Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Letter from Bernie Sanders. EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Letter from Bernie Sanders. EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Letter from Bernie Sanders. EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Letter from Bernie Sanders. EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Letter from Bernie Sanders. EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Letter from Bernie Sanders. EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Letter from Bernie Sanders. EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Letter from Bernie Sanders. EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Letter from Bernie Sanders. EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Letter from Bernie Sanders. EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Letter from Bernie Sanders. EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Letter from Bernie Sanders. EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Letter from Bernie Sanders. EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Letter from Bernie Sanders. EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Letter from Bernie Sanders. EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Letter from Bernie Sanders.

2 posters

Go down

Letter from Bernie Sanders. Empty Letter from Bernie

Post by ET Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:53 pm

Fri, March 4, 2011 4:43:18 PM
Email from Senator Sanders
U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders <Senator@sanders.senate.gov>

Dear Ms. Turner:

Thank you for contacting me about extending unemployment benefits beyond 99 weeks. I appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns about this issue.

The recession that began in December of 2007 has created the most significant lack of jobs since the Great Depression. As of January, 2011, 9% of all American workers are unemployed more than three years after the recession began, and another 7% are either underemployed, or have given up looking for work because their search for a job seems futile. The United States is clearly experiencing an employment crisis that is dramatically affecting working families around the country.

I believe we should be very clear about how this crisis started. Beginning in the late 1990's, Wall Street bankers made many unwise loans, took on risk that they could not afford, and developed complex and unstable financial products designed to hide the risk of many investments from their customers. This effort was motivated by greed and a compensation system among financial institutions that rewards short term profits over long term growth, and that pays Wall Street executives millions of dollars a year. As a result, billions of dollars flowed in to the American housing market, and home prices expanded at an unsustainable rate. When home prices began to decline in 2007, these financial products began to unravel, undermining many of the largest financial institutions in the United States and, in fact, the world.

In September, 2008, this crisis created by Wall Street expanded to every sector of our economy. By the end of the year, our economy was losing 700,000 jobs per month. By July of 2009, more than 8 million Americans had lost their jobs. Since that time, American companies have returned to profitability, but American workers remain out of work. Their jobs simply have not come back. According to the most recent numbers, there are 4.7 job seekers for every opening.

Under these circumstances, with millions of unemployed workers and few job openings, unemployment benefits are essential to working families. Each state provides 26 weeks of unemployment benefits, but by early 2009, many workers had already exhausted these benefits. Over the following year and a half, several additional tiers of unemployment benefits were created with funds provided by the federal government. In the hardest hit states, the unemployed are provided with 99 weeks of benefits.

Millions of Americans like you have exhausted these benefits. The vast majority of workers have been unemployed for so long not because of anything they did, but because there are 11.5 million fewer jobs than there should be. I believe we must create an additional tier of unemployment benefits to help the millions of Americans who cannot find jobs simply because the jobs do not exist. This additional tier must apply to all states including Vermont because even though our Vermont unemployment rate of 5.6% is below the national average, tens of thousands of Vermonters still cannot find jobs. Please be assured that I will do everything possible to ensure unemployment benefits are restored.

The one thing unemployed Americans want more than anything else is a job. I believe we must come together to address the employment crisis that has gripped our nation during the last three years. The most significant cause of unemployment is the persistent lack of economic demand. The remedy to this problem is not the slash-and-burn budget cutting currently being advocated by many Washington and in state governments. Republicans who advocated for tax cuts for the wealthy and are now advocating for budget cuts that will impact millions of Americans are misguided in their approach to this very serious crisis. While we must restore fiscal responsibility, we must not do it on the backs of working families. The wealthy must pay their fairs share of the costs of sustaining and rebuilding our economy.

In my view, to stimulate economic demand we must make additional long term investments in our crumbling transportation, communications and utility infrastructures. These investments will create millions of jobs here in America and thousands of jobs at home in Vermont, as well as providing the physical infrastructure on which an economic recovery can be built. In addition, we must change the incentive structure that currently exists in our tax code, an incentive that rewards corporations that ship American jobs overseas. By closing these tax loopholes, corporations will no longer find offshoring a financial benefit, and they will bring millions of jobs back to the United States. We must also re-negotiate the free trade agreements our nation has entered into over the last twenty years. While greatly benefitting corporate executives and Wall Street bankers, these agreements have resulted in millions of lost jobs for American workers, many of them well-paid manufacturing jobs of the kind we need so much.

I would like to thank you again for writing to me and sharing your experience. As you know, hundreds of people have written very moving letters about the challenges their families are facing as a result of this severe recession and the financial difficulties it has caused. I have compiled a number of these letters in to a booklet that I am distributing to the press and to policymakers around the country. This booklet can be viewed online at http://sanders.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/recessionstories3.pdf. Please rest assured that I will my continue my advocacy on behalf of your family and the millions of other unemployed Americans so that we can not only restore unemployment benefits, but create the jobs that will lift us out of this crisis.

Again, thank you for contacting me about this important issue. Feel free to contact me again in the future about this or any other subject of interest to you, or for up-to-date information on what my office is working on please visit http://www.sanders.senate.gov. While there, I invite you to sign up for my e-newsletter, the Bernie Buzz, at http://sanders.senate.gov/buzz/. Please be aware that due to security screening procedures, postal mail to my office experiences delays that will lengthen the time it takes me to get back to you. The fastest way to contact my office is by calling 1-800-339-9834.

Sincerely,

BERNARD SANDERS
United States Senator
ET
ET

http://ellenturner.coolpage.biz/

Back to top Go down

Letter from Bernie Sanders. Empty Re: Letter from Bernie Sanders.

Post by Guest Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:55 pm

Letter from Bernie Sanders. 468390 Thanks for sharing this Ellen!

I I love you Bernie!

Back to top Go down

Letter from Bernie Sanders. Empty Letter from Bernie Sanders.

Post by steveninspokane Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:24 pm

Here is a letter I just received from Bernie Sanders, If this is just another mass mailing someone has posted already, feel free to ignore.

Thank you for contacting me about extending unemployment benefits beyond 99 weeks. I appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns about this issue.

The recession that began in December of 2007 has created the most significant lack of jobs since the Great Depression. As of January, 2011, 9% of all American workers are unemployed more than three years after the recession began, and another 7% are either underemployed, or have given up looking for work because their search for a job seems futile. The United States is clearly experiencing an employment crisis that is dramatically affecting working families around the country.

I believe we should be very clear about how this crisis started. Beginning in the late 1990's, Wall Street bankers made many unwise loans, took on risk that they could not afford, and developed complex and unstable financial products designed to hide the risk of many investments from their customers. This effort was motivated by greed and a compensation system among financial institutions that rewards short term profits over long term growth, and that pays Wall Street executives millions of dollars a year. As a result, billions of dollars flowed in to the American housing market, and home prices expanded at an unsustainable rate. When home prices began to decline in 2007, these financial products began to unravel, undermining many of the largest financial institutions in the United States and, in fact, the world.

In September, 2008, this crisis created by Wall Street expanded to every sector of our economy. By the end of the year, our economy was losing 700,000 jobs per month. By July of 2009, more than 8 million Americans had lost their jobs. Since that time, American companies have returned to profitability, but American workers remain out of work. Their jobs simply have not come back. According to the most recent numbers, there are 4.7 job seekers for every opening.

Under these circumstances, with millions of unemployed workers and few job openings, unemployment benefits are essential to working families. Each state provides 26 weeks of unemployment benefits, but by early 2009, many workers had already exhausted these benefits. Over the following year and a half, several additional tiers of unemployment benefits were created with funds provided by the federal government. In the hardest hit states, the unemployed are provided with 99 weeks of benefits.

Millions of Americans like you have exhausted these benefits. The vast majority of workers have been unemployed for so long not because of anything they did, but because there are 11.5 million fewer jobs than there should be. I believe we must create an additional tier of unemployment benefits to help the millions of Americans who cannot find jobs simply because the jobs do not exist. This additional tier must apply to all states including Vermont because even though our Vermont unemployment rate of 5.6% is below the national average, tens of thousands of Vermonters still cannot find jobs. Please be assured that I will do everything possible to ensure unemployment benefits are restored.

The one thing unemployed Americans want more than anything else is a job. I believe we must come together to address the employment crisis that has gripped our nation during the last three years. The most significant cause of unemployment is the persistent lack of economic demand. The remedy to this problem is not the slash-and-burn budget cutting currently being advocated by many Washington and in state governments. Republicans who advocated for tax cuts for the wealthy and are now advocating for budget cuts that will impact millions of Americans are misguided in their approach to this very serious crisis. While we must restore fiscal responsibility, we must not do it on the backs of working families. The wealthy must pay their fairs share of the costs of sustaining and rebuilding our economy.

In my view, to stimulate economic demand we must make additional long term investments in our crumbling transportation, communications and utility infrastructures. These investments will create millions of jobs here in America and thousands of jobs at home in Vermont, as well as providing the physical infrastructure on which an economic recovery can be built. In addition, we must change the incentive structure that currently exists in our tax code, an incentive that rewards corporations that ship American jobs overseas. By closing these tax loopholes, corporations will no longer find offshoring a financial benefit, and they will bring millions of jobs back to the United States. We must also re-negotiate the free trade agreements our nation has entered into over the last twenty years. While greatly benefitting corporate executives and Wall Street bankers, these agreements have resulted in millions of lost jobs for American workers, many of them well-paid manufacturing jobs of the kind we need so much.

I would like to thank you again for writing to me and sharing your experience. As you know, hundreds of people have written very moving letters about the challenges their families are facing as a result of this severe recession and the financial difficulties it has caused. I have compiled a number of these letters in to a booklet that I am distributing to the press and to policymakers around the country. This booklet can be viewed online at http://sanders.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/recessionstories3.pdf. Please rest assured that I will my continue my advocacy on behalf of your family and the millions of other unemployed Americans so that we can not only restore unemployment benefits, but create the jobs that will lift us out of this crisis.

Again, thank you for contacting me about this important issue. Feel free to contact me again in the future about this or any other subject of interest to you, or for up-to-date information on what my office is working on please visit http://www.sanders.senate.gov. While there, I invite you to sign up for my e-newsletter, the Bernie Buzz, at http://sanders.senate.gov/buzz/. Please be aware that due to security screening procedures, postal mail to my office experiences delays that will lengthen the time it takes me to get back to you. The fastest way to contact my office is by calling 1-800-339-9834.

Sincerely,

BERNARD SANDERS
United States Senator
steveninspokane
steveninspokane

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:42 pm

Thanks for sharing. But, all that sounded like was: blah, blah, blah ... form letter ... blah, blah, blah.

Why is it that they cannot draft a more personal letter instead of going off on rants that talk about where the economy is at, sign up for my newsletter and what bills were recently passed?

Americans just want to hear that Congress is moving forward with respect to furthering extended unemployment benefits for the longest term unemployed.

Back to top Go down

Post by ET Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:56 pm

Kemcha: Sen. Sanders is doing everything he can. I don't feel it is a form letter. Even if it is, he is very much on our side and fighting for our extension. Remember the filibuster of 8 hours that he gave? Not to long ago? Fighting for our extension? He is a good man.
Ellen
ET
ET

http://ellenturner.coolpage.biz/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:58 pm

I'm moving this to "Unemployment News" forum and merging it with the other "Bernie Sanders" topic. We don't need a hundred topics all saying the same thing.

Please, post all of your "Bernie Sanders" letters in this topic so we can keep track of them all. We don't need a hundred topics all with the same email response. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down