Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Bloomberg: Jobs crisis could spark riots here EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Bloomberg: Jobs crisis could spark riots here EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Bloomberg: Jobs crisis could spark riots here EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Bloomberg: Jobs crisis could spark riots here EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Bloomberg: Jobs crisis could spark riots here EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Bloomberg: Jobs crisis could spark riots here EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Bloomberg: Jobs crisis could spark riots here EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Bloomberg: Jobs crisis could spark riots here EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Bloomberg: Jobs crisis could spark riots here EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Bloomberg: Jobs crisis could spark riots here EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Bloomberg: Jobs crisis could spark riots here EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Bloomberg: Jobs crisis could spark riots here EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Bloomberg: Jobs crisis could spark riots here EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Bloomberg: Jobs crisis could spark riots here EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Bloomberg: Jobs crisis could spark riots here EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Bloomberg: Jobs crisis could spark riots here

3 posters

Go down

Bloomberg: Jobs crisis could spark riots here Empty Bloomberg: Jobs crisis could spark riots here

Post by Guest Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:03 pm

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg is worried that high U.S. unemployment could lead to the same kind of riots here that have swept through Europe and North Africa.

"You have a lot of kids graduating college, [who] can't find jobs," said Bloomberg, during his weekly radio show on Friday. "That's what happened in Cairo. That's what happened in Madrid. You don't want those kinds of riots here."
http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/16/news/economy/bloomberg_jobs_riots/

Back to top Go down

Bloomberg: Jobs crisis could spark riots here Empty Re: Bloomberg: Jobs crisis could spark riots here

Post by Guest Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:23 pm

Oh I believe it will happen! Its long over due

Back to top Go down

Bloomberg: Jobs crisis could spark riots here Empty Re: Bloomberg: Jobs crisis could spark riots here

Post by JoanB Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:30 am

I'm surprised it hasn't happened already. Well, there is the flash mob phenom, but I'm not sure if that counts.
JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:45 pm

I think people are boiling, I just hope it doesn't. We've never been like that and innocent people getting hurt won't get us jobs. I hate when politicians make these statements, and then the very desperate follow the suggestion as they have no other choice. You know in this country it would end with the rioters being shot or jailed, it would not end as it has in other countries. The Republican's won't resign enmass, they will hold news conferences and say, see, we told you, we pay them for civil disobedience, you all can help me write the script.

Now a March, in every state, on the same day, that's a different story.
Doesn't even have to be in one place, it could be in every township, every county, the news would go nuts, they wouldn't have enough sources to cover it all.

Back to top Go down

Post by wausauguy Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:47 am

I know I have "issues" and I don't want to go into them here. For the most part a peaceful respectable march, with only positive signs and such makes so much sense. However, my fear is that the negative statements, blaming certain political parties, politicians would be the majority, and I also fear many people actually "like" a more aggressive direction than a peaceful march. Some people like to be angry and pushy and such.
I am not saying that anger is inappropriate, I just feel kind of fragile and I work so hard at finding positive in my days and if I get sucked into negative, will I survive? Will it escalate?

I am noticing some resentment toward the long-term unemployed. I have a feeling if I still had my last full-time job, I might even be thinking some of the thoughts, but I am sure I would not be so mean and so "sure" that I know what "it is like" and that "you could get a job if you really tried."
I know I am coming off as a bit mixed up and disorganized, I apologize but I have to speak from my heart. I think a march could work with the right people leading the activities, but it could also create even more resentment towards those of us who are unemployed.
Just an ending note... I never ever would have expected to have to apply for so many jobs... and not be able to land something.

wausauguy

Back to top Go down

Post by JoanB Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:08 am

MaryKay wrote:I think people are boiling, I just hope it doesn't. We've never been like that and innocent people getting hurt won't get us jobs. I hate when politicians make these statements, and then the very desperate follow the suggestion as they have no other choice. You know in this country it would end with the rioters being shot or jailed, it would not end as it has in other countries. The Republican's won't resign enmass, they will hold news conferences and say, see, we told you, we pay them for civil disobedience, you all can help me write the script.

Now a March, in every state, on the same day, that's a different story.
Doesn't even have to be in one place, it could be in every township, every county, the news would go nuts, they wouldn't have enough sources to cover it all.

I'm not so sure that's true that we've never been like that, MaryKay. There were riots during the Great Depression, at least before Roosevelt took over and the people felt like the government was trying to help. And there was the 60's. There's been a lot of stuff around labor like the Haymarket Square Riot in Chicago in the late 1800's and the Homestead Steel Strike--that was a full-fledged battle that happened on the river about a mile from where I live:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homestead_Strike

And there's lots other things that have happened over the years that I've skipped over, so I think we have plenty in our history that indicates that we do have it in us, for good or for bad.

But I don't know what to think, to be honest, between what you're saying about that kind of action being bad, and what mistermunster says about how it's time to open up a can of whoop-ass. Some days I think he might be right, and then other days I think that if Egypt could overthrow a rutherless dictatorship peacfully, why can't we make some changes without shedding blood?
JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:57 am

Egypt (and Spain) both had successful, peaceful protests using Social Media. There is no reason we can't do it the same way.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hunterforjobs Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:51 pm

You have to understand Bloomberg, he's a crier. He worries and complains about everything. He's not worried about the riots, he's worried that they'll happen on his third term--which should never have happened--and he'd be responsible.
Hunterforjobs
Hunterforjobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum