Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
1977....... - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
1977....... - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
1977....... - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
1977....... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
1977....... - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
1977....... - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
1977....... - Page 2 EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
1977....... - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
1977....... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
1977....... - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
1977....... - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
1977....... - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
1977....... - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
1977....... - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
1977....... - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

+9
lendmeflight2
Falcon7
nfpexec
troycomic
RookieCAF
503Depressed
mistermunster
Jobless_in_Ma
gettheminNOVEMBER
13 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

1977....... - Page 2 Empty 1977.......

Post by Guest Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:31 pm

First topic message reminder :

I was 10 years old then.

Star Wars first came out, Everything was good... My Real family was alive.

Christmas was a event, I was happy.

The music was good, TV was good, People were different (they cared about each other).... Times really have changed SUX!!!

Technology has changed, now I can listen to my music on my computer instead of records or tapes...OR have my whole Movie collection on my computer also.

To me that is the ONLY good thing about these times, really nothing else is good.

What is your fond memories of 1977?

Back to top Go down

1977....... - Page 2 Empty Re: 1977.......

Post by Guest Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:41 pm

LOL I loved it! I played pac man and asteroids and donkey kong.

Another thing from the past that I think we should bring back is more Arcades. Now a days, it seems everything that used to help keep kids out of trouble has been taken away. Crying or Very sad

When I was around 10 I remember there was always something to do. We had FREE after school activities like kick ball, basketball, etc...Now it costs an arm and a leg for kids to do this stuff.

We also had school dances every friday night to raise money for the schools. I think it was like 2 bucks to get in back then? Now, there is maybe 1 or 2 dances all year and it costs 10-20 bucks!

Back to top Go down

Post by Falcon7 Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:44 pm

My hair was thick and brown and I was employed full time, making about $4.25 per hour. Oh yea, about 40 lbs less of me back then.

Falcon7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:46 pm

I also remember if you couldn't or didn't want to go to college, there were full time jobs w/benefits that you get easily(up until early 2000)...If you needed extra money there was always a part time job (they were a dime a dozen) one could get with little trouble. No 10 page applications like now!! just walk in, fill out the app., talk to the manager and get hired on the spot.
As you all know it is nothing like that now!!

I have been pining over the "good ole days" quite a bit lately.
1977....... - Page 2 806957

Back to top Go down

Post by mistermunster Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:48 pm

disco, bell bottoms, rollerskates, Izod and Le Tigre shirts plus BIG poofy fros. affraid Razz
mistermunster
mistermunster

Back to top Go down

Post by mistermunster Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:51 pm

Sick & Tired wrote:I also remember if you couldn't or didn't want to go to college, there were full time jobs w/benefits that you get easily(up until early 2000)...If you needed extra money there was always a part time job (they were a dime a dozen) one could get with little trouble. No 10 page applications like now!! just walk in, fill out the app., talk to the manager and get hired on the spot.
As you all know it is nothing like that now!!

I have been pining over the "good ole days" quite a bit lately.
1977....... - Page 2 806957

I know, Thats how I got most of my early jobs. The corporate man and his satanic RULE book of business has done away with all that Mad
Whats SAD is there are A LOT so sorry ass people that still think the OLD ways of job hunting still work. They are nothing but fairy tales and myths now.
mistermunster
mistermunster

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:31 pm

I will jump into this forum uninvited.
1977... I was three and here is where I have my first memories. I clearly remember things from 1977 but nothing before. The years between 1977 and 1981 impacted my life so much that I still feel it today. what do I remember from that time. I remember my older cousins (10-12 years older) playing KISS records for me. I remember the muppet show and Battlestar Galactica being in Television. Star Wars, of course, changed my life but I don't think I saw until 1978 when it was released again. I know I saw it before the stars wars holiday special which was only shown once in November of 78. I can remember getting starwars figures for my 4th birthday. I can remember which ones they were, what the packaging looked like, and where exactly I was sitting on the couch in my grandmother's house. I still have the toys to this day and the same couch is there. My grandmother isn't unfortunately.

I remember wanting to eat lifesavers but my mom wouldn't let me have them because she said I would get choked. Finally she gave in and gave them to me and I got choked on them. It's funnier now than it was then. I guess she does know a thing or two after all.

I remember Reagan winning in 1979 and the Iran hostage crisis. Talking to my dad about this throughout the Reagan years is what made me political and made me a liberal. My dad was always talking about worker's rights. Weird that he was never in a union. There weren't any in the south really then I guess.
I remember KISS coming to the local civic center in 78 and wanting to go but my parents wouldn't let my cousins take me. I remember other adults telling me that KISS was "devil music" which made me like them more. I remember the Eval Kneival stunt cycle and mego action figures.

In my adult life I started a new collection of 70's toys. I have a working Eval knieval stunt cycle and a few other things. obviously that went on hold when I lost my job. I know I'm a nerd about this sort of thing but they bring back good memories which are sorely need these days and I don't care what anyone else thinks anyway.

I still love KISS (and Sabbath and Blue Oyster Cult) and I play my Vinyl and go back to a time when I was happier
I actually feel more youthful than I ever have. Over the last year and a half a lot of what I thought about the world has gone away. I don't have those same "work hard and rise through the company" kind of thoughts. I want to enjoy what life I have left before it's gone and I will never, ever let another company trap my soul in a box just so they can $hit can me when they want to hire someone at minimum wage.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:41 pm

awesome post Lendme, and why do you think you were uninvited? All members are invited to topics!

Thanks for sharing that awesome story!
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org

Back to top Go down

Post by anyoldname Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:54 pm

Dang! You people make me feel old! Just turned 50 last month, so I'm really hurting now Wink

1977 - I was sweet (???) 16 and learning to drive. In those days you could take the test the day the learner's permit arrived. I think my Dad made me wait a whole month. Then, I got my grandfather's old '69 Chevy Impala station wagon. Thought I was queen of the road.

Gas was almost 50 cents, Jimmy Carter had just been elected President and was talking about "malaise". His brother, Billy, was always in the headlines - the Charlie Sheen of his day. (We were scandalized alot easier in those days)

Everybody wore clogs - the kind with wooden soles. And, "Candies" sandals also wood! The girls all wanted Farrah hair and the boys had her poster on their walls.

The economy was in the tank then too. Not as bad as now, but pretty bad. Reagan got elected in 1980 on the economy which Carter got blamed for.

Though, I guess if you were a little tyke, it was much better. The innocence of childhood....

anyoldname

Back to top Go down

Post by mistermunster Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:58 pm

anyoldname wrote:Dang! You people make me feel old! Just turned 50 last month, so I'm really hurting now Wink

1977 - I was sweet (???) 16 and learning to drive. In those days you could take the test the day the learner's permit arrived. I think my Dad made me wait a whole month. Then, I got my grandfather's old '69 Chevy Impala station wagon. Thought I was queen of the road.

Gas was almost 50 cents, Jimmy Carter had just been elected President and was talking about "malaise". His brother, Billy, was always in the headlines - the Charlie Sheen of his day. (We were scandalized alot easier in those days)

Everybody wore clogs - the kind with wooden soles. And, "Candies" sandals also wood! The girls all wanted Farrah hair and the boys had her poster on their walls.

The economy was in the tank then too. Not as bad as now, but pretty bad. Reagan got elected in 1980 on the economy which Carter got blamed for.

Though, I guess if you were a little tyke, it was much better. The innocence of childhood....

Yeah it was our parents and grandparents problems then, NOW it's ours and we got a bigger BUM deal than they did. At least our nation still had some industry to pull us out. NOW we got squat.
mistermunster
mistermunster

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:31 am

And at least it had good music.

I am wondering if the next decade will be another Reagan type era or something new. When I see Tim Pawlenty I see another Reagan and no I don't mean that as a good thing. He even sort of looks like Reagan. Carter received more of a bum wrap than he deserved for his presidency. As I read about it and look back now he definitely seem like the worst. Bush 2 kind of raised the bar on worst though. Plus all that dirty dealing Reagan did with the Iran hostage crisis makes him look even worse.

Another memory I have from that time is my mom's car. She drove a 71 buick skylark with a 350 on it. I wish I had that car now. It was pure Detroit steel, a true American muscle car. I was talking to my dad about that the other day, he said he tried to talk her out of trading it in. I remember she got a mini-van. Sad day
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by anyoldname Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:52 am

lendmeflight2 wrote:And at least it had good music.

1977 was the year of Saturday Night Fever. Never a big fan of the BeeGees. At least the white polyester suit replaced the polyester leisure suits Smile

lendmeflight2 wrote:I am wondering if the next decade will be another Reagan type era or something new.

I'm actually nostalgic for that! Though the early 80's unemployment was really high. I graduated from college in 1983, most of us could not find jobs for a long time - took whatever we could get.

lendmeflight2 wrote:Another memory I have from that time is my mom's car. She drove a 71 buick skylark with a 350 on it. I wish I had that car now. It was pure Detroit steel, a true American muscle car. I was talking to my dad about that the other day, he said he tried to talk her out of trading it in. I remember she got a mini-van. Sad day

Probably got about 6 mpg? Those cars were built solid though. My parents felt I was safer in that than the original VW Bug my uncle wanted to sell them for $500. I had the 354 (or something) engine. May have been a SW, but I could blow the doors off most post-oil embargo imports. Very Happy

anyoldname

Back to top Go down

Post by mistermunster Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:55 am

ELEVATOR SHOES ANYBODY???? Razz
mistermunster
mistermunster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:02 am

anyoldname wrote:Dang! You people make me feel old! Just turned 50 last month, so I'm really hurting now Wink

I voted for Carter in '76! And I remember "Billy Beer"! After all the negotiating Carter did to release the hostages in Iran, the Ayotolla released them on the day Reagan was inaugurated. It was a big slap in the face for Carter.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:07 am

mistermunster wrote:ELEVATOR SHOES ANYBODY???? Razz

LMAO I had tons of them. So did my husband. Today, I'd kill myself wearing something like that. I can't stand any heel at all and try to get away with wearing sandals as long as I can.

Remember polyester leisure suits? lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by rainer123 Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:20 am

I really liked Star Wars but my favorite movie that year was Close Encounters of a Third Kind

rainer123

Back to top Go down

Post by mistermunster Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:35 am

rainer123 wrote:I really liked Star Wars but my favorite movie that year was Close Encounters of a Third Kind

That movie still bores the hell out of me.
mistermunster
mistermunster

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:00 am

close encounters is a different kind of movie. it's really slow and i guess it's supposed to be what a real alien encounter would be like, the way that they thought of them in the 70's. As far as Speilberg goes, it's not Jaws but still good. Starwars is just a typical mythological story. It could take place anywhere or anytime. It could just as easily been a western or a samurai movie and told the same story. Still one of my favorite "escape" movies though. I have that dvd set with all three different versions of close encounters. I sat down a year ago and watched all three.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by mistermunster Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:12 am

lendmeflight2 wrote:close encounters is a different kind of movie. it's really slow and i guess it's supposed to be what a real alien encounter would be like, the way that they thought of them in the 70's. As far as Speilberg goes, it's not Jaws but still good. Starwars is just a typical mythological story. It could take place anywhere or anytime. It could just as easily been a western or a samurai movie and told the same story. Still one of my favorite "escape" movies though. I have that dvd set with all three different versions of close encounters. I sat down a year ago and watched all three.

It still bores me. Just like 2001. I prefer movies with more of a message I guess. After a heavy dose of things like Planet of the Apes, Andromeda Strain, Soylent Green, Omega Man, Silent Running, Zardoz, ZPG and Logan's Run I got use to the social messages AND WARNINGS they put forth.I liked Star Wars (more so then) and all but it's just a BIG dose of sugar on film. Empire had MORE substance and set the stage for something deeper but lost it's way in Return (MORE SUGAR) and we had to wait to 16 years to get screwed on Lucas showing off his new TECH toys. The Prequels were so disappointing. Just like AVATAR all those lesser films Cameron made that were superior in story and he TOO goes SFX tech CRAZY and forgets real storytelling.
mistermunster
mistermunster

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:43 am

Well, like I said, it is sorta boring. You like movies with more action and I like those movies too. I am watching Planet of the Apes as we speak actually. I love 2001 too. When I was in high school my friends and I would just get high and watch 2001 all the time. 2001 has an incredible message. Close encounters probably doesn't, Speilberg is known for his fluff. ET was nothing but fluff. Soylent Green and Logan's run are both movies that ring far more true today than they should. Silent running is a great movie that I had forgotten about.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by mistermunster Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:56 am

lendmeflight2 wrote:Soylent Green and Logan's run are both movies that ring far more true today than they should. Silent running is a great movie that I had forgotten about.

Bruce Dern was great in Silent Running. People who say that movie is a "GREENIE" picture, WELL so what. The whole point is Man has jacked up the earth, So to save the flora and fauna is put in biodomes and sent into space for survival. Yet due to COSTS and corporate need for PROFIT the ships carrying the domes are recalled for "COMMERCIAL" use. Thus the order is given to jettison and DESTROY all plant and animal life in the domes. (Repub gave the order I'm sure Razz). Dern the ships botanist has to fight to save the domes. I saw this back in 72 when it came out and even then I asked HOW could someone be so inhuman to do such a thing and just willy nilly KILL all plant and animal life. I remember Dern saying to his fellow crewmates (who didn't give a crap) about the forests "They CAN'T be replaced" (once they were gone). You can take away a lot from Logan's Run too, but the one thing I took away from that is DON'T believe everything the system tells you, QUESTION it.

Last edited by mistermunster on Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:17 am; edited 1 time in total
mistermunster
mistermunster

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:13 am

Yeah pretty soon Boehner will propose a bill to make the unemployed into soilent green. I hate to spoil that movie for people who haven't seen it. It's still worth checking out. Have you seen Damnation Alley? It had George Peppard from the A team and Jan Micheal Vincent. It's pretty fluffy too but I love it. If you saw silent running in 72 I guess I am a little younger than you but I saw Damnation alley, silent running and tons of old monster movies on the saturday afternoon movie. It was always some kind of thriller. I first saw the warriors and the mechanic (the original Bronson version) that way too

By the way, Silent Running IS a greenie picture and there is nothing wrong with that. If we had more greenies maybe we would have an oil free gulf right.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by mistermunster Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:27 am

lendmeflight2 wrote:Yeah pretty soon Boehner will propose a bill to make the unemployed into soilent green. I hate to spoil that movie for people who haven't seen it. It's still worth checking out. Have you seen Damnation Alley? It had George Peppard from the A team and Jan Micheal Vincent. It's pretty fluffy too but I love it. If you saw silent running in 72 I guess I am a little younger than you but I saw Damnation alley, silent running and tons of old monster movies on the saturday afternoon movie. It was always some kind of thriller. I first saw the warriors and the mechanic (the original Bronson version) that way too

By the way, Silent Running IS a greenie picture and there is nothing wrong with that. If we had more greenies maybe we would have an oil free gulf right.

Damnation alley was one of those LOST cult type movies. Nowhere near the book but fun popcorn movie. I liked the Landmaster vehicle. It used to be visible from the 5 highway south in LA near Griffin Park in someones backyard. It's gone now. I heard it got moved and someone was trying to restore it or something. Another movie from the 70's with a message was the Ultimate Warrior, one of Yul Brynner's last pictures.Oh and Westworld and Futureworld with Yul Brynner too.
mistermunster
mistermunster

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:38 am

My friend gave me a netflix subscription and I noticed futureworld was on it but it doesn't have westworld so I am trying to find that somewhere first.

I have never seen ultimate warrior but I dig Yul Brynner in the magnificent seven though.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:22 pm

lendmeflight2 wrote:Well, like I said, it is sorta boring. You like movies with more action and I like those movies too. I am watching Planet of the Apes as we speak actually. I love 2001 too. When I was in high school my friends and I would just get high and watch 2001 all the time. 2001 has an incredible message. Close encounters probably doesn't, Speilberg is known for his fluff. ET was nothing but fluff. Soylent Green and Logan's run are both movies that ring far more true today than they should. Silent running is a great movie that I had forgotten about.

Actually I really like 2001, I just acuired a blu ray of the movie. I actually watch it sometimes when I want to relax...or try to.... My older brother saw it like 5X in the theater back then..

The 70's AND 80's rocked!!!!! I partied my a*S off in the middle 80's..... I ALWAYS HAD A JOB THO......(middle 80's and on)

Yes unemployment was high in the late 70's and 80's BUT nothing like this, there was still manufacturing and we were still a world leader.... now.... please.... we are a joke....

Anyone remember kids in the hall? Or when HBO would be only on @ 3PM till 12AM?

That is when cable was only 9.99 a month....

Star trek the motion picture, the movie that launched the star trek movies in 1979....

I actually liked sat night fever, the movie that is.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:27 pm

Wow it seems like i opened up a little time machine here....

If you notice that the movies from the 70's and 80's were NOT as dark as they are today....

remember the TV shows: Emergency, i dream of jeannie, star trek, the munsters, the addams family...... They were great shows I still watch them and ENJOY them not like some of the crap today....

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum