Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Today is the "Big Day" - McDonald's National Hiring Day" - 50,000 Jobs!! EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Today is the "Big Day" - McDonald's National Hiring Day" - 50,000 Jobs!! EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Today is the "Big Day" - McDonald's National Hiring Day" - 50,000 Jobs!! EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Today is the "Big Day" - McDonald's National Hiring Day" - 50,000 Jobs!! EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Today is the "Big Day" - McDonald's National Hiring Day" - 50,000 Jobs!! EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Today is the "Big Day" - McDonald's National Hiring Day" - 50,000 Jobs!! EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Today is the "Big Day" - McDonald's National Hiring Day" - 50,000 Jobs!! EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Today is the "Big Day" - McDonald's National Hiring Day" - 50,000 Jobs!! EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Today is the "Big Day" - McDonald's National Hiring Day" - 50,000 Jobs!! EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Today is the "Big Day" - McDonald's National Hiring Day" - 50,000 Jobs!! EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Today is the "Big Day" - McDonald's National Hiring Day" - 50,000 Jobs!! EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Today is the "Big Day" - McDonald's National Hiring Day" - 50,000 Jobs!! EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Today is the "Big Day" - McDonald's National Hiring Day" - 50,000 Jobs!! EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Today is the "Big Day" - McDonald's National Hiring Day" - 50,000 Jobs!! EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Today is the "Big Day" - McDonald's National Hiring Day" - 50,000 Jobs!! EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Today is the "Big Day" - McDonald's National Hiring Day" - 50,000 Jobs!!

+10
gettheminNOVEMBER
Springflowers
Jobless_in_Ma
New_Wave_Princess
troycomic
lendmeflight2
MoInSTL
Arania
americatheneedy
cablab
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Today is the "Big Day" - McDonald's National Hiring Day" - 50,000 Jobs!! Empty Today is the "Big Day" - McDonald's National Hiring Day" - 50,000 Jobs!!

Post by Guest Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:26 am

April 19 is National Hiring Day.

McDonald’s and its franchisees are looking to hire up to 50,000 new employees. Do you have what it takes? Apply at your local McDonald’s today, or through the Restaurant Opportunities link below.

http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/careers.html

Back to top Go down

Today is the "Big Day" - McDonald's National Hiring Day" - 50,000 Jobs!! Empty Re: Today is the "Big Day" - McDonald's National Hiring Day" - 50,000 Jobs!!

Post by cablab Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:06 am

GIVE ME A BREAK...
cablab
cablab

Back to top Go down

Today is the "Big Day" - McDonald's National Hiring Day" - 50,000 Jobs!! Empty Re: Today is the "Big Day" - McDonald's National Hiring Day" - 50,000 Jobs!!

Post by Guest Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:14 am

Oh goody! I have 2 within 2 miles of my house...lets see how true this is! I have a feeling its bull.

I have a relative that is a manager at Mcdonalds and he says there is a hiring freeze. He said they dont say that to the public though. They still advertise for help wanted but never hire.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:17 am

cablab wrote:GIVE ME A BREAK...

Did you see the first page of the application link? You have to input the month and day you were born and the last 4 digits of your SSN. Sneaky, sneaky screening process for an $8 an hour job. There is an awful lot of information they can gather just based on those two points. Just my opinion, but what they are looking for are high school, college and "mother's shift" workers. Forget it if you are over 30. Also, I'm sure once you submit your application, you will start receiving a lot more spam in you email and solicitation telephone calls.

I doubt any of these jobs are considered "full-time" and eligible for benefits. Evil or Very Mad

There are two McDonald's locations within 20 minutes of where I live. I am going apply and wait for the non-existent 'call back'.

Back to top Go down

Post by americatheneedy Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:35 am

I can't believe it's gotten to the point when people with the education and experience that many on this site have can't get a job at McDonalds!!! Or would even be so desperate that they even apply. Not to put down anyone for trying-a job is a job-but where is the reward for the years of experience etc. And then not only will they not hire you because you're too old or over-qualified, but they lie about it in the media!!
americatheneedy
americatheneedy

Back to top Go down

Post by Arania Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:10 pm

What I'm having trouble dealing with is

(1) that I'm desperate enough to consider this, despite never eating fast food and knowing it's just a scam; and

(2) there are plenty of people who will call me lazy and uppity for not applying. "A job is a job; are you saying you're 'too good' for this kind of work?' "

What I'm saying is: I'm in my 40s, I have a college degree and a white-collar professional background, and to be blunt, I have applied for fast-food jobs and never called back because of the age and overqualification issues.

Arania

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:14 pm

Same here, Arania! I have applied for many part-time service positions. I have never received a call from any. Over-qualified, too old and no experience (except maybe going back about 40 years when I was in high school).

perturd

Back to top Go down

Post by Arania Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:21 pm

DesperateInRI wrote:no experience (except maybe going back about 40 years when I was in high school).

At least you have that! Smile I've been fortunate enough that all my jobs - even high school jobs - have not been in service industries. No waiting tables, no fast-food. My job in high school was shelving books in a library. My college job was in a bookstore. That was oh, about 30 years ago, and the first place all "hipster boho intellectuals" try to get a job these days is in bookstores -- which I remind you are closing at an increasing speed as online ebook sales are overtaking sales of paperbacks.

Arania

Back to top Go down

Post by MoInSTL Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:25 pm

Sick & Tired wrote:Oh goody! I have 2 within 2 miles of my house...lets see how true this is! I have a feeling its bull.

I have a relative that is a manager at Mcdonalds and he says there is a hiring freeze. He said they dont say that to the public though. They still advertise for help wanted but never hire.

There is a lot of that going around. Companies post non-existent jobs to keep up the appearance of growth.
MoInSTL
MoInSTL

Back to top Go down

Post by Arania Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:27 pm

MoInSTL wrote:
Sick & Tired wrote:Oh goody! I have 2 within 2 miles of my house...lets see how true this is! I have a feeling its bull.

There is a lot of that going around. Companies post non-existent jobs to keep up the appearance of growth.

That's happening a lot in temp/perm employment agencies too. I don't really understand why, but they like to sign up job-seekers even when there are no jobs available.

Arania

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:28 pm

This is the problem that most of us have. Everybody loves to say "just get a job at mcdonald's" but they won't hire most of because we are overqualified. We are not the kind of people that they want. Last night on the local news here they had a big announcement that "tomorrow is the day" a new company would be bringing hundreds of jobs to the local area. When they did the story it was Mcdonald's. This DOES NOT solve our problems.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by troycomic Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:54 pm

They start at $8.30 on the books.
Only 4 jobs per location so the bigger places get more of the jobs.

Most jobs are entry level, very few manager or ast. Mngr

Most of us are over qualified cause they know it is just a temp job for us and will leave at the first $8.50 hr job that comes our way

AND WOW !!!!! WHAT A WAY TO GET THOUSANDS OF 99ERS IN THE RESTAURANT.

HEY, I MIGHT AS WELL GET A BIG MAC MEAL WHILE I'M HERE!
NOW THAT IS MCDONALD MARKETING AT IT'S BEST.
troycomic
troycomic

Back to top Go down

Post by New_Wave_Princess Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:58 pm

I worked at McDonalds in college over 20 years ago and recently applied again. I got rejected which didn't surprise me. Yet when I tell people this they say I must be lazy not taking a job like this. No, I wouldn't be happy taking a job as a cashier because I hated it years ago and would hate it now. Besides, they don't hire overqualified, they never have for these jobs. Yet the spin on the news was that all these professionals were going in to apply for management positions. What is rarely mentioned is that in most cases you have to work your way up to management, which means flipping burgers or cashier for months, even years at minimum wage.

Maybe it's where I live but the spin was that the corporate McDonalds was hiring too. Their headquarters is an hour from me and I've sent them resumes often. Never got a call back.

New_Wave_Princess

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:04 pm

Gary Phareuf, 55, of Staten Island submitted his application after being laid off from a messenger position nearly two years ago. A 1978 graduate of Cornell University, Phareuf said he fell on tough times later in life and now is looking for any job he can get.

Early in the day, reporters and camera crews there outnumbered applicants nearly 5 to 1. McDonald's also brought on extra public relations staff to greet media at various locations throughout the city.

That said, it's not about the publicity, McDonald's spokespeople stressed. The chain has a genuine need for 50,000 new workers, said Danitra Barnett, vice president of human resources for McDonald's USA. "This isn't just a promotion," she said.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/04/19/news/companies/mcdonalds_jobs_hiring/index.htm

They bring in public relations people and camera crews and it's not about promotion? Evil or Very Mad How about humiliating the countless of overqualified, former middle-class that used to earn 10X that amount? Maybe they are hoping not many will show up so they can say we don't want to work!
no

Back to top Go down

Post by troycomic Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:05 pm

THIS IS JUST A WAY TO GET YOU TO THE RESTAURANT TO BUY A BIG MAC MEAL!!!!!
troycomic
troycomic

Back to top Go down

Post by troycomic Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:08 pm

PLUS I WILL NOT APPLY JUST ON THE PRINCIPAL THAT THEY MAKE THEIR FOOD ADDICTIVE. IT IS THE WORST FOOD YOU CAN EAT. SELLING MCDONALD'S FOOD IS LIKE SELLING CIGARETS.

I do indulge in Mceedee's sometimes but I can't sell it to kids
troycomic
troycomic

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:15 pm

troycomic wrote:THIS IS JUST A WAY TO GET YOU TO THE RESTAURANT TO BUY A BIG MAC MEAL!!!!!

Then they better be giving their crap out for free cause we ain't got no money to buy it! Mickey D's is more expensive now than a half decent joint for food.

Back to top Go down

Post by New_Wave_Princess Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:15 pm

Oh and another thing, on the news piece it stated "many of these jobs are offering insurance". I call bs on this because when I worked there they had a tendency to hire people to work 39.5 hours so that they didn't have to pay insurance. If by chance you worked 40 hours one week the next you were scheduled for 35 hours.

New_Wave_Princess

Back to top Go down

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:18 pm

Even if they would offer insurance, it would eat up your whole paycheck Im sure, and the plan would be a lousy one..
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org

Back to top Go down

Post by troycomic Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:19 pm

Just another American Scam
troycomic
troycomic

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:37 pm

Jobless_in_Ma wrote:Even if they would offer insurance, it would eat up your whole paycheck Im sure, and the plan would be a lousy one..

None of these jobs, except the management positions, are going to promise anyone over 20 hours a week. Sure, you may pick up hours covering a shift or two, but even then you will never be eligible for benefits.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:58 pm

So true, no benefits at Micky D's. This is another large employer that Obama's people have already exempted from the new heathcare law, they won't have to provide benefits, the reason they use is due to the fact that they claim most all employees are only part-time and without enough hours to earn any benefits. Do these idiots think we don't know how to read the news for c sake.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:13 pm

disgustedwithgovt wrote:So true, no benefits at Micky D's. This is another large employer that Obama's people have already exempted from the new heathcare law, they won't have to provide benefits, the reason they use is due to the fact that they claim most all employees are only part-time and without enough hours to earn any benefits. Do these idiots think we don't know how to read the news for c sake.

This has nothing to do with the President's Health Care Reform! Long before HCR companies tried to find ways of getting out of providing benefits. The cost is prohibitive. They would hire just below the minimum amount of hours their company's policy stated benefits were provided at. That is one of the reasons that the new HCR was enacted last year.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:21 pm

Well, I wonder why they would even bother to apply for the exemption since they never intended to provide any in the first place. They must have been scared that they might actually have to at some point.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:27 pm

OK folks, back on topic. Lets not let this turn into a HCR debate.
TY
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next