Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Obama proposes sweeping changes to unemployment benefits EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Obama proposes sweeping changes to unemployment benefits EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Obama proposes sweeping changes to unemployment benefits EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Obama proposes sweeping changes to unemployment benefits EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Obama proposes sweeping changes to unemployment benefits EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Obama proposes sweeping changes to unemployment benefits EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Obama proposes sweeping changes to unemployment benefits EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Obama proposes sweeping changes to unemployment benefits EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Obama proposes sweeping changes to unemployment benefits EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Obama proposes sweeping changes to unemployment benefits EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Obama proposes sweeping changes to unemployment benefits EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Obama proposes sweeping changes to unemployment benefits EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Obama proposes sweeping changes to unemployment benefits EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Obama proposes sweeping changes to unemployment benefits EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Obama proposes sweeping changes to unemployment benefits EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Obama proposes sweeping changes to unemployment benefits

+10
TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA
peppermint
exhaustedandtired/1208
stillnutty
woodhorse74
laine25
jmainframe
mistermunster
broketrucker
lendmeflight2
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Obama proposes sweeping changes to unemployment benefits Empty Obama proposes sweeping changes to unemployment benefits

Post by Guest Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:43 am

The nation's unemployment benefits system would undergo extensive changes under the jobs proposal President Obama outlined Thursday.

Calling it "the most sweeping reforms to the unemployment insurance system in 40 years," the administration wants to broaden the program beyond its core mission of sending checks to the jobless. The expanded goal: helping the jobless transition back to the workplace.

"We have to do more to help the long-term unemployed in their search for work," Obama said in his speech.
http://tinyurl.com/3s4nw4d

Back to top Go down

Obama proposes sweeping changes to unemployment benefits Empty Re: Obama proposes sweeping changes to unemployment benefits

Post by lendmeflight2 Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:38 am

This is good. It NEEDS to change. Instead of tiers benefits should be based on the unemployment rate. It seems like these other measures aren't bad either though. The program will still be there for people that lose their jobs.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Obama proposes sweeping changes to unemployment benefits Empty Re: Obama proposes sweeping changes to unemployment benefits

Post by broketrucker Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:23 am

I'm just wondering if he's going to add another year after 99 weeks or just moving the deadline by a year with no added weeks? His exact words were:

The plan also extends unemployment insurance for another year. If the millions of unemployed Americans stopped getting this insurance, and stopped using that money for basic necessities, it would be a devastating blow to this economy. Democrats and Republicans in this Chamber have supported unemployment insurance plenty of times in the past. At this time of prolonged hardship, you should pass it again — right away.

broketrucker

Back to top Go down

Post by mistermunster Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:46 am

This is a scam. Read the FINE print.

All this is predicated that YOU ARE still receiving UI benefits to be eligible.

1.Allow the long-term unemployed to continue receiving benefits while getting on-the-job training.

2.Allow companies to keep employees on the job at reduced hours, rather than laying them off. Unemployment benefits would be used to make up the lost wages.

3.Provide more rigorous services for helping long-term jobless reenter the workforce. Assess the eligibility of those in the system the longest and help them develop a job-search plan.

4.Use jobless benefits to pay the difference in salary if older, long-term unemployed Americans take a new job with lower wages.

5.Allow the long-term unemployed to use their checks to fund entrepreneurial ventures. Several states already offer this to the jobless, waiving their requirement that they look for work while collecting benefits.

WHAT A CROCK. Remember 99ers ARE NO LONGER IN THE SYSTEM and NOT counted. SO HOW is this going to work for the 99ers?????

mistermunster
mistermunster

Back to top Go down

Post by jmainframe Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:27 am

I caught about 90% of Obama's speech last night. From the parts I heard, I didn't hear ANYTHING about 99ers or exhaustees. Obama is well aware that these terms refer to unemployed people who have exhausted all of their benefits. Unless he addressed this group in the parts of the speech I missed, there is nothing in this act to add weeks of benefits beyond the current limit of 99 weeks.
jmainframe
jmainframe

Back to top Go down

Post by mistermunster Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:29 am

jmainframe wrote:I caught about 90% of Obama's speech last night. From the parts I heard, I didn't hear ANYTHING about 99ers or exhaustees. Obama is well aware that these terms refer to unemployed people who have exhausted all of their benefits. Unless he addressed this group in the parts of the speech I missed, there is nothing in this act to add weeks of benefits beyond the current limit of 99 weeks.

And ANY program HE HAS proposed WILL ONLY BENEFIT those still collecting a UI check at this time. He SOLD us down the river. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad TO THEM WE DON'T EXIST. Yet WE are the ONES IN NEED.
mistermunster
mistermunster

Back to top Go down

Post by laine25 Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:43 am

I'm very disappointed that the 99'ers were not mentioned. I twittered and emailed to the White House that this is something that must be done in the speech.
laine25
laine25

Back to top Go down

Post by woodhorse74 Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:02 am

He mentioned long term unemployed. I believe that includes the 99'ers.
Why is everyone so negative?

woodhorse74

Back to top Go down

Post by stillnutty Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:30 am

Sorry LTU is considered 6 months up to 99 weeks. After that you are just forgotten, and on your own.

stillnutty
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by exhaustedandtired/1208 Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:42 am

mistermunster wrote:This is a scam. Read the FINE print.

All this is predicated that YOU ARE still receiving UI benefits to be eligible.

1.Allow the long-term unemployed to continue receiving benefits while getting on-the-job training.

2.Allow companies to keep employees on the job at reduced hours, rather than laying them off. Unemployment benefits would be used to make up the lost wages.

3.Provide more rigorous services for helping long-term jobless reenter the workforce. Assess the eligibility of those in the system the longest and help them develop a job-search plan.

4.Use jobless benefits to pay the difference in salary if older, long-term unemployed Americans take a new job with lower wages.

5.Allow the long-term unemployed to use their checks to fund entrepreneurial ventures. Several states already offer this to the jobless, waiving their requirement that they look for work while collecting benefits.

WHAT A CROCK. Remember 99ers ARE NO LONGER IN THE SYSTEM and NOT counted. SO HOW is this going to work for the 99ers?????

Mm, You are right! The 99er's have no support! He is ignoring them as if they do not exist! His program is for the newly unemployed and those who may be on extensions! And the part of using their checks, like (give them back ) to get emtrepreneurial ventures! Like the whole check?? What about survival money food, bills, groceries!
Also the part the employer keeps the employee at reduced hours and gets the unemployment money???? For the reduced hours does te employee affected get any unemployment help to offset the income loss???

exhaustedandtired/1208

Back to top Go down

Post by peppermint Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:43 am

He said the long-term to continue receiving benefits. If he meant the 99ers he would have said the long-term to resume receiving benefits.

peppermint

Back to top Go down

Post by exhaustedandtired/1208 Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:47 am

woodhorse74 wrote:He mentioned long term unemployed. I believe that includes the 99'ers.

Dear person: He considers the long term those after their 26 weeks. he doesn't recognise the 99er's. Last year in Dec. when he got the extensions renewed until dec 31st. he did not include the 99er's and yet he mentioned long term unemployed and how his heart feels for the long term unemployed... wow, the big betrayal: SS, medicare to the seniors, medicade all cuts and now unemployment: Yet you guys criticize the repubs. for all the blame and yet look what gurgles from his mouth! He is for Obama! He is a wolf is sheeps clothing! But some cannot see it!YET!!!

exhaustedandtired/1208

Back to top Go down

Post by exhaustedandtired/1208 Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:50 am

peppermint wrote:He said the long-term to continue receiving benefits. If he meant the 99ers he would have said the long-term to resume receiving benefits.

Right, he woulkd have said also those who have been out of benefits for a while! He is agreeing with the repubs. that beyond 99 weeks is welfare and bilking the system and more! Otherwise hello, where are the 99er's in his plans. I do not see how he cann address the newly unemployed and those who may be on extensions to have benefit of the proposed changes but yet discount the 99er's...

exhaustedandtired/1208

Back to top Go down

Post by exhaustedandtired/1208 Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:51 am

BTW!!!! He is renewing the extensions for another year, BUT didn't the tiers expire?? And the only thing in place is 26 weeks and the EB's but tiers 1-4 gone???

exhaustedandtired/1208

Back to top Go down

Post by exhaustedandtired/1208 Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:57 am

mistermunster wrote:
jmainframe wrote:I caught about 90% of Obama's speech last night. From the parts I heard, I didn't hear ANYTHING about 99ers or exhaustees. Obama is well aware that these terms refer to unemployed people who have exhausted all of their benefits. Unless he addressed this group in the parts of the speech I missed, there is nothing in this act to add weeks of benefits beyond the current limit of 99 weeks.

And ANY program HE HAS proposed WILL ONLY BENEFIT those still collecting a UI check at this time. He SOLD us down the river. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad TO THEM WE DON'T EXIST. Yet WE are the ONES IN NEED.

I'm telling you, he is catering to the tea partiers and repubs. especially when he says " I know some of my fellow democrats may not like some of these changes! HELLO! They don't like a lot of them! I say this!!!!!!
If you watched the pep rally when they gave standing ovations (If thats what you call them) were very half hearted and they were dems. the right side would staggardly stand and then slowly the left side seated stood but immeadiately sat down! I saw the faces of several well known dems. and they didn't look overwhelmed! Obama is really serving his cause and he will win in 2012 no doubt. Because with his whoopee speeches and catering to the tea party and repubs. on issues he is in for sure. So much for party alliances! walk the middle... isn't that the yellow line?

exhaustedandtired/1208

Back to top Go down

Post by TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:04 am

Umm There are programs NOW in some states to help unemployed people. Here in Pennsylvania they have the PA Career Link, which my husband has been using. So in effect, these programs are NOT working and need SERIOUS overhaul. To get back to the topic, why don't we ever get a straight answer as to help for the 99-ers? I want to be optimistic about the President's speech and job creation, but what the hell do older workers live on until these jobs are created? Deep down, I still feel that people like my husband will still be discriminated against because of age. People just don't get it.

TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA

Back to top Go down

Post by exhaustedandtired/1208 Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:18 am

I have applied for disability (legit) so even if something was passed for 99er's I am out of the loop, which is expected and justified! But I truly hurt for 99er's who are out and nothing he is proposing looks like it affects them.No help, no benefits all the attention is on the 26 weekers and also those on extensions! BTW! If something were passed for 99er's which there may be a slight chance if the sponsors bering up the fight on 589 at this time it at least would be heard since both partys have agreed to co-operate and listen to the other side. My point is also however those who tried for disability ,I was told by my case worker that the unemployed who applied for disability and may try to apply for extensions will be denied because their disability application is on file at the unemployment offices. That also includes if they are turned down on disibility they still cannot try to claim unemployment( That is if an extensions were passed). Because they said they can't work period! So the only way they could become eigible for benefits again is if they found a job and worked 12 mos. then start over again! Good luck to all!

exhaustedandtired/1208

Back to top Go down

Post by zphtar Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:36 am

I could be wrong, but sadly, I don't think they're going to give an extenstion to the 99ers. That would put them back into the unemployment count and make the unemployment percentage worse.

I know 99ers are hurting and need to feed their families NOW. However, he did mention a $4,000 tax credit if a company hires a long-term unemployed person. It's not a quick fix, but this is the only thing that could possibly benefit the 99ers. He didn't give enough details as to how long they would have to keep them on the payroll to collect the credit. I know these greedy companies, they will hire as long as it takes to get the credit and then fire the person. However, it could change the preception the employers have of the unemployed.

zphtar

Back to top Go down

Post by TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:55 am

[quote="zphtar"]I could be wrong, but sadly, I don't think they're going to give an extenstion to the 99ers. That would put them back into the unemployment count and make the unemployment percentage worse.

I know 99ers are hurting and need to feed their families NOW. However, he did mention a $4,000 tax credit if a company hires a long-term unemployed person. It's not a quick fix, but this is the only thing that could possibly benefit the 99ers. He didn't give enough details as to how long they would have to keep them on the payroll to collect the credit. I know these greedy companies, they will hire as long as it takes to get the credit and then fire the person. However, it could change the perception the employers have of the unemployed.

You hit the nail on the head with the word GREED! It's the PROFIT HUNGRY Corporate America that needs FIXING! They need to feel the pain in their bottom line and realize its the workers who got them there in the first place. I do agree that the 4,000 tax credit may help, especially if a company sees that the worker is a great employee who shows up on time, works hard, not a clock watcher, doesn't have an attitude, etc. I guess what I am really saying is HIRE OLDER WORKERS!

TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA

Back to top Go down

Post by zphtar Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:08 pm

Amen Too Old!

zphtar

Back to top Go down

Post by exhaustedandtired/1208 Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:12 pm

zphtar wrote:I could be wrong, but sadly, I don't think they're going to give an extenstion to the 99ers. That would put them back into the unemployment count and make the unemployment percentage worse.

I know 99ers are hurting and need to feed their families NOW. However, he did mention a $4,000 tax credit if a company hires a long-term unemployed person. It's not a quick fix, but this is the only thing that could possibly benefit the 99ers. He didn't give enough details as to how long they would have to keep them on the payroll to collect the credit. I know these greedy companies, they will hire as long as it takes to get the credit and then fire the person. However, it could change the preception the employers have of the unemployed.

I hope to gosh that he puts a restriction or clause that says to get the 4,000 credit, the employer must keep them for 12 mos.

exhaustedandtired/1208

Back to top Go down

Post by ranbrow123 Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:19 pm

exhaustedandtired/1208 wrote:
woodhorse74 wrote:He mentioned long term unemployed. I believe that includes the 99'ers.

Dear person: He considers the long term those after their 26 weeks. he doesn't recognise the 99er's. Last year in Dec. when he got the extensions renewed until dec 31st. he did not include the 99er's and yet he mentioned long term unemployed and how his heart feels for the long term unemployed... wow, the big betrayal: SS, medicare to the seniors, medicade all cuts and now unemployment: Yet you guys criticize the repubs. for all the blame and yet look what gurgles from his mouth! He is for Obama! He is a wolf is sheeps clothing! But some cannot see it!YET!!!

I blame the republicans because at least a wolf in sheeps clothing has to waste time taking off the suit. Ain't no sheeps clothing on those republican wolves.

ranbrow123

Back to top Go down

Post by exhaustedandtired/1208 Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:30 pm

a wolf is still a wolf!

exhaustedandtired/1208

Back to top Go down

Post by ranbrow123 Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:34 pm

exhaustedandtired/1208 wrote:a wolf is still a wolf!

And some wolves are more voracious and vicious then other wolves.

ranbrow123

Back to top Go down

Post by americatheneedy Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:59 pm

Well 26 weeks and 99ers unemployed are different to employers so he needs to be specific
americatheneedy
americatheneedy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next