» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Wed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:01 pm by member

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:33 am by 

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

» things are going to get worst
Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:51 pm by 

Social Networks
September 2016
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

GUYS! I FINALLY GOT A JOB!!!

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

GUYS! I FINALLY GOT A JOB!!!

Post by Sierraman on Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:13 pm

First topic message reminder :

Yes, you read right, i got a job at Wal-Mart as a cashier, I went in for an interview, got passed for 2 more and got an offer on the spot! Now i know Wal-Mart may not be the most popular company in the world for a number of reasons! But i am just so Damn happy, i have pay again! I am crying right now!

Sierraman

Back to top Go down

Re: GUYS! I FINALLY GOT A JOB!!!

Post by Guest on Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:12 pm

Sierraman wrote:What do you guys think of me working for Wal-Mart? i know its not the most beloved company on the planet and it gets a lot of controversy.
I am kind of nervous about that fact.

Sierraman, don't worry. Just promise to split your check with us and we'll be fine! Just kidding with you!

Seriously though, what everyone has said is so true. Our world has changed and not many companies stand without controversy. You need to be thrilled with the thought of going to work, not having such an uncertain future, the intrinsic goodness of working around other people, your spirits lifted as you feel "whole" again, and the ability to take care of yourself and others in your life a little more than you've been able to lately.

I'm just so happy for you! Working at Walmart is not like 10 years ago, when as an employee you had to smile and say hello to each customer and be "un-human". Now Walmart employees cut in front of customers to get to the break room or go outside to have a smoke. It's all been Americanized, no worries!

"Greed". It's all over the world. Do your job and be someone who stands out. What I just said about Walmart employees is generally the shift that has occurred, but I find them very down to earth and nice people - people like you and me.

And this is just to make you laugh but it's true - if you are REALLY lucky you'll be a cashier in the electronics and toy section this holiday. Then you'll really see "America the Great" at her finest. Pushing, shoving, fighting over the last iPod or Nintendo game. You'll want to pack up, learn chop sticks, and head to the other side of the world!

But please don't. Its only a passing thing!

GOOD LUCK! You'll do great!!!

macky

Back to top Go down

Post by wausauguy on Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:35 pm

Congratulations.... the faults of WalMart are not really that much more than most employers. I have heard very positive things abut working for WalMart. So I am sure it will be great for you.

wausauguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sierraman on Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:09 am

Two more days, I AM SO NERVOUS!!!!

Sierraman

Back to top Go down

Post by wausauguy on Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:59 am

I know how I felt when I started working again just a few months ago. It is still so different. I worry every day about being late and such. I do think long term unemployment for me has created some near irrational fears. I have to breath deep and go with the flow.

You will do great. For me it is so good to be back working again. Even when there are the usual dramas at work, I can easily remind myself of how great it is to not feel desperate and such. I have a job is such a powerful statement and you now HAVE JOB TOO.

Keep us posted.

J

wausauguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sierraman on Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:30 pm

Ok, I finally got back from my orientation and the experience was very interesting to say the least. I learned about the Wal-mart cheer, Which i did not know exist. Everybody seemed very friendly, the company is also very strict about clocking in and out. and i also get discounts on entertainment tickets, movie tickets and concert tickets. Definitely different from the bad press i have heard. i am officially relieved.

Sierraman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sierraman on Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:48 pm

One other thing: How do i deal with the fact that some people say that they have terrible customer service or that they hate Wal-Mart?

Sierraman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:59 pm

Say nothing. Walmart's reputation is not your doing or problem.

The least discussed the better... you need to keep that job. If you don't comment then there's nothing a "back stabber" can truthfully take forward.

Sir, you're thinking too hard. You should proud to have secured a job - the hell with anyone else's opinion.

macky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sierraman on Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:17 pm

You're right, I just have a bad habit of taking every thing personally.

Sierraman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:43 pm

I have a boyfriend who knows a very senior oil and gas executive. This VP said that if he lost his job tomorrow he would flip burgers at Wendys or MacDonalds if he had to. Anything to keep he and his family afloat.

And the irony of people who boohoo Walmart is that you'll catch most of them shopping there on a constant basis.

Anyways I hope you are enjoying your new job. Standing on one's feet all day sure takes some getting used to!

macky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sierraman on Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:35 am

Alright, after 3 days of being on the computer all day for training(The most boring part of the job) I finally got to be out for an hour before my shift ended to train a little on the register and it wasn't that bad, easier then i expected, and if you are friendly it will make customers happier and your job a lot easier.

It's kind of funny how people say Walmart does all of these things to their employees and while I can't speak for the entire company, from my experience, those things simply are not true.

Sierraman

Back to top Go down

Post by elvis44102 on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:40 pm

you should not worry about "what other people say".......

for one there seems to be a common attitude that we are "all entitled to our opinion" which although technically true does not make an "unlearned" opinion equally deserving of merit as a well thought out opinion...

you should do the best possible on your job, and give an honest and full days work, and realize that being young you will not be there forever....

elvis44102

Back to top Go down

Post by Sierraman on Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:15 am

It's just funny how it works, When i posted the fact that i got a job on Facebook, one of my friends immediately suggested that people would hate me for working at Walmart and all of the sudden that brought up a whole debate on Wal-Mart. All that I can say to people is that, I am only a 19 year old kid who needs a job, I am not responsible for Walmart's ethics or alleged wrongdoings, from my 5 days of working at the store, the company seems like a very good place to work for and i am paid above minimum wage. and not one person has reacted negatively when i tell them i work for Walmart, they think it's very cool, actually.

Sierraman

Back to top Go down

Post by MarilynL on Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:31 am

I don't think there is any place in the world that hasn't had some negatives to being employed there...but I think it all started many years ago, when Walmart started to expand all over the country, and eventually ruined many small privately owned businesses with their cheap prices, and many manufacturing businesses with their refusal to pay manufacturing costs for the products they made. I was employed at one of those manufacturing plants, and saw how difficult it was to have them as a customer, because they refused to not only allow us to make a profit on what we produced for them, but they often wanted us to sell to them for less than what it cost for us to make the products. Needless to say we didn't do business with them. But many manufacturing companies did, and they lost their shirts. Also, when they started to come around, alot of companies were scared and called them the "retail king" knowing that were going to try and take over the entire retail market. Kmart struggled for awhile because of them, but they were able to bounce back. It's not good to not have competition out there, and many were afraid that Walmart would stifle all other competition, and they would have the ultimate control of retail. Some towns even protest to have them build in their city...my town did...but they ended up building on the outskirts of it anyway. As one person posted - no matter how many complaints people have for Walmart, those very same people will shop there.

As an employee, I, for one, only want to be treated fairly, and with respect, and not a slave... I would've accepted a job at Walmart as well, and if I found that their ethics weren't on the up and up, then I'd quit...but I would've never rejected the possibility that they were a good place to work unless I had proof that they weren't

MarilynL

Back to top Go down

Post by Sierraman on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:53 pm

OK, so i trained a little bit on the register yesterday and a customer came up and phrased our customer service. and yet every time i go on the internet or yelp or one of those websites they always say "WALMART EMPLOYEES ARE RUDE AND STUFF BLAHBLAH" well, my opinion is bad customer service is everywhere, i just do my best! Right now i am just sick of looking at all of the articles bashing Walmart because they say they treat their workers badly when that it isn't the case for me, all of the managers are nice so far and all of the employees say they like their jobs.

The world is weird sometimes.

Sierraman

Back to top Go down

Post by Aletia on Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:39 pm

I am so happy you found a job! From my experience at wallmart, I feel like the customers are often quite rude....but I have also experienced staff that is rude(as in inattentive and uncaring) as well. However, I don't think it quite matters all that much....people are people, and we all have our bad days. My view is just to be cordial to everyone, because I feel that it is always good to be respectful and compassionate, and often people will calm down or change tacks once they feel they are heard. I also feel that the def of "rude" changes from person to person.... Some people are a lot more sensitive. Anyway, I am glad things are working out, and congrats again!

Aletia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:02 am

In no uncertain terms, Walmart makes their customer service the bowels of their customer experience. Full stop.

Congrats on kinda learning a register. Like my head hurts. You are doing good!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sierraman on Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:25 am

mackylebourne wrote:In no uncertain terms, Walmart makes their customer service the bowels of their customer experience. Full stop.

Congrats on kinda learning a register. Like my head hurts. You are doing good!

I didn't quite understand that metaphor.

Sierraman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:02 am

Oh Sierraman, it was one of those nights. I sometimes look back at what I've said and I think "goofy me".

I certainly didn't mean anything about you. As you know, Walmart asks their employees to be cheerful and "customer oriented" in every department - except the "returns' customer service section. It's there that they are well known to understaff and have customers wait in large lines just to return items. Very frustrating for everyone. Very much a contrast from the rest of the store - but not the fault of the workers in that section. That's what I meant.

But overall, as I've said to you before, Walmart employees are "real" and good people. I was an employee once and since then I'm even more so aware of the environment.

Oh, lol! There was something about running a cash register that actually did make my head hurt. I hated the thing!

macky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sierraman on Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:52 pm

Oh, no worries, it's ok, i think that the same can be said about shhh target.

Sierraman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:46 pm

Sierraman wrote:Oh, no worries, it's ok, i think that the same can be said about shhh target.

That's right! But shhhh, because another good member just started there... you're IN TROUBLE!!!! LOL

Very Happy

macky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sierraman on Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:24 am

I will just say this the worst and best parts about the job are the customers, like today, this woman was trying to buy 4 apples and the person i was shadowing rang her up and put them on the scale, the woman kept complaining the cashier was overcharging her for an apple when it was the scales fault, she got really angry and irate, so she had to go to customer service, ughhh it was a mess.

also one other thing, unfortunately guys, not a lot of interesting people of walmart sightings yet. sorry

Sierraman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:30 am

SMan, glad to hear you're "in the groove" now Very Happy

Apples, smapples; some people complain about everything. "small potatoes".

I told you, wait until the holidays - and the selfishness and greed! Wahoo!

Have a good day at work... don't throttle any customers!!! Embarassed

macky

Back to top Go down

Post by elvis44102 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:46 pm

Sierraman wrote:I will just say this the worst and best parts about the job are the customers, like today, this woman was trying to buy 4 apples and the person i was shadowing rang her up and put them on the scale, the woman kept complaining the cashier was overcharging her for an apple when it was the scales fault, she got really angry and irate, so she had to go to customer service, ughhh it was a mess.

also one other thing, unfortunately guys, not a lot of interesting people of walmart sightings yet. sorry

when i delivered pizza a few customers were repeat idiots....i would chip in a quarter or 50 cents....and politely tell them not to order any more...

i only did this to the REPEAT dumbbells and my boss fully backed me up as he was also aware of them.....

since this was your first experience with this women, AND because you work at a GIANT conglomeration....you probably would get in trouble for this "common sense" approach

elvis44102

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:24 pm

Hey Elvis,

Could I order a large vegetarian pizza please? Please bring a few dollars to help me pay because I'm gonna kick you in the shins and curse up and down so I get a discount! lol

You're funny!

Very Happy

macky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sierraman on Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:50 am

Apparantly, so far the most difficult part about the job is just the reputation, (Dealing with people who think you or anyone else who is associated with Walmart like shoppers is dumb, I have learned this on my facebook) thanks to websites like people of Walmart.

Sierraman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 7:20 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top