Latest topics
» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Wed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

» things are going to get worst
Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:51 pm by 

Social Networks
July 2018

Calendar Calendar

Paying back unemployment

Go down

Paying back unemployment

Post by chedooli on Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:06 pm

I have received an amount from NJ unemployment in error. I did pay it back, however they also withheld federal taxes which I did not receive. The state is asking for that amount ($50.00) back from me since they paid to the Federal Government and told me it was up to me to retrieve those funds. My question is who do you go to get these funds back from. The employment counselor told me to ask my accountant. I don't have one I do my own returns. Any suggestions. FYI - I am paying the amount back in payments.


Posts : 7
Join date : 2013-04-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Paying back unemployment

Post by jmainframe on Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:08 pm

First off, I believe you did the right thing by having them withhold the federal tax (still can't believe they're getting away with taxing unemployment benefits), so that you don't get any suprises come April.

I'm a little confused as to why it's YOUR responsibility to get that money back, when it was THEIR mistake! And the state must really be broke to have to come after you for a measly $50. Don't the cops give out enough tickets to raise revenue?

I would contact a CPA in your area. They're not as bad as lawyers, who's "meter" starts running the instant they answer their phone. This is advice most CPA's would give for free.

Posts : 471
Join date : 2011-02-24
Age : 59
Location : New Jersey

Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum