Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Research Study:  Older Workers, the Great Recession, and the Impact of Long-Term Unemployment EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Research Study:  Older Workers, the Great Recession, and the Impact of Long-Term Unemployment EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Research Study:  Older Workers, the Great Recession, and the Impact of Long-Term Unemployment EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Research Study:  Older Workers, the Great Recession, and the Impact of Long-Term Unemployment EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Research Study:  Older Workers, the Great Recession, and the Impact of Long-Term Unemployment EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Research Study:  Older Workers, the Great Recession, and the Impact of Long-Term Unemployment EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Research Study:  Older Workers, the Great Recession, and the Impact of Long-Term Unemployment EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Research Study:  Older Workers, the Great Recession, and the Impact of Long-Term Unemployment EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Research Study:  Older Workers, the Great Recession, and the Impact of Long-Term Unemployment EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Research Study:  Older Workers, the Great Recession, and the Impact of Long-Term Unemployment EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Research Study:  Older Workers, the Great Recession, and the Impact of Long-Term Unemployment EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Research Study:  Older Workers, the Great Recession, and the Impact of Long-Term Unemployment EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Research Study:  Older Workers, the Great Recession, and the Impact of Long-Term Unemployment EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Research Study:  Older Workers, the Great Recession, and the Impact of Long-Term Unemployment EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Research Study:  Older Workers, the Great Recession, and the Impact of Long-Term Unemployment EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Research Study: Older Workers, the Great Recession, and the Impact of Long-Term Unemployment

2 posters

Go down

Research Study:  Older Workers, the Great Recession, and the Impact of Long-Term Unemployment Empty Research Study: Older Workers, the Great Recession, and the Impact of Long-Term Unemployment

Post by Guest Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:51 am

While workers of all ages and backgrounds have been affected by the Great Recession, older workers (age 55 and up) have fared especially poorly. Though less likely to become unemployed than younger workers - those 55 and over had an unemployment rate of 7.2% in December 2010 compared to 8.5% for workers age 25 - 64 -- once they do lose their job, they are likely to remain out of work longer (Pew Fiscal Analysis Initiative, 2011).

http://www.heldrich.rutgers.edu/sites/default/files/content/Heldrich_Center_Older_Workers_Brief.pdf

Back to top Go down

Research Study:  Older Workers, the Great Recession, and the Impact of Long-Term Unemployment Empty Re: Research Study: Older Workers, the Great Recession, and the Impact of Long-Term Unemployment

Post by chopthis91 Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:26 pm

This article definitely hits home for me and I'm sure many others on this site. Even though my wife works our income level has been cut in half and we have given up many things BUT my biggest concern is our debt keeps increasing. Just like the Federal government we are taking in far less than what we owe. I honestly see bankruptcy in our future if I don't find work soon. Additionally, we can't afford health insurance and because of pre-existing conditions what we could get is way above what we could ever afford at this point. One serious medical problem will in all liklihood put us down. Personally I see no end to the dark days we are in but instead I do see it getting much worse. God help us all. Praying
chopthis91
chopthis91

Back to top Go down

Research Study:  Older Workers, the Great Recession, and the Impact of Long-Term Unemployment Empty Re: Research Study: Older Workers, the Great Recession, and the Impact of Long-Term Unemployment

Post by Guest Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:29 pm

This hits home with me as well. I haven't had health insurance in three years. I am blessed to have a primary care doc in my small town who understands the issues the unemployed face and only charges a nominal fee for a three month check up and prescription refills (generic which I get at WalChina-Mart for $10 for a 3 month supply). God help me if a serious issue arose, I don't know what I would do.

I lost my job prior to the subsidy for COBRA was enacted, therefore, I wasn't eligible for that either. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by gettheminNOVEMBER Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:41 pm

They just covered this on MSNBC. Thats what Im talkin
gettheminNOVEMBER
gettheminNOVEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by chopthis91 Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:46 pm

gettheminNOVEMBER wrote:They just covered this on MSNBC. Thats what Im talkin

Really? I'm watching The Price Is Right and sorry I missed that on MSNBC. What did they say?
chopthis91
chopthis91

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down