» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Wed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:01 pm by member

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:33 am by 

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

» things are going to get worst
Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:51 pm by 

Social Networks
December 2016
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

New here and Disheartened

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New here and Disheartened

Post by Aletia on Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:35 pm

Hi everyone,

I am a recent graduate with an MSW and live in NYC. I have been trying to find a job for the past four months and feel very hopeless and depressed. I have run out of money and have been relying on my bf to help me live (food, phone bill, rent, etc). I have been seeing a therapist to deal with anxiety and depression and have upped my current medication.

Even though I am doing the right things, I have been feeling very depressed with no hope for the future. I feel like I have no experience and am not confident in my abilities as a social worker. I am even questioning getting into this field. I feel like I paid all this money for education for nothing, and can't even get a crappy job bc I am too overqualified.

I feel like I just need one break, one person to trust me. It has never been so hard to find a job before, I just don't know what is going on. I have always been able to find a job within a month. I feel like this is all my fault and if I was a better person, I would be able to get a job.

Everything seems so bleak right now. I just want to find a job so I can be of help to others and so I can enjoy life. I am worried that I will never find a job or that the job I will find I will hate or will cause me way too much stress.

I am just holding out and hoping and am trying to be strong, but I feel like I am doomed.

Aletia

Back to top Go down

Re: New here and Disheartened

Post by elvis44102 on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:31 pm

""I feel like I just need one break, one person to trust me. It has never been so hard to find a job before, I just don't know what is going on. I have always been able to find a job within a month. I feel like this is all my fault and if I was a better person, I would be able to get a job.""

welcome to the forum.....

You only need one person to give you a break, is the way i have felt for years.....only the actual person who hires you is all you need...

It is not your fault, just keep plugging away it will happen...

i just got a contract for at least three months after a few months since my last contract of a similar nature....this is after countless applications and interviews and whatnot....

I honestly haven't done anything different than before and i don't even know if i contacted this agency first or they saw my resume online....

that's the way it goes,,,lots of promises and phone calls so that when a real job comes, one almost cant believe it....

elvis44102

Back to top Go down

Post by MarilynL on Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:36 pm

Aletia, don't be disheartened! Don't give up! Hang in there like the rest of us, because you are not alone, and there are many who know what you are going thru. Someday, when you make it big in the world, you'll remember these days, and maybe you can help others who will be going thru similar situations as this. Hopefully, somebody will write a book about this, because our stories certainly need to be told.

Feel free to vent anytime on here...we are listening, although I don't know where everyone is; except for Elvis and I, it seems we are the only ones listening.

MarilynL

Back to top Go down

Post by Aletia on Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:04 am

Thank you guys, it's really nice to know that people care and are experiencing the same things. It's really great to have some positive feedback...... I always seem to think that everything is my fault and I am the only person in the world who feels this way! It is good to get perspective.

Aletia

Back to top Go down

Post by Jobless_in_Ma on Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:02 am

Welcome Aletia, just to reiterate what Marilyn and Elvis said; you are not alone in this mess. Feel free to vent away.

Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org

Back to top Go down

Post by need_a_break on Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:36 pm

It's not that some of us don't care. Some of us are facing major crap going on in our lives. To come to this forum is not always easy. But we find time to try to uplift others when we can.

I am facing a lot, but handling it the best way that I can.

Aletia, just because you may not hear from anyone and think that no one is listening, it may not be the case.

A lot of us are fighting the best way we can.

I don't know how much longer, I can hold out but I just keep moving forward.

I just read an article that said that the blame for the financial crisis is the fault of the baby-boomers. It makes me so tired to have to defend myself for being a baby-boomer. I did not help to cause this mess.

I feel alone sometimes, but coming here helps.

I wish it wasn't necessary to wish you a welcome to this forum. But I will say hi, instead.

need_a_break

Back to top Go down

Post by elvis44102 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:08 pm

by need_a_break Yesterday at 2:36 pm

""just read an article that said that the blame for the financial crisis is the fault of the baby-boomers. It makes me so tired to have to defend myself for being a baby-boomer. I did not help to cause this mess.""

the system did not fail.....

during ww1 average people bought war bonds and received a dividend,
being introduced to high finance for the first time WALL STREET saw a vast untapped source of money and the average man put cash in the stock market.....

mostly little people lost their money in the 1929 crash...NOT BIG PLAYERS...

that was by design....the financial system is a giant transference of wealth UPWARDS....

same thing happened this last time.....this is the SYSTEM if there is any blame, it is that not enough people are aware of it....

historically maybe 20-30 percent of the population is aware, not enough to change it.....

what really gets me is the republicans harping about wealth distribution downwards.....

as though this little attempt to even out a totally corrupt transference upward
is EVIL....and lecturing about morality..to boot!

elvis44102

Back to top Go down

Post by JadeBlue on Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:14 pm

Don't give up, you have so much of your career ahead of you. Imagine not getting anything for 4 years! Definitely never regret the decision to go into a noble field like social work.

I know how it feels to feel like a bad person, and you just want that one chance, but it has been even worse for me because I was pretty much fired from my last two jobs. I seriously thought I was a terrible teacher and that I should never have kids of my own based on one of my employers' comments, but I've realized some things since then, mostly about the environment and personality of my boss. Not to mention, when I finally went back to a classroom, a teacher I've worked with before was forced to take paid leave by her school because she freaked out at a student. But she came back and did her job well, so it can definitely happen to the best.

NYC is hard city to make it in, but if you can stick it out, you're doing better than any of us here, I am sure.

BTW, where have you been searching? I mean, it depends what you want to focus on, but schools are in definite need of good social workers and NYC has a plethora of districts- you just need to look on education tailored sites.

JadeBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 11:32 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum