Latest topics
» I see this board has been quiet
Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Wed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:01 pm by member

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:33 am by 

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

» things are going to get worst
Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:51 pm by 

Social Networks
December 2016
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
    123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

Calendar Calendar


Need to get this out...

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Need to get this out...

Post by UnemploymentStatistic421 on Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:10 am

I’ve been waiting to get this out for over a year now.

I graduated in May of 2010 from a Top 50 Business School. I had good grades, was very involved on campus, and even had two great internships. It never crossed my mind that the biggest obstacle in my life would become underemployment.

Today, I make $8.65 an hour performing data entry at a medium-sized company. Despite my excellent credentials, hard work, and outstanding performance appraisal; I was given a fifteen cent raise at the end of the year. I am a firm believer that as an employer you pay your employees what they are worth. I give every single fiber of my being to this job - however mundane - in order to be the best employee I can be. The problem is, I’m beginning to feel like I’m worth $8.65 an hour.

How do you go from being on the precipice of your future to rock bottom? I never thought I’d spend my 20’s eating Ramen and living with my parents. Is this really where we’re at now? As a country? Is prosperity something we’ve lost?

I guess I just don’t know how to deal with the disappointment. I’m disappointed in myself. What am I not doing right? I went from being a happy college student with a bright future to a drone.

Every day while I’m sitting at my desk entering numbers for hours on end, I can’t help but become overwhelmed with the emotion of my situation. Anger, rage, depression, anxiety, fear, disappointment - - - all at once! It takes every ounce of my being sometimes not to just throw that computer out the window.

I often think about that guy last year who got fed up with his job as a flight attendant. He grabbed a beer and the PA microphone in order to deliver his rant. When he finished, he dropped the plane’s emergency slide onto the tarmac and slid out in style. How many of the employed feel this way? The unemployed can’t feel much better. What happened?

I just know that if something doesn’t change soon I will lose my mind. It’s not so much about the money as it is simply being respected as an employee. If someone had just said once to me, “David, I know you’re overqualified for this job but I want you to know that we appreciate you,” I would feel so much better.

UnemploymentStatistic421
Member

Posts : 2
Join date : 2011-07-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Need to get this out...

Post by Jobless_in_Ma on Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:29 am

If it's any consolation, you are not alone in feeling this way. I recently took a major pay cut from my previous job. Also it could be worse, at least you have a job. Many would jump at the opportunity.


_________________
Thanks to all members for participating in the discussions.

Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

Posts : 2348
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 42
Location : Ma

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Need to get this out...

Post by MoInSTL on Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:11 am

Welcome to the forum.

At least you work in AC and are young and are working.

I suggest focusing as much as you can on getting another job. You have a much better chance of moving on since you are working. Perhaps doing that will empower you. Make looking for a new job your job. At least you will feel like you have some control over your destiny. It may take some time, but don't give up!

So you are living with your parents and eating Ramen?

MoInSTL
Member

Posts : 317
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 61

Back to top Go down

Re: Need to get this out...

Post by TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA on Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:24 am

I have posted the comment below in other threads and I feel it applies here also.

While there are many young people like you out of work or under-unemployed, YOU HAVE TIME ON YOUR SIDE! Things will get better for you. Those of us 55 and over are RUNNING OUT OF TIME. We have slim prospects of getting another job and some members of Congress want us all to DROP DEAD so they will use our money to keep Social Security and Medicare solvent for future generations. Oh, and did I mention job discrimination against older workers? The sad thing about it is that we cannot prove it. American companies need to rethink their hiring criteria for older workers and see us for what we really are; a valuable resource that will work hard, be loyal, and not care about climbing the corporate ladder.

TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA
Member

Posts : 329
Join date : 2011-02-21
Location : Pennsylvania

Back to top Go down

Re: Need to get this out...

Post by MoInSTL on Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:48 am

I agree completely with the above post. My last interview was back in January. I used what I had left from my last unemployment check in December to get a hair cut, hair color, dry cleaning and LOTS of gas to go to four interviews at the same place (had to meet an HR person and pass behavioral interview questions first. Interviewed for one position and must have been the runner up as the manager referred me to another site and had the initial interview and second interview). I was told they "decided to go with a recent graduate". It cost me $45. Silly me, I thought it was a good investment at the time. Left me totally broke and self-esteem plummeted. I didn't leave my house for 3 days. It takes its toll.

I have a resume that I "aged proofed" by leaving off certain dates, etc. I think they were shocked by my age.

MoInSTL
Member

Posts : 317
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 61

Back to top Go down

Re: Need to get this out...

Post by Riled American on Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:10 am

So much for the Prez. Telling us to go to college. Maybe you should've become a teacher. That's what we were sold in the state of the union address America needs teachers. You should have learned Chinese, Sasha Obama speaks Chinese and the Prez stressed we should learn the language. So much for Gibbs, McCain and all at the White house says the answer to unemployment is to get retrained. What do you think you did wrong?

Some Obama facts:
Because people need to be able to train for new jobs and careers in today’s fast-changing economy, we are also revitalizing America’s community colleges.
President Obama's 9-Year-Old Practiced Phrases with Chinese Leader ... noted President Obama has said his daughter was studying Chinese in her class. ... children learn easily.

"President Obama is painting a very positive picture for the country. Very motivational especially regarding education and where we need to go as a nation to really compete in this global economy,"
Specifically, Obama will focus on improving the education, innovation and infrastructure of the United States as the way to provide a sounder economic base

State of the Union speech to focus on jobs: Obama: President Barack Obama said on Saturday he would use his annual State of the Union address to urge both parties to act to lift U.S. growth and create more jobs.
“My number one focus is going to be making sure that we are competitive, that we are growing, and we are creating jobs not just now but well into the future,” he said in a video e-mailed to members of his Organizing for America grassroots movement.

In fact, to every young person listening tonight who’s contemplating their career choice: If you want to make a difference in the life of our nation; if you want to make a difference in the life of a child – become a teacher. Your country needs you.

Riled American
Member

Posts : 22
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 55
Location : Liberty, Ky.

Back to top Go down

Re: Need to get this out...

Post by 462Tech on Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:42 am

Riled American wrote:So much for the Prez. Telling us to go to college. Maybe you should've become a teacher. That's what we were sold in the state of the union address America needs teachers. You should have learned Chinese, Sasha Obama speaks Chinese and the Prez stressed we should learn the language. So much for Gibbs, McCain and all at the White house says the answer to unemployment is to get retrained. What do you think you did wrong?

Some Obama facts:
Because people need to be able to train for new jobs and careers in today’s fast-changing economy, we are also revitalizing America’s community colleges.
President Obama's 9-Year-Old Practiced Phrases with Chinese Leader ... noted President Obama has said his daughter was studying Chinese in her class. ... children learn easily.

"President Obama is painting a very positive picture for the country. Very motivational especially regarding education and where we need to go as a nation to really compete in this global economy,"
Specifically, Obama will focus on improving the education, innovation and infrastructure of the United States as the way to provide a sounder economic base

State of the Union speech to focus on jobs: Obama: President Barack Obama said on Saturday he would use his annual State of the Union address to urge both parties to act to lift U.S. growth and create more jobs.
“My number one focus is going to be making sure that we are competitive, that we are growing, and we are creating jobs not just now but well into the future,” he said in a video e-mailed to members of his Organizing for America grassroots movement.

In fact, to every young person listening tonight who’s contemplating their career choice: If you want to make a difference in the life of our nation; if you want to make a difference in the life of a child – become a teacher. Your country needs you.

Little Sasha has some advantages; Her father is president, her family is weathly and she goes to a private school. What about the kids that go to public school and whose parents live pay check to pay check or who are unemployed? Not trying to bash the kids, but ALOT of people need a healthy dose of reality....

462Tech
Member

Posts : 36
Join date : 2011-07-11
Age : 50
Location : Texas

Back to top Go down

Re: Need to get this out...

Post by TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA on Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:01 pm

MoInSTL wrote:I agree completely with the above post. My last interview was back in January. I used what I had left from my last unemployment check in December to get a hair cut, hair color, dry cleaning and LOTS of gas to go to four interviews at the same place (had to meet an HR person and pass behavioral interview questions first. Interviewed for one position and must have been the runner up as the manager referred me to another site and had the initial interview and second interview). I was told they "decided to go with a recent graduate". It cost me $45. Silly me, I thought it was a good investment at the time. Left me totally broke and self-esteem plummeted. I didn't leave my house for 3 days. It takes its toll.

I have a resume that I "aged proofed" by leaving off certain dates, etc. I think they were shocked by my age.

Age proofing a resume is a good thing. But what do you do when they love your qualifications and call you in for the interview? They see how old you are and the job goes to someone younger. Has happened to my husband so many times that my blood boils. This has also happened with an IRS job that he got called in for the interview. They say the government does not discriminate, but I have my doubts. Most of the people at the interview site were much younger than him.

TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA
Member

Posts : 329
Join date : 2011-02-21
Location : Pennsylvania

Back to top Go down

Re: Need to get this out...

Post by nfpexec on Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:45 pm

Age and long term unemployment are a double edged sword. You face discrimination on both fronts. I was watching a show about a woman screenwriter who said accurately, the trajectory from 30 to 50 is very different from the one between 50 and 70. The host said if you are over 50 and out of work, you will have a very hard time finding a new position. I can attest to that. If I didnt feel old and obsolete the market has reinforced that every time i apply for a job.

nfpexec
Member

Posts : 194
Join date : 2011-03-22
Location : new york

Back to top Go down

Re: Need to get this out...

Post by TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA on Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:59 pm

nfpexec wrote:Age and long term unemployment are a double edged sword. You face discrimination on both fronts. I was watching a show about a woman screenwriter who said accurately, the trajectory from 30 to 50 is very different from the one between 50 and 70. The host said if you are over 50 and out of work, you will have a very hard time finding a new position. I can attest to that. If I didnt feel old and obsolete the market has reinforced that every time i apply for a job.

Totally agree. And they say you are as young as you feel? Well, at this point we feel like 95. We are in limbo right now, too old to hire, too young to retire. They need to modify the retirement age to take into account people like us. I know this is a dream, but something has to be done.

TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA
Member

Posts : 329
Join date : 2011-02-21
Location : Pennsylvania

Back to top Go down

Re: Need to get this out...

Post by Redpossum on Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:07 pm

Yup, yup, they don't seem to realize that roughly 74% of us 99ers are over fifty years of age. There is a strong element of age discrimination in our fate, but nobody in Washington wants to hear about that, either.

Redpossum
Member

Posts : 119
Join date : 2011-03-15
Age : 57

http://possumhole.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Need to get this out...

Post by TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA on Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:43 pm

Redpossum wrote:Yup, yup, they don't seem to realize that roughly 74% of us 99ers are over fifty years of age. There is a strong element of age discrimination in our fate, but nobody in Washington wants to hear about that, either.

It is sad because we never thought we would see ourselves as old when we are in our 50's, with no light at the end of the tunnel. That's what long-term unemployment has done.

TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA
Member

Posts : 329
Join date : 2011-02-21
Location : Pennsylvania

Back to top Go down

Re: Need to get this out...

Post by UnemploymentStatistic421 on Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:29 pm

The real question is...what do we do about it? I feel like that is what will define my generation. How will we preserver and overcome this mess that the baby boomers got us in? Shocked

UnemploymentStatistic421
Member

Posts : 2
Join date : 2011-07-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Need to get this out...

Post by Sad American on Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:35 pm

UnemploymentStatistic421 wrote:The real question is...what do we do about it? I feel like that is what will define my generation. How will we preserver and overcome this mess that the baby boomers got us in? Shocked

There is an AWFUL LOT of blame to go around! Please quit blaming the "baby boomers." I'd like to know just what we did? I didn't do it; my husband didn't do it; our friends didn't do it. We are all baby boomers. The corporations and our own government did it!

Sad American
Member

Posts : 153
Join date : 2011-02-21
Location : Riverside, CA

Back to top Go down

Re: Need to get this out...

Post by TR11005 on Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:33 am

It is very rare that any employer says we appreciate you.

Today, when your working, your more of a nuisance. Your just a necessary part of the budget.

The young workers are being cheated by not having an opportunity for going to school.

The older workers are pushed out to pasture way before their time. They have people who can worker cheaper. Never mind your excellent skills, which could be used to train the younger workers.

TR11005
Member

Posts : 541
Join date : 2011-02-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Need to get this out...

Post by Riled American on Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:16 am

TR11005 wrote:It is very rare that any employer says we appreciate you.

Today, when your working, your more of a nuisance. Your just a necessary part of the budget.

The young workers are being cheated by not having an opportunity for going to school.

The older workers are pushed out to pasture way before their time. They have people who can worker cheaper. Never mind your excellent skills, which could be used to train the younger workers.

Well said and true.

Riled American
Member

Posts : 22
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 55
Location : Liberty, Ky.

Back to top Go down

Re: Need to get this out...

Post by rprp on Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:39 am

I agree that the one thing (well, you have several things going for you) is time is on your side. Things will turn around (I hope) and you will have more opportunities. I agree to make looking for another job your
job and just keep doing the best you can where you are.

rprp
Member

Posts : 58
Join date : 2011-07-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Need to get this out...

Post by Redpossum on Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:12 am

UnemploymentStatistic421 wrote:The real question is...what do we do about it? I feel like that is what will define my generation. How will we preserver and overcome this mess that the baby boomers got us in? Shocked

Yeah, blaming us boomers is questionable.

On the one hand, we didn't directly create the problem; the rich and powerful did that, the bankers and brokers did that, the military-industrial complex did that.

On the other hand, it did happen on our watch.

To quote Peter S. Beagle from his foreword to LOTR, "The Sixties were no fouler a decade than the Fifties - they merely reaped the Fifties' foul harvest".

In the end, this issue is another form of "divide and conquer". We have to set it aside and work together.

And honestly, unemploymentstatistic421, I envy you. I'd trade places with you in a heartbeat. You are young. You have a JOB, which I cannot seem to find to save my soul.

Redpossum
Member

Posts : 119
Join date : 2011-03-15
Age : 57

http://possumhole.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Need to get this out...

Post by TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA on Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:19 pm

Sad American wrote:
UnemploymentStatistic421 wrote:The real question is...what do we do about it? I feel like that is what will define my generation. How will we preserver and overcome this mess that the baby boomers got us in? Shocked

There is an AWFUL LOT of blame to go around! Please quit blaming the "baby boomers." I'd like to know just what we did? I didn't do it; my husband didn't do it; our friends didn't do it. We are all baby boomers. The corporations and our own government did it!

Totally agree with you SAD. We are so sick and tired of everything being blamed on the boomers. When we worked, we saw plenty of young people who had the attitude of "How much vacation do I get?" "Is it 5 o'clock yet?" etc, etc. I am not pinning this on all the young workers. However, it is a fact that many boomers were raised by parents who taught them the same hard work ethics that they used after living through the Great Depression.

TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA
Member

Posts : 329
Join date : 2011-02-21
Location : Pennsylvania

Back to top Go down

Re: Need to get this out...

Post by Guest on Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:24 pm

TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA wrote:
Sad American wrote:
UnemploymentStatistic421 wrote:The real question is...what do we do about it? I feel like that is what will define my generation. How will we preserver and overcome this mess that the baby boomers got us in? Shocked

There is an AWFUL LOT of blame to go around! Please quit blaming the "baby boomers." I'd like to know just what we did? I didn't do it; my husband didn't do it; our friends didn't do it. We are all baby boomers. The corporations and our own government did it!

Totally agree with you SAD. We are so sick and tired of everything being blamed on the boomers. When we worked, we saw plenty of young people who had the attitude of "How much vacation do I get?" "Is it 5 o'clock yet?" etc, etc. I am not pinning this on all the young workers. However, it is a fact that many boomers were raised by parents who taught them the same hard work ethics that they used after living through the Great Depression.
Why is everyone starting to blame the baby boomers now? We built the economy when it was doing well, we worked our butts off to give the younger generation a better life. Now WE are paying for it! It is not our fault - it is the fault of corporate greed and self-serving politicians. Evil or Very Mad

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Need to get this out...

Post by americatheneedy on Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:20 pm

Right there with you unemployment statistic, doing the exact same job you are for even less pay, also graduated summa cum laude etc. and wonder what the hell is wrong with me?? You are not alone. I feel like I should have just partied like everyone else if this was all that was waiting on me. Oh btw just get a few hours a week. Underemployed doesn't begin to cover it.

americatheneedy
Member

Posts : 311
Join date : 2011-02-21
Location : North Carolina

Back to top Go down

Re: Need to get this out...

Post by Guest on Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:26 pm

Let's here it for the Baby Boomers!!!! We most definitely are NOT to blame for this mess. We ARE suffering just as much if not more than others, most too young to retire and considered too old and expensive to insure by most employers, that is if they were seriously looking to hire, but they aren't as we well know.

Now if you said poor government planning, fake, funny numbers on Wall Street, the Stock Market, the Mortgage Industry in total and Tax Cuts combined with a real unemployment of 16.5% if not higher and GREED. That's whats to blame. NOT THE BABY BOOMERS. We are all in this together not the time or place to start pointing fingers and blaming one another.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Need to get this out...

Post by Riled American on Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:15 pm

MaryKay wrote:Let's here it for the Baby Boomers!!!! We most definitely are NOT to blame for this mess. We ARE suffering just as much if not more than others, most too young to retire and considered too old and expensive to insure by most employers, that is if they were seriously looking to hire, but they aren't as we well know.

Now if you said poor government planning, fake, funny numbers on Wall Street, the Stock Market, the Mortgage Industry in total and Tax Cuts combined with a real unemployment of 16.5% if not higher and GREED. That's whats to blame. NOT THE BABY BOOMERS. We are all in this together not the time or place to start pointing fingers and blaming one another.

Well said.

Riled American
Member

Posts : 22
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 55
Location : Liberty, Ky.

Back to top Go down

Re: Need to get this out...

Post by rprp on Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:04 am

Well, I guess I see both sides of the story. On the one hand, you've got someone like the OP who certainly seems to demonstrate the work ethic values we boomers were raised with and it must be frustrating to end up making $8.65 an hour. Gosh, I think I was making more than that in 1982 while I was going to college and I remember upon graduation this bank automatically gave you a good exempt job. So they are dealing often with massive debt and low wages.

I can see our side. I'll play devil's advocate and say we were responsible for voting in the politicians we have and not going with someone like a Ralph Nader or a Ron Paul (although he was not running back then). I think we really would have our best chance with those like Dennis Kucinich, Bernie Sanders (who has not run yet), and Howard Dean. Anyway, enough of politics.

We are the same victims of what has happened at our age as those of a younger age except time is on their side and not ours. Also, it's always been that to get a good job you have to have the experience and it's hard to get the experience if no one will give you a chance. And by the time one reaches a certain age one is viewed in a different and often less positive light when trying to get a job after unemployment and it's always been that way too.

The whole thing stinks all the way around. I don't know what the answer is, except I've decided to watch a couple hours of TV each day (which I am not big on) just to escape and get my mind off reality. My day is pretty much worrying constantly and listening to political talk radio and that only goes so far.

Well, 3 a.m. and going to make some coffee and start packing more boxes. One good thing about being unemployed, you get to have crazy hours and can take lots of naps.

rprp
Member

Posts : 58
Join date : 2011-07-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Need to get this out...

Post by Sad American on Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:52 pm

I-for one-voted for Dennis Kucinich against Gore in the Primaries...
(I knew Gore wouldn't win.)
My husband hasn't worked for minimum wage for 40 years - and he has to be thankful he found a full-time job with no raisies and no benefits!
Me? I can't even find one of those part-time jobs...

Sad American
Member

Posts : 153
Join date : 2011-02-21
Location : Riverside, CA

Back to top Go down

Re: Need to get this out...

Post by Sponsored content Today at 8:52 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum