Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Newbie EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Newbie EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Newbie EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Newbie EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Newbie EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Newbie EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Newbie EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Newbie EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Newbie EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Newbie EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Newbie EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Newbie EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Newbie EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Newbie EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Newbie EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Go down

Newbie Empty Newbie

Post by SemiCharmedLife Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:36 pm

Hi All,

I just joined although I've been in the unemployed trenches for over two years. I'm glad a group like this exists. I tried to be strong through all this bullshit but with each rejection or just plain silence makes it harder.
My story; I was laid off in Oct 2009 and have been searching ever since. My background is in project management, in the media field. As I read through the posts a lot of stories sound so similar to mine. I feel like I've done everything I was "supposed to do" yet denied. I went back to school twice (I already have a bachelors, i went back to get certificates), volunteer for two different organizations, became a member of an organization within my field (which I didn't renew because dues were too expensive) networked, job fairs, asked friends, friend of friends, sent my resume to strangers I've met in the street, family members and the next door neighbor, joined Linked In even though I don't really see the value in that anyway seems like another Facebook, signed up with several staffing agencies (those are a joke) and pretty much told everyone I know about my job situation.
College seemed like a waste of time and corporate America is even more pathetic. I'm done drinking the kool aid. I'm contemplating a career change.

Thanks for reading my rant
SemiCharmedLife
SemiCharmedLife

Back to top Go down

Newbie Empty Re: Newbie

Post by Guest Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:25 pm

Welcome to the forum, semicharmedlife.

Im sorry you are going through this. We keep reading and hearing that things are getting better but there are still so many people out there who have been out of work for more than 2 years. I hope something comes along for you soon.

Feel free to rant to us anytime! It helps to be able to vent to people who know what you are going through. We have a great support system here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:52 pm

Yes, welcome Semi!

Sorry that you are in the same boat but I'm glad you have joined our Forum of friends here. You'll find plenty of support and please don't hold back posting what you'd like or alternatively personal message (PM) any members or the admins of this Forum.

Lots of good folks here.

We're here to help each other. I also like your openness of changing careers, as hard as that might seem after doing what you've done for a good while. But this is called "experience", and you can use it down any path you pick.

Remember the government $$$ out there for retraining. If you don't see training applicable to what you want to do then get a training facility to apply for this money and there you go... maybe a resulting certification that will open the new door.

It's not just for you. More individuals need to think about this change because collectively it will help turn this country around. Use this as part of the application process!

Welcome!
Xeff

Back to top Go down

Post by SemiCharmedLife Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:19 pm

Thanks!

X, where would I found out about government money? I took a class in project management at a local college last year, and got a certificate which I didn't have to pay for because I was on unemployment. My unemployment has since run out and I dont know if I am eligible for any free money for training anymore.

I'm debating if I should learn a trade.
SemiCharmedLife
SemiCharmedLife

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:43 pm

Semi,

I'm going to look into this and come back with a little more substance than I can give right now.

The other day I was talking to a woman at the local employment office and she told me this is what can be done. I'll be down there tomorrow and will ask a bit more.

For example, you took a PM course from a local college. I don't know where PMI stands on providing training and certification to the unemployment - and if they have registered for Fed $ refund.

I'll contact PMI and ask about this, suggesting that they have a lousy business model for the country they are working within if they don't provide this type of assistance.

This is a summary of what I'd do with any organization that you'd like training from. They might find that their business would actually increase by having gov assistance.

Sounds like you already have the initiative for finding these avenues. I might say PM work is out there but a bit limited right now. Agile and Scrum are the certs if you have an app dev background, ITIL/Sigma for infrastructure.

I'll be back... Jeff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum