Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Long-term unemployment wreaks mental toll on jobless EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Long-term unemployment wreaks mental toll on jobless EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Long-term unemployment wreaks mental toll on jobless EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Long-term unemployment wreaks mental toll on jobless EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Long-term unemployment wreaks mental toll on jobless EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Long-term unemployment wreaks mental toll on jobless EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Long-term unemployment wreaks mental toll on jobless EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Long-term unemployment wreaks mental toll on jobless EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Long-term unemployment wreaks mental toll on jobless EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Long-term unemployment wreaks mental toll on jobless EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Long-term unemployment wreaks mental toll on jobless EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Long-term unemployment wreaks mental toll on jobless EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Long-term unemployment wreaks mental toll on jobless EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Long-term unemployment wreaks mental toll on jobless EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Long-term unemployment wreaks mental toll on jobless EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Long-term unemployment wreaks mental toll on jobless

4 posters

Go down

Long-term unemployment wreaks mental toll on jobless Empty Long-term unemployment wreaks mental toll on jobless

Post by Guest Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:08 am

Congress has extended unemployment benefits repeatedly in recent years, up to 99 weeks, though further extensions aren't likely as lawmakers wrestle with huge budget deficits.

Experts on the psychology of unemployment said America was falling short on addressing the issues raised by those out of work. Experts also warn that if the United States ignores the issue, the country will pay a price in the future with increased costs for mental health coverage.

"When you have 14 million people who are unemployed and you extrapolate those figures going forward to the future, we're going to have a lot of health problems, a lot of psychological health problems to cope with," said Bob Leahy, a psychologist and the head of the American Institute for Cognitive Therapy in New York.

Jerald Jellison, a professor of psychology at the University of Southern California, said that when people lost their jobs, they tended to withdraw from society, shy away from seeing friends and stay holed up at home.

"Even when you meet old friends, they're probably going to be asking you, 'Have you found a job yet'? And even if they've learned not to ask you that, you know that's what's on their mind," he said.

"And so rather than face that embarrassment and awkwardness, that's one of the other forces that drives people to withdraw and not participate in social activities," he added.

Read more: http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/08/15/1415276/long-term-unemployment-wreaks.html#ixzz1VBmNg7vb

Back to top Go down

Long-term unemployment wreaks mental toll on jobless Empty Re: Long-term unemployment wreaks mental toll on jobless

Post by Hunterforjobs Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:23 am

I can see this. I never thought it would happen to me but it has. Stress and anxiety wreaks havoc on the body. It sucks. I'm getting back into meditation, occupying my mind with learning to draw--I'm horrible right now lol--and other things just to keep my mind off things so I don't slip into depression. I'm not social, don't go to family gatherings and have lost every friend. HS reunion coming up, not about to attend, didn't go when i was employed not about to go now. Don't spend alot of time online either as a substitute.
Hunterforjobs
Hunterforjobs

Back to top Go down

Long-term unemployment wreaks mental toll on jobless Empty Re: Long-term unemployment wreaks mental toll on jobless

Post by nfpexec Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:29 pm

I agree whole heartedly b/c my mental & physical state has deteriorated. What do you expect when you are consumed 24/7 with finding a job and knowing that bills are due that you can't pay. There's never a peaceful moment. The frustration and anxiety overwhelms you. In the beginning I tried to keep some semblance of a normal life but as the money dwindled with no signs of a job I spent more time alone, for one reason I can't afford to go out. Lunch, movie even the subway is a struggle. I count every cent I have & never buy anything before analyzing whether I can afford to spend $5 or should I save it for something more important.
nfpexec
nfpexec

Back to top Go down

Post by nfpexec Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:42 pm

When I first lost my job and was getting unemployment I'd go to bed around midnight and wake up reasonably early. Over the last 3 years I've started going to bed at 1, then 2, then 3 now its around 4 or 4:30 and even then I can't sleep. I take advil for the headache that never goes away. I'm breaking out all over my body and my stomach feels like I'm riding a rollercoaster. I am so angry then depressed then sad.

Why don't people understand what's happening here? This is wrecking the country!!!! People who had lives and were trying to move forward to achieve whatever it is they wanted, sees those lives lying in ruins at their feet surrounding by collection notices. I'm over 50 and can't make up this lost ground EVER!
nfpexec
nfpexec

Back to top Go down

Post by Hunterforjobs Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:15 pm

They don't care. I noticed that trend with a job I applied for and responded at 11 pm at night, they didn't care if I showed up or not, just a courtesy email. I'm not at the computer 24/7. And when I responded with my car is in the shop and I could borrow a car if they could postpone it an hour later, the response was, I don't know if everyone would be here. Survival of the fittest is the motto right now.
Hunterforjobs
Hunterforjobs

Back to top Go down

Post by JoanB Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:19 pm

I know it's not much, but I care. And I keep reminding everyone around me that you guys are still out there and try to volunteer and donate as much as I can. I wish I could do more.
sorry

JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Post by TR11005 Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:08 pm

What even makes it even mentally harder is when you return after being unemployed for a long time to a job or jobs and it winds up short term it can be more devastating. You go from contract assignment to contract assignment with no stability with job gaps making things worse. Today, most jobs are either contract or temporary. How are workers that had years of stability going to adjust.

A few weeks off can be welcomed. When there are few opportunities and grows into months, it is really challenging. Many unemployed are in this situation. They were struggling before 2008. When older workers loose there permanent work, it makes it impossible to work permanent. Now many older workers can't retire. Talk about depression, we live it in our mind!

TR11005

Back to top Go down

Post by nfpexec Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:34 pm

I was watching a program and someone said the unemployed are invisible. No one knows them unless they are highlighted on the news. They're just numbers and statistics. I saw a woman who said she used to make 100,000 as a textile designer now she's living in a tent city in Jersey. She and her husband are viewed as a public nuisance, the homeless, bums, slackers who are too lazy to get a job.

If I get dressed and walk down the street to buy toothpaste who can tell that I've been out of work since 2008?

nfpexec
nfpexec

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down