Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
honestly how are we gonna survive? - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
honestly how are we gonna survive? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
honestly how are we gonna survive? - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
honestly how are we gonna survive? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
honestly how are we gonna survive? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
honestly how are we gonna survive? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
honestly how are we gonna survive? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
honestly how are we gonna survive? - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
honestly how are we gonna survive? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
honestly how are we gonna survive? - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
honestly how are we gonna survive? - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
honestly how are we gonna survive? - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
honestly how are we gonna survive? - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
honestly how are we gonna survive? - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
honestly how are we gonna survive? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

honestly how are we gonna survive?

+8
StressedOutMax
lendmeflight2
Jobless_in_Ma
jmainframe
Springflowers
americatheneedy
delko
cablab
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

honestly how are we gonna survive? - Page 2 Empty honestly how are we gonna survive?

Post by cablab Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:52 am

cablab
cablab

Back to top Go down

honestly how are we gonna survive? - Page 2 Empty Re: honestly how are we gonna survive?

Post by Arania Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:02 pm

To all the people who are suggesting we move from the cities to someplace with land: what about those who can't afford to move?

Edited to add: and I have no place to move to.

Last edited by Arania on Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added a thought)

Arania

Back to top Go down

honestly how are we gonna survive? - Page 2 Empty Re: honestly how are we gonna survive?

Post by Guest Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:05 pm

Arania wrote:To all the people who are suggesting we move from the cities to someplace with land: what about those who can't afford to move?

I agree! I have had members of the forum tell me I should move out of RI because of the high employment rate. How? Where do I go? With what? My family is here and that is all I have left!

Back to top Go down

Post by Arania Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:17 pm

DesperateInRI wrote:I agree! I have had members of the forum tell me I should move out of RI because of the high employment rate. How? Where do I go? With what? My family is here and that is all I have left!

Yes. This. My mother is 80 years old and lives in an older-adults community thousands of miles away in Florida; she doesn't have a basement for me to move into. Heh. Plus, she's been paying my rent for the past year, and she's on a fixed income and I feel disgusted with myself because at this point in my life I should be supporting her instead of chipping away at her retirement savings.

And check this out: I have a boyfriend, but I can't move in with him because he's still living with his ex. They can't afford to sell their house (and neither of them wants to give up the house to the other) so they're living like roommates. Boyfriend has already "lent" me a couple of thousand dollars when I moved to a cheaper apartment; the idea of being financially dependent on a boyfriend is any woman's nightmare because of the inherent power imbalance. Boyfriend is amazing and wouldn't take advantage of it... but it leaves me disgusted by myself for worrying about what might change in the future.

Arania

Back to top Go down

Post by MoInSTL Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:45 pm

StressedOutMax wrote:Thank you all so much for your kind words! It has made me feel better. @cablab .... omg, the water pump went on our vehicle over the weekend! Now it has to sit in the driveway for 2 weeks until I have enough money to get it fixed. Lose-Lose situation. Cant fix the car cuz of no job, but can't look for a job or take interviews cuz there's no car .... round and round I go ... sigh

I had an old paneled Chevy van in my early 20's and used to go to junk yards for parts. May be worth a call to your local salvage yard to see how much it could save.
MoInSTL
MoInSTL

Back to top Go down

Post by DD Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:02 pm

I can definitely sympathize with each and every one of you. I am "underemployed" right now, have been for almost two years....work two jobs but can't even achieve 40 hours in one week EVER! I am thankful to be "partially" employed, but have been looking hot and heavy for FT employment for the last year and a half.
Some days are hard though, I try to stay busy on my days off and when I go to job fairs, it really helps to know that I am not alone.
In some ways, I am almost thankful for this experience, as it has helped me to open my mind and keep a positive attitude.
When I was laid off for supposedly two weeks back in 2009, it has now turned into a two year ordeal. I feel there is no place for me at my first employer anymore, so that is another factor in my job hunt. I thought I would eventually run the office & looked forward to it, but now, I just really want to be somewhere else. Between the constant short work weeks, layoffs, etc., I feel like this mess is "messing with my head". Anyone ever feel that way?
Take care everyone, I am praying for all of us to find gainful employment where we can fully utilize our talents...thanks for all the input from everyone!

DD

Back to top Go down

Post by Springflowers Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:29 pm

Arania wrote:To all the people who are suggesting we move from the cities to someplace with land: what about those who can't afford to move?

Edited to add: and I have no place to move to.

I can't afford to move, wish I could afford place with land, to grow some food. I fear not being able to afford groceries one day.

Springflowers

Back to top Go down

Post by Springflowers Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:49 pm

DesperateInRI wrote:

I agree! I have had members of the forum tell me I should move out of RI because of the high employment rate. How? Where do I go? With what? My family is here and that is all I have left!

Stay with your family, you can turn to each other for help. Wish my family was still together.

Springflowers

Back to top Go down

Post by americatheneedy Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:56 pm

I am the one that suggested that and I know for some it is impossible, I don't mean to be clueless like these people always tellin us to "just get a job" It is just what I am able to do and maybe some others on her as well. I couldn't move either if I needed to
americatheneedy
americatheneedy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:36 pm

americatheneedy wrote:I am the one that suggested that and I know for some it is impossible, I don't mean to be clueless like these people always tellin us to "just get a job" It is just what I am able to do and maybe some others on her as well. I couldn't move either if I needed to

I wasn't speaking about you. Sorry if you took it that way. There was another member who asked me in every thread why I stayed here in RI. I understand what you meant. Had I known 3 years ago what I know now, I would have tried to relocate to another area. Unfortunately, 3 years ago was the worst time for job losses and no matter where I went, there would have been nothing. Now I am basically stuck.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2