Latest topics
» I see this board has been quiet
Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Wed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:01 pm by member

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:33 am by 

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

» things are going to get worst
Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:51 pm by 

Social Networks
December 2016
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
    123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

Calendar Calendar


Costume Party At 'Foreclosure Mill' Law Firm Mocked Those Who Lost Homes

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Costume Party At 'Foreclosure Mill' Law Firm Mocked Those Who Lost Homes

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:58 am

On Friday, the law firm of Steven J. Baum threw a Halloween party.The firm, which is located near Buffalo, is what is commonly referred to as a “foreclosure mill” firm, meaning it represents banks and mortgage servicers as they attempt to foreclose on homeowners and evict them from their homes. Steven J. Baum is, in fact, the largest such firm in New York; it represents virtually all the giant mortgage lenders, including Citigroup, JPMorgan Chase, Bank of America and Wells Fargo.

“There is this really cavalier attitude,” she said. “It doesn’t matter that people are going to lose their homes.” Nor does the firm try to help people get mortgage modifications; the pressure, always, is to foreclose. I told her I wanted to post the photos on The Times’s Web site so that readers could see them. She agreed, but asked to remain anonymous because she said she fears retaliation.

Let me describe a few of the photos. In one, two Baum employees are dressed like homeless people. One is holding a bottle of liquor. The other has a sign around her neck that reads: “3rd party squatter. I lost my home and I was never served.” My source said that “I was never served” is meant to mock “the typical excuse” of the homeowner trying to evade a foreclosure proceeding.
http://kaystreet.wordpress.com/2011/10/29/costume-party-at-foreclosure-mill-law-firm-mocked-those-who-lost-homes/

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Costume Party At 'Foreclosure Mill' Law Firm Mocked Those Who Lost Homes

Post by tristen303 on Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:39 pm

I don't think anything is wrong with that in fact I think it is kinda of funny; we need to be less pc.
So if I had a costume party with my friends and dressed up like lawyers and process servers with thier typical statements like the above is that wrong?

tristen303
Member

Posts : 663
Join date : 2011-02-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Costume Party At 'Foreclosure Mill' Law Firm Mocked Those Who Lost Homes

Post by gettheminNOVEMBER on Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:14 pm

The messge needs to get out there. Don't leave yur home unless they can find your paperwork. The loans were lumped and sold and the banks can't find 6 trillion worth of loans.

Tristen you think this if funny? Its EVIL to mock those you screwed over. Should I kick you when you are down?

gettheminNOVEMBER
Member

Posts : 2626
Join date : 2011-02-21
Age : 42

Back to top Go down

Re: Costume Party At 'Foreclosure Mill' Law Firm Mocked Those Who Lost Homes

Post by lstjr on Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:29 pm

Funny? I used to have a 2200sqft house on 10 acres in the country that I lost to foreclosure. I now live in an 18ft trailer (my avatar) for almost two years that's smaller than my master bathroom was. Yeah, that costume party sounds “funny” to me.

lstjr
Member

Posts : 77
Join date : 2011-04-21
Age : 58
Location : Eugene, OR

Back to top Go down

Re: Costume Party At 'Foreclosure Mill' Law Firm Mocked Those Who Lost Homes

Post by lendmeflight2 on Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:52 pm

tristen303 wrote:I don't think anything is wrong with that in fact I think it is kinda of funny; we need to be less pc.
So if I had a costume party with my friends and dressed up like lawyers and process servers with thier typical statements like the above is that wrong?


Political correctness is the problem?
This is just wrong in general.

You served your country in the first gulf war tristen. If I mocked and made fun of what you went through and the friends that you might have lost there, would that be funny?

lendmeflight2
Member

Posts : 1219
Join date : 2011-02-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Costume Party At 'Foreclosure Mill' Law Firm Mocked Those Who Lost Homes

Post by mistermunster on Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:10 am

Lots of EVIL Americans thinking they are just better than the rest by mocking those who lost everything. I'm really getting sick of this nation and how it's so full of wicked people. I just read a post dealing with the OWS and some knuckle dagger responded "Where's the SNIPERS?" When will ALL these evil attitudes STOP?

mistermunster
Member

Posts : 847
Join date : 2011-02-19
Age : 54
Location : ca

Back to top Go down

Re: Costume Party At 'Foreclosure Mill' Law Firm Mocked Those Who Lost Homes

Post by ranbrow123 on Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:35 am

tristen303 wrote:I don't think anything is wrong with that in fact I think it is kinda of funny; we need to be less pc.
So if I had a costume party with my friends and dressed up like lawyers and process servers with thier typical statements like the above is that wrong?

Considering it's very likely you and your friends don't make a habit of screwing lawyers out of their homes -- and your costumes likely won't be poking fun at any misfortune you've helped cause them -- yeaaaaah that's not the same thing.

ranbrow123
Member

Posts : 189
Join date : 2011-07-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Costume Party At 'Foreclosure Mill' Law Firm Mocked Those Who Lost Homes

Post by tristen303 on Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:57 pm

Yep I did fight and I get to watch people burn flags and all sorts of other things I find to be vile, but that's freedom. The fact the the party was at the law firm doing the work, the fact that it was a company function makes it just fine with me (and I'm in foreclousre).

Had it been in a public mall that's a different story but it wasn't. As for it being the same it is (your twists don't work) but hey on this site where the left, PC rules apply and logic flys have at it I still think it's funny and with my service I've earned that right.

tristen303
Member

Posts : 663
Join date : 2011-02-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Costume Party At 'Foreclosure Mill' Law Firm Mocked Those Who Lost Homes

Post by Guest on Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:11 pm

tristen, as we always do, you have the right to your opinion, as do the others. It's a very sensitive subject and probably wasn't the best thing for them to do and worse, to have publicized. I also agree with mistermunster, I read that article as well, or a similar one and the comments about where are the snipers? What kind of people are left.

tristen, you should also know, no one on this forum would ever or will ever take a cheap shot at you for your service to our country, it is not allowed and won't be.

As they say, every right has a corresponding responsibility. That was over the top and tasteless. If you are a firm responsible for handling the foreclosure of the very banks that were responsible, making fun of those hurt the most really has nothing to do with pc, it has everything to do with making a statement about things they saw and heard which are confidential. In 2008 no one was posting pictures and wearing costumes poking fun at Lehman Brothers and their employees, or AIG and their employees. Two wrongs will never make a right.

As far as this being left vs. right, no it isn't. It's all about human beings and making fun of people who are really at their lowest point.

More should be done across this country to keep people in their homes and not a mass sell off to investors to regain the money they "lost" in these mortgages, when the feds took care of that for them three years ago. Now they want more money.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Costume Party At 'Foreclosure Mill' Law Firm Mocked Those Who Lost Homes

Post by tristen303 on Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:41 pm

As always Marykay how could one argue with such a thoughtfully written post; you leave me truly defenseless.
I cede to your points your and further would like to point out how nice and sincere your posts are, thank you for reminding of my humanity (I forget about it every now and then).

tristen303
Member

Posts : 663
Join date : 2011-02-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Costume Party At 'Foreclosure Mill' Law Firm Mocked Those Who Lost Homes

Post by lendmeflight2 on Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:22 pm

tristen303 wrote:Yep I did fight and I get to watch people burn flags and all sorts of other things I find to be vile, but that's freedom. The fact the the party was at the law firm doing the work, the fact that it was a company function makes it just fine with me (and I'm in foreclousre).

Had it been in a public mall that's a different story but it wasn't. As for it being the same it is (your twists don't work) but hey on this site where the left, PC rules apply and logic flys have at it I still think it's funny and with my service I've earned that right.

As a typical republican, everything is a first amendment issue with you.

I thought about mentioning that from the start but figured I would give you the benefit of the doubt and let you stick your foot in it.

Nobody is denying their right to do it. I can say or do anything I want but that doesn't make it right. The comments here were about whether it was a human or moral thing to do. I feel it isn't moral to kick a man when he is down, maybe you do. That's your right but the freedom of speech doesn't give you freedom from consequences of that speech. Just because you have a right to say something doesn't make it "Right".

lendmeflight2
Member

Posts : 1219
Join date : 2011-02-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Costume Party At 'Foreclosure Mill' Law Firm Mocked Those Who Lost Homes

Post by ranbrow123 on Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:24 am

tristen303 wrote:Yep I did fight and I get to watch people burn flags and all sorts of other things I find to be vile, but that's freedom.

People who burn flags are misdirecting their anger. It's not the country that sucks, it's the people who run it. I just wish I knew what your point was.

EDIT: Okay I guess I kind of get your point here: you're saying people burn flags and they can do it so these people can do what they want. See how you find it vile, though? Well, people on this forum found what the people at the company did as vile, too. They're allowed to do it, and we're allowed to be pissed at their tasteless display of insensitivity. Regardless, none of this changes how terrible your analogy was. =/

Had it been in a public mall that's a different story but it wasn't. As for it being the same it is (your twists don't work) but hey on this site where the left, PC rules apply and logic flys have at it I still think it's funny and with my service I've earned that right.

Blah blah blah I can't defend my opinion so I'll just attack the character of people who disagree with me and the sentiment of the majority of the forum instead. Same tristen tricks, different tristen post.

Left, right, middle, nazi, commie, it doesn't matter what you are, it is a terrible analogy. Dressing up as someone you've done no harm to (and who would be hard to mock in costume anyway considering you'd likely be wearing a nice suit) is in no way the same as mocking someone by dressing up as someone who is down on their luck because of a situation the corporation you work for has helped them get into to begin with.

ranbrow123
Member

Posts : 189
Join date : 2011-07-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Costume Party At 'Foreclosure Mill' Law Firm Mocked Those Who Lost Homes

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:03 am

ranbrow123 wrote:
tristen303 wrote:Yep I did fight and I get to watch people burn flags and all sorts of other things I find to be vile, but that's freedom.

People who burn flags are misdirecting their anger. It's not the country that sucks, it's the people who run it. I just wish I knew what your point was.

EDIT: Okay I guess I kind of get your point here: you're saying people burn flags and they can do it so these people can do what they want. See how you find it vile, though? Well, people on this forum found what the people at the company did as vile, too. They're allowed to do it, and we're allowed to be pissed at their tasteless display of insensitivity. Regardless, none of this changes how terrible your analogy was. =/

Had it been in a public mall that's a different story but it wasn't. As for it being the same it is (your twists don't work) but hey on this site where the left, PC rules apply and logic flys have at it I still think it's funny and with my service I've earned that right.

Blah blah blah I can't defend my opinion so I'll just attack the character of people who disagree with me and the sentiment of the majority of the forum instead. Same tristen tricks, different tristen post.

Left, right, middle, nazi, commie, it doesn't matter what you are, it is a terrible analogy. Dressing up as someone you've done no harm to (and who would be hard to mock in costume anyway considering you'd likely be wearing a nice suit) is in no way the same as mocking someone by dressing up as someone who is down on their luck because of a situation the corporation you work for has helped them get into to begin with.

ranbrow123 - everyone! I do not wish to stifle this conversation but I am indeed requesting that it be brought down to a polite and decent debate. I am currently viewing the comments directed to Tristen and they are outside this Forum's guidelines.

Please do not let me end this conversation, but please pattern and post your thoughts as if you were talking to a friend. Because either you are or you're out.

Thanks.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Costume Party At 'Foreclosure Mill' Law Firm Mocked Those Who Lost Homes

Post by ranbrow123 on Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:38 am

While you won't ever catch me denying that I can be a complete prick, I honestly only do it because the stories of the suffering get me so emotional that I just want to lash out on anyone who even remotely defends the people inflicting that suffering in any way whatsoever.

In short, I care enough about the people here (and the suffering that they're going through) that if the majority of people feel my being here is a net negative for the forum, let me know either here or through PM and I'm gone, no ban needed.

By the way: while I get your point on the "talking to a friend" thing, let me assure you that I would probably be even more critical of a friend. I just feel like the best relationships stem from brutal honesty, but like I said if people feel my approach and my posting here is more negative than positive, let me know and I'll never make another post, guaranteed. My goal is not to depress anybody further than they already are, I'm just passionate about my opinions.

Thank you for being polite in your request, by the way. I appreciate that, even if I'm not always the most polite myself.

ranbrow123
Member

Posts : 189
Join date : 2011-07-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Costume Party At 'Foreclosure Mill' Law Firm Mocked Those Who Lost Homes

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:08 am

I know ranbrow123. Thank you. Just want to show those looking on that we are decent to each other, not only to keep us "friends" but also to feel okay in directing a few recruiters I know to this site - which I promise to do - and hopefully more will land jobs.

Thanks... Jeff

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Costume Party At 'Foreclosure Mill' Law Firm Mocked Those Who Lost Homes

Post by steveninspokane on Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:51 pm

....


Last edited by steveninspokane on Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

steveninspokane
Member

Posts : 58
Join date : 2011-02-21
Location : WA State

Back to top Go down

Re: Costume Party At 'Foreclosure Mill' Law Firm Mocked Those Who Lost Homes

Post by steveninspokane on Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:01 pm

All I can say is, if I were one of those people in the pictures I would be horribly ashamed of myself. When did people stop teaching that you just don't make fun of others? Sure, every movie that comes out of Hollywood, and every sitcom on TV Preaches sarcasm and that insults are funny. But when people go beyond themselves and out of their way to mimic the very people they so furiously affect, too me, that is just going to far.

Like I said, If I knew a picture of me making fun of someone was now all over the internet, I would just feel plain humiliated.

steveninspokane
Member

Posts : 58
Join date : 2011-02-21
Location : WA State

Back to top Go down

Re: Costume Party At 'Foreclosure Mill' Law Firm Mocked Those Who Lost Homes

Post by TR11005 on Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:24 pm

Very well said stevinspokane.

If you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all. You shouldn't joke about everything. Just like you think you can say anything. If you do you better have your facts right.

We all need to vent, but not hurt.

TR11005
Member

Posts : 541
Join date : 2011-02-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Costume Party At 'Foreclosure Mill' Law Firm Mocked Those Who Lost Homes

Post by Sponsored content Today at 10:48 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum