Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Okay, Suck It Up & Get That Job! EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Okay, Suck It Up & Get That Job! EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Okay, Suck It Up & Get That Job! EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Okay, Suck It Up & Get That Job! EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Okay, Suck It Up & Get That Job! EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Okay, Suck It Up & Get That Job! EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Okay, Suck It Up & Get That Job! EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Okay, Suck It Up & Get That Job! EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Okay, Suck It Up & Get That Job! EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Okay, Suck It Up & Get That Job! EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Okay, Suck It Up & Get That Job! EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Okay, Suck It Up & Get That Job! EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Okay, Suck It Up & Get That Job! EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Okay, Suck It Up & Get That Job! EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Okay, Suck It Up & Get That Job! EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Okay, Suck It Up & Get That Job!

2 posters

Go down

Okay, Suck It Up & Get That Job! Empty Okay, Suck It Up & Get That Job!

Post by Guest Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:54 am

Okay, I'm sorry but I'm in a rare "sick of hearing it" frame of mind. I'm know it's even a challenge to get out of bed in the morning for many - but get out!

I keep seeing every excuse in the book why "we're passed by" and I'm getting nauseated. It often reads "us against them". Get smart. Get tough!

Dedicate your whole day to job searching, because jobs ARE coming around. But those who just lament and are "sick and tired" WILL LOSE. PERIOD!

Please get yourself out on every job board, update it nightly (recruiters are looking for you... they aren't posting most of the jobs that are available - that's additional $$ for them).

Go into that interview, look and be sharp, and don't hang the damned unemployed sign around your neck with your attitude and in your "best foot forward".

I say this because I care about you guys - NO EXCEPTIONS - macky

Please make today a most productive one!

http://www.govtjob.net/GoodAttitude.htm

Anyone who has faced any significant stretch of unemployment is anxious and uncertain about the future. As savings are depleted, people become desperate -- and often depressed.

Job search author Douglas Richardson tells a story of a discouraged job seeker. "Everybody's talking about the Y2K problem," sighs a weary-looking executive job seeker. "Well, I've got my own Y2K problem. It's called 'the Year-Two Knock.' I just started the second year of my job search, and it hit me like a ton of bricks. Right now I really feel down, really discouraged. At the moment, things really feel beyond my control. I need to put something in the win column. I really need to get back to work."

Unemployment and job-market uncertainties bother some people more than others. Even for those very confident in their skills and marketability, the strains of a protracted job search can be difficult to cope with, especially for decisive, results-oriented employees accustomed to taking charge and making things happen.

Many job seekers start fast and furious, but then when no offers come, or in some cases very few interviews, discouragement sets in, and the job seeker succumbs to the temptation to "give up", tends to lose enthusiasm and momentum, and being overwhelmed with spells of anxiety or depression.

"I came in second in two very competitive searches," says one city manager, "and there were a few other job opportunities where I didn't even make the first cut. I don't know what's wrong. I have an excellent portfolio and have a good track record of accomplishments. I used to drive the action. I'm used to succeeding. I don't know if it's me or the process. Maybe I'm not as good as a thought I was..."

Back to top Go down

Okay, Suck It Up & Get That Job! Empty Re: Okay, Suck It Up & Get That Job!

Post by elvis44102 Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:21 pm

i have been a member of this forum as well as its predecessors....

that's going back several years and i am not detecting this negativism

i will say there might be some apathy out there but not so much from posters....but non-posters.....

i fear many have drifted to the wayside over the years....

i HOPE many former posters have simply gotten employment and THAT'S why the no longer post..

however we also get NEW people frequently...

Having worked in the field of substance abuse and still doing "voluntary"
work in the field....

I have seen "tough love" result in quite a few deaths.....

they no longer have a problem as they died from exposure to the cold winters we have in Ohio....

I don't have a high opinion of "tough love"...however such tough love does comfort the one dishing it out as they "think" they are helping

elvis44102
elvis44102

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:58 pm

Elvis, I think you're confusing "posting" from another thread of mine - nothing to do with forum posting. It has to do with job posting, but I said nothing about posting in this thread (?).

Tough love - I haven't a clue where you are coming from.

Yes I'm aware that we all wonder how those who were in a downward spiral have made out.

That's why I am trying to re-energize us... for god's sake! So go ahead and deflect what I've tried to promote. In doing so you will fit right in with what I've said.

macky

Back to top Go down

Post by elvis44102 Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:04 am

i was unemployed for an extensive time period...i updated my skill set
and for the last year have had numerous "small contracts".....

one thing i have been told by permanent employees is that what i do is not envious and may be harder than being employed pertmently
is that when coming onto any job we short timers have to rapidly adapt to company procedures....

so i suppose another myth is exposed "contract people are less than""

the reality for myself appears that i will be getting contracts somewhat on a regular basis with hopefully short periods of downtime....

I am grate full that at this time i have a contract that goes till February or so....(perhaps longer)...

having learned to live very cheaply i can save quite a bit of that income....
I am going to turn 57 shortly and think that this will go on for at least a little while...

this maybe industry specific i don't know....

i do know that when i was constantly updating my resume and applying
for twenty jobs a week with only a few interviews it was very disheartening

there were times when i totally gave up, but just for a few days maybe a week, but always to return sometimes feeling like a resume robot...

the main point i was making was that many of us have gone through thus same thing that's all.....

when i did finally start getting more hits on my resume and interviews/jobs

i did absolutely nothing different that when i got none..

THAT is the best advice i can give....just keep plugging away as i did in my semi-robotic resume posting, with updates (if only to fool the search engine)

but when it gets overwhelming take a little time off....and return refreshed.

i am looking at a marathon...not a sprint
most things in life are complex shades of gray.....they are not yes/no for/against... but rather shades of gray...
elvis44102
elvis44102

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:24 am

Elvis, you are pissing me off with your off the wall comments in this thread. Your comments are just weird.

macky

Back to top Go down

Post by elvis44102 Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:19 am

mackylebourne wrote:Elvis, you are pissing me off with your off the wall comments in this thread. Your comments are just weird.

macky

sorry to piss you off, i will try to quit posting on your threads...

and i do see the world in a seemingly different way than most, THANK god..

elvis44102
elvis44102

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:38 pm

Elvis, I truly apologize for choice of words and for me losing my temper. I was not in a very good mood yesterday and it showed in my rotten remark to you.

Please forgive me and please by no means stop discussing matters with me. You are very wise, quite witty, and I really enjoy what you post.

I'm really embarrassed and sorry.

macky

Back to top Go down

Post by elvis44102 Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:30 pm

we are ALL emotional at times....

for years i wished to be able to completely control my emotions....

Then i just recently learned that such control is a sort of hallmark of
severely mentally ill people....like Ted Bundy....

so on second thought occasional outburst of emotion seem preferable
to being a serial killer...
elvis44102
elvis44102

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:52 pm

Thank you Elvis... you have a way with words and such an interesting outlook on things - I love it!

macky

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:50 am

Remember when I said "post, post, post"? Well forget my advice. It was pretty much marl-icky, right?

Just sit off and enjoy the show. You all are the stars. Good luck!

macky

Back to top Go down

Post by elvis44102 Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:52 am

malarkey is the explanation the hooligans in business and government give you to cover there shenanigans....
elvis44102
elvis44102

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:05 pm

Ah, it's okay Elvis. I was just jesting with my good friend and neighbor Debbie Downer!

macky

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:35 pm

Okay, honest... just trying to lend some encouragement. We all can do it!

Okay, Suck It Up & Get That Job! Grannycopterxx

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:28 am

Okay, Suck It Up & Get That Job! Images16

Back to top Go down

Post by Kitten Keeper Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:11 pm

Elvis, I know what you mean about tough love, and I agree. People often seem to confuse "tough love" and just plain cruelty. Love is not tough. Love is tender. Tough love advocates aren't concerned about caring for the person who's been hurt. They're concerned about their own egos.

It's like being hit by a truck and lying there bleeding on the pavement, trying to figure out whether you can breathe, what's broken, and whether you're even going to live through it, and someone comes along and starts yelling, "what are you doing just lazing around on the ground? Come on, walk it off! You're not going to let a little thing like a truck set you back, are you? Come on! Let's see some spirit!"

Being unemployed can be a lot like getting hit by a truck. You're in shock. You have to stop and take stock and figure out what to do from there. Being long-term unemployed is like getting hit by a truck, then by a Impala, then by convertible, and finally by a bicycle. And when you're unemployed, it's harder to deal with emergencies that happen in the natural course of things, physically, psychologically, and financially.

And sometimes, all it takes is being finally hit by a skateboarder to fall down and not be able to, or not know how to, get up again.

I'm long-term unemployed (5+ years) AND I've been hit by a truck. So I guess that makes me an expert. :-|

Kitten Keeper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum