Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Planned Obsolescence aka The Lightbulb Conspiracy EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Planned Obsolescence aka The Lightbulb Conspiracy EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Planned Obsolescence aka The Lightbulb Conspiracy EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Planned Obsolescence aka The Lightbulb Conspiracy EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Planned Obsolescence aka The Lightbulb Conspiracy EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Planned Obsolescence aka The Lightbulb Conspiracy EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Planned Obsolescence aka The Lightbulb Conspiracy EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Planned Obsolescence aka The Lightbulb Conspiracy EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Planned Obsolescence aka The Lightbulb Conspiracy EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Planned Obsolescence aka The Lightbulb Conspiracy EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Planned Obsolescence aka The Lightbulb Conspiracy EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Planned Obsolescence aka The Lightbulb Conspiracy EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Planned Obsolescence aka The Lightbulb Conspiracy EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Planned Obsolescence aka The Lightbulb Conspiracy EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Planned Obsolescence aka The Lightbulb Conspiracy EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Planned Obsolescence aka The Lightbulb Conspiracy

3 posters

Go down

Planned Obsolescence aka The Lightbulb Conspiracy Empty Planned Obsolescence aka The Lightbulb Conspiracy

Post by jerkyspace Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:52 pm

Last edited by jerkyspace on Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

jerkyspace

Back to top Go down

Planned Obsolescence aka The Lightbulb Conspiracy Empty Re: Planned Obsolescence aka The Lightbulb Conspiracy

Post by elvis44102 Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:58 pm

supposedly printers by some manufacters have firmware that causes them to fail after so much use...this can be disabled
elvis44102
elvis44102

Back to top Go down

Planned Obsolescence aka The Lightbulb Conspiracy Empty Re: Planned Obsolescence aka The Lightbulb Conspiracy

Post by snday Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:42 pm

I am not clear about it.

snday

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:22 pm

I have to laugh when I read all these stories about the discontinuance of the incandescent lamp and certain flourescents.

In the 80's, 90's through 2001 I worked for Graybar Electric, doing lighting as my primary sales duty, along with other things. The EPA, Government along with consumer watchdogs all agreed that with the amount of power needed and being used in the US alone that something had to be done to save precious energy, particularly since the grids are old and overworked. These compacts flourescents, the energy saving ballasts and flourscent tubes were the best answer and could conserve the most energy while also saving on cooling systems due to the heat these older types of lamps generate. The newer models while more expensive, last for years, generate far less heat and use 13 watts compared to the 60-100 watt incandescents. It really wasn't a conspiracy, it was an effort to relieve the overworked grids. Many people don't like them but sooner or later, we will all be using them unless we find other ways to cut back on electricity and cooling. No one was trying to keep people from buying cheaper lamps, it really was an effort to conserve energy. I was on the committee and I would not lie about this. In addition, the added benefit of being safer was an after thought. Many fixtures using older types of high heat producing lamps have caused fires and serious burns. Again, you can still buy regular incandescents and flourescents, but they have to be the ES (energy saving type). The old basement F40 fixtures have been replaced with F32 ballasts and lamps, they run cooler and use 8 watts less. The low heat incandescents such as the A100's are now A100/80es, they use 80 watts instead of 100.

As far as safety goes, yes, Westinghouse/Phillips, GE, Sylvania/Osram are the recommended brands as opposed to Lights of America, ABBA, etc. Lights of America used substandard materials and was sued by Marriott after a devasting hotel fire in the early 90's. Sometimes, store brands are safe, some aren't. One way to tell for sure, if they burn hot, burn out well before their expected life, best not to use that brand. As tough as it is financially for most of us, Dollar Store brand lamps are a no-no for sure. It's just not a safe bet. Same for and small strands of lights at Christmas. If you touch them and they are hot, don't use them, they really are a fire risk. That is the #1 reason they wanted to get people away from the old fashioned C9 large white and colored bulbs, they burn hot and cause fires that we all sadly hear at Christmas, it's not the wiring it's the heat.

Now that I've put you all to sleep or in a coma, lol, have a great day.

Back to top Go down

Planned Obsolescence aka The Lightbulb Conspiracy Empty ...

Post by jerkyspace Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:00 pm

... ... ... ... ... ... ...

Last edited by jerkyspace on Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

jerkyspace

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:24 pm

no offense taken. Didn't see it, thanks for correcting me.

I think most of us know on the forum, we are a throw away society, since most of us have been "thrown away" for cheaper, shinier, newer models.

Thanks for correcting me jerkyspace.

Back to top Go down

Post by elvis44102 Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:23 pm

Planned Obsolescence was also a serious proposal to end the Great depression of the 1930's.

Keynesian economic policies say the government should pump money into the economy in time of stagnation/depression... along a similar vein a British economist recommended putting people to work making "cheap" often replaceable units as a way to stimulate jobs...

Cant remember his name, but the idea was rejected...

elvis44102
elvis44102

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum