Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
When Being Jobless Is a Barrier to Finding a Job - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
When Being Jobless Is a Barrier to Finding a Job - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
When Being Jobless Is a Barrier to Finding a Job - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
When Being Jobless Is a Barrier to Finding a Job - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
When Being Jobless Is a Barrier to Finding a Job - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
When Being Jobless Is a Barrier to Finding a Job - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
When Being Jobless Is a Barrier to Finding a Job - Page 2 EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
When Being Jobless Is a Barrier to Finding a Job - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
When Being Jobless Is a Barrier to Finding a Job - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
When Being Jobless Is a Barrier to Finding a Job - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
When Being Jobless Is a Barrier to Finding a Job - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
When Being Jobless Is a Barrier to Finding a Job - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
When Being Jobless Is a Barrier to Finding a Job - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
When Being Jobless Is a Barrier to Finding a Job - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
When Being Jobless Is a Barrier to Finding a Job - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

When Being Jobless Is a Barrier to Finding a Job

+2
jmainframe
DesperateInRI
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

When Being Jobless Is a Barrier to Finding a Job - Page 2 Empty When Being Jobless Is a Barrier to Finding a Job

Post by DesperateInRI Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:57 am

First topic message reminder :

These Bronx residents are among the growing ranks of New Yorkers who say
they are trapped in a vicious circle of unemployment — rejected time
and time again for jobs that could put food on the table, resurrect
stalled careers and pull them out of a downward spiral of debt.

Despite their qualifications and experience, these job seekers contend
that they have not been given a fair shot because of one
counterintuitive reason: They are already unemployed.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/18/nyregion/for-many-being-out-of-work-is-chief-obstacle-to-finding-it.html?_r=1&hp=&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1361195354-00+D6HofarBEmKRgW947YA

Congress should take a look at what New York is trying to do! Jobs are out there, but they are not available to those who were hurt the most in the "Great Recession", those who lost jobs in 2007, 2008, 2009. Extensions are not the answer to fixing our economy, legislation for hiring incentives, and discrimination against the LTU is needed NOW!
DesperateInRI
DesperateInRI
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

When Being Jobless Is a Barrier to Finding a Job - Page 2 Empty Re: When Being Jobless Is a Barrier to Finding a Job

Post by MarilynL Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:01 pm

DesperateInRI wrote:I submitted my resume without dates of employment to Randstad, a temp/recruiting company. I got an email asking me to resubmit with dates of employment. Here is what I just got back. How do I answer?

Thank
you for updating your resume. I see that you last worked in 2008, can you
tell me what you have been doing since then?

Too bad you didn't know someone where you could volunteer a couple of days a week...or talk to someone who could vouch for you in that area......that way you could use the volunteering job as a part time employment.

MarilynL

Back to top Go down

When Being Jobless Is a Barrier to Finding a Job - Page 2 Empty Re: When Being Jobless Is a Barrier to Finding a Job

Post by MarilynL Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:05 pm

smindles wrote:
nfpexec wrote:Agencies will do NOTHING for you. They're interested in their commission and looking for the people they can sell. They cant and wont sell long term unemployed people. I wouldn't waste my time or add to my anxiety level by dealing with them.

So you're saying that this was just "one person's experience" and you don't think your words might influence others not to use agencies to find work.

I'm not the only "lucky" one that uses these agencies. Perhaps it's not the agency that is the problem.

I am sick of the negativity. BTW what agencies have you used? I did ask.

I'm not backing down on remarks that may hurt others looking for work!

I have to say that temp agencies in my area are of no help as well. They list jobs, but when you apply to them, they 've literally told me that there isn't any job opening, but they wanted to have a file of resumes in case a company did call them for a position... they wanted to be ready for them with prospects. As far as I am concerned, this is false advertisement.

Years ago, and yes, I am talking about the past....when you got called for a temp job, you started the next day. If the company liked you, they hired you on...if they didn't like your work, they would call the temp agency and request another temp. In this way, you could prove yourself with your work ethics. However that is not always the case anymore. I got called by a temp agency, to go to a company for an "interview" !!!! I was up against a 20 something year old....guess who got the job.

Additionally, many of our temp agencies in my area provide help for companies out of town. They don't even recruit clients locally. Unfortunately, I cannot afford going from one temp interview to another, out of town, not being guaranteed that I will even work there, with an 11 yr old car that is about to crap.

So, as far as I'm concerned, they aren't any help for me neither...I may fill out an app on line, but I don't spend my day looking for jobs with them. You can never guarantee there is one.

MarilynL

Back to top Go down

Post by MarilynL Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:09 pm

DesperateInRI wrote:How do you find job opportunities if you don't use a recruiting or temp agency? There are no "help wanted" ads in newspapers anymore, companies don't like to advertise themselves because they are overwhelmed with responses for one job opening and networking is a joke! Around here, one out of two people you know is out of work! Where do you find job openings if you don't use an agency? Please, let me know, I need something SOON!

You could try just going to different company's website. They do often list opening positions, that are not publicly advertized, or if they are, they are on some other website that is not commonly known. Truthfully, I trust company websites more than I trust the regular job seeking sites, such as Indeed and Monster, or Career Builder....for these reasons:

1. There will be tons of others applying for those jobs on the same site...you will get lost among the thousands.
2. Once the job has been filled, it doesn't always come off the job search site quickly, so you may be applying for a position that has already been filled.
3. Even if it hasn't been filled yet, most likely they have pulled the first 50 off the site, so if you've applied late, before they took it off or before they've actually hired someone, you are going to be in the back of the bus, anyway.

I love our locan North Central Career Center (unemployment office) for one simple reason...they actually require companies who advertise openings with them to put an applying deadline on it...before they stop looking at resumes.

MarilynL

Back to top Go down

Post by MarilynL Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:12 pm

DesperateInRI wrote:When Being Jobless Is a Barrier to Finding a Job - Page 2 550579 Can anyone answer my question above?

I'm not getting involved here. If you don't want to run into each other on the forum, please "Foe" each other. Go to your profile, choose the tab "Friends and Foes" and put the person's name you are trying to block. Good luck. PM me if you need help.

Honestly...if everyone did a "bitch check" before they hit "send", it would solve alot of these problems...most people (me included) don't realize how they come off sounding...when you don't see a face and only the words, the tone can be misleading.

MarilynL

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:38 pm

MarilynL wrote:
DesperateInRI wrote:When Being Jobless Is a Barrier to Finding a Job - Page 2 550579 Can anyone answer my question above?

I'm not getting involved here. If you don't want to run into each other on the forum, please "Foe" each other. Go to your profile, choose the tab "Friends and Foes" and put the person's name you are trying to block. Good luck. PM me if you need help.

Honestly...if everyone did a "bitch check" before they hit "send", it would solve alot of these problems...most people (me included) don't realize how they come off sounding...when you don't see a face and only the words, the tone can be misleading.

Marilyn, I don't understand what you mean by "don't see a face". If you're referring to me based on some of our opposing beliefs (posts), I've changed my avatar to show "my face". Where's your picture?

Was this a reference to me? Just wondering...

BTW, I don't agree at all with you that sites (not sights) like Dice, Careerbuilder, and Monster do not provide employment. If one has the credentials and they are provided on the posted resume, recruiters will hunt you down to submit to clients. No need to even search and submit through these sites. Just upload your resume or make a change to your profile every night!

Less time on Facebook girlie unemployment chat sites discussing me and more time concentrating on further education and trying out solid advice such as Elvis and I have provided in various threads here would be my recommendation.

And stop trashing DesperateinRI on those FB "blogs", insinuating that I should be muffled. This person provides enormous help and advice. I have my own mind and experience to share. This is the place to come.

Leave if you don't like it!

Back to top Go down

Post by MarilynL Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:48 am

MarilynL wrote:
smindles wrote:
MarilynL wrote:

Marilyn, I don't understand what you mean by "don't see a face". If you're referring to me based on some of our opposing beliefs (posts), I've changed my avatar to show "my face". Where's your picture?

Was this a reference to me? Just wondering...

BTW, I don't agree at all with you that sites (not sights) like Dice, Careerbuilder, and Monster do not provide employment. If one has the credentials and they are provided on the posted resume, recruiters will hunt you down to submit to clients. No need to even search and submit through these sites. Just upload your resume or make a change to your profile every night!

Less time on Facebook girlie unemployment chat sites discussing me and more time concentrating on further education and trying out solid advice such as Elvis and I have provided in various threads here would be my recommendation.

And stop trashing DesperateinRI on those FB "blogs", insinuating that I should be muffled. This person provides enormous help and advice. I have my own mind and experience to share. This is the place to come.

Leave if you don't like it!

My final post in here is to respond to you...

1. When I said "faceless"...I meant that was easier for people to vent to a faceless screen rather than individuals we meet up with every day in real life...because they don't understand or don't care. You were critical of those who vented in there, and I was merely stating why some of us do come in here...to vent...this is a "venting forum". I could careless if nobody puts their pictures on their profile.

2. Secondly..if you check the thread "I apologize if this has been posted before", it is clearly noted that you have taken my picture from the FB site and posted in here. By not removing it, you have invaded my privacy, and when the admin does not remove when I requested it, that tells me what kind of site this is. If you care so much about "desperate in RI" you will remove it yourself.

3. You assume that we are all spending more time on unemployment sites than looking for jobs, but it is clear that you know more what's going on than I do...I am hardly on here or elsewhere.

That's all I got to say in here...but until my picture is removed, I will not recommend this site to anyone without reservations.

MarilynL

Back to top Go down

Post by DesperateInRI Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:06 pm

Please don't recommend this site! I really have no time for middle school games that are spiteful and vindictive and only aimed at hurting the reputation and character of someone. What you did on Facebook yesterday was childish and cruel. You defamed me and slandered this site. If you ever have something positive to say to the people who post in these threads, come back. You are NOT "blocked" or "banned", as you misinformed the members of Extend Unemployment Benefit's Facebook page. Have a good day! Unfortunately, this topic is now locked.
DesperateInRI
DesperateInRI
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2