Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
White House Jobs Plan Might Let Businesses Train Unemployed Without Having To Pay Them  EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
White House Jobs Plan Might Let Businesses Train Unemployed Without Having To Pay Them  EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
White House Jobs Plan Might Let Businesses Train Unemployed Without Having To Pay Them  EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
White House Jobs Plan Might Let Businesses Train Unemployed Without Having To Pay Them  EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
White House Jobs Plan Might Let Businesses Train Unemployed Without Having To Pay Them  EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
White House Jobs Plan Might Let Businesses Train Unemployed Without Having To Pay Them  EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
White House Jobs Plan Might Let Businesses Train Unemployed Without Having To Pay Them  EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
White House Jobs Plan Might Let Businesses Train Unemployed Without Having To Pay Them  EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
White House Jobs Plan Might Let Businesses Train Unemployed Without Having To Pay Them  EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
White House Jobs Plan Might Let Businesses Train Unemployed Without Having To Pay Them  EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
White House Jobs Plan Might Let Businesses Train Unemployed Without Having To Pay Them  EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
White House Jobs Plan Might Let Businesses Train Unemployed Without Having To Pay Them  EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
White House Jobs Plan Might Let Businesses Train Unemployed Without Having To Pay Them  EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
White House Jobs Plan Might Let Businesses Train Unemployed Without Having To Pay Them  EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
White House Jobs Plan Might Let Businesses Train Unemployed Without Having To Pay Them  EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

White House Jobs Plan Might Let Businesses Train Unemployed Without Having To Pay Them

+9
CLO
gettheminNOVEMBER
exhaustedandtired/1208
nfpexec
Hunterforjobs
sbraney
WilliamsonAngel
TR11005
Jobless_in_Ma
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

White House Jobs Plan Might Let Businesses Train Unemployed Without Having To Pay Them  Empty White House Jobs Plan Might Let Businesses Train Unemployed Without Having To Pay Them

Post by Guest Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:51 am

As part of a forthcoming jobs package, the Obama administration is considering a program that would let businesses train jobless workers for a short period without having to pay or hire them.

The plan would be modeled on state programs, in particular one called Georgia Works, which allows Georgia businesses to give unemployed workers 24 hours of training per week for two months. Trainees receive a $240 stipend on top of unemployment benefits. The program is voluntary for businesses and workers laid off through no fault of their own and eligible for benefits. Its proponents say it encourages businesses to hire because it limits the risk of spending money to train a worker who might flop.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/24/white-house-jobs-plan-unemployed_n_935228.html

Back to top Go down

White House Jobs Plan Might Let Businesses Train Unemployed Without Having To Pay Them  Empty Re: White House Jobs Plan Might Let Businesses Train Unemployed Without Having To Pay Them

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:28 am

Wish they did this 2 yrs ago.
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org

Back to top Go down

White House Jobs Plan Might Let Businesses Train Unemployed Without Having To Pay Them  Empty Re: White House Jobs Plan Might Let Businesses Train Unemployed Without Having To Pay Them

Post by Guest Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:36 am

This sounds like something similar the 70's CETA Program, which worked very well. I don't know why it took our brilliant leaders so long to figure this out this time!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:46 am

This would also help these companies who claim they can't find folks with the right skills. Let's hope the unemployed aren't treated as slaves now by greedy corporations.
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org

Back to top Go down

Post by TR11005 Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:44 pm

As much that this makes sense. It is unwise and Social Security needs the funds. They should always be paying Minimum wage. Workers Compensation needs to be covered in case you get hurt.

This should match your UI and have an incentive for working. Now, if you want to Volunteer that is your business!

There has to be a guarantee reward, not free labor. Free intern work is wrong! IRS will not buy it!

TR11005

Back to top Go down

Post by WilliamsonAngel Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:59 pm

It makes sense to "try before you buy" thing, but people being used as slave labor is a real concern.

From the original quote, it says something about the folks getting 240 dollars for participating. Is that per month or for the entire period of time?

I'd be happy to try something like this--if they'd cover the costs of my fuel/lunch, and a bit towards my auto insurance (upfront).
WilliamsonAngel
WilliamsonAngel

http://www.zandrae.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sbraney Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:01 pm

This would also help these companies who claim they can't find folks with the right skills. There has to be a guarantee reward, not free labor. Free intern work is wrong!
You have to hand it to these criminals - they have gold balls!! Not only have they been getting free labor from college students who must complete unpaid internships, but now they're using the economic circumstances that they are responsible for creating to get the taxpayers to fund training programs that they used to provide for new hires and on a regular basis as technology changed. What makes anybody think that they'll hire Americans afterward anyway, unless they're willing to work part-time with no benefits - there's plenty of cheap labor and cheap politicians still willing to spew the deception that the high unemployment rate is due to a lack of skills. Screw these scumbags. Let's go after the perpetrators and destroy them before they have a chance to spawn a new generation of toxic humanoids. Workers unite!!

As an aside, last evening began the formalities to welcome the King exhibit. Dr. King would be vomiting on the attendees. The same fools that have decimated the working class were using the commemoration as another occasion to live the good life. I can't be the only one to notice this - Dr. King would have wanted the money to be used to help suffering families, but the socialites chose instead to pervert the ceremony as usual. Did anybody notice that the entire project was outsourced to China??

sbraney

Back to top Go down

Post by Hunterforjobs Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:28 pm

ON top of UI benefits, my UI benefits have expired.
Hunterforjobs
Hunterforjobs

Back to top Go down

Post by nfpexec Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:05 pm

Jobless_in_Ma wrote:Wish they did this 2 yrs ago.

I agree with unemployment this deep and unrelenting you have to think outside of the box. I was and still am more than willing to be re-trained as long as its for something that will be there to provide a living.

I think they could have tied an extension of benefits to training. I would have been happy to be trained, get back into the job market & regular routine as long as the training was practical, useful & there would be some money coming in to pay my bills and allow me to pay for the subway. Duh! confused
nfpexec
nfpexec

Back to top Go down

Post by exhaustedandtired/1208 Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:41 pm

I can see it now: Millions go in for training and Obama's unemployment numbers drop to 5 % and no body gets paid! He is really smart, I'll give him that! puke!

exhaustedandtired/1208

Back to top Go down

Post by exhaustedandtired/1208 Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:44 pm

WilliamsonAngel wrote:It makes sense to "try before you buy" thing, but people being used as slave labor is a real concern.

From the original quote, it says something about the folks getting 240 dollars for participating. Is that per month or for the entire period of time?

I'd be happy to try something like this--if they'd cover the costs of my fuel/lunch, and a bit towards my auto insurance (upfront).

look at my previous comment! Lets see, I couldn't believe any of you would fall for this... The employer brings people in to train a few at a time and get paid by the gov. and at the end of the training period they send us to the street and bring more in and Obama looks like a brain child. He would be!!! He is a joke and everything he does is self serving and decietful..

exhaustedandtired/1208

Back to top Go down

Post by exhaustedandtired/1208 Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:47 pm

DesperateInRI wrote:
As part of a forthcoming jobs package, the Obama administration is considering a program that would let businesses train jobless workers for a short period without having to pay or hire them.

The plan would be modeled on state programs, in particular one called Georgia Works, which allows Georgia businesses to give unemployed workers 24 hours of training per week for two months. Trainees receive a $240 stipend on top of unemployment benefits. The program is voluntary for businesses and workers laid off through no fault of their own and eligible for benefits. Its proponents say it encourages businesses to hire because it limits the risk of spending money to train a worker who might flop.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/24/white-house-jobs-plan-unemployed_n_935228.html

what about those too old to train and also those out of benefits! I can see te motive if one is one unemployment benefits or some extensions which he is going to try to pass, but i also say the 99er's will not be included. But he'll encourage us to train. SS deems those over 55 are not trainable from their age and would not likele be hireable!

exhaustedandtired/1208

Back to top Go down

Post by gettheminNOVEMBER Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:14 pm

exhaustedandtired/1208 wrote:I can see it now: Millions go in for training and Obama's unemployment numbers drop to 5 % and no body gets paid! He is really smart, I'll give him that! puke!

People are falling off the roles with NOTHING. No training, no job nothing while the GOP destroys the economy. The GOPs number one goal is to suck money out of the economy and make things worse. You don't now the details but it does no matter its all Obamas fault. The 130 fillibuster the GOP pulled were Obamas fault. The fall of the economy before Obama took office is his fault. The earthquake we had is now named Obamas FAULT! What a Face
gettheminNOVEMBER
gettheminNOVEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by CLO Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:24 pm

Man, I gotta agree with 1208 and sbraney- all I see with this "idea" is a huge incentive for employers to abuse this type of program... like a revolving door! It's bad enough that students in many lines of work have to do an unpaid internship- I did when I went through CNA school, my daughter will have to do 4 weeks of unpaid internship to get her masters in nursing...this is NOT a good idea, folks! Really think about it... I can see the states latching onto this as a way to disqualify those currently receiving benefits, too... even if the proposal had a provision that if someone trained under this program is guaranteed a job by going through x number of weeks(minimum)of the training, I still see too much potential for abuse. I think the administration is still being wishy-washy and cow-towing to the GOP who we all know will oppose any type of help for the unemployed, a MAJOR problem with the Obama admin. IMO

CLO

Back to top Go down

Post by CLO Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:32 pm

Getthem- I defended Obama till just recently- I will vote for him again (if no one beats him in the primary), but the way he has kind of sat by the sidelines while we all languish and lose EVERYTHING is just not who I thought I had voted for! I think many of us are just wanting to be thrown a bone, is this gonna be tied to a stimulus? Or an extension of benefits, new tier, help for the long-term UE? THAT needs to be their FIRST concern, help for the "99'ers" (I hate that term). Lost a lot of my respect for him after seeing the way he threw himself and all who are not super wealthy under the GOP bus in the debt-ceiling fiasco......but I say f### the GOP, they are only interested in the rich getting richer.

CLO

Back to top Go down

Post by TR11005 Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:35 pm

If they don't include workers that have totally lost their UI benefits with extensions then that is real war time demonstrations! I have had 4 different assignments and still can't qualify for UI again. That is only 10 weeks of work since March, 2010. I need to work 10 more to even qualify. This sucks if it is allowed to happen to the real long term exhaustees.

I don't need free training using my labor. At least give me a job even if it for 10 weeks to collect something. Yes, they should pay for traveling expenses, for slave labor.

If was going to take this long, we should have invaded Mexico. Then take back our jobs. Yes, this is economic war! How many millions of jobs have gone to Mexico. I say it is time to invade. Either bring the jobs back from there or we destroyed their manufacturing plants!

Why isn't this on the table. We invaded them before. Since then invaded in the Middle East over what. A jerk with a beard, is all we got out of it. We could have done that anywhere.

This better be good!

The slave owners feed their slaves too!

TR11005

Back to top Go down

Post by CLO Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:38 pm

I mean, even NELP doesn't like this idea and for good reason-

" Judy Conti said NELP has interviewed workers who've participated in the program and found that their training was more like work. "People really aren't training for new skills," she said. "They are doing things they already know how to do."

Judy Conti said a better jobs program would look more like the stimulus bill's Emergency Fund for the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program. Economists at the liberal Center on Budget and Policy Priorities estimated the fund supported 240,000 jobs before Congress let it expire in 2010. "

CLO

Back to top Go down

Post by exhaustedandtired/1208 Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:35 pm

You can bet Obama has his interest at heart!!! ploy to decieve and falsly lower unemployment!

exhaustedandtired/1208

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:55 pm

yeah...I don't think he thought this one through. What the hell is wrong with him? Maybe there is more to it. I am not going to get too angry until I hear it come from him. If its true, WHAT ABOUT THE 99ERS!!??

Back to top Go down

Post by WilliamsonAngel Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:11 pm

exhaustedandtired/1208 wrote:
WilliamsonAngel wrote:It makes sense to "try before you buy" thing, but people being used as slave labor is a real concern.

look at my previous comment! Lets see, I couldn't believe any of you would fall for this... The employer brings people in to train a few at a time and get paid by the gov. and at the end of the training period they send us to the street and bring more in and Obama looks like a brain child. He would be!!! He is a joke and everything he does is self serving and decietful..

I try to look at things from both the standpoint of a jobseeker and someone who might plan on running a small business one day.

Every time a business brings a new person on, they have to take time off of doing profitable things to train this person, plus pay the person, and may or may not actually be the right person for the job, or capable of becoming the right person for the job. The smaller the business, the more this hurts.

If you're hiring for a job that is supposed to pay 16 dollars an hour, only having to pay some present government cost instead of 640 is a reduced risk, an incentive for businesses to take that risk.

Currently the equivalent is use of a temp agency to screen someone, but even then the person just might not fit in or work out... at a premium of 15-20%, so instead of 16 dollars an hour, the potential employer pays 18 or 19.

It's been said the job market is anemic, that businesses aren't willing to take the risk of hiring people on.

This reduces the risk for some businesses and may make the marketplace less anemic. The places that have revolving door hiring practices (unskilled labor jobs that pay minimum wages) are the places that won't benefit from this, especially if the government amount winds up being 40 hours worth of minimum wage. Places that will benefit are places that have jobs that require skill and training.

It would also give more people a chance to get their foot in the door.
For some people, all it takes is getting in the door, getting someone to give them a chance, to get hired on for the long term.

And that is why it's not a terrible idea, especially if it's voluntary. It must be executed correctly.
WilliamsonAngel
WilliamsonAngel

Back to top Go down

Post by JoanB Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:23 pm

exhaustedandtired/1208 wrote:You can bet Obama has his interest at heart!!! ploy to decieve and falsly lower unemployment!

We get it, he's a stinky poopey head! Feel better?
JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Post by tristen303 Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:12 pm

WilliamsonAngel wrote:
exhaustedandtired/1208 wrote:

I try to look at things from both the standpoint of a jobseeker and someone who might plan on running a small business one day.

Every time a business brings a new person on, they have to take time off of doing profitable things to train this person, plus pay the person, and may or may not actually be the right person for the job, or capable of becoming the right person for the job. The smaller the business, the more this hurts.

If you're hiring for a job that is supposed to pay 16 dollars an hour, only having to pay some present government cost instead of 640 is a reduced risk, an incentive for businesses to take that risk.

Currently the equivalent is use of a temp agency to screen someone, but even then the person just might not fit in or work out... at a premium of 15-20%, so instead of 16 dollars an hour, the potential employer pays 18 or 19.

It's been said the job market is anemic, that businesses aren't willing to take the risk of hiring people on.

This reduces the risk for some businesses and may make the marketplace less anemic. The places that have revolving door hiring practices (unskilled labor jobs that pay minimum wages) are the places that won't benefit from this, especially if the government amount winds up being 40 hours worth of minimum wage. Places that will benefit are places that have jobs that require skill and training.

It would also give more people a chance to get their foot in the door.
For some people, all it takes is getting in the door, getting someone to give them a chance, to get hired on for the long term.

And that is why it's not a terrible idea, especially if it's voluntary. It must be executed correctly.

I agree and I think it is a good idea as long as all 99ers are included and that there is some incentive to hire them first (sorry but they have no benefits or anything coming in so I think it's about their turns to get some relief first). As for the Obama bashing, I would ask my friends on the right to just for the moment let up on shooting down any idea he comes up. He needs support from both sides and this idea is a good one. Might I point out that the right has yet to even come up with a bad idea so lets give the man a break.

tristen303

Back to top Go down

Post by sbraney Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:25 pm

I stopped defending Obama when he brought back all the Clinton retreads that screwed us with the trade agreements, deregulated the financial industry and helped monopolize telecommunications - he didn't do anything to raise the efficiency of our cars either - he also put a giant hole in the gov't services sector. The 90s appeared to be good economic times, because there was a giant tech bubble fueling it - just as the mortgage crisis pumped wall street full of air covering the disastrous Bush policies. (Disastrous for working Americans that is.)

Last December took the lid off the can - he "negotiates" a "deal" with the cons to further extend Bush's taxcuts - which everyone knows is welfare for the rich - Obama's class - then, he reduces funding for an already cash strapped social security program which he sure as hell isn't depending upon!! All for a few billion in UI benefits which in any other downturn would have been automatically extended with so many out of work. This guy is as self-serving as the rest, and until we recognize that the working class now hasn't anybody to represent them, we won't quit fighting, get organized and do something about it. The adults have left town folks - we're on our own and we're going to pay dearly for their crimes. There are a handful that try to do what is right, but they don't have any power - or they just vote on behalf of their constituents when they know there isn't a prayer's chance in hell of the bill passing.

Yesterday, Obama announced that he was going to try and do something for the African American community - think his campaign advisers have informed him that he has completely lost his base?? You could see it last November - nobody showed up. The DINOS just figure that we don't have anywhere else to go, but if democrats don't bother to vote they can't win either. He, like Clinton, promised all kinds of things, but once in office didn't deliver at all, in fact, they both did more harm to working Americans by their total betrayal. Mrs. Obama has been just as disappointing - the organic White House garden and nutrition program didn't go over well with the entire factory food industry so she chose instead to remain corporate friendly and backed down. The Obamas can afford good, nutritious food so they aren't blown up from the cheap garbage that overweight people consume. It's tragic - I'm praying that someone with some real credibility will run against him.

sbraney

Back to top Go down

Post by WilliamsonAngel Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:09 pm

I don't think other democrats can run against him, only republicans.

Is it possible for a republican to be a better choice, what with being in bed with big businesses and the church?
WilliamsonAngel
WilliamsonAngel

Back to top Go down

Post by exhaustedandtired/1208 Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:17 pm

sbraney wrote:I stopped defending Obama when he brought back all the Clinton retreads that screwed us with the trade agreements, deregulated the financial industry and helped monopolize telecommunications - he didn't do anything to raise the efficiency of our cars either - he also put a giant hole in the gov't services sector. The 90s appeared to be good economic times, because there was a giant tech bubble fueling it - just as the mortgage crisis pumped wall street full of air covering the disastrous Bush policies. (Disastrous for working Americans that is.)

Last December took the lid off the can - he "negotiates" a "deal" with the cons to further extend Bush's taxcuts - which everyone knows is welfare for the rich - Obama's class - then, he reduces funding for an already cash strapped social security program which he sure as hell isn't depending upon!! All for a few billion in UI benefits which in any other downturn would have been automatically extended with so many out of work. This guy is as self-serving as the rest, and until we recognize that the working class now hasn't anybody to represent them, we won't quit fighting, get organized and do something about it. The adults have left town folks - we're on our own and we're going to pay dearly for their crimes. There are a handful that try to do what is right, but they don't have any power - or they just vote on behalf of their constituents when they know there isn't a prayer's chance in hell of the bill passing.

Yesterday, Obama announced that he was going to try and do something for the African American community - think his campaign advisers have informed him that he has completely lost his base?? You could see it last November - nobody showed up. The DINOS just figure that we don't have anywhere else to go, but if democrats don't bother to vote they can't win either. He, like Clinton, promised all kinds of things, but once in office didn't deliver at all, in fact, they both did more harm to working Americans by their total betrayal. Mrs. Obama has been just as disappointing - the organic White House garden and nutrition program didn't go over well with the entire factory food industry so she chose instead to remain corporate friendly and backed down. The Obamas can afford good, nutritious food so they aren't blown up from the cheap garbage that overweight people consume. It's tragic - I'm praying that someone with some real credibility will run against him.

Sbraney, I am with you! If we can find someone that standsout with clear abilities to run this country, rep or dem. I'll vote for hillary if she runs! I guarantee, Obama will try or maybe have her as his veep because he knows its the only possible chance he has. But again American voters will see right through that!

exhaustedandtired/1208

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next