Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Finally had an interview today. EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Finally had an interview today. EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Finally had an interview today. EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Finally had an interview today. EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Finally had an interview today. EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Finally had an interview today. EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Finally had an interview today. EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Finally had an interview today. EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Finally had an interview today. EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Finally had an interview today. EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Finally had an interview today. EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Finally had an interview today. EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Finally had an interview today. EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Finally had an interview today. EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Finally had an interview today. EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Finally had an interview today.

+9
Hunterforjobs
americatheneedy
Jobless_in_Ma
couth11
jmainframe
Sad American
ExhaustedinCA
JoanB
lendmeflight2
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Finally had an interview today. Empty Finally had an interview today.

Post by lendmeflight2 Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:36 pm

I had an interview with Apple retail today. It was really odd. They had group interviews set up for everyone. I was told by someone that they received around 10,000 resumes for 60 positions. They picked 360 of those to come to 12 group interviews.

I went at 1 pm today. It lasted for over two hours. In the introduction they told us how lucky we were to be picked to even get this far. If we don't get hired keep applying. They said it was easier to get into Harvard than to get hired by Apple. They said that Apple accepts a smaller percentage of applicants than Stanford and Harvard both.
First I had to learn about the guy beside me and then we introduced each other to the entire room of 30 people.

After that we watched some videos talking about how great the company is.
The we counted off to 6. I was a 6 so all 6's grouped together. Then all the interviewers traveled around and asked everyone in the group a question. They got all the answers and then everyone met back together again.

They had a question and answer time for the us to ask them questions. A lot of people asked the dumbest questions like "when will this product be released?".
I only had job interview questions. I am not a "cult of Mac" guy and I told them so. I told them I was here because I liked the culture of the company and how their system works. I do believe in the products and use them for some things and I did mention that.

I got out at 3:30 and at 4:15 they called me and asked me to come in on Friday for a second interview. If I pass this I am hired.

This will work out because the job starts on 8/17 and I become a 99er on 8/9.

Here's hoping that it will work out.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Finally had an interview today. Empty Re: Finally had an interview today.

Post by Guest Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:08 pm

Lendme, way to go - sure sounds good for you. Here is an article about Apple's profits, you may really be hiring into a goldmine at the companies place in the World. Good luck.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/07/19/technology/apple_q3_earnings/index.htm?iid=HP_LN

Back to top Go down

Post by JoanB Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:20 pm

Good luck, lendme!
JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Post by ExhaustedinCA Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:30 pm

Good luck to you lendme!
ExhaustedinCA
ExhaustedinCA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sad American Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:19 pm

Good luck, my friend...
Sad American
Sad American

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:05 am

Thanks for all the kind words friends. I hope I can get this and still stick around and help everyone that I can.

I have actually already talked to the guy that will interview me on Friday so barring some calamity, I should do well.

lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by jmainframe Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:23 am

Congrats so far Lendme. Hope everything goes well Friday and you get the job!
jmainframe
jmainframe

Back to top Go down

Post by couth11 Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:22 am

Wow10,000 apps. AND you made it to the 2nd interview. That says something! Good luck with the 2nd round. I hope you get it- it sounds right.
couth11
couth11

Back to top Go down

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:34 am

That is excellent news!! Im praying for ya buddy!

Finally had an interview today. 468390
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:18 am

Congrats Lendme!!! Im praying for you. thats amazing that you made it to a second interview with all those applicants! I wish you the best of luck!!

Finally had an interview today. 938557

Back to top Go down

Post by americatheneedy Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:12 pm

Good luck!!!
americatheneedy
americatheneedy

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:04 pm

Well, I went for my final interview with Apple retail today.

I showed up a little early and didn't have to wait long. I interviewed with a guy I had never seen before.

It was kind of tough, I'm not sure what the right answer to some of his questions were.

He asked me to talk about myself and I took care to mention the things that I know apple will be passionate about.

He asked me what I thought my greatest weakness working there was. This was an off way for him to ask this question. I figured he would ask me to name a weakness. I mentioned I had a lot of anxiety about speaking in front of a large group of people but that I overcame that to do well in their group interview and in other areas in my life. I don't know if that really answered his question.

He asked me about how busy their stores get and I talk about multitasking and that had to be what he was looking for.

I talked about using Apple products to work on my music and about being a musician in general because I know that the arts is a big deal and most of the people that go to work for them are artists, writers and musicians.

He asked me when I had to deliver bad news or hard news to a co-worker or a peer. This one was hard. I told him about a time that I had to tell a friend that was working on a project with me that he was taking the project in the wrong direction and that at the end we had a better understanding of each other and the project.

I mentioned at the end that in retail, it's repeat business that builds business and you gain that through relationships with customers. I told them I liked that their company seems to truly believe in that

I don't know how it went. I did the best I could so I have to walk away and be ok with the outcome.

I found out that I had somehow miscalculated my weeks on Unemployment benefits and I will be a 99er after Monday.

Even if I get this job, it won't start until the 17th so I have to go a month with no income.

Just updating everyone.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by Hunterforjobs Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:07 pm

Those questions are weed out questions. I've had those in interviews myself. They have nothing whatsoever to do with the job but I think a amateur psychological profile of you. There is no right or wrong answer per se.

But good luck.

Hunterforjobs
Hunterforjobs

Back to top Go down

Post by couth11 Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:52 pm

lendmeflight2 wrote:I had an interview with Apple retail today. It was really odd. They had group interviews set up for everyone. I was told by someone that they received around 10,000 resumes for 60 positions. They picked 360 of those to come to 12 group interviews.

I went at 1 pm today. It lasted for over two hours. In the introduction they told us how lucky we were to be picked to even get this far. If we don't get hired keep applying. They said it was easier to get into Harvard than to get hired by Apple. They said that Apple accepts a smaller percentage of applicants than Stanford and Harvard both.
First I had to learn about the guy beside me and then we introduced each other to the entire room of 30 people.

After that we watched some videos talking about how great the company is.
The we counted off to 6. I was a 6 so all 6's grouped together. Then all the interviewers traveled around and asked everyone in the group a question. They got all the answers and then everyone met back together again.

They had a question and answer time for the us to ask them questions. A lot of people asked the dumbest questions like "when will this product be released?".
I only had job interview questions. I am not a "cult of Mac" guy and I told them so. I told them I was here because I liked the culture of the company and how their system works. I do believe in the products and use them for some things and I did mention that.

I got out at 3:30 and at 4:15 they called me and asked me to come in on Friday for a second interview. If I pass this I am hired.

This will work out because the job starts on 8/17 and I become a 99er on 8/9.

Here's hoping that it will work out.
Crossing my fingers for you. Sounds like the interview went well!
couth11
couth11

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:12 pm

It didn't go bad in anyway, really, but I have a good read of people and I didn't get the feeling that he "liked" me. Ya know? Like I was definitely on the list? I won't be working for him though. The person who would be my actual boss came by and she seemed to like me OK. I actually have a very close friend who is good friends with her. He is listed as a reference on my resume, I hope she calls him.

I also met the market manager who is like a district manager I guess and that went OK too.

I am not thinking negatively, it's just that they weren't very clear.

I don't know. I know it's my last chance but I think I did as well as I could and I can walk away knowing that.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by jmainframe Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:21 pm

Lendmeflight,

I'll be praying for you tonight!
jmainframe
jmainframe

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:41 pm

Thanks brother.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by JoanB Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:38 pm

I hate when they ask questions like the delivering bad news one that you got...I've gotten ones that have actually never really happened to me, at least not that I could remember, so then I had to make something up on the spot.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for you, lendme!
Finally had an interview today. Finger11
JoanB
JoanB

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:08 pm

Well, I got an email back just now telling me that Apple is moving on with other candidates. I didn't get the part time job. I wonder what other qualities the other candidates had that were better than mine. I have over 15 years retail experience and 5 of them were in management.

Well, I have a possibility with costco and after that I am tapped out.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:23 pm

lendmeflight2 wrote:Well, I got an email back just now telling me that Apple is moving on with other candidates. I didn't get the part time job. I wonder what other qualities the other candidates had that were better than mine. I have over 15 years retail experience and 5 of them were in management.

Well, I have a possibility with costco and after that I am tapped out.

Oh so very sorry to hear this. You don't list your age on your profile, but could it have been that? Good luck with your other job prospect.

TOO OLD TO HIRE IN PA

Back to top Go down

Post by nfpexec Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:31 pm

I'll bet you anything that the experience you have, which yes comes with age, was the deal breaker. I lost a job today too and I am NOT going to beat up on myself because I know they went with younger. This youth obsessed job market and short sightedness to kick older workers to the curb is infuriating!!!

Keep trying and someone will have the insight to understand what you have to offer.
nfpexec
nfpexec

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:40 pm

I'm 37. I don't think that's what it was. I think that the guy that interviewed me didn't think I fit in with their company culture. I doubt it could have been my appearance. my hair is sort of long, past my ears but not down to my shoulder. I just don't think a company like apple, with no dress code, would be that way. I gave all the right answers so I can't imagine that was it. I don't know.

I wonder if I failed the background check. I have never had a criminal record, does anyone else know what can show up?

lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by nfpexec Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:53 pm

How about a credit check? References? But then again you did say that they said it was easier to get into Harvard, which exactly why I didnt apply to Harvard. I like to feel like I have a fighting chance!
nfpexec
nfpexec

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:07 pm

They do take less applicants than Harvard. I think the number they mentioned was that apple hires about 6% of all the people that apply and Harvard takes 12%. I'm sure more people apply for Apple than apply to Harvard. They had 10,000 applications and hired 100. They hired 1% of the applicants? I made it pretty far but pretty far don't pay the bills.

They did not call any of my references that I know of. I have bad credit but my friend who used to work for them said that would only be an issue if I was going for management, which I was not.

I honestly don't think it got that far. I think the guy that interviewed just turned me down. I even met the lady that would be my boss at the store I was working at and SHE seemed to like me.

That's just how it is I guess. I can't be too down about it.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:24 pm

Sorry to hear that Lendme, keep your chin up.
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next