Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
May be working by Oct 15th? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
May be working by Oct 15th? EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
May be working by Oct 15th? EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
May be working by Oct 15th? EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
May be working by Oct 15th? EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
May be working by Oct 15th? EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
May be working by Oct 15th? EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
May be working by Oct 15th? EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
May be working by Oct 15th? EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
May be working by Oct 15th? EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
May be working by Oct 15th? EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
May be working by Oct 15th? EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
May be working by Oct 15th? EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
May be working by Oct 15th? EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
May be working by Oct 15th? EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

May be working by Oct 15th?

4 posters

Go down

May be working by Oct 15th? Empty May be working by Oct 15th?

Post by Sandra5yearsunemployed Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:39 pm

I had an interview on Sep 28th. I got the call on Monday Sep 24th for the interview. It seemed to me that this job was just handed to me on a platter.

I knew it was temporary and I knew it had no health benefits. I'm going into surgery soon. I already told him on my interview that my pre-op assessment day is the 10th of October. I told him that my surgery day would be after the 15th . . either the 18th or the 24th. And I told him my down time would be 2 days. That is IF I have laparoscopic surgery. If they need to open me up, my down time could be 1-2 weeks. And my job is a driver position.

If I take this job, it will leave me in a pickle. I'll have money coming in, but I'll lose my preventive health insurance. I'll no longer be able to get paps for FREE. I'd be made to LIE (I'm not sexually active) and I'd have to say I'm having "tons of sex" that way I can get a free pap every other year. The government does not consider abstinence a FORM of birth control. I'd be forced to pay for any preventive measures, like a mammogram. I'm 37. By the time I'm 40, will I not need one once every 2 or 3 years? (I had my first when I was 33, and I have another one scheduled for Oct 17th . . .I did NOT inform the interviewer of that appointment on the 17th). Mind you - the person that interviewed me, would be MY BOSS.

This position is kinda. .. well. . .they want people in "mental health recovery" since the clients are a little "low functioning" and they may even be homeless. I was diagnosed with depression when I was 16. Except for rare cases when I've been unemployed for 5 years . . I don't get depressed all that often. (You can see from my previous posts how hopeless I felt around Sep 9th 2012). So. . .he asked me "So your symptoms are under control?"

I'm thinking "What symptoms? I just need a job and my mild depression will go away, it is not like I hear voices or see people that are not there". So. . they want to make sure you are "good" mentally.

But do you think a company like this wants a person that is ready for work . . . . . .don't you'd think they'd be more likely to pass me up for the job since he wants me to start work on the 15th of October . . . .

and I have an appt on Sep 17th, surgery on the 18th, down for a few day, and THEN another appt on Sep 22nd to see a psychiatrist at 8am (which I already told him that see her once every 3 or 4 months). Everything is all scheduled in October. I can't help it that I saw my psychiatrist last in July! and I need to see her since I want to discuss getting off of my medication (only 1). I may be wasting my time with that since she is not a holistic MD . .and she may not know of anything else, except what she was trained in!

I mean. .. he did say to me on the interview in plain English "We want YOU for this position since you have experience in running groups and you have computer experience". I"m afraid that due to all of these appointment (that were set up 1-3 months in advance) will make him want to hire someone else.

The background check already came in. I got a copy of it in my email on Friday. . . yesterday! I knew it would be clear since I know my past and I know I've never been convicted of anything more than a simple speeding ticket i 2009. I didn't even have any points on my driving record since that was included in the background check! I'd just have to wear my glasses for driving since that is included in my background check, which I already have glasses and I wear them for everything, not just driving.

I'm just waiting for HR to call him . .and bam. I will be scheduled for a TB test, a drug test and may be a blood test???. . . .I don't know what else? But I can't go in and do ANY of that stuff on the 10th of October since I have a pre-op assessment at 10:30am and I was told that may take several hours. I will find out when I will be able to drive right after my surgery.

(The position is full-time 8am - 4:30pm, temporary, could last 1 month, could last 6 months. . .or 8 months, I'd be earning too much for county preventive health care. . .but I would be barely making enough to pay for insurance on my own. $12 an hour is okay. . .if they were to offer me health benefits! But I can't afford to pay $400 a month - no deductible. My G-d. .I looked up prices of insurance and if I had a deductible of say $2K. . .my monthly premium would go WAY DOWN to $200 or $150 per month. I can't AFFORD to pay a deductible of $2K! And you can't get anything covered if you don't pay that deductible!!!!

So. . I'm in a real pickle. I don't know what to do. If I don't let the county know that I have this job it would be consider FRAUD. I'd be earning too much to qualify for the county preventive health insurance. I'm not going to LIE and say I'm having sex with someone if I am not. I'm single and I'm not dating. I don't want them to think that I'm a freaking SLUT. . . .I'm not going to go out and have sex with a man just so I can have free paps . . .that is nuts.

Sorry for so much medical stuff, but I don't know what to do. I really need preventive care as a woman!
Sandra5yearsunemployed
Sandra5yearsunemployed

Back to top Go down

May be working by Oct 15th? Empty Re: May be working by Oct 15th?

Post by Guest Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:48 pm

S5, I hope you don't mind this interim post. I'm trying to get a grip on what you posted and I find myself all over the place. I'm really trying to understand your predicament.

Any chance you could bullet point your dilemma? This would help me.

You give great advice but I'm a bit lost in your situation.

Thanks and I'll keep trying to comprehend. Sorry.

macky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandra5yearsunemployed Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:23 am

mackylebourne wrote:S5,

Any chance you could bullet point your dilemma? This would help me.

You give great advice but I'm a bit lost in your situation.

Thanks and I'll keep trying to comprehend. Sorry.

macky

Sure can.
1. On Riverside County Health Care, a single person (family of one) can only earn up to $1207.00 gross a month. If that family of one makes over $1207.00 a month, you can't get on Riverside County Health Care plan.

2. RCHC covers women's preventive care. MISP does not cover women's preventive health care such as mammograms and paps.

3. If I take this job, I'd be earning $1900.00 a month gross, way over the limit for RCHC. If I take this job, I will earn too much to qualify for MISP. To qualify for RCHC, one can earn 133% of the federal poverty line. Under MISP, one can qualify if you make 200% of the federal poverty line. As a single person, I can earn $22,000 a year, but no more for MISP. If I earn more, I can't get on MISP. If I earn over $14,484 a year, I can't get RCHC.

4. I'd be earning $24,000 a year. There goes BOTH MISP and RCHC. I must renew my RCHC each year in Jan. The office that renews RCHC is the MISP office. They screen first for Medi-cal. If you don't meet the criteria for that, you are dropped down to MISP. If you don't meet the criteria for that, you go on RCHC for very low income people.

5. I'm having surgery October 18th or October 24th. I know I will need "after care" or something like that. Whatever it is called, I will need to see doctors for my female health. I'm sure they may want me to come in for some ultrasound or something. I can't just "have nothing". I will be in a "gap".

What gap? I will earn $2K too much each year to get crappy MISP . .. but I will not earn ENOUGH to pay for insurance on my own. Insurance out of my own pocket. . $400 a month. (In 2014 if Obama stays in office everything changes and I'd be able to pay for my own insurance based solely on income levels. And . .insurance companies will no longer be allowed to charge "more" for a woman's pre-existing condition such as "Rape", "pregnancy" or "domestic violence").

5. This job has NO HEALTH BENEFITS and it a temporary position. They do not know at all if it will last 5 months, 3 months or 2 months or a year. Someone is on medical leave and don't know if or when he is coming back. If I keep this job for a year and I say nothing and they find out, I'm in big shit.

I was told that I could "get away with" not saying anything to them (The MISP eligibility people, to determine if I make too much) if I kept my job for only a few months, say 3 or 4 months I may be able to "hide" this job and my income!!! But if I LIE to them and didn't tell "THEM" for an entire YEAR that I have a job, that would be different.

6. I can't just forget my woman's health stuff. I'm not a male. I need some kind of insurance. I'm having surgery this year. Now, if I had this surgery in Oct 2011 and if I was getting a job now. . I'd say "I had that surgery an entire year ago and I'm fine" but that is NOT the case. This cyst could grow back. I could have some kind of complications of this surgery.
May be the md would want me to come back in a month (around thanksgiving) and then come back in another 3 months after that (Fed 2013). I wouldn't be abel to "go back" to any county MD . .since I wouldn't qualify for health insurance since I'd earn $2K too much a year!!!

I can fill out the paper work. . .and lie. . .or I can tell the truth and turn in all of my pay stubs. . .They'd say "Okay, you earn too much, bye". I can't have a "new" doctor now. I'd have to pay for all of those medical files to be copied to my "new" md and I will not be able to afford to pay $366 a month on an income of $1400 - $1500 a month net. That would be 25% of my income! there is no way I can afford that. AND I don't know if this job will last 6 months or 9 months. How am I to know when that man is coming back from medical leave?

7. I'm also on foodstamps and the MISP office KNOWS THIS. I'd have to get a new bank account. . .and HIDE THAT from the MISP Office since they want to know how much $ you have in your bank account! If I have $500 or $800 in my current bank account from a paycheck, they'd ask "Why do you have so much?" I'd have to LIE about everything. the job, how much I earn, food stamps, everything.

8. I have to inform DPSS of my job, so I'd lose my food stamps. I don't care about losing those. I can afford to pay $300 a month in food. However, I'm not sure if the MISP office could FIND OUT that my food stamps are stopped.
If I don't report my income, it is considered fraud.

But I can't be without some kind of health insurance. Not a few months after surgery. Jan is just around the corner. If this surgery was in Feb 2012, that would be so very different! Each year, I must renew in Jan. The only way I may be able to stay on MISP is if I claim my mom as a "Dependent" and I don't know if I can do that since she is not "my child" and MISP may not recognize my mom as a "dependent". If I could claim her, then I'd be able to earn $30K a year with a family of 2.

Also: I really don't want this job. I don't want to drive 5 to 6 hours a day and I don't want to "teach groups". However, I believe seeing a paycheck of $384 net for 40 hours of week. . . may give me enough want to - to take the job. I haven't seen money like that since I worked overtime and I never earned $12 an hour - ever.
I'm very concerned about my female health. If it was not for my surgery this year . . I wouldn't be concerned at all and I'd take the job and I wouldn't even think about applying for anything. (OH, MISP county insurance is for emergency health only and for people on medication. I'm on medication, but MISP does not cover the SSRI I'm on nor does MISP cover mental health services! Another reason I need to be on RCHC, it covers mental health services and I'd need to find out if the County Mental Health would take me as a client on MISP!!!).

Kinda off topic, but I called a psychic around Sep 21st . .since this thing was offered for "free" for "5 mins only" and (LOL) the lady psychic said "I see you getting a job offer in late October, but this job will be a little below you, you will not like this job, but the job will allow you to pay a few bills, it will not allow you to pay for everything and If you don't take this job, I don't see another job opening up for you, until August 2013." I'm kinda thinking it is a self fulfilling prophecy . . . I may have believed her and made that happen. . . soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo I don't know what to do! No No
Sandra5yearsunemployed
Sandra5yearsunemployed

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:50 am

Yes, this is indeed perplexing. One question that is really too personal to ask here but should be an overriding factor is - think about whatever income you make now (you don't say, but if you're on food stamps you don't make much) versus what you could make in the next few months or years; even if you have to make insurance payments.

Is it possible to delay your employment until after the surgery? Obviously it doesn't make sense to have a start date on about the same day you'll be out having an operation. And you really need to tell your future employer of this operation.

Another thought would be to discuss with your current doctor a "what if" scenario... like "if I happen to get a job...". Try to determine the probable out of pocket expenses for the follow-up visits and the doctor may have some good advice for you... like alternate clinics or avenues for the follow-ups.

Still thinking...

macky

Back to top Go down

Post by DesperateInRI Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:54 am

I wouldn't make any decisions based on the advice of a psychic.

Is there any way this surgery can be put off for a while and control the problem with meds? You are fortunate that you have some kind of coverage right now, and choosing between a job, that may or may not become permanent, and tending to your personal health is a predicament I would not want to be in.

My state offers no medical assistance if you are under 65 and have no children under 18. I have had no health insurance in 4 years. Recently, I tried to purchase some on my own for a short time, but because I have a very common pre-existing condition, hypertension, NO ONE WOULD COVER ME! About a month ago, I broke two bones on the top of my foot. Sure, I was treated at the ER, they bandaged it and sent me home. No follow up. I can't even wear a real pair of shoes because the bones are sticking up! I need to see a doctor for other reasons also, but I can't because I don't want another "preexisting condition".

I hate to say this, but based on what I've been through, don't take the job. Your health is more important. It really is pitiful that we are put in positions like this in our country today. Hopefully, I can hang in there til I find a job with benefits or Obamacare kicks in for situations like this in 2014.

DesperateInRI
DesperateInRI
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:33 pm

I think this comes down to Sandra's current ability to sustain herself, income-wise or by other means. Just adding to the equation to be considered...

macky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandra5yearsunemployed Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:53 pm

mackylebourne wrote:Yes, this is indeed perplexing. One question that is really too personal to ask here but should be an overriding factor is - think about whatever income you make now (you don't say, but if you're on food stamps you don't make much) versus what you could make in the next few months or years; even if you have to make insurance payments.

Another thought would be to discuss with your current doctor a "what if" scenario... like "if I happen to get a job...". Try to determine the probable out of pocket expenses for the follow-up visits and the doctor may have some good advice for you... like alternate clinics or avenues for the follow-ups.

Still thinking...

macky

Yes, right now today, I am not working. Right now, I earn about $110 a month. This is why I have EBT/food stamps. But this guy wants me to start working by Oct 15th (highly doubt that would happen since I have yet to take the TB test and drug test and the tb test, you must return 2-3 days later to get a reading) . . . so, If I get the drug test and tb done by the 11th or 12th. . .I'd have to return by the 15th or 16th for them to read it. Then I have my mammogram on the 17th at 2pm and then . . .the 18th . . . .I'm thinking 'There is no way I can start work until after Sep 22nd, or start latter in the day on Sep 22nd. I have an appt on the 22nd too, but that is only 30 mins and down the street from where I live. Not out of town like the medical center is.

I could ask the MD as "What if" question. I'll ask him how much after care I'd need and for how long and I'll inform him that I'd probably lose my RCHC and MISP since I'd be making too much for both once I get this job. The MD may advise me to do whatever I can to make sure that I have insurance for 6 months after surgery. . .which would be April 2013. I know the surgeon will tell me of the possible risks or surgery. . and one of them is the possibility of a cyst growing back. I'm not too sure how fast that happens though since this one started really small in 2007 and then got bigger by Dec 2011. I highly doubt this is cancer, but I know the doc will also have to tell me "If we find cancer, we will need to take out xy and z" and he will need to tell me all of this so I can sign that consent form.

. . .NOt to mention for the TB test. . .I'd have to drive out to HEMET to get the test AND back to Hemet for them to READ the darn thing. t's not like I have all kinds of gas money to get out there with gas prices being $4.75 a gallon in California with this oil refinery issue/supply issue in CA!. I'm thinking that I may use up all the $50 for gas (from the Dept of Rehab) within 2 weeks just to get the employer required tests. If that happens, I will not be able to volunteer on MOnday 15th or Monday the 29th. . .I guess this is life. .. and I guess this happens to many many people - everything at once.
Sorry for all caps. . .but
MAN, THIS IS CRAZY.
Sandra5yearsunemployed
Sandra5yearsunemployed

Back to top Go down

Post by elvis44102 Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:55 pm

I have gone for many drug tests the last few years, on this last one i asked how long? They told me that the results were obtained within hours
and they would call the number i gave them if a "problem" came up...

they didn't even ask me what medications i was taking that might conflict.
if that came up they would call shortly...NO call came so i suppose i passed...This was Qwest diagnostics nationwide..

I had a background checks comeback anywhere from overnight to almost a week....as i understand those a bunch of mom-and-pop organizations do them a whole nother topic..

anyway i believe you are worrying about thins to much....
elvis44102
elvis44102

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandra5yearsunemployed Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:14 pm

elvis44102 wrote:I have gone for many drug tests the last few years, on this last one i asked how long? They told me that the results were obtained within hours and they would call the number i gave them if a "problem" came up...

anyway i believe you are worrying about thins to much....

I do worry too much. My questions I've had (about my surgery) since July 19th have yet to be answered (they should be answered by Oct 10th).

I was already told from a former employee there that the employer has their own place/medical center where they send all prospective employees for the urine test and tb test. I was told it is in Hemet, not where I live. Not too far, but also not walking distance either unless one can walk 18 miles one way. Not worried about the urine test and tb test for employment though. That is the last thing on my mind.

The only thing on my mind is my surgery and my after care. . .and I can't wait until Oct 10th. . .when I can ask the surgeon all of my questions, especially what position I will be in, since my hip won't move and flex all the way open due to a hip injury when I was 13.

The job is not even on my mind, but I know Jeff still wants me to start asap. My health is much more important than starting work before the 18th/24th.
Sandra5yearsunemployed
Sandra5yearsunemployed

Back to top Go down

Post by elvis44102 Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:10 pm

yes your health is THE most important thing....

I am a somewhat recovered "chronic worrier".....i have found that i used to worry about every conceivable thing imaginable....

i would convince myself that something would happen in such a way, and then base another worry on that imagined outcome....in my case it was a form of controlling a situation i do believe...

it took a lot of work, but now i just do the best i can and leave the rest for tomorrow
elvis44102
elvis44102

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:12 am

Hi S5,

I've been wondering how you have been making out. Are you to start working tomorrow? Have you worked out your medical concerns?

Hope all is well!

macky

Back to top Go down

Post by need_a_break Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:12 am

I would go with what you can handle and use your common sense to help you. I am like you I tend to worry a lot but if I find people that will help me to florish then go in that direction and let them do it. I will help them too, when I can. But do not ignore preparation and knowledge.

Your health is very important, try as hard as you can to maintain it.

need_a_break

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:05 pm

Sandra, haven't heard from you in days. Hope all is okay with you!

macky

Back to top Go down

May be working by Oct 15th? Empty Yeah, I'm back from Sep 2012

Post by Sandra5yearsunemployed Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:14 pm

Guest wrote:Sandra, haven't heard from you in days. Hope all is okay with you!

macky

Well, I'm back. I had to get off of this website since in Sep 2012 I fell into a very deep depression since all I did was think "I'm unemployed" or "When will someone hire me" and I did get that job and I did start Oct 15th and I did work TWO DAYS and I did have to go into the medical center on Oct 17th for my blood work - and for a mammogram.

And yes, I did have my surgery on Oct 18th to remove my ovarian cyst and right ovary.
So what did I do with the job? Well, I couldn't get the TB test on the 17th since I was in Moreno Valley that day. I couldn't get it the 15th or 16th -- since I would have had to return to hemet on the 18th or 19th. I couldn't return to Hemet on the 18th or 19th. Why? I was in the hospital on the 18th and 19th and I had surgery on the 18th and I didn't get out of the hospital until 4pm Friday the 19th.

So that job lasted 2 days. I should have never accepted the position since I knew it was a van driver position and I knew my surgery was coming up real fast when I had my interview. I should have told them "I can't start when you want since I have surgery coming up right when you want me to start".

I'm still looking for work and I am still doing the (silly) National Alliance on Mental Illness practice your speech meetings for $30 or $40 every other Friday and I'm still on the mental health board and I still get paid $.55 CENT per mile for that. I still get about $80 - $120 a month depending on the month.

The only thing that is different is that I'm one year older (I just had my b--day a few weeks ago), I'm getting more interviews now and now Celebrate: Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Arrow Arrow 
and . . . .
I'm getting ready for a total hip replacement around Aug 19th 2013. I wanted to get it done last year (2012) but my ovarian cyst got in the way and I had to take care of that since it was growing! Boy am I glad that thing (the size of an apricot) is now gone. I didn't realize how much pain I was in until I woke up - and had no pain!

So, I'm not staying on this website. I can't. If I focus on me being unemployed, I'll get all depressed all over again. I can't do that. I have to exercise to lose 10 pounds before surgery. I only have less than 1 month for surgery!
Sandra
Sandra5yearsunemployed
Sandra5yearsunemployed

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down