Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Feeling terrible that I turned down a job early on EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Feeling terrible that I turned down a job early on EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Feeling terrible that I turned down a job early on EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Feeling terrible that I turned down a job early on EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Feeling terrible that I turned down a job early on EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Feeling terrible that I turned down a job early on EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Feeling terrible that I turned down a job early on EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Feeling terrible that I turned down a job early on EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Feeling terrible that I turned down a job early on EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Feeling terrible that I turned down a job early on EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Feeling terrible that I turned down a job early on EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Feeling terrible that I turned down a job early on EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Feeling terrible that I turned down a job early on EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Feeling terrible that I turned down a job early on EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Feeling terrible that I turned down a job early on EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Feeling terrible that I turned down a job early on

+5
stillnutty
503Depressed
DesperateInRI
Daveparts3
geedee
9 posters

Go down

Feeling terrible that I turned down a job early on Empty Feeling terrible that I turned down a job early on

Post by geedee Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:32 am

Sad I've been unemployed since the end of September 2012... so just about 8 weeks so far. Well early on in my job search... about week, I went to an interview for an admin assistant... pretty much what I do. The pay wasn't great... about $6 less then what I was making at my last job per hour... so not terrible BUT they wanted me full time and there would be no benefits at all. I ended up struggling with the decision and decided that I might be short changing myself so I turned it down. Now 6 weeks later, that was the first and last interview I've had. I've sent out my resume to I'm sure several hundred listings and haven't heard one call back. Sad What did I do!?! Did I make the biggest mistake of my life?

I keep reading all these horror stories that the statistics for your chances of getting calls back and landing a job after those first couple weeks dwindles by the week. Sad How do you get people to call you back? I feel like I shot myself in the foot big time and its eating me alive! Sad

geedee

Back to top Go down

Feeling terrible that I turned down a job early on Empty Re: Feeling terrible that I turned down a job early on

Post by Daveparts3 Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:34 pm

Geedee, don't be too hard on yourself, you didn't know. You like I, were raised in that old world. You didn't just jump at anything tossed your way.
In that old world we looked for at least the same as we had, if not better.

We all second guess ourselves,you wonder about some question you answered at an interview.Today, in the glorious American economy, six people want every job and four of them are either better qualified or willing to work for nothing.

Daveparts3
Banned
Banned

Back to top Go down

Feeling terrible that I turned down a job early on Empty Re: Feeling terrible that I turned down a job early on

Post by DesperateInRI Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:13 pm

One hundred and eleven people applied to a job I just interviewed for. They chose the 5 most qualified to interview, I was one of them. Am I optimistic about getting that job? NO WAY! I am a 99er, exhaustee, long term unemployed.....I submitted that resume with no employment dates. I know from experience over the past 4 years that I will not even be considered due to the length of unemployment, even if I am the most qualified.

It's a sad thing to say, but in today's world, TAKE WHATEVER YOU CAN GET!
DesperateInRI
DesperateInRI
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by 503Depressed Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:23 pm

Yeah, I'm interviewing tomorrow for a job that is in the "Take whatever you can get" category. Sucks when it comes down to that. Been out 3 months from my last contract job where I made my lifetime high of $20/hr and have been offered an even higher rate at the same place, however I am banned from returning there for 6 months.

I am barely surviving on a less than part-time job (state recently reduced my hours), with now no medical insurance.

Very depressed...
503Depressed
503Depressed

Back to top Go down

Post by stillnutty Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:58 am

503Depressed wrote:Yeah, I'm interviewing tomorrow for a job that is in the "Take whatever you can get" category. Sucks when it comes down to that. Been out 3 months from my last contract job where I made my lifetime high of $20/hr and have been offered an even higher rate at the same place, however I am banned from returning there for 6 months.

I am barely surviving on a less than part-time job (state recently reduced my hours), with now no medical insurance.

Very depressed...
Good Luck with the interview, and Happy Birthday !

stillnutty
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by NoJobForMe Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:08 pm

NO, i don't think you made a HUGE mistake, but maybe in retrospeact YOU like anyone is thinking....UH OH!

As creatures of habit we seem to hold onto what WE think were worth. I think the only way this is going to crush you is if youre NOT drawing benifits and have no savings then yeah it wasnt a good idea.

Im going into week 4 of being jobless and still have over two weeks to wait before my unemployment phone screening. I wish you the best !

NoJobForMe

Back to top Go down

Post by MistyBlue Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:37 pm

Don't feel bad, Geedee. I did the same thing when I was first laid off. I didn't want to settle for a part time job offer because I thought for sure that a full time job offer was just around the corner. But it never came.
MistyBlue
MistyBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by MarilynL Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:36 pm

I turned down several jobs when I first got laid off...and I get a little angry at myself when I think about it...but I had no way of knowing what the road of unemployment was really like, and I was holding out for a little more.... It's done..I can't brood about it...and I would like to believe that there was a reason why I didn't feel the desire to take those jobs....it has to feel right to me...if it doesn't, I don't feel they are the job for me....

Of course, now I am working part time that I KNOW isn't the right job for me...but this time I knew I had no choice but to accept it. Now I am just longing for another job so I can get the heck out of where I am.

MarilynL

Back to top Go down

Post by John Simmons Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:44 pm

It's always best to take advantage of opportunities when they present themselves. The positive thing that comes out of this is the fact that you now know this. This ensures your future. Stay strong, you'll be fine.

John Simmons

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down