffet since the Plant Manager said Warren could pay each employee with what he considered chump change, but instead wanted to close the plant to eliminate unneeded waste or excess being put into large containers just waiting to be bought but no one was buying....

He just can't stand WB. lol

LeannaAndPerry
Banned
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:38 pm

The cost of living does not match with minimum wage or 10 an hour. If things werent so darn expensive, we wouldnt mind less pay. NO FAMILY can live on 10 bucks an hour in America.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:39 pm

I am sorry you and your hubby are butting heads about this. It must make things much more stressful.

Back to top Go down

Post by LeannaAndPerry Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:46 pm

Yeah, a little but I like a good debate. I am very very good at debating.

LeannaAndPerry
Banned
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:48 pm

LeannaAndPerry wrote:Yeah, a little but I like a good debate. I am very very good at debating.

That's good! Looks like you have your work cut out for you there! Good luck!

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:51 pm

It is sort of a fallacy that American made goods are so expensive that they couldn't be made here. I have heard several overseas manufacturers say that if the cost of wages in China increased in anyway that it would be just as cheap over all to make goods here. New Balance shoes are made here in the United States and they are the same price or cheaper than any other name brand shoe.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:54 pm

As long as China keeps manipulating its currency and policies aren't in place to protect American jobs this is only going to escalate.

I remember certain amendments to HR4213 that would help to solve this issue, but I also remember them getting removed from the bill last minute in order to get Senate republicans to pass it.
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:02 pm

Jobless_in_Ma wrote:As long as China keeps manipulating its currency and policies aren't in place to protect American jobs this is only going to escalate.

I remember certain amendments to HR4213 that would help to solve this issue, but I also remember them getting removed from the bill last minute in order to get Senate republicans to pass it.

4213 contained hiring incentives for employers who hired the long term unemployed. As well as a fixed tax deduction, there was also an employer tax exemption on Social Security for one year. The employer would have benefited greatly.

There is currently nothing at all in place to give employers any reason to hire the unemployed who were hurt the most by the "great recession" that everyone keeps saying is over. From where I stand, things look worse to me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down