Latest topics
» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Wed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

» things are going to get worst
Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:51 pm by 

Social Networks
March 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
   1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031 

Calendar Calendar


When Being Jobless Is a Barrier to Finding a Job

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

When Being Jobless Is a Barrier to Finding a Job

Post by DesperateInRI on Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:57 am

These Bronx residents are among the growing ranks of New Yorkers who say
they are trapped in a vicious circle of unemployment — rejected time
and time again for jobs that could put food on the table, resurrect
stalled careers and pull them out of a downward spiral of debt.

Despite their qualifications and experience, these job seekers contend
that they have not been given a fair shot because of one
counterintuitive reason: They are already unemployed.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/18/nyregion/for-many-being-out-of-work-is-chief-obstacle-to-finding-it.html?_r=1&hp=&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1361195354-00+D6HofarBEmKRgW947YA


Congress should take a look at what New York is trying to do! Jobs are out there, but they are not available to those who were hurt the most in the "Great Recession", those who lost jobs in 2007, 2008, 2009. Extensions are not the answer to fixing our economy, legislation for hiring incentives, and discrimination against the LTU is needed NOW!

_________________


“Everyone's moving on without me, into a world I don't understand.”
avatar
DesperateInRI
Administrator
Administrator

Posts : 429
Join date : 2012-09-14
Age : 60
Location : CT

Back to top Go down

Re: When Being Jobless Is a Barrier to Finding a Job

Post by jmainframe on Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:54 pm

Congress knows exactly what New York (and the other states as well) is doing. They've gotten enough of our emails, phone calls, faxes, and tweets. As long as few people are aware of it, they will do nothing. Once the majority of people know what's going on, congress will be embarrassed to the point of action, especially the house members who must go home and face their local constituents.
avatar
jmainframe
Member

Posts : 471
Join date : 2011-02-24
Age : 58
Location : New Jersey

Back to top Go down

Re: When Being Jobless Is a Barrier to Finding a Job

Post by Springflowers on Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:01 am

I wouldn't blame someone if they hid the fact they were unemployed, in fact if I think if someone is about to starve, we are entering lesser evil territory. These employers are soul-less.

Springflowers
Member

Posts : 215
Join date : 2011-04-14

Back to top Go down

Re: When Being Jobless Is a Barrier to Finding a Job

Post by DesperateInRI on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:05 pm

I wish I could hide the fact I am unemployed, but unfortunately future employers want references from your last job.

_________________


“Everyone's moving on without me, into a world I don't understand.”
avatar
DesperateInRI
Administrator
Administrator

Posts : 429
Join date : 2012-09-14
Age : 60
Location : CT

Back to top Go down

Re: When Being Jobless Is a Barrier to Finding a Job

Post by Springflowers on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:45 am

DesperateInRI wrote:I wish I could hide the fact I am unemployed, but unfortunately future employers want references from your last job.

get a friend to be one.

Tell them your boss has since left.

There's ways around that.

Get a coworker that liked you who was one or two tiers up, even if not a direct supervisor.

They don't care about you, so why break your back to try and make things easy for them to throw you out on the street to starve?


Springflowers
Member

Posts : 215
Join date : 2011-04-14

Back to top Go down

Re: When Being Jobless Is a Barrier to Finding a Job

Post by nfpexec on Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:54 pm

I had an two interviews a week ago and they started checking my references, who called to let me know. They were asked why I didnt have a job in management. The job they advertised wasn't in management, they kept telling me i had too much experience so why are they asking people why I hadnt worked in management , which is also incorrect since I've worked in management since 2000. SO I dont know what that's about. I'm so fed up with this whole thing.
avatar
nfpexec
Member

Posts : 194
Join date : 2011-03-22
Location : new york

Back to top Go down

Re: When Being Jobless Is a Barrier to Finding a Job

Post by DesperateInRI on Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:29 pm

I submitted my resume without dates of employment to Randstad, a temp/recruiting company. I got an email asking me to resubmit with dates of employment. Here is what I just got back. How do I answer?



Thank
you for updating your resume. I see that you last worked in 2008, can you
tell me what you have been doing since then?

_________________


“Everyone's moving on without me, into a world I don't understand.”
avatar
DesperateInRI
Administrator
Administrator

Posts : 429
Join date : 2012-09-14
Age : 60
Location : CT

Back to top Go down

Re: When Being Jobless Is a Barrier to Finding a Job

Post by jmainframe on Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:13 pm

This is a tough one Desp. You did the right thing by not using dates in order that the gaps don't show up. Now, they're forcing your hand. And they must have done some snooping in order to find that you last worked in 2008. I'm just afraid that if you submit a resume with dates, and a 4+ year gap, that it may get around the internet. Unless you have someone who can vouch for you, that you worked from 2008 to present, and unless Ranstadt means a lot to you (there are other temp agencies out there), I would respectfully decline. Just say something like, "In this bad economy, that I'm sure you're aware of through your dealings with other candidates, I'm struggling with employment like millions of others, but manage to keep working doing freelance work in and around where I live". If that doesn't satisfy them, perhaps they might not be such a great outfit to be associated with.
avatar
jmainframe
Member

Posts : 471
Join date : 2011-02-24
Age : 58
Location : New Jersey

Back to top Go down

Re: When Being Jobless Is a Barrier to Finding a Job

Post by Springflowers on Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:42 am

DesperateInRI wrote:I submitted my resume without dates of employment to Randstad, a temp/recruiting company. I got an email asking me to resubmit with dates of employment. Here is what I just got back. How do I answer?



Thank
you for updating your resume. I see that you last worked in 2008, can you
tell me what you have been doing since then?

Tell them consulting or working for yourself or taking care of an ill relative.

Springflowers
Member

Posts : 215
Join date : 2011-04-14

Back to top Go down

Re: When Being Jobless Is a Barrier to Finding a Job

Post by Springflowers on Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:43 am

jmainframe wrote:This is a tough one Desp. You did the right thing by not using dates in order that the gaps don't show up. Now, they're forcing your hand. And they must have done some snooping in order to find that you last worked in 2008. I'm just afraid that if you submit a resume with dates, and a 4+ year gap, that it may get around the internet. Unless you have someone who can vouch for you, that you worked from 2008 to present, and unless Ranstadt means a lot to you (there are other temp agencies out there), I would respectfully decline. Just say something like, "In this bad economy, that I'm sure you're aware of through your dealings with other candidates, I'm struggling with employment like millions of others, but manage to keep working doing freelance work in and around where I live". If that doesn't satisfy them, perhaps they might not be such a great outfit to be associated with.

I think people should avoid temp agencies, lots of wasted time and energy to get employment you can't even depend on and they can whisk away at a minute's notice. I wasted time earlier in life on temp agencies and tell people do not bother unless its the temp agency vs. the street.

Springflowers
Member

Posts : 215
Join date : 2011-04-14

Back to top Go down

Re: When Being Jobless Is a Barrier to Finding a Job

Post by nfpexec on Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:20 am

Agencies will do NOTHING for you. They're interested in their commission and looking for the people they can sell. They cant and wont sell long term unemployed people. I wouldn't waste my time or add to my anxiety level by dealing with them.
avatar
nfpexec
Member

Posts : 194
Join date : 2011-03-22
Location : new york

Back to top Go down

Re: When Being Jobless Is a Barrier to Finding a Job

Post by Guest on Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:37 pm

Springflowers wrote:

I think people should avoid temp agencies, lots of wasted time and energy to get employment you can't even depend on and they can whisk away at a minute's notice. I wasted time earlier in life on temp agencies and tell people do not bother unless its the temp agency vs. the street.

Who do you consider "temp" agencies. Here is a list of companies I've secured contracts through. Please highlight which ones are "temps", because they all provide temporary workers to companies...

- Wipro
- Experis
- Accenture
- Robert Half
- IBM
- TEKSystems

And the list goes on. Last summer I was hired on a 3 month contract to deploy new high technology to 6 MA schools districts - about 27 schools. I worked for a different vendor but I contracted out to Robert Half & their partner companies to secure over 30 individuals - young and old - as helpers and made sure they were treated right.

So I do not agree with this statement of "temp agencies". Direct hires into companies today is very improbable. Agencies such as I've listed are great to get back into the work environment.

I post this because I don't want sincere individuals to be turned off by the negativity that your statements encourage.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: When Being Jobless Is a Barrier to Finding a Job

Post by nfpexec on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:38 am

I'm glad temp agencies work for you but I don't think the earlier post spread negativity, its just relating personal experiences which varies from person to person depending oin your job and location.
avatar
nfpexec
Member

Posts : 194
Join date : 2011-03-22
Location : new york

Back to top Go down

Re: When Being Jobless Is a Barrier to Finding a Job

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:17 am

nfpexec wrote:Agencies will do NOTHING for you. They're interested in their commission and looking for the people they can sell. They cant and wont sell long term unemployed people. I wouldn't waste my time or add to my anxiety level by dealing with them.

So you're saying that this was just "one person's experience" and you don't think your words might influence others not to use agencies to find work.

I'm not the only "lucky" one that uses these agencies. Perhaps it's not the agency that is the problem.

I am sick of the negativity. BTW what agencies have you used? I did ask.

I'm not backing down on remarks that may hurt others looking for work!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: When Being Jobless Is a Barrier to Finding a Job

Post by nfpexec on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:53 am

Whatever your problem is I'm not interested in it. I have every right to express my opinion and was agreeing with the previous posting. If you don't like it whatever. As for what I've done, do I know you? Otherwise I don't respond to being cross examined by you. I've been off and on this site since he summer of 2010 and found overwhelming support. You are not in that category so if you want to argue and carry on find someone else. I've got bigger issues to think about than squabbling with some person I dont know wont meet and dont care about.
avatar
nfpexec
Member

Posts : 194
Join date : 2011-03-22
Location : new york

Back to top Go down

Re: When Being Jobless Is a Barrier to Finding a Job

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:04 am

nfpexec wrote:Whatever your problem is I'm not interested in it. I have every right to express my opinion and was agreeing with the previous posting. If you don't like it whatever. As for what I've done, do I know you? Otherwise I don't respond to being cross examined by you. I've been off and on this site since he summer of 2010 and found overwhelming support. You are not in that category so if you want to argue and carry on find someone else. I've got bigger issues to think about than squabbling with some person I dont know wont meet and dont care about.

I'm not squabbling. I'm trying to keep reason on what is said in this forum. I am not cross examining you for your remarks, I'm just trying to balance them with reality for the sake of other members that might take your words as gospel, therefore not following avenues that are viable ways to employment.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: When Being Jobless Is a Barrier to Finding a Job

Post by nfpexec on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:56 am

Your opinion especially since you express it in a combative way means nothing to me. Oh let me amend that your "ridiculous" remarks. Later.
avatar
nfpexec
Member

Posts : 194
Join date : 2011-03-22
Location : new york

Back to top Go down

Re: When Being Jobless Is a Barrier to Finding a Job

Post by DesperateInRI on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:20 am

How do you find job opportunities if you don't use a recruiting or temp agency? There are no "help wanted" ads in newspapers anymore, companies don't like to advertise themselves because they are overwhelmed with responses for one job opening and networking is a joke! Around here, one out of two people you know is out of work! Where do you find job openings if you don't use an agency? Please, let me know, I need something SOON!

_________________


“Everyone's moving on without me, into a world I don't understand.”
avatar
DesperateInRI
Administrator
Administrator

Posts : 429
Join date : 2012-09-14
Age : 60
Location : CT

Back to top Go down

Re: When Being Jobless Is a Barrier to Finding a Job

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:03 pm

nfpexec wrote:Your opinion especially since you express it in a combative way means nothing to me. Oh let me amend that your "ridiculous" remarks. Later.

Combative? I have no idea how I'm being combative. And what do you mean by "ridiculous"?

Anyways I'm done trying to make my point.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: When Being Jobless Is a Barrier to Finding a Job

Post by nfpexec on Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:13 pm

You're so good.
avatar
nfpexec
Member

Posts : 194
Join date : 2011-03-22
Location : new york

Back to top Go down

Re: When Being Jobless Is a Barrier to Finding a Job

Post by DesperateInRI on Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:55 pm

Can anyone answer my question above?

I'm not getting involved here. If you don't want to run into each other on the forum, please "Foe" each other. Go to your profile, choose the tab "Friends and Foes" and put the person's name you are trying to block. Good luck. PM me if you need help.

_________________


“Everyone's moving on without me, into a world I don't understand.”
avatar
DesperateInRI
Administrator
Administrator

Posts : 429
Join date : 2012-09-14
Age : 60
Location : CT

Back to top Go down

Re: When Being Jobless Is a Barrier to Finding a Job

Post by elvis44102 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:40 pm

DesperateInRI wrote:How do you find job opportunities if you don't use a recruiting or temp agency? There are no "help wanted" ads in newspapers anymore, companies don't like to advertise themselves because they are overwhelmed with responses for one job opening and networking is a joke! Around here, one out of two people you know is out of work! Where do you find job openings if you don't use an agency? Please, let me know, I need something SOON!

In an effort to answer the question...

My resume is posted on Monster, Dice, carreer builder, Yahoo and linkedin.

i am contacted by people about projects that are comming up or sometimes they need somebody to fill in for someone who has dropped out..

I don't Know about anything till they contact me first seemingly out of the blue, and yes its very infuriating, but NOT hopeless
avatar
elvis44102
Member

Posts : 656
Join date : 2011-03-07

Back to top Go down

Re: When Being Jobless Is a Barrier to Finding a Job

Post by DesperateInRI on Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:58 am

Thanks, elvis.

_________________


“Everyone's moving on without me, into a world I don't understand.”
avatar
DesperateInRI
Administrator
Administrator

Posts : 429
Join date : 2012-09-14
Age : 60
Location : CT

Back to top Go down

Re: When Being Jobless Is a Barrier to Finding a Job

Post by MarilynL on Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:57 pm

DesperateInRI wrote:I wish I could hide the fact I am unemployed, but unfortunately future employers want references from your last job.

I've never been asked for references during an interview. And actually when I often keep letters of references in my car, and sometimes offer them to the company....they often refuse them.

MarilynL
Member

Posts : 217
Join date : 2012-07-18

Back to top Go down

Re: When Being Jobless Is a Barrier to Finding a Job

Post by MarilynL on Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:59 pm

Springflowers wrote:
DesperateInRI wrote:I wish I could hide the fact I am unemployed, but unfortunately future employers want references from your last job.

get a friend to be one.

Tell them your boss has since left.

There's ways around that.

Get a coworker that liked you who was one or two tiers up, even if not a direct supervisor.

They don't care about you, so why break your back to try and make things easy for them to throw you out on the street to starve?


I am lucky in the sense that 3 of my previous employers have either moved out of state or closed their business, so perspective employers have to accept my letters of references or not get any at all.

MarilynL
Member

Posts : 217
Join date : 2012-07-18

Back to top Go down

Re: When Being Jobless Is a Barrier to Finding a Job

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum