Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Millions of Long-Term Unemployed Are Living Desperately on the Edge EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Millions of Long-Term Unemployed Are Living Desperately on the Edge EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Millions of Long-Term Unemployed Are Living Desperately on the Edge EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Millions of Long-Term Unemployed Are Living Desperately on the Edge EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Millions of Long-Term Unemployed Are Living Desperately on the Edge EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Millions of Long-Term Unemployed Are Living Desperately on the Edge EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Millions of Long-Term Unemployed Are Living Desperately on the Edge EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Millions of Long-Term Unemployed Are Living Desperately on the Edge EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Millions of Long-Term Unemployed Are Living Desperately on the Edge EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Millions of Long-Term Unemployed Are Living Desperately on the Edge EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Millions of Long-Term Unemployed Are Living Desperately on the Edge EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Millions of Long-Term Unemployed Are Living Desperately on the Edge EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Millions of Long-Term Unemployed Are Living Desperately on the Edge EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Millions of Long-Term Unemployed Are Living Desperately on the Edge EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Millions of Long-Term Unemployed Are Living Desperately on the Edge EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Millions of Long-Term Unemployed Are Living Desperately on the Edge

5 posters

Go down

Millions of Long-Term Unemployed Are Living Desperately on the Edge Empty Millions of Long-Term Unemployed Are Living Desperately on the Edge

Post by Guest Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:30 pm

With the GOP controlling the House, the chances for further unemployment extensions, or job assistance, regardless of the unemployment rate, are slight. Congressional Republicans are more concerned about bashing Obama about the current jobs situation than doing anything to improve matters. Republicans believe that more tax cuts and unfavorable trade agreements will be the cure-all for a long-simmering jobs crisis. And the Democrat controlled Senate is incapable of pushing forward jobs legislation due to GOP (and some Democrats) resistance.

That leaves President Obama and his mighty bully pulpit to stand up firmly and empathetically for the long-term unemployed. Wrongly, Obama completely ignores these long-suffering millions. As an example, during the president's recent Twitterfest he answered some jobs questions, but he was never offered a question about what he was willing to do for the long-term unemployed and 99ers who have exhausted all unemployment benefits. The Chicago Tribune picked up on that oversight when they released "Best Tweets Obama didn't answer." The best tweet?

Why is so little being done for the 6.2 million long-term unemployed? Why have 99ers been abandoned by Congress and White House? (Full disclosure, that was the tweet of this blogger.)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-thornton/hope-is-gone-the-future-i_b_906143.html?ref=tw

Back to top Go down

Millions of Long-Term Unemployed Are Living Desperately on the Edge Empty Re: Millions of Long-Term Unemployed Are Living Desperately on the Edge

Post by TruthBTold Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:49 pm

Well, on the one hand, I am glad to see an article being written about the Long Term Unemployed. In the other hand, I do not feel very optimistic after reading it..... Crying or Very sad

TruthBTold

Back to top Go down

Millions of Long-Term Unemployed Are Living Desperately on the Edge Empty Re: Millions of Long-Term Unemployed Are Living Desperately on the Edge

Post by couth11 Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:30 am

Maybe they're waiting until there are billions of us, and we are all clearly disenfranchised, before they do something. Or maybe they think some us will make it & some of us won't, but we'll be too poor to get to a voting booth. Outside of ourselves, and not counting the random article about us, we really don't have anyone really acting on our behalves.
couth11
couth11

Back to top Go down

Post by jmainframe Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:36 am

This time, I'm going to give congress the benefit of the doubt, and say they would help the long-term unemployed if they could. I just get the sense that this nation's economy is so damaged that they simply don't have the resources to do it.

Of course, that does the long-term unemployed no good, because everyone, including many in congress still act as though they did something wrong to put themselves in their present situation. That it's the long-term unemployed alone who are suffering through this depression, and not everyone else.
jmainframe
jmainframe

Back to top Go down

Post by couth11 Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:56 am

I'm still pondering the idea that we are unemployable. If it is true, then what are we supposed to do?
couth11
couth11

Back to top Go down

Post by Judi58 Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:44 pm

I think we will be the pawns in the 2012 elections... each will blame the other. With no answers... only promises...
Judi58
Judi58

Back to top Go down

Post by Hunterforjobs Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:10 pm

I've noticed reporters never ask the hard questions. Are they afraid or just amateur?
Hunterforjobs
Hunterforjobs

Back to top Go down

Post by couth11 Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:14 pm

I think they're afraid of rocking the boat, and offending the sensibilities of the great god-like families who own the media. 99ers dying, becoming homeless or going to jail doesn't seem to offend them in the least.
couth11
couth11

Back to top Go down

Millions of Long-Term Unemployed Are Living Desperately on the Edge Empty The Future Is Terrifying: 6.2 Million Long-Term Unemployed Living On The Edge Of Disaster

Post by Guest Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:41 pm

http://www.alternet.org/economy/151763/'the_future_is_terrifying':_6.2_million_long-term_unemployed_living_on_the_edge_of_disaster

Those were the sentiments of D.V. from Modesto, CA, concerning her and her husband’s job situation. She was an eligibility case manager and he was a company representative; both were laid off in 2009. Since then, “My husband and I went from making $150K a year to scraping out (if we're lucky) $24K a year. Don't get me wrong, we are lucky to have even that, but it IS a stark reality to have fallen so far so fast."

Another stark reality is the fact that the jobs market has stalled and job creation has fallen to its lowest level of 2011. The June 2011 employment report contained plenty of bad news; only 18,000 jobs were created, the unemployment rate increased to 9.2 percent, and hourly wages and hours worked both fell slightly. The job creation revisions for April and May were both to the downside.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum