Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Jobs Report: When Will Things Get Better For Older Workers Who've Lost Their Jobs?  EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Jobs Report: When Will Things Get Better For Older Workers Who've Lost Their Jobs?  EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Jobs Report: When Will Things Get Better For Older Workers Who've Lost Their Jobs?  EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Jobs Report: When Will Things Get Better For Older Workers Who've Lost Their Jobs?  EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Jobs Report: When Will Things Get Better For Older Workers Who've Lost Their Jobs?  EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Jobs Report: When Will Things Get Better For Older Workers Who've Lost Their Jobs?  EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Jobs Report: When Will Things Get Better For Older Workers Who've Lost Their Jobs?  EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Jobs Report: When Will Things Get Better For Older Workers Who've Lost Their Jobs?  EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Jobs Report: When Will Things Get Better For Older Workers Who've Lost Their Jobs?  EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Jobs Report: When Will Things Get Better For Older Workers Who've Lost Their Jobs?  EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Jobs Report: When Will Things Get Better For Older Workers Who've Lost Their Jobs?  EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Jobs Report: When Will Things Get Better For Older Workers Who've Lost Their Jobs?  EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Jobs Report: When Will Things Get Better For Older Workers Who've Lost Their Jobs?  EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Jobs Report: When Will Things Get Better For Older Workers Who've Lost Their Jobs?  EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Jobs Report: When Will Things Get Better For Older Workers Who've Lost Their Jobs?  EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Jobs Report: When Will Things Get Better For Older Workers Who've Lost Their Jobs?

5 posters

Go down

Jobs Report: When Will Things Get Better For Older Workers Who've Lost Their Jobs?  Empty Jobs Report: When Will Things Get Better For Older Workers Who've Lost Their Jobs?

Post by Guest Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:34 pm

Even before the Great Recession, older workers were more likely than younger ones to be unemployed for six months or longer, but their prospects have worsened. While roughly a quarter of older jobless people passed the six-month mark in 2007, in 2011 more than half did, according to new report by the National Employment Law Project, a worker advocacy group. And for 2011, 4 in 10 older workers were unemployed for a full year, which is still the case, according to the latest data for February.

Job ads starkly reveal discrimination by employment status, with wording specifying that applicants must be currently employed. "Because this kind of discrimination is more likely to affect those who have been out of work for the longest amount of time, older workers are more likely to be its victims," the National Employment Law Project report states.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/09/jobs-report-unemployment-older-workers_n_1333699.html#access_token=AAAAACuIpepUBAK6MYWBNsXa2kEX4AlAYyGXEZBEZCatvghdcLQbtiDc1zW32GsgNLZBaTs5Y595JO6v0rSRe48LBdA4gFN9TRA2VrIFXtTJHSgZCOoDw&expires_in=5519

Back to top Go down

Jobs Report: When Will Things Get Better For Older Workers Who've Lost Their Jobs?  Empty Re: Jobs Report: When Will Things Get Better For Older Workers Who've Lost Their Jobs?

Post by carlch Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:56 pm

Desperate, Thanks for posting this article -- I've mentioned the challenge older workers face here and on the former forum. It's my opinion that we have been purged from the job market in this new economy. I was lucky to have worked for a former company most of 2011, but there was not a day that went by that "age" was not discussed. I was not accepted by the 30-40 something executive team despite my contribution and appearance. And the over 50 female colleagues were obsessed with trying to appear younger with faces full of botox. Really scary to see someone who looked the same as they did 20 years ago. This is the way of it in California.

Last edited by carlch on Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:59 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : sentence restructure)

carlch

Back to top Go down

Jobs Report: When Will Things Get Better For Older Workers Who've Lost Their Jobs?  Empty Re: Jobs Report: When Will Things Get Better For Older Workers Who've Lost Their Jobs?

Post by Henrys Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:00 pm

carlch,
I'm feeling the same way. I have been in the I.T. field doing many things and always had stability. My contract ended in April of 2011 and have had a hard time even getting interviews. I strongly believe it's because I'm approaching 50 and companies are wanting younger people. Very scary and stressful.

This is Charlotte, NC where the DNC is coming.. Unemployment is still around 10 percent here.

Henrys

Back to top Go down

Post by superstevies Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:18 pm

I had to scream and do everthing from pulling my hair out today when I was watching Good Morning America talking about all the jobs added and how unemployment # is staying the same their answer to more jobs were added (better than predicted) was because ALL the people that had given up are NOW AGAIN looking for work.
AAAARRRRGGGGGGG!!!!!!! I never stopped looking or gave up. Companies just don't want to hire the long term unemployed. Over a 3 year period and over 1,300 jobs applied for. I apply for everything Overt qualified, underqualified, equally qualified...ect. I apply for any and every so that NO BODY can say I am not trying and 6 Interviews over 3 years thats it. You can't even follow up anymore either.
No Calls about jobs accepted, or go to the computer...it's who the person (pun inteded) is that hires, we have your application on hand well did you look at it? Don't know we have way too many. ect. Comments like these from the media make me sick. Most of us have not given up or quit looking. There are companies hiring they are just not hiring the long term unemployed and even more so...if your over 40 it is even harder.
superstevies
superstevies

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:25 pm

Another thing that makes me want to scream every I have heard it this morning on the "positive jobs news" is the number of "service" jobs that have been added to the economy.

Translation: McJobs!! Who can live on that?

Back to top Go down

Post by carlch Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:29 pm

I think the market is getting better for some depending on age, education, and where one resides in the US. There are only certain pockets in California (ie Los Angeles (entertainment) and Silicon Valley tech and bio tech companies) with growth (Facebook for example). I believe the new "elite" are those who have decent jobs and were not affected by the 2008 downturn. They are clueless of our plight!

carlch

Back to top Go down

Post by carlch Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:31 pm

Henrys wrote:carlch,
I'm feeling the same way. I have been in the I.T. field doing many things and always had stability. My contract ended in April of 2011 and have had a hard time even getting interviews. I strongly believe it's because I'm approaching 50 and companies are wanting younger people. Very scary and stressful.

This is Charlotte, NC where the DNC is coming.. Unemployment is still around 10 percent here.

I'm not even looking for work at this point!

carlch

Back to top Go down

Post by lam Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:42 pm

I am 50 nearly 51 and have been unemployed for 4 very long years. I have not given up looking for work and have manged to interview one a month for the last 6 months. However, I am not being hired and I know that it's because of my age and how long I have not worked. Which to me is a bunch of crap!!!!! I heard about the jobs report and pretty much moved on from there. Until these crap employers learn where loyalty and responsibility is meaning in the older worker nothing will change for us!!

lam

Back to top Go down

Post by jchapman Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:49 pm

These job figures are as credible as Obama's birth certificate and Social Security number capitil hill

jchapman

Back to top Go down

Post by carlch Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:19 pm

lam wrote:I am 50 nearly 51 and have been unemployed for 4 very long years. I have not given up looking for work and have manged to interview one a month for the last 6 months. However, I am not being hired and I know that it's because of my age and how long I have not worked. Which to me is a bunch of crap!!!!! I heard about the jobs report and pretty much moved on from there. Until these crap employers learn where loyalty and responsibility is meaning in the older worker nothing will change for us!!

lam, don't give up. I'm 64 years young -- and was unemployed for 2.5 years with only a sprinking of interviews. Fortunately, I remained in "casual" contact with former colleagues at a company I worked from 1998-2004. I let them know I was looking for work whenever I ran into one of them at the grocery. Out of the blue in January 2011, they contacted me to see if I would be interested in temping. Of course, I accepted, but all I can say is I was lucky as the company kept extending the assignment and the six weeks turned into 11 months.

I emphasize to everyone . . that if it's possible, stay or get in touch with old colleagues even if you left on bittersweet terms. I must add, when the hiring admin manager called me, they were in dire straits and short staffed and required someone who knew their systems and business model. So think of your talents. I believe this opportunity was divine intervention, however, I'm now back to square one.

carlch

Back to top Go down

Post by lam Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:36 pm

Thank you Carich, I am not giving up hope yet though I do admit I get tired of this whole mess!!! I do keep in touch with some old colleagues and have been given some job leads as well. Glad to hear about the temping position that was great news to hear!!!!!

Thanks again!!

lam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down