Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Congress' Real Deadline: Summer Vacation  EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Congress' Real Deadline: Summer Vacation  EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Congress' Real Deadline: Summer Vacation  EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Congress' Real Deadline: Summer Vacation  EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Congress' Real Deadline: Summer Vacation  EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Congress' Real Deadline: Summer Vacation  EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Congress' Real Deadline: Summer Vacation  EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Congress' Real Deadline: Summer Vacation  EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Congress' Real Deadline: Summer Vacation  EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Congress' Real Deadline: Summer Vacation  EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Congress' Real Deadline: Summer Vacation  EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Congress' Real Deadline: Summer Vacation  EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Congress' Real Deadline: Summer Vacation  EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Congress' Real Deadline: Summer Vacation  EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Congress' Real Deadline: Summer Vacation  EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Congress' Real Deadline: Summer Vacation

5 posters

Go down

Congress' Real Deadline: Summer Vacation  Empty Congress' Real Deadline: Summer Vacation

Post by Guest Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:23 am

One way or another, it's a pretty safe bet that the issue will (at least temporarily) be resolved by the fifth of August, at the absolute latest. Bank on it. The reason for such certainty is a simple one: if the debate goes on in any way past that date, then it will start to cut into Congress' month-long summer vacation. Which is (as any observer of American politics should know full well) the one unthinkable bridge-too-far in Washington. Because Congress' vacations are sacred... at least, to them.

Politically, Congress would have to stay in session if the economy was collapsing around us. Obama would demand Congress stay until the work was done, and the American people would back him up with a roar. The portion of the working public who gets to take twenty weeks off (paid, of course) every year is, to be blunt, non-existent. Congress' normal "August recess" would become the main story, if they foolishly chose to actually go home after such a fiasco.

Which is why I, for one, know that by the end of next Friday, Congress will have passed something or another which President Obama will sign. I have no idea what it'll be, but the alternative for the Congresscritters is so unthinkable -- having to actually work during August in the Washington miasmic heat -- that I know that something is going to get done. Call me cynical, but it's almost always a winning bet that Congress -- under no circumstances -- ever cuts back on its own vacation time. By the end of next week, at the absolute latest, Congress will act. And then they'll fly back home to enjoy their summer vacation, as usual.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chris-weigant/congress-summer-vacation_b_911486.html

Back to top Go down

Congress' Real Deadline: Summer Vacation  Empty Re: Congress' Real Deadline: Summer Vacation

Post by 462Tech Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:45 am

Agreed. Two things that hurt everybody; money and time off.

462Tech

Back to top Go down

Congress' Real Deadline: Summer Vacation  Empty Re: Congress' Real Deadline: Summer Vacation

Post by TruthBTold Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:58 am

This is EXACTLY what I have been thinking for a few weeks now. They let this debt debate go on and on for weeks, distracting them from having to do any other important legislation about jobs and well, what do ya know, it's time for vacation.

TruthBTold

Back to top Go down

Post by Kulkulkan Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:11 pm

We should do to Congress (as well as certain state legislatures) what they do to the Cardinals at the Vatican; Conclave. This Latin word means "with key", that is, the Cardinals are literally locked down in the Sistine Chapel until they choose a new Pope! Once, in the Middle Ages, the people of Rome took the roof off since the election was taking too long.

No pay or time off until the work is done! Congress is elected to do our work, and should be punished for not doing so. When I was "allowed" to work, such negligence would have resulted in at least a good reprimand, if not a firing. Should not those in charge of this mess have the same treatment? Evil or Very Mad
Kulkulkan
Kulkulkan

Back to top Go down

Post by 462Tech Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:50 pm

Kulkulkan wrote:We should do to Congress (as well as certain state legislatures) what they do to the Cardinals at the Vatican; Conclave. This Latin word means "with key", that is, the Cardinals are literally locked down in the Sistine Chapel until they choose a new Pope! Once, in the Middle Ages, the people of Rome took the roof off since the election was taking too long.

No pay or time off until the work is done! Congress is elected to do our work, and should be punished for not doing so. When I was "allowed" to work, such negligence would have resulted in at least a good reprimand, if not a firing. Should not those in charge of this mess have the same treatment? Evil or Very Mad

Yes I agree with you, the American people should hold the politicians accountable for their actions or lack of. Todays government isn't about the people. A politician running for office will say what the public wants to hear. Once in office said politician has their own interests/agenda not the American people. Sad, but true.

462Tech

Back to top Go down

Post by Riled American Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:34 am

462Tech wrote:
Kulkulkan wrote:We should do to Congress (as well as certain state legislatures) what they do to the Cardinals at the Vatican; Conclave. This Latin word means "with key", that is, the Cardinals are literally locked down in the Sistine Chapel until they choose a new Pope! Once, in the Middle Ages, the people of Rome took the roof off since the election was taking too long.

Yes I agree with you, the American people should hold the politicians accountable for their actions or lack of. Todays government isn't about the people. A politician running for office will say what the public wants to hear. Once in office said politician has their own interests/agenda not the American people. Sad, but true.

Congress' Real Deadline: Summer Vacation  9685 Well said.
Riled American
Riled American

Back to top Go down

Post by 462Tech Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:04 am

I got thinking this morning, so congress will take the whole month of August off. Why? The last company I worked for, vacation time was earned not given. You had to be with the company for a year to get a week off and 5 years to get two weeks off. Why can't our government from the president on down use the same system? Imagine the amount of work that could be done. I know this is a pipe dream and will never become a reality, but it's nice to dream sometimes...

462Tech

Back to top Go down

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:10 am

5 months off per year! Sign me up!
Celebrate
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:48 am

There will be no vacation for anyone if they don't get this done by the weekend. The banks, the ratings agencies and the IMF and Euro have been hitting them all hard. And they have to make some cuts to retain the AAA rating, not just extend the ceiling the debt is too high, so it will be an interesting weekend. Alot will depend on what the markets do, and as much as I hate it, I don't want to see anyone's 401k get chopped like mine did three years ago when it all started. For me it doesn't matter now, it's all gone, but the millions it does and I have no desire to see them suffer like we haven been. Congress' Real Deadline: Summer Vacation  34243

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down